PDA

View Full Version : Are y'all taking Gore-tex or non-Gore-tex shoes?

Zia
01-02-2009, 12:00
I usually hike in the desert so waterproof shoes are not a concern. The AT will be wet and muddy so is it better to have a shoe that lets water in, but dries quickly or one that doesn't let water in. But I've heard the goretex shoes don't breath or dry very quickly when they get wet. Thanks.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 12:20
I never use goretex / membranes in footwear. In my experience your feet still get wet but the shoes take longer to dry. The exception for me is when I snowshoe. See what others have to say though since I stopped using goretex about 5 years ago might have changed it up a bit since my experience.

KG4FAM
01-02-2009, 12:23
I'm leaving in Feb with Goretex. Later on I will switch to regular.

Kerosene
01-02-2009, 17:47
You're correct, Gore-tex boots don't breathe and take forever to dry out once they're soaked.

I'm never buying another Gore-tex boot again, at least not for anything more than weekend hiking. I'd rather go with a leather/mesh boot and apply waterproofing. I haven't been won over by the pure mesh philosophy, as I'd at least like new socks to last an hour before they get drenched by walking through a dewy meadow.

wrongway_08
01-02-2009, 20:29
Forget Gore-tex foot wear.
Takes a long time to dry out.
Once the membrane gets dirty, it doesnt work worth crap anyways.
It only holds off the water for a little while, then your feet get wet any ways.
Boots will get nasty and take forever to dry out.
Traps water in the shoe after they get wet - just adds extra weight to every step.

After hiking for a while, you'll figure out it easier and cheaper to have non-water proof foot wear.

Blue Jay
01-02-2009, 21:00
I have always used Goretex trail shoes, however I'm well aware that it is a minority opinion. My feet stay relatively dry until water goes over the top. I've even had the outer shell wear through and the liner still keeps my feet dry. I think it does not work for others due to sweat.

Compass
01-02-2009, 22:17
It depends on the duration of your hike. In the winter for less than a week Gore might be great but once the footweare gets saturated it will take 2-3 days of dry weather to dry out versus 2 hours for vented TRunners.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 23:09
Clean the exterior with a cloth or brush and lukewarm water. The manufacturer may recommend leather treatment or preservation. Shake out sand, gravel, and dirt from inside the footwear. Remove and shake out the foot bed if applicable. Dry naturally at moderate temperatures. Avoid direct heat. Convection-style boot driers work well.
WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
We do not recommend the use of waterproofing waxes or greases as they can affect the footwear's breath ability. Apply only treatments, polishes, conditioners, and dressings recommended by the manufacturer.

Interior sweat is an issue, it gets locked in. I have seen boots retain soaking water for months regardless of Gortex.

For Thur hiker's I would recommend these boots for Pennsylvania rocks, moccasins are adequate for the rest of the trail ( I am so kidding....)

Tinker
01-02-2009, 23:16
I usually hike in the desert so waterproof shoes are not a concern. The AT will be wet and muddy so is it better to have a shoe that lets water in, but dries quickly or one that doesn't let water in. But I've heard the goretex shoes don't breath or dry very quickly when they get wet. Thanks.

You've heard right. They're just fine for a dayhike where you can dry your sweat soaked socks back at home. I used them for 9 days in Georgia in March of '06. It was unseasonably warm except for the last two days, and my feet were never really dry because of the GT liner. Thankfully, I was using Smartwool socks which wick well and dry reasonably quickly once you get your hardly breathable, totally waterproof, GoreTex boots off (and that's the fabric ones). Leather dries even more slowly. I can't imagine a full leather boot with a Gore-tex liner being breathable at all. The bellows action of the pressure of each step blows more moisture out of your footwear than any membrane can. More and more people are using breathable low nylon hikers or trail runners each year. Boots are fine if you're expecting snow.

lingo
01-03-2009, 02:36
I use a pair of soft shell trail runners when I am running and they are great for that. The group i run with often does water crossings ( sometimes swimming). The soft shell shoes dry very quickly and don't hold water. Much more breathable than Gore. If you don't want to wear boots I would go with soft shell. I am going to wear boots; I want the ankle support.

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 11:29
I am leaving NOBO late Feb. No goretex, Merrell Trail Runners. One of the few I could find in Wide sizes. Dicks Sporting Goods special orders them for me and has agreed to ship them to me wherever I am. I pulled the factory insoles out and am trying different soles in my practice hikes. They are great so far. For socks I was up at Mountain Crossings over the holiday. Spent some time with "Alpine". Great guy! They are now really promoting Bridgedale over Smartwool. Said they will hold up longer and cushioning will last longer. So I have tried them with a Bridgedale Liner and after several miles of walking I haven't even got a hot spot. (I blister super easy) Here is the link to the Merrell shoe. http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=m&pcid=71173

Brett
01-03-2009, 18:35
What do yall think about wearing trail runner shoes...along with an athletic ankle strap...like you wear when you sprain your ankle? Just thinking it might be the best of both worlds? Shoes dry fast and still get support?? correct me if this is a bad idea!

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 13:48
gortex schmortex. No such thing as a waterproof shoe. save your money

saimyoji
01-04-2009, 15:24
i went hiking in sandals and wool socks yesterday in 30* weather...my feet still sweat, goretex? not for me.

skinny minnie
01-05-2009, 15:21
In temps that aren't too cold, I've been very happy with wool socks and mesh/breathable trail runners. Even very wet conditions. The shoes themselves work really well with the wool socks to wick moisture away. Right now I'm using a Mizuno trail runner.

I've also used goretex trail runners - after a few months/200+ miles the goretex has definitely failed and in conditions where it was not excessively wet, too. I've hiked in worse conditions with a non-goretex trailrunner and felt drier because the water wicked away better. Of course, eventually your feet are wet and stay wet, but it's not an issue in warmer weather and the shoes will dry more quickly. In hot weather, goretex shoes are going to be a lot warmer/sweaty. I now only use the goretex trail runners on winter hikes.

Plodderman
01-05-2009, 15:44
Do not care for Gore-Tex. I use trail runners and they work just fine. On the AT you are going to get wet and it is hard to get your shoes to dry out

Gentle Ben
01-18-2009, 01:14
Starting Feb 15th will the non gortex Merrell trail runners work well in this cold weather?

sticks&stones
01-18-2009, 01:51
gor-tex is only good for 80lbs per square inch. depending on terrain, and body weight, one's foot pressing on various points of a gor-tex fabric membrane can exceed several 100lbs.

Mr. Parkay
01-18-2009, 04:24
Another solution is to wear mesh shoes with a gore-tex sock liner, to keep your hiking socks dry. This combination has worked well for me in the past when hiking through snow. The downside is that your hiking socks eventually get wet from your feet sweating, so they have to be rotated on occasion.

the_black_spot
01-18-2009, 12:31
i'll be taking non gore tex. last trip i took my goretex boots. they worked well on day one, through snow and many a surgin stream crossing. by day three, they were soaked, water was collected in them, and they were freezing at night.

Toolshed
01-18-2009, 13:22
I have been using the NB 80X Series (Non GTX) for many years and last year got a pair of NB's with Goretex (Same Last #SL1, but Different model#).
I like them in the wet and cold, but last fall on a section, in hot dry weather, I got a blister under my toe for the first time with NB's -It was because the GTX was keeping my feet too warm and damp.
Maybe you could start with GTX and switch to non GTX as it warms up..... or go with the sealskins.....

the_black_spot
01-19-2009, 10:35
my plan is to have some spare plastic bags for wet weather. you just wear a shopping bag over your feet. bag tex.

Gypsy"04"
01-25-2009, 17:03
I did from Springer to Hot Springs in Dunham trail runners and never had a problem the entire distance, foot-wise. I found them to be very light and comfortable the entire 280 miles. And anyone knows that started in late March last year, we were wet all the time.

Tinker
01-25-2009, 17:31
Gore-Tex is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just as sure to get you killed as COTTONNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding :):):D.
It's fine for an overnight or weekend. In cold weather I find it makes my feet colder as moisture builds up inside my boots. They take longer to dry out as well since they're always somewhat damp inside and the inside dampness must be expelled through the ankle opening. There's no flow-through ventilation like you get from a nylon mesh shoe or boot to aid in drying times.
Again - fine for weekend hikes. Hot in summer, cold in winter, from my experience.

SGT Rock
01-25-2009, 17:34
Another solution is to wear mesh shoes with a gore-tex sock liner, to keep your hiking socks dry. This combination has worked well for me in the past when hiking through snow. The downside is that your hiking socks eventually get wet from your feet sweating, so they have to be rotated on occasion.
I used something similar. Left the Goretex off until I needed it.

Tinker
01-25-2009, 17:35
These http://www.sealskinz.com/
inside of trail runners or sandals, are what I use most often lately. They've been good in warm fall weather in Maine, and cold winter weather in NY (snow and ice, and even got one wet during a stream crossing - foot was as warm as the other in 20 minutes with temps in the low 20s). As soon as you stop take them off, as the moisture quickly cools inactive feet.

Egads
01-25-2009, 19:29
Gore-tex low cuts

rainmaker
01-25-2009, 20:03
Madame and I have both used Vasque Breeze GTX boots for the last two yearts with no complaints. We only section hike in the fall so maybe that has an effect.

dmb658
01-31-2009, 16:56
it really doesnt matter, your going to get wet

Zia
02-03-2009, 01:26
ive been using inov8 flyroc 315's for the past two weeks in the mud and snow here in new mexico and they work great. they are highly breathable and work great. they are also only 22oz.

kytrailman
02-05-2009, 10:00
gore-tex trail runners are a waste because water will come in anyways-- gore-tex boots=too heavy and long dry times. You will be fine with non gore-tex footwear. Just do what you can to dry 'em out at night, or do what I do and just wake up and put them on. They will warm in a few minutes when you get movin. Damp socks will warm up too--- by the end of the third week or so-- you will know what works for you. Good luck..

weary
02-05-2009, 21:37
O bouht a pair of Gore Texk boots in Virginia. I haven't bought another pair.

Weary

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 21:39
i would rather have boots that dont let water in

Beano
02-20-2009, 20:48
No matter what shoes you wear, they are going to get soaked in a storm after a long enough time. Its useless to fight it. Just pick shoes that will dry quickly and are comfortable (break them in well). Here's what I've been wearing for about a year, and what I'm wearing on my thru. Best shoes ive ever bought- http://www.rei.com/product/763460
You can get them for about $60+shipping at finishline.com. They are also very light.