PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry Toilet Paper?

flyfisher
04-16-2004, 10:51
I thought for a while before I made my decision not to carry toilet paper on the trail. I did some experimenting in the woods around home before setting out on my first multiday hike sans toilet paper. That was about 200 miles ago. However, it interests me to find out how many of my fellow hikers might have come to a similar conclusion.

(BTW, dry leaves and small flat stones are a lot better than green leaves.) Oh, and i DO know what poison ivy looks like.

mdjeeper
04-16-2004, 10:59
never leave home without :) one of those multi-use items i just gotta have with me.. handy dandy firestarter, good for cleaning the glasses, dabbing at those lil scratches that want to bleed but not enough for a band-aid..so many uses!!

The Old Fhart
04-16-2004, 11:04
mdjeeper,
You are referring to TP's multi-use but I assume that is not after it has been used for the primary use. :)

Skeemer
04-16-2004, 11:35
Yeah, but I try be conservative...I use one sheet, stick my finger through it and wipe. One roll lasts forever! :o

chomp
04-16-2004, 11:41
No TP for me. When out for my first night in the woods without and manged to get by. Smooth stones are they best, but I am not picky.

Footslogger
04-16-2004, 11:55
I started off on my thru last year carrying partial rolls of TP. Somewhere along the trail I discovered the small travel packs of pre-moistened wipes. Never went back to TP again ...and most likely never will. The wipes may be a tad heavier but are much more versatile. I found them to be available everywhere, including the small convenient stores where I sometimes re-supplied. One thing I did when I bought them was to wring out the excess moisture and place the towlettes in a small zip lock bag. Kept them on the outside of my pack.

Anyhow ...it worked for me !!

'Slogger

veteran
04-16-2004, 12:43
Carry two Red & one White Corn Cobs.
Use one red then one white to see if you need another red, on and on.

TedB
04-17-2004, 11:43
Eat with your right hand, wipe with your left hand. No TP required. Billions of people can't be wrong.

Seriously, I carry TP, although if there are good natural materials nearby I'll use them first.

Kozmic Zian
04-17-2004, 20:00
Yea.....TP. The Thing is Andy....best get a little bit off of a roll (gas station, hostel, hotel, city toilet) or enough for the number of days you plan to be out (don't get the s****) and wrap it around your hand, then put it in a zip lock. You'd be surprised how much a full roll of TP weighs. So, you'd be better off with about 10-20 wraps around your hand. Zipp keeps the moisture out. Works for me. KZ@

peter_pan
04-17-2004, 22:45
One more new one.....Never use a smooth stone to toss your bear bag line, :-? or as Mom says wash after you throw stones :rolleyes: ....Do you always turn the "used side down" ;) ... LNT... :clap ... And no skipping rocks. Especially, since we all know that smooth ones make the most skips :jump ... Do you carry paper in PA? There are no smooth stones in PA on the AT :o ....

Jaybird
04-18-2004, 08:55
I thought for a while before I made my decision not to carry toilet paper on the trail. I did some experimenting in the woods around home before setting out on my first multiday hike sans toilet paper. That was about 200 miles ago. However, it interests me to find out how many of my fellow hikers might have come to a similar conclusion.(BTW, dry leaves and small flat stones are a lot better than green leaves.) Oh, and i DO know what poison ivy looks like.

but do you know what Poison Oak & Sumac looks like? ;)

I carry one "emergency" small roll of TP (Charmin makes a 1/4 size roll already encased in lightweight plastic...no tube) or just use the Handi-wipes i carry (for multi-purpose use..washing face, & other body parts, etc etc)

but, i have used leaves when the compost privys provide & encourage the use. Great idea.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2004, 08:57
No paper. I use my fingers then share my gorp.

Youngblood
04-18-2004, 09:38
What would be the term for those that put a cork in while on the trail?

art to linda
04-18-2004, 10:29
this is one thing that is a bit on the easier side for you gents :D we ladies most deffinatly need to know what poision oak looks like as we spend our time closer to the ground (and some of us are short enough to start with) ....am thinking about the handy wipe though, sounds like a good idea!

Skeemer
04-18-2004, 11:19
LW, everyone is right...you are an ******* :D

flyfisher
04-18-2004, 13:56
but do you know what Poison Oak & Sumac looks like? ;)

Yes, though I have never seen either on/along the portions of the AT I have been on. There are MANY variations in the look of poison ivy, from 3/4 in leaves to 4 in monster leaves. The stems are always pretty much the same.

Any way I am partial to the leaves in a hardwood forest, in which all these vines are fairly uncommon. There are also some cool soft/toilet paper like dry leaves in some areas. I have not seen them on the AT, but they are common in the BWCA.

flyfisher
04-18-2004, 13:59
No paper. I use my fingers then share my gorp.

This seems like a good reason not to take offered GORP. Now, shared beer I will take.

I hope to meet you one day LW, I will remember to offer but not to take. And, would you mind if I pour my gorp in your hands? ;)

flyfisher
04-18-2004, 14:02
Just a note at this point:

The voting is running 50 yes for carrying TP, 3 of us don't carry. I did not know the majority was so dominant. Thanks. I will continue monitoring.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2004, 14:29
I actually carry colored and scented TP and half bury it just to piss off the tree huggin hippies. :cool:

Ramble~On
04-19-2004, 05:32
Toilet Paper ? I thought that was what shelter mice were for.:jump

SGT Rock
04-19-2004, 10:48
I with L Wolf on that. But to make them even madder I wipe with pinecones and rocks and just half bury paper wih snot on it.

Chappy
04-19-2004, 17:13
I with L Wolf on that. But to make them even madder I wipe with pinecones and rocks and just half bury paper wih snot on it.

Wow Sarge...you've come back a changed man! :D

SGT Rock
04-19-2004, 18:01
I sneak the pinecones and rocks into bad hikers packs when they aren't looking.

Chappy
04-20-2004, 07:46
I sneak the pinecones and rocks into bad hikers packs when they aren't looking.

So I can be sure and be a "good hiker," how do you determine a "bad hiker?"
Don't want any pinecones and rocks in my pack! :D

SGT Rock
04-20-2004, 08:55
People with obnoxious dogs, people that leave trash all over (except for snotty TP), but never a hiker with a gun. :eek:

flyfisher
04-21-2004, 13:38
After 5 days of voting, 84 people have responded. 80 or 81 of you carry TP. Two members plant TP flowers on the trail.

With all this going on, I am surprised to only see a couple TP flowers a week on the trail.

My conclusions:
1. I am a member of a small minority.
2. I am going to watch Sgt Rock closely and investigate some sort of a lock for my pack.
3. I am going to buy stock in TP companies.
4. I am going to leave you to wonder what your ancestors did for the 100,000 years before TP was invented.
5. Now, excuse me, I'll be back in a little while....

max patch
04-21-2004, 13:58
4. I am going to leave you to wonder what your ancestors did for the 100,000 years before TP was invented.

Flyfisher. obviously there was a reason why mankind found it necessary to invent TP?

If leaves "really" worked as well as TP we would all have a basket of them in our bathrooms.

Good luck.

flyfisher
04-21-2004, 14:30
Flyfisher. obviously there was a reason why mankind found it necessary to invent TP?

I just did a google search... roll toilet paper was introduced in 1906. Before that, Sears catalogs were the instrument of choice along the AT, and before that, corn cobs.

SGT Rock
04-21-2004, 15:16
I suppose a corn cob could be carried and claned for re-used. I wonder what one weighs :-?

Chappy
04-21-2004, 16:27
I suppose a corn cob could be carried and claned for re-used. I wonder what one weighs :-?

Lightest would probably be a mini-hybrid Indian corn, usually three to four inches long. However, Silverqueen cob would be much softer! :D

eyahiker
05-17-2004, 22:09
HEEE HEE HEE, I needed a good laugh, glad I stumbled upon this post:clap

SavageLlama
05-17-2004, 22:41
Ultralight is one thing.. but come on, the weight of a little TP is negligible.

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 17:05
Yeah well, you try dragging a piece that's hanging out of your shorts for another 20 miles......hmm let's see thats .000004398474646 ounces times 20, figure in the pull of gravity and the elasticity of the shorts while under pressure from the pack..........:bse

Better yet how about this? http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/currencynew.shtml

Bill Harris
05-18-2004, 17:59
AH! This discussion has brought about poetry from the old Days.

Here I sit,my a-- in a caper
The person before me used all the paper
My lunch is ready,I cannot linger
Lookout a--h---,here comes my finger :banana

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 18:02
THAT is truly disgusting.

Bill Harris
05-18-2004, 18:09
Nothing wrong with getting a little earthy, besides it's only poetry and I would never think of doing that. :D

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 18:36
Thanks for sharing, I am no longer eating my dinner ;)

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 14:27
Same tune, different variation told to me long ago:

Here I sit in sweat and vapor,
the one before me left no paper.
There's a line outside, so I won't linger,
Ah what the hell, I'll use my finger.

I just bring some tp in a ziploc. The remaining clean tp goes in the pocket, the used goes in the ziploc. Tried the leaves and snow trick, don't particularly want to again.

Bill Harris
05-27-2004, 14:55
Pencil Pusher, that's a geat one.I'll have to add it to my collection.Your'er right about the telit paper being kept in a baggie.My first trip to the privy on the AT was at Springer Mt.It was pouring rain and in my haste,I grabbed my TP and took off to the privy.By the time I reached the privy my TP was one huge spitwad ,so I was left with a handfull of leaves.I learned alot that morning..... :-?

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 15:00
I always keep two separate baggies of TP....that way if you have to go in the rain..you always have a reserve that is dry

Kozmic Zian
05-27-2004, 17:46
Yea.....Keepin' it clean! The pioneers used corn cobs...you imagine? Nowadays the hikers use scented, chemically doused, wet knaps to keep their tushes preened. Go figya! Look how far we've come....all clean and scented up so the bears, skunks and porcupines can locate us while we sleep! KZ@:p

Pirate
07-30-2004, 12:59
I like to poop on the trail, then sprinkle berries on top and then it looks like bear poop. No toilet paper for me, just use my sleeves.

smokymtnsteve
07-30-2004, 12:59
I have seen that...makes good fertilizer

Lone Wolf
07-30-2004, 13:01
Oh Jesus! Pirate is out of the woods. Found him a puter.

smokymtnsteve
07-30-2004, 13:13
Oh Jesus! Pirate is out of the woods. Found him a puter.

Danger, Danger...make sue you log out if PIRATE is around and your on a public puter,,Danger danger..

also keep an eye out for smoking pickup trucks...

sgtjinx
07-30-2004, 14:05
Hey, Take is why we wear underwear for.:jump

Streamweaver
07-30-2004, 15:59
Do I carry Toilet Paper? Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?!?!? Streamweaver

Verlager
08-15-2004, 18:19
One cool thing to do during deer hunting season .... is to go out the night before and place tootsie roll pieces in a pile on the trail. Then, next day when you and a friend are walking the trail, act really surprised when you come across what looks like deer droppings.

Pick up a piece and stare at it, and ask "Is this good to eat?"

Then take a bite and say "Oh, so delicious..!"

Lilred
08-15-2004, 19:36
One cool thing to do during deer hunting season .... is to go out the night before and place tootsie roll pieces in a pile on the trail. Then, next day when you and a friend are walking the trail, act really surprised when you come across what looks like deer droppings.

Pick up a piece and stare at it, and ask "Is this good to eat?"

Then take a bite and say "Oh, so delicious..!"

LOLOL now that's funny!!

Connie
08-15-2004, 20:21
I was LOL on the comment's on corncobs ..
ultralight corncobs, soft corncobs, washing corncobs.

I'd like to hear more about the merits of corncobs.

eyahiker
08-15-2004, 21:58
There are also dehydrated corncobs, as well as organic corn cobs. coming soon in a Cabelas catalog near you.

TakeABreak
08-16-2004, 18:26
Yeah, I use it never leave without it, but I use the bio-degradeable stuff. You can get it at the local wal mart in the RV supplies and put a roll in each mail drop. It beaks down quicker, making it easier on the privys and designated toilet areas.

titanium_hiker
01-06-2005, 14:52
I guess one shouldn't drag up old posts... but what the hey.

the one about shelter mice had me rolling. near tears.

Oh: was at a school camp where the head conselor showed us what do do if we had one sheet left: fold up into forths. rip the corner so that you have a mini poncho. transfer corner to other hand. put tp over finger. wipe. pull poncho off finger... pretty clean... then use the corner for your fingernail.... typical response from the girls... "EWWWWWW" heheheh.

titanium

U-BOLT
01-06-2005, 15:16
No, I just use poison ivy leaves. :banana

Valmet
01-07-2005, 23:57
Corn cobs come in 2 basic colors, brown and white. In the past you would see a bucket of each color in the outhouse. The reason was, use the brown first then the white to see if you need another brown.

I use TP due to I find I get monkey butt without it.

grrickar
01-08-2005, 01:38
Leaves work just as well if you run out of TP.

saimyoji
01-08-2005, 01:40
squirrels, chipmunks, bunnies work very well also

Valmet
01-08-2005, 10:13
Those little critters work well if you have the back up, but make the mistake of using the underside where the claws and teeth are, well could be a problem.

trailfinder
01-09-2005, 10:43
Always, always carry toilet paper. Obviously be conservative in its use and obviously always bury it in your cathole!

orangebug
01-09-2005, 11:35
Be considerate and don't use it in a shelter or around others without asking permission.

Sorry, that was for the cell phone thread. :banana

Gonzo!
01-10-2005, 09:18
Always, always carry toilet paper. Obviously be conservative in its use and obviously always bury it in your cathole! My journal is titled "All In One Roll" - Now you know why!
www.2000milehike.com (http://www.2000milehike.com)

Of course I did not use my supply of T.P. whenever I had access to another source! :D

cyclocrosser
01-10-2005, 17:48
toilet paper all the way. Ain't nothing worse than a stick up the A. :banana

Chantilly Lace
01-10-2005, 18:04
That paperback book that you take along to pass the time makes great TP. Read, tear off the page and save for that necessary moment!

Pokemom :o

snowhoe
01-26-2006, 12:52
I am only going to bring 10 squares of toilet paper that is all you need for a 2 month hike. I get the three ply toilet paper and rip them into indivdual sheets, when I am all done doing my pooping and I am ready to wipe I poke my finger through the middle of the paper wipe by bunns with my finger and then use the paper to wipe my finger. After that I rinse the paper off and let it dry. Its good up to 4 wipes.

Stoker53
01-26-2006, 15:26
Remember that you can't get into heaven with a dirty (_|_) hole and none of us know when our time is up.

Be prepared and always carry TP with you.

hikerjohnd
01-26-2006, 16:33
I usually wait until the next water source and wash my arse off in there... :D:D:D

wyclif
01-26-2006, 18:41
Eat with your right hand, wipe with your left hand. No TP required. Billions of people can't be wrong.

Depends on what part of the world you happen to be in. In certain Asian countries, I understand the reverse is true (wipe right, shake left).

This is why it's considered rude and insulting in some countries to shake hands with your right hand. Or to shake hands at all.

betic4lyf
01-26-2006, 20:44
i just use leaves. i would never leave tp behind, as it really ruins the place for everyone. i just dig a hole with a stick, pop a squat, wipe with some leaves, then cover her up. there is no way i am carrying my used tp with me.

Hammock Hanger
01-27-2006, 01:43
I allow myself 1-2 wet wipes each morning to wash my face and then.... (I always pack these out.) I use a dab rag during the day and it is easily rinsed out and air dried.

One of my pet peeves is seeing wads of TP.

Johnny Appleseed
01-28-2006, 02:29
Use sycamore leaves and then maybe only 1 or 2 wipes. Using less means less carried. At convenience stores a wad can be had with two hands with the motion referees use to call travelling in basketball. This would eliminate the need for a whole roll or 4 pack if selection is bad. Yes its cheap, but job is done.:-?

MedicineMan
01-28-2006, 04:31
you just have to understand or make the effort to understand northern humor gone south....besides i sat beside him at the Thanksgiving feed at Miss Janets, would I sit by an *******---or does it take one to know one?

Heater
01-28-2006, 06:20
I just find a grassy area and drag myself around.
Woof woof! :)

Heater
01-28-2006, 06:21
you just have to understand or make the effort to understand northern humor gone south....besides i sat beside him at the Thanksgiving feed at Miss Janets, would I sit by an *******---or does it take one to know one?

Uhmmm... did he pass you the rolls? :-?

MedicineMan
01-29-2006, 01:58
come to think of it he did, and later that night i got terribly sick :(

Ridge
01-29-2006, 04:10
TP on the trail is a staple item but ends up on the endangered list quite often. I think its the most borrowed (no return on used portion) item on the trail. Also, Gold Bond is another sought after item. I probably used 30 gals of the stuff. TP and zips of Gold Bond was in every drop box I got.

mweinstone
02-04-2006, 15:05
eat fiber and use almost no paper. allways carry 3 small rolls.the kind with no hole in the middle.allways burn paper in cat hole. allways wash with water and hand after. only moon tour busses. sometimes its use as tinder when its raining is more important than its use as a wipe. anyone ever have to burn money ?

Twofiddy
02-04-2006, 20:17
Yeah, but I try be conservative...I use one sheet, stick my finger through it and wipe. One roll lasts forever! :o

Um like there was a guy who murdered his gay partner for buying the stuff that your finger accidentally pops through. It made the Darwin awards a few years back.

Charmin Ultra on my bum, both on the trail and at home and in the Jeep.