PDA

View Full Version : Gps ?

Chicken Feathers
01-01-2009, 15:37
I would like some feed back on a good GPS. Mainly how does the new units work in the summer when all the foilage is out?:-?

Sly
01-01-2009, 16:12
The Garmin Vistsa and Legend Hcx series are suppose to be good under foliage.

BrianLe
01-01-2009, 17:40
I would look at the chipset; last year or two, the SiRF Star III chipset is regarded as quite good. I live in WA state and indeed noted a big (positive) difference in locking on to satellites in forested terrain with a GPS that used the SiRF Star III chipset. Qualcomm's MSM7200 gpsOne might be good too, dunno --- to be clear, in both cases I'm not talking about a specific GPS model or manufacturer, but the chipset used by it. That's not the only factor, but it's what I would look for if shopping for a new GPS. Well, that plus price, battery type and life, whether it offers on-device maps or not, weight, ...

rp1790
01-01-2009, 18:40
I think the secret with the Garmin units is to get one of the ones with "x" in the model name like the 60CSX Etrix HCX etc. The X signify's that it has the high sensitivity GPS chipset (Sirf II). I have a 60CSX and it's excellent, I can get a singnal 20-30 feet inside away from the window and trees, even real thick coverage are no issue.

If you've got the money for it the Oregon series are about the best you can get.

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 20:27
I picked up an Etrex (It was the top model - Vista, Vector, Summit??) about 5 years ago. Kept if for 3 years. Really learned a lot with it. Biked & Kayaked with it, Drove all over the NEand Backpacked/Dayhiked with it as well.
2 years ago I Upgraded to the Map76CSx with the Sirf II Chipset. What a difference on signal capture. Like night and day. The signal and the larger color screen are so much easier to use. In addition, We took it to europe this year and loaded the EuroCityMap - It operated flawlessly - Directions everywhere - All facilities - transportation - Hotels - just phenominal.
I could never get a signal in the house with my Etrex - even on the 2nd floor. I can get a signal with my CSX in my basement.

buckwheat
01-01-2009, 20:30
I offered a sort of a mini-review of the Garmin 60CSx in this post:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=732822&postcount=13

Cheers,
Buckwheat

fiddlehead
01-01-2009, 20:43
I think the secret with the Garmin units is to get one of the ones with "x" in the model name like the 60CSX Etrix HCX etc. The X signify's that it has the high sensitivity GPS chipset (Sirf II). I have a 60CSX and it's excellent, I can get a singnal 20-30 feet inside away from the window and trees, even real thick coverage are no issue.

If you've got the money for it the Oregon series are about the best you can get.

I agree!
I got the 60csx for trail building here in Thailand under triple canopy jungle and it works great. Never loses signal like the old ones did.
The 60 CSX is a big handheld one. The Etrex is a lot smaller (but harder on my old eyes too)

I just had the maps installed in there for Thailand too and am getting ready for an extended roadtrip with it as my guide. I hope to be on the road for a month or two with my family. Sort of a thru-hike for them. (sleeping in my tent once in a while and living on the road anyway)

humunuku
01-01-2009, 22:04
I just got a DeLorme PN-40. Its only got released in November, so I don't know how well it picks up under full leaves BUT it does pick op 5+ satellites inside my house! Its a great deal, you get Software (topo for the whole country), and 1 gig card with it. I got mine for $299 at amazon. It also can display USGS Quad maps, arial photos and NOAA nautical maps. it has 2 processors, so it draws maps really fast, I highly reccoment it... The screen, although smaller than the Garmin Oregon, is WAY brighter (yous can easily see it in bright sunlight)

Spogatz
01-01-2009, 22:38
I have a new Garmin Oregon 400t and it will even lock inside the house.

I drove up to Tray mountain the other day and it maintained lock in the car the whole way. My Etrex Vista never did that.

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2009, 23:12
Oregon and HCX models appear to have the same chip set, I was more inspired when I noticed it worked better and faster than the old etrex models.

Keep in mind a hidden Easter EGG is on the EMS web page right now - Topo USA DVD is $69 instead of $119 or $100

mississippi_dan
01-02-2009, 00:02
I also have excellent results with the Garmin 76Cx under summer forest canopy. Couple of tips if you want/need the best accuracy: 1-get a 12v vehicle attachment so you can have the unit running on the way to the trailhead. 2-carry the unit in the top of your pack so that your body doesn't block signal. If you really want to be geeky, you can get an external antenna and put it on top of your cap/hat. I use one by Gilson, it looks like one of the XM radio antennas. IMHO this setup is every bit as good as many of the larger GPS units used by government agencies that cost thousands.

Dan