PDA

View Full Version : Winter auto emergency kit - what do you carry?

Tinker
01-01-2009, 13:52
So now that it's officially winter in my state, I've been thinking about reassembling an emergency kit for my car. I usually pack a car camping sleeping bag good to about 40 degrees along with the usual flare or two. I imagine some of you carry a more complete kit if you live in a bigger state with isolated roads.
So what do you (should you) carry?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2009, 13:54
moonshine, pork rinds and a shotgun

George
01-01-2009, 14:22
don't forget the ammo without it the shotgun is no more usefull than a treking pole

KG4FAM
01-01-2009, 14:28
don't forget the ammo without it the shotgun is no more usefull than a treking polethe sound of pumping a shotgun will make a lot of folks tuck their tail between their legs and run.

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 14:42
moonshine, pork rinds and a shotgun

Comments overheard from Lone Wolf's passengers on bumpy roads"

"Mmmmm....Those porkrinds tast like moonshine."

"Yuck..That Moonshine taste like Porkinds"

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 14:49
In the back of the truck (Year'round)
Flashlight with spare batteries
Spare hat and mittens
old blue ensolite pad
old sleeping bag
4-5 disposable heating packs
Pepsi can stove and yellow bottle of heat.
old steel mug
Skinning knife
400W power converter
3/4 of a quart of water (HAd to dump it once and use the bottle as a pee bottle while stuck in traffic one afternoon in Hartford - Pretty Hard to let yourself pee sitting behind the wheel).
Coupla old power bars from 1996 (or 97)
Old Winter Climbing Snowshovel
BInoculars
spare .25 and 32 cartridges

Worldwide
01-01-2009, 15:50
For a road trip I pack all my hiking stuff

Small toolset... sockets, open end wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrench set
Thermostat (provided you know how change the one on your car...they fail at the worst times),
Timing belt
Full size spare
AAA plus card (plus gets you additional 100 miles of free towing)
Cheap tire chains ( in snowy weather )
Entrenching tool ( for digging in or out)
title to my car ( just incase it is hopelessly fooked up)
And a stack of nudey mags to kill time

Tinker
01-01-2009, 17:52
I just remembered - I should pick up a sack of coarse sand for traction (and put snow shovel in car).

garlic08
01-01-2009, 18:18
Add space blankets and duct tape.

I also saw instructions on making a large, multi-wick candle with paraffin, string, and an ammo can. Several small candle flames will keep a car warm.

Footslogger
01-01-2009, 19:37
We carry a liter of water, some energy bars, ramen noodles, a small stove and cannister of fuel and small butane lighter. Also there is a small first aid kit included.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
01-01-2009, 19:45
So now that it's officially winter in my state, I've been thinking about reassembling an emergency kit for my car. I usually pack a car camping sleeping bag good to about 40 degrees along with the usual flare or two. I imagine some of you carry a more complete kit if you live in a bigger state with isolated roads.
So what do you (should you) carry?

I just remembered - I should pick up a sack of coarse sand for traction (and put snow shovel in car).

dude, you're in R.I. and never more than a half mile from civilization :D

Wags
01-01-2009, 19:58
for you honkies w/ guns in your vehicle. remember that if your vehicle gets stolen or broken into, and that gun is used in a crime, you are responsible for it...

the bag of sand works tinker. kitty litter does as well...

i've got a big wool blanket, an old puffy vest, a knit cap, some matches, and a knife in my trunk. also a granola bar, snickers bar, and a can of tuna. didn't think of a candle, good idea. i have been stranded in winter before and it's a very scary experience, regardless of how far you are from civilization or not...

Lone Wolf
01-01-2009, 20:00
for you honkies w/ guns in your vehicle. remember that if your vehicle gets stolen or broken into, and that gun is used in a crime, you are responsible for it...

oh christ! go away yankee :rolleyes:

KG4FAM
01-01-2009, 20:29
for you honkies w/ guns in your vehicle. remember that if your vehicle gets stolen or broken into, and that gun is used in a crime, you are responsible for it...Not in SC.

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 20:37
Don't forget a hat and gloves. Lots of times I ran out without them and was glad I had an extra pair in the car. Like last week when the alternator went out and the temp was about ten degrees plus wind chill.

fiddlehead
01-01-2009, 20:40
little debbie brownies

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 20:44
little debbie brownies
They would never make it out of the driveway.

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 20:54
:cool:
for you honkies w/ guns in your vehicle. remember that if your vehicle gets stolen or broken into, and that gun is used in a crime, you are responsible for it...Yada:cool:Yada:cool:Yada:rolleyes:

woodsy
01-01-2009, 20:57
snowmobile in back of P/U, i ain't walking or waiting for anyone if i break down.

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 21:11
snowmobile in back of P/U, i ain't walking or waiting for anyone if i break down.
Should ad some ice fishing equipment, just sayin...

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 21:55
Now we're talking. SkiDoo 340 TNT Silver Bullet. Now if I could only find a parts sled......

sheepdog
01-01-2009, 22:12
Now we're talking. SkiDoo 340 TNT Silver Bullet. Now if I could only find a parts sled......
I'm kind of a 4 wheeler Yamaha Grizzly guy myself. But a good sled is ok too.

Tinker
01-02-2009, 00:30

Exactly my point. I'm in Rhode Island.

Do you really think I want to stay in Rhode Island?

I want to go far, far away when I go anywhere.;)

Tinker
01-02-2009, 00:33
little Debbie Brownies

i Think We've Found Katz!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Tinker
01-02-2009, 00:35

I had to put my old Mazda B2200 down in Oct. Frame rot, bumper to cab.:(.
Out where you live that's a great idea. What if the sled breaks down? :eek:

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 00:52
a Spare Key!

oops56
01-02-2009, 01:48
I got a spare key in my wallet it just opens door no start car the code one is hide in the trunk

robmurphy
01-02-2009, 02:38
Waterproof Matches
Space blanket
Tarp
Hand warmers
Water bottle
Metal container to melt ice
Rope
Mirror
Whistle
Snow shovel
Power bars
Knife
Candle
Flashlight and extra batteries
Tire chains
Extra gasoline
Portable jump start battery

woodsy
01-02-2009, 06:28
Out where you live that's a great idea. What if the sled breaks down? :eek:
Nothing a screwdriver, adjustable wrench and pair of pliers can't fix on one of them :D

jersey joe
01-02-2009, 09:19
Nothing a screwdriver, adjustable wrench and pair of pliers can't fix on one of them :D
Except running out of gas!

Having emergency supplies probably makes more sense in the middle of main then the middle of New Jersey...as wolf said, i'm rarely more than 1/2 mile from civilization.

JAK
01-02-2009, 11:48
Thermal underwear, wool blankets, wool hats, wool mitts, wool socks, apple juice, tea lights, lighter.

JAK
01-02-2009, 11:49
Another idea is an old deactivated cell phone with charger. You can still use it for 911.

take-a-knee
01-02-2009, 12:45
Unlike most of this thread, something actually worth reading on this topic:

http://www.kifaru.net/emergency.htm

atraildreamer
01-03-2009, 12:49

I'm in RI, too. Folks from northern RI pack a lunch and make hotel reservations when the have to travel to southern RI. After all, 42 miles is a lo-o-o-o-ng way to go! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

atraildreamer
01-03-2009, 12:52

Don't forget the SAK, WD-40 and duct tape!

Mags
01-03-2009, 23:34
I got a spare key in my wallet it just opens door no start car the code one is hide in the trunk

When I was 18, my Dad was after me to keep a spare key in my waller at all times.

I'd get home from my part time job and Dad would ask "Did you get the spare for the wallet yet?" This question happened several times.
My answers were invariably "Not yet" or "I will" or "I'll get to it"....

One day, I got a flat tire at work. Being young, male, and stupid (usually the three go hand in hand), I acted all cool when I changed the tire successfully. Placed the jack in the hatch. Closed said hatch.

My keys, of course, were locked in the car.

Guess who I had to call to bring me a spare key?

Dad drove up, handed me the spare key without saying a word. His look said it all. He drove away just as quickly as he initially proved up.

The following day, I went to the hardware store and promptly got a key.

I've had a key in my wallet ever since.

Mags
01-03-2009, 23:37
I'm in RI, too. Folks from northern RI pack a lunch and make hotel reservations when the have to travel to southern RI. After all, 42 miles is a lo-o-o-o-ng way to go! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

When m y cousin graduated from college in Boston, it was a big event. The first person in my family to graduate from college!

My family contemplated the logistics to get from Providence to Boston (1 hr away!). They seriously considered getting a hotel room for the night.

I kid you not...

They ended up getting a minivan for most of the aunts/uncles. Not to be "green" and carpool ( a bit off the radar for early 1990s blue-collar RIers!), but because it was too long a drive to go up by themselves. Seriously. :)

Blissful
01-04-2009, 00:08
cat litter for icy conditions

mudhead
01-04-2009, 08:53
My keys, of course, were locked in the car.

Guess who I had to call to bring me a spare key?

Dad drove up, handed me the spare key without saying a word. His look said it all. He drove away just as quickly as he initially proved up.

The following day, I went to the hardware store and promptly got a key.

I've had a key in my wallet ever since.
That look really should be against the law. No fun running out of gas either.

cat litter for icy conditions
This works.

I have two 5 gal buckets of sand and a shovel in the back of the truck. Need weight anyway.
Conditions, distance, and who is going add to the pile of crud I throw in before driving further than walking distance.

AAA card always.