PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get off AT after GA (nobo)?

urbansix
01-02-2009, 12:16
I was starting to plan a GA thru-hike for this summer. I'm using TOPO! mapping. I was wondering what the best exit strategy would be for getting to a paved road for a pickup after crossing the GA state line North bound. The AT itself appears to meander on for 25 miles before crossing one at Wallace Gap, unless I'm missing it. So I'm looking at a few trails that drop down to US 64 from about 3 miles inside NC (between White Oak Stamp and Big Laurel).

A) One follows "Chunky Gal Mountain" ridge until it hits US 64 at Riley Cove (~5.5 mi.)

B) One follows this trail for 2 miles then drops away west to hit US 64 at what appears to be Muskrat Branch (shortest route, ~3 mi. from AT, 6 from GA)

C) One hits a logging road ("unnamed street") that follows Buck Creek down and hits US 64 a few hundred yards East of Riley Cove. Roughly parallel to option A.

I know this is neither here nor there if you are not looking at a map and have not hiked it yourself. But thought I'd take a shot and see if anybody had. Depending on how plans develop, this may be an insertion point instead - probably easier that way. So really just looking for advice to get to/from the AT near the GA state line. And how well marked any of these trails might be.

Thanks!

Doughnut
01-02-2009, 12:20
Kimsey Creek trail from Standing Indian Campground would be my pick. If you get off the trail there, there is a hot shower waiting for you,

DoughNut

max patch
01-02-2009, 12:24
Kimsey Creek trail from Standing Indian Campground would be my pick. If you get off the trail there, there is a hot shower waiting for you,

DoughNut

Exactly.

Heading NOBO, the KCT is at Deep Gap in NC.

KG4FAM
01-02-2009, 12:32
If you are leaving the car in GA then just backtrack to Blue Ridge Gap and get picked up for your shuttle there at the forest service road. Kimsey Creek trail works too, but it would be a longer shuttle.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 12:44
just make it easy on yourself and get off at Dicks Creek Gap/US 76 and hike the 9 miles to the border on your next section hike

max patch
01-02-2009, 12:49
If you are leaving the car in GA then just backtrack to Blue Ridge Gap and get picked up for your shuttle there at the forest service road. Kimsey Creek trail works too, but it would be a longer shuttle.

OP wanted a paved road. BRG is sometimes unpassable, sometimes passable only with high clearance vehicle. SIC is also a better place to wait for either party.

max patch
01-02-2009, 12:50
just make it easy on yourself and get off at Dicks Creek Gap/US 76 and hike the 9 miles to the border on your next section hike

Thats not a GA thru.

urbansix
01-02-2009, 12:50
Hey there's a thought - or could backtrack to US 76....

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 12:52
Hey there's a thought - or could backtrack to US 76....

yup. do that. hikin' is hikin'

Doughnut
01-02-2009, 13:35
Urban, Are you tenting or staying in shelters? If you are tenting/hammocking, there's an excellent place just before the NC border. I have to look at a map, but I believe is Rocky Knob, just to the west of the trail. Great place to camp.

DoughNut

urbansix
01-02-2009, 13:43
Urban, Are you tenting or staying in shelters? If you are tenting/hammocking, there's an excellent place just before the NC border. I have to look at a map, but I believe is Rocky Knob, just to the west of the trail. Great place to camp.

DoughNut

Hammocking...but this was about getting to a paved road/car pickup spot...not camping. :rolleyes:

Tennessee Viking
01-02-2009, 20:44
The forest road to Deep Gap is very driveable even for low clearance vehicles. But if it must be paved, I would go to Wallace Gap or Winding Stair Gap. This way you can take in Standing Indian.

Mongoose2
01-02-2009, 20:49

DoughNut

This is what I did, Kimsey Creek trail is a nice walk down to the park. Caution: It is not well marked at some of the turns....

bigmac_in
01-02-2009, 21:00
I took Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground last year. It's a good hike and an excellent way to end a hike. Doughnut is right - you can get a shower at the campground as well. There are a couple of places you could get turned around, but Ron Haven has a pretty good hand drawn map that might help.

l0ngterm
01-02-2009, 21:05
I did the GA Thru thing in 2007. Got off at Deep Gap. Parked my car there and shuttled to the start. If you demand a paved road and are willing to hike a bit further as you indicate, just walk out of Deep Gap on the Forest Service road to Hwy 64. As busy as its been everytime I've been there, you will most likely get a ride out or worse case, end up hiking the 5.5 miles out. Not a bad hike if it ends up that way. The only other option is to backtrack from the GA/NC border to US76.

This year, I picked back up at Deep Gap (shuttled there from Fontana Dam) and walked North. This year picking back up at Fontana and doing the Smokies or maybe all the way to Sams Gap.

l0ngterm

Ron Haven
01-02-2009, 21:22
I took Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground last year. It's a good hike and an excellent way to end a hike. Doughnut is right - you can get a shower at the campground as well. There are a couple of places you could get turned around, but Ron Haven has a pretty good hand drawn map that might help.He didn't state the time but FS71 to Deep Gap is closed til 3/15/09 and Kimsey Creek would be a good pick because if you go up Muscrat Branch or the Chunky Gal Trail you will have to back track again some day to do all the trail.

To take a short cut to the Kimsey.Follow exact,1/10 mile north of the Chunky Gal Trail as you are approaching the sign that says Water Oak Gap.Turn right and walk 10 steps toward a fire ring of an unofficial campsite.Look to the left and you will see an old trail going down the hill.This is unmarked but was at one time was the A T. It is less than a mile to Deep Gap.Here is a map of Kimsey Creek Trail (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=150) if you can read it.If not pm me and I will help you.When you come into Standing Indian Campground there is a pay phone by the check in.You cannot get cell phone coverage in the park.

bigmac_in
01-02-2009, 21:25
He didn't state the time but FS71 to Deep Gap is closed til 3/15/09 and Kimsey Creek would be a good pick because if you go up Muscrat Branch or the Chunky Gal Trail you will have to back track again some day to do all the trail.

To take a short cut to the Kimsey.Follow exact,1/10 mile north of the Chunky Gal Trail as you are approaching the sign that says Water Oak Gap.Turn right and walk 10 steps toward a fire ring of an unofficial campsite.Look to the left and you will see an old trail going down the hill.This is unmarked but was at one time was the A T. It is less than a mile to Deep Gap.Here is a map of Kimsey Creek Trail (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=150) if you can read it.If not pm me and I will help you.When you come into Standing Indian Campground there is a pay phone by the check in.You cannot get cell phone coverage in the park.

You da man, Ron. :D

Ron Haven
01-02-2009, 21:32
You da man, Ron. :DI have to be careful and not get someone lost.

NCYankee
01-03-2009, 12:28
If I can make a suggestion, simply because I am going to make the same hike in the spring...

Go SOBO instead. Lots of benefits discussed here in this thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43262)

Summit
01-04-2009, 13:57
He didn't state the time but FS71 to Deep Gap is closed til 3/15/09 and Kimsey Creek would be a good pick because if you go up Muscrat Branch or the Chunky Gal Trail you will have to back track again some day to do all the trail.

To take a short cut to the Kimsey.Follow exact,1/10 mile north of the Chunky Gal Trail as you are approaching the sign that says Water Oak Gap.Turn right and walk 10 steps toward a fire ring of an unofficial campsite.Look to the left and you will see an old trail going down the hill.This is unmarked but was at one time was the A T. It is less than a mile to Deep Gap.Here is a map of Kimsey Creek Trail (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1&pictureid=150) if you can read it.If not pm me and I will help you.When you come into Standing Indian Campground there is a pay phone by the check in.You cannot get cell phone coverage in the park.Another vote for the Kimsey Creek Trail finish . . . a very nice, refreshing trek down beautiful creeks, cascades, waterfalls. Also, I took this shortcut Ron told me about when he shuttled me to Dick's Creek Oct '07 - I took it and it is a much better trail than the non-scenic 'new AT section' that is a 2 1/2 miles longer with nothing to show for it. I remembered doing this piece when it was the AT years ago before the relo.

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 17:09
Do you get a patch for thru-hiking GA?

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 17:10
Do you get a patch for thru-hiking GA?

You can apply for one. I did. Found it in a box the other day.

Hikes in Rain
01-04-2009, 17:19
Sure can! http://www.georgia-atclub.org/gathru.html

urbansix
01-04-2009, 17:38
Thanks for the helpful input, everybody!

Marta
01-04-2009, 19:12
If you're planning to end up at Standing Indian, you can hike a bit more of the AT by staying on it to Glassmine Gap, and going down the Long Branch Trail. That might add a couple days to your itinerary because it's about 18 miles from Deep Gap, but only two miles of it would be non-AT. The Long Branch Trail is very straightforward and you wouldn't get lost on it. Another plus, or possibly a minus, is that you'd go over Standing Indian Mountain and Albert Mountain.

The quickest exit after finishing Georgia would be at Deep Gap, which is a gravel road but driveable by my very low-slung VW Jetta in the summer.

Summit
01-06-2009, 16:13
The quickest exit after finishing Georgia would be at Deep Gap, which is a gravel road but driveable by my very low-slung VW Jetta in the summer.If'n you don't get a ride, that's a long walk out on boring gravel road. Someone said 5.5 miles, but I believe it's closer to 10 . . . could be wrong . . . bet Ron Haven knows exactly? :)

TrippinBTM
01-07-2009, 13:59
Exactly.

Heading NOBO, the KCT is at Deep Gap in NC.

I wonder if it's in the same place for the SOBOs.... :-?

max patch
01-07-2009, 15:58
I wonder if it's in the same place for the SOBOs.... :-?

No its not.

Heading SOBO the KCT is at Standing Indian Campground.

Cool AT Breeze
01-07-2009, 16:48
If you are SOBO on the AT, Glassmine Gap trail will take you to the kiosk where the KCT starts.

Ron Haven
01-07-2009, 20:06
If'n you don't get a ride, that's a long walk out on boring gravel road. Someone said 5.5 miles, but I believe it's closer to 10 . . . could be wrong . . . bet Ron Haven knows exactly? :)It is 5.5 from the A T to US64 on the Chunky Gal Trail.From Deep Gap to US64 on FS71 it is just over 8 miles.

Summit
01-07-2009, 23:37
Thanks Ron! I thought FS71 was farther. I drove my entire family up once, intending to do a day hike up from Deep Gap to the Standing Indian summit and back, but the road was closed due to recent hurricane coming through, and we had to park and walk from Park Gap. Made for a looonnnngggg family day hike, not to mention some grumbles on the way back. To top it off, the Standing Indian view was socked in with fog. Man did I catch it that day! :eek: :D

Tennessee Viking
01-08-2009, 00:46
Thanks Ron! I thought FS71 was farther. I drove my entire family up once, intending to do a day hike up from Deep Gap to the Standing Indian summit and back, but the road was closed due to recent hurricane coming through, and we had to park and walk from Park Gap. Made for a looonnnngggg family day hike, not to mention some grumbles on the way back. To top it off, the Standing Indian view was socked in with fog. Man did I catch it that day! :eek: :D
I am glad I made it in time. I got to Deep Gap the day of the Labor Day hurricane hit the coast, but it was mostly light showers and cloud cover over the Nantahala. Standing Indian summit was a bit hazzy but still worth the trip. Ran into about 4 sectioners and 2 resupply hikers.

TrippinBTM
01-08-2009, 21:08
No its not.

Heading SOBO the KCT is at Standing Indian Campground.

sorry for being a smartass, couldn't help it. I take it the KCT loops around/has two points of intersection on the AT?

Summit
01-09-2009, 01:09
One end of the KCT is at Standing Indian Campground. The other is at Deep Gap. What Cool AT Breeze said, except at Glassmine Gap (SOBO), go right on the Long Branch Trail 2 miles down to the Backcountry Parking kiosk just outside the Standing Indian Campgroud perimeter. Crossing the FS road at the kiosk, pick up the trail again and in a few hundred yds come to the campground asphalt road. Turn left, cross the bridge, take an immediate right over the bridge onto trail again. In a couple hundred yds, you'll come to a "T" intersection of trails with a large multi-directional sign that will point you left up the KCT. It's about 4.5 mi. to Deep Gap. I believe Ron Haven posted his nicely hand drawn map a few posts back.

e-doc
01-09-2009, 10:16
If memory serves, there is an old jeep road that comes up at Bly Gap. If one follows it comes down to a road off US 64. I don't have my maps with me. There should be old logging paths in there.

take-a-knee
01-09-2009, 16:30
If memory serves, there is an old jeep road that comes up at Bly Gap. If one follows it comes down to a road off US 64. I don't have my maps with me. There should be old logging paths in there.

I remember that, it heads off towards the west, I have no idea where it goes or how far.

max patch
01-09-2009, 16:42

i would never ever suggest anyone plan on using that jeep road as an access point to bly gap. the term "jeep road" is not an exaggeration.

take-a-knee
01-09-2009, 19:18
i would never ever suggest anyone plan on using that jeep road as an access point to bly gap. the term "jeep road" is not an exaggeration.

Well, where does it go? How far to the hardball? IMO proper vehicles have low range transfer cases and all-terrain tires, "jeep road" doesn't scare me, it makes me happy.

Summit
01-09-2009, 20:06
I'm sure Ron Haven can tell you (us) exactly how to get to Bly Gap via that jeep road from a major highway! ;)

Egads
01-09-2009, 20:19
Charlies Creek Road gets you pretty close. You get there via Upper Hightower Road from Titus, GA

You can also get pretty close on Eagle Fork Terrace Road (FS 1169) from Old Hwy 64 in NC

Use Google Maps in terrain mode max zoom

Ron Haven
01-09-2009, 23:26
I'm sure Ron Havens can tell you (us) exactly how to get to Bly Gap via that jeep road from a major highway! ;)If you are going to Bly Gap from Franklin.As you pass the Chunky Gal Trail crossing on US64 going west you will be going down a 4 mile grade of the Chunky Gal Mtn.At the bottom turn left on Vineyard Rd.Go 300ft and turn right on old US64.Go oppx 1 mile and turn left onto Eagle Fork Rd right at the Eagle Fork Fire Dept.About 6 miles the pavement ends.500ft before it ends turn left on Upper Eagle Fork Rd and you will go past a couple of old houses with fish ponds and you will see an old forest service rd turning to the left with a locked forest service gate.I think it is FS2153.

If you walk up thru there it is a couple of miles of good rd and it turns into an old washed out,grown up logging rd that hasn't been used in 30 yrs or more.It proceeds criss crossing back and forth up the Eagle Forks Mtn and as it is coming into Bly Gap it makes a left switch back and into the grassy field just a few ft north of the old crooked Oak Tree there that is Bly Gap.Many years ago this old rd bed crossed Bly Gap and connected into Hightower Rd before you cross the Tahullah River.There is an old logging rd there where they comes together turns left and comes up the backside of Muscrat Creek shelter and referred to as Case knife Gap and up around Kitchens Knob and will come into Deep Gap.

That is the old forest service logging rd there with the markings saying Deep Gap Trail.The Deep Gap Trail turns Left onto a blue blaze about 1/4 mile down that rd.This will intersect with the south side of the Beech Gap Trail to the left and Tate City,Ga to the right.This whole area is very thickly inhabited with bear.This is why you always find bear hunters trucks parked at Deep Gap in the fall of the year.One time I was hiking with my wife and twin sons when we came upon a cave.We counted 8 bears between the cave and branch crossing near Kitchens Knob.

Here is a link to my son Cody's website with a picture of a bear encounter we had near Deep Gap http://codyhaven.com/?level=picture&id=200

Marta
01-09-2009, 23:31
Cool picture, Ron!

Ron Haven
01-09-2009, 23:39
Cool picture, Ron!Thanks Marta.If anyone wants to look at my twin sons web sites,here is links. http://codyhaven.com/?level=collection&id=2 & http://ryanhaven.com/?level=collection&id=2