PDA

View Full Version : WM Ultralite--how snug is it?

.5step
01-02-2009, 02:17
I don't mean to spam the board, but I'm hoping someone can answer this question.

In my quest to lighten my load (see earlier posts) I've been looking into a new lighter, warmer sleeping bag.

I've settled on the WM Ultralite or Alpinlite, but have read reviews stating:

a) the ultralite is too snug
b) the alpinlite is too roomy and therefore not as warm

I am 5'8, 170#, average build. I sleep on my back but tend to switch from side to side before settling in (at least that's what the lady says).

I'm going to REI tomorrow to try other bags with similar cuts, but is there anything other than the cut that makes the ultralite more snug/alpinlite more roomy?

I'm at least 150 miles away from the closest WM dealer..

buckwheat
01-02-2009, 08:19
Remember: While you are at the outfitter, at least ask if they have any "demo" models you could take home. They probably won't, but your reason for asking is to set up for the real question:

"What is your return policy." If possible, get it in writing. Take the bag home and sleep in it a couple of nights on top of your bed.

Seeker
01-02-2009, 08:39
check the WM website again... you've got a dealer in charlottesville, VA, which is (according to them) only 78 miles from DC...

i'm 5-10, 175... the Ultralite was a bit too snug for me. Not tight, but not comfortable. The alpinlite was wonderful, and will be what i get if i ever need something warmer. (i ended up getting a Caribou just due to weight and my location (deep South)... didn't need one that warm.)

bigcranky
01-02-2009, 08:43
My wife had, and then sold, an Ultralite last year. She is 5-4, maybe 120 soaking wet. But she likes to move around in her sleep, and the bag was just too narrow for her. Otherwise a very nice bag.

She ended up with a Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger, 30-F model.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 10:42
Womens cuts are different then mens cuts and are stuffed differently too call WM they are super cool peeps. Or the gang at Mountian Crossings sells a ton of WM product. They can probably answer your question

rp1790
01-02-2009, 11:11
Not sure what temp rating you are looking at but a quick google shows a WM Ultralite at 20F rating with a weight of 1lb 13oz. You might want to have a look at the Montbell UL SS Down Hugger # 2 (800 fill). It's rated to 25F and weighs 1lb 12oz. It has a baffles in it which stretch when you sleep on your side.

I have one of these and have slept down to 28F with a T-Shirt/undies and was a bit warm, actually sweated a little. You can get these at less than retail at http://www.plateauoutdoors.com/montbell-800-ul-ss-down-hugger-8002254.html. Their price is $267 and if you ring them it might be cheaper. I remember buying either the sleeping bag or some Montbell clothing from these guys and the price over the phone was cheaper than what they were "allowed" to put on the website.

P.S. Montbell have a 30 day return policy, you can try it and return it no questions asked, it'd just cost you the postage.

Johnny Swank
01-02-2009, 11:53
The Ultralight long I tried on was too snug/ (6'2", 220). From memory, it has about the same dimensions as a REI Sub-Kilo. I'm getting the Alpinelite myself.

.5step
01-02-2009, 12:14
check the WM website again... you've got a dealer in charlottesville, VA, which is (according to them) only 78 miles from DC...

That's odd...the first two times I used the search feature on the site it said the closest dealers were in 1) Traverse City, Michigan and 2) Richmond, VA.

A-Train
01-02-2009, 12:19
I'm 6'2, 200. Never thought it was too snug. The bag has seen lots and lots of nights out, a great investment!

asm109
01-02-2009, 15:29
I am 6 foot 215. The Ultralite was way too snug.
I bought the Alpinlite long. The regular was too short for me.

Take a look at the Versalite. It is a 10 degree bag that weighs the same as the Alpinlite. How do they do that? It is cut with a girth midway between the Alpinlite and the Ultralite. The outfitter I visited did not stock the Versalite so I could not try it out.

Kerosene
01-02-2009, 17:49
I'm 5'9", 175. The UltraLite works fine for me, but you definitely know that it's a mummy and there's not much extra room. My 4-year old bag weighs in at 26 ounces.

Camping Dave
01-03-2009, 21:13
5'11", 185 lbs. The ultralite is too snug. (I have a Highlite, which has the same dimensions)

windy city
01-03-2009, 22:41
5'8" 180 lbs. Ultralite regular is a good fit for me.

pyroman53
01-03-2009, 23:01
I have the Summerlite (same dimensions as the Ultralite I think) and its tight. No question. I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs. Tall and skinny...and its tight. Since I roll with the bag (rather than within it) its no problem. In fact, I prefer a tight bag to facilitate this action.

I also have a Veraslite, (a bit tighter than than the Alpinlite) and its plenty big (although not too much left over room)

.5step
01-04-2009, 01:51
I ordered the Versalite yesterday.

As most everyone has said--I have no doubt that I'll be happy with any WM product...and won't regret the extra warmth.

Cheapest 6 month rent I'll ever have :)

Thanks for all the advice!