PDA

View Full Version : Questions

partinj
01-02-2009, 13:58
Hi well just got the last few things i need for my hike. Down to 30 days now can't wait. I was wonder if any one leaving around the same time as me i am taking the greyhound bus it leave washington dc at 9:00 pm any one would like to get toget at a transfer point my bus transfer at Richmond Va 11:05 leave at 11:45.
Also has a layover at Carlette NC. for about hour if you are gone the same way maybe we can travel toget to the trail.
Question 2 has anyone ever hitch hike out to the park to start their hike.
:-?

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 14:01
yes. i've hitched to and from the park.

Sly
01-02-2009, 14:54
You're starting early best be prepared for temps as low as zero and snow/ice. Hiker Hostel has a shuttle/stay/shuttle deal from Gainesville but I don't believe it starts until 2/21

Best give them a call if you're interested.

http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php

yappy
01-02-2009, 15:09
Have a great hike.. be prepared and you will have a blast.

Blissful
01-02-2009, 16:04
Wow have a super time - hope you have all your winter gear in line with an early start. That's the biggest thing.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 13:35
First off, if you can get out of it, ditch Greyhound and take the Train to Gainesville.

I travelled by bus this August from DC to Atlanta and it was the worst trip of my life. In particular, the 2 hour layover in Richmond in the middle of the night was delightful, and Charlotte wasn't much better.

Quick advice: Don't let your pack or anything else you own get out of your sight. Put your wallet, ID, and ticket somewhere safe and don't take 'em out til you need them. Keep an eye on the bus luggage compartment during layovers so your stuff doesn't take a walk; if possible, bring all your stuff on board with you so you can keep an eye on it. Try and sit up front so you can get out in a hurry. If you want to read, bring a headlamp as the "reading lights" are freqently busted. Bring plenty to drink, i.e. water, Gatorade, etc. If you get up to use the bathroom on the bus, leave nothing of value on your seat or it'l disappear. Carry your own TP and hand sanitizer. Avoid bathrooms in stations; if you must go, use a stall and take ALL of your stuff with you when you go; if you want to try and find someone reputable to watch over your stuff, hope you have a few months to do it.

That's about it.

Oh, and did I mention take the Train instead of the bus?

Slo-go'en
01-03-2009, 14:36
I've taken quite a few long bus rides to the south now, thier always an adventure in traveling! In my case, the ride is often 36 hours and since its nearly impossable to sleep on the bus, you end up being a zombie at the end. Need a full day off to recuperate. And why is it the fattest person on the bus always sits next to me? Guess because I'm so skinny. I try to get an asile seat so I can streach my legs out. Near the front of the bus is good, less motor noise and less bumpy.

Get a cheap, disposable waist pouch to carry odds and ends in. Have a book or cheap hat to save your seat when getting off the bus at non-transfer stops.