PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Maine?

thetrail
04-16-2004, 12:35
A friend of mine is looking to do a weeklong hike anywhere in Maine. What are his best options for an August hike? (Group of 4, between 5 and 10 mile days depending on difficulty, loop hike unless a shuttle is available) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The hike is only a success if you find yourself lost…….lost in time, lost in awe, lost in thought.

Jack Tarlin
04-16-2004, 12:41
Question: Who else is in the group, and what are their ages/condition? Most of Maine is very rugged; if you want to do an easier section, you might look around Caratunk (the section from there to Monson is the easiest part of Maine). The NH state line to Andover is VERY rugged, as is Andover to Stratton. Stratton to Caratunk has some tough bits, but is spectacular. Just about all of the hostel providers will do shuttles; their information can be found in the Thru-Hiker's Companion, available for sale at www.atconf.org or you can read it online at www.aldha.org; www.atconf.org also has a very complete list of shuttlers for the entire state of Maine, as well as elsewhere.

attroll
04-16-2004, 12:51
It all depends on what kind of terrian you want to hike and what the others in the group can do or want to do. If you want a nice easy hike to do in a week that is flat. I would suggest maybe starting a Long Damn Falls road or Flagstaff Road and going to Monson. That is mostly flat except for Pleasant Mountin and Moxie Bald Mtn. But those two are relatively easy. The total miles for this trip would be about 58 miles. 10 Miles days for this would not be a problem in my opinion. It all depends on how challenging you want the hike to be or what views you want to take in as to want hikes you want for suggestions.