PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear Vapor Trail question

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 18:25
I have a serious question about this pack. I have used it for several different trips it's pro's outweigh what I consider the cons. The pack is 2lbs iirc that is dry. However, once I start hiking the foam pad gets soaked with sweat. Has anyone noticed this or read anything about what the pack weighs once the foam pad is soaked with sweat? I never quantified my question because it really isn't that big of a deal. But take this pack off in the Fall and it is like putting an icepack on your back once you are ready to get moving again? Also has anyone modified the foam pad with any positive results to reduce amount of sweat it retains? For instance removing the pad and cut 2" diameter holes in the foam so it breathes better?

Panzer1
01-02-2009, 18:43
I have the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which gets a little wet but not enough that it ever bothered me.

My old aluminum frame backpack never had any problem with the back getting wet because the frame kept the pack off your back. Score one for the old external frames.

Panzer

phenimore
01-06-2009, 15:01
I just bought the same pack and I am having some similar concerns with it as well. I was thinking about trying to make the back panel removable or shrink it down to only rest on my upper back as my lower back requires more ventilation. Perhaps remove every other panel somehow (the whole thing seems excessive to me... If anyone has any modification suggestions for this pack please offer us your expertise. I'd hate to mess up my new pack before I get a chance to ruin it the old fashioned way. ;)

Also ... in order to take it apart I have to cut the straps? Can't remove the lid/hip pack (which seems extra heavy?) without that... I have only ever had used or rental packs before and for shorter hikes didn't worry about customizing them like this one for my thru... And I scared to break it. Any advice would be great! :o

take-a-knee
01-06-2009, 16:42
I just bought the same pack and I am having some similar concerns with it as well. I was thinking about trying to make the back panel removable or shrink it down to only rest on my upper back as my lower back requires more ventilation. Perhaps remove every other panel somehow (the whole thing seems excessive to me... If anyone has any modification suggestions for this pack please offer us your expertise. I'd hate to mess up my new pack before I get a chance to ruin it the old fashioned way. ;)

Also ... in order to take it apart I have to cut the straps? Can't remove the lid/hip pack (which seems extra heavy?) without that... I have only ever had used or rental packs before and for shorter hikes didn't worry about customizing them like this one for my thru... And I scared to break it. Any advice would be great! :o

If you are that trouble by back sweat only an external frame pack will suit you. Any attempts to modify a Vapor Trail like you suggested will likely ruin it. I've had no problems with mine in eighty degree temps, when it gets hotter than that, it is kayak/canoe time.

firemountain
01-06-2009, 18:44
I have a Vapor Trail, and love it. The sweaty back does suck sometimes. I have tried the Virga from GG which has a fabric backpanel and a sleeping pad is to be used for form and support. My back would get just as sweaty but there was nothing to soak in.The drawback of the Virga for me was the wimpy hipbelt.

My size medium Vapor Trail weighs 940g (2lb 1oz), this is after trimming all the straps to the minimum length. I removed the hip stabilizer straps, I feel they serve no purpose on this pack. The internal bladder pouch was removed, I prefer my water on top. Ice axe loops and all misc tags also cut.

I believe the amount of sweat weight is significant. I weighed a high end bicycle racing jersey before and after a ride this summer and the difference was 12oz!

Until somebody comes out with a really sweet ultralight external frame pack sweaty backs is something that is mostly unescapable.

Worldwide
01-06-2009, 18:47
My main concern is the funk the collected sweat creates the weight gain is more of a curiosity. Please keep in mind I am a sweaty Italian. Unless you are a hot chick then completely disregard my sweatiness. Also this pack is about to get retired, and I will try the mods out on this one and report back.

Dogwood
01-06-2009, 21:50
Welcome to what can become a weight war! If gear wt. is that crucial to U U will find gear wt. to sometimes, not always, but sometimes increase with use. And, in all fairness, this is not exclusive to Granite Gear or the GG Vapor Trail. When I first got a Vapor Trail I weighed it on PO scales at exactly 32 ozs. After, 3 months of summer thru-hiking use the same pack weighed on the same scales at the same PO weighed 35 ozs. Can U say dirt, sweat, grime, body oils, etc.? I have had similar experiences with sleeping bags, clothing, and tents. Washed and rinsed the Vapor Trail and once again I reweighed it at a fresh 32 ozs. Moral of the story: if U R that gung ho about those ozs. keep your gear clean!

bulldog49
01-07-2009, 12:17
If you are concerned about a sweaty back, I suggest you try the Atmos 50. It has a mesh back panel over a pack frame that is curved so only the mesh touches your back. This allows a pocket of air between your back and the pack itself. It actually does work to keep your back cooler and drier.

bobbyw
02-04-2009, 13:39
I removed the hip stabilizer straps, I feel they serve no purpose on this pack.

I was under the impression they were supposed to transfer the weight of your pack to your hips, leaving very little weight on your shoulders and back.

Dogwood
02-04-2009, 21:11
Bobbyw, whatever U do think about it several times before cutting anything. Approach it like a haircut. U can cut it off but U can't put it back on. Or, at the very least, it can be difficult to replace.

tmoneygetpaid
02-05-2009, 14:22
The sweat it retains shouldn't be permanent weight-- it will evaporate. And as someone said, you will sweat just as much with a pack that has a "ventilated" back.

Most of the weight should be held by your legs via the hip belt. Do not remove your hipbelt unless you are under 20 lbs. packweight.

Dogwood
02-05-2009, 17:15
I think what BobbyW and FireMountain R referring to is not about removing the whole hipbelt, but just cutting/removing the hip stabilizer webbing strap located on each hipbelt wing.

coldspring
04-13-2009, 22:55
I hate to make anyone yawn, but I'm still using a Vapor Trail. Afterall, what else is there, besides ULA?

I'm thinking about trimming off the excess straps, and the hydration bladder pocket. I have a Medium VT with Large hipbelt, and I have a large waste. Now, if I threw all the trimmed off stuff in a pile and weighed it, what kind of figure am I looking at? I'm thinking 3-4 oz...

Engine
04-14-2009, 09:46
I hate to make anyone yawn, but I'm still using a Vapor Trail. Afterall, what else is there, besides ULA?

I'm thinking about trimming off the excess straps, and the hydration bladder pocket. I have a Medium VT with Large hipbelt, and I have a large waste. Now, if I threw all the trimmed off stuff in a pile and weighed it, what kind of figure am I looking at? I'm thinking 3-4 oz...

I have a large Vapor trail with a medium hip belt and it weighs 2lbs. 6 1/2oz. I like the interior pocket, but not for a hydration bladder, I use it to separate small stuff sacks with items I need to be able to find in a hurry. I was actually thinking about trimming straps today since it's storming too hard outside to get a workout in or cut the grass anyway. I'll let you know what I get it down to.

Chaco Taco
04-14-2009, 10:01
I have a serious question about this pack. I have used it for several different trips it's pro's outweigh what I consider the cons. The pack is 2lbs iirc that is dry. However, once I start hiking the foam pad gets soaked with sweat. Has anyone noticed this or read anything about what the pack weighs once the foam pad is soaked with sweat? I never quantified my question because it really isn't that big of a deal. But take this pack off in the Fall and it is like putting an icepack on your back once you are ready to get moving again? Also has anyone modified the foam pad with any positive results to reduce amount of sweat it retains? For instance removing the pad and cut 2" diameter holes in the foam so it breathes better?

What up ya burnout?? Hey I had the same issue with my Golite. The thing I have learned is that a foam pad frame just aint worth it esp on a long distance hike. One thing to think of is wrapping it with saran wrap and put it back in. I think if you put holes in it it will still absorb the sweat. Try the saran wrap deal and see what happens.

Engine
04-14-2009, 10:47
After trimming the straps to a reasonable degree (I still have enough to grab without difficulty) and removing the bungee from the inner hydration pocket, I was able to get rid of 2 ounces. Not a lot, but it was wasted weight as I had no need for that material anyway.

Now I'm off to find a lighter t-shirt, the thing I just bought under the heading of "lightweight Tech T" showed up weighing 71/2 ounces!!! It ought to be bullet proof :).

coldspring
04-14-2009, 13:07
After trimming the straps to a reasonable degree (I still have enough to grab without difficulty) and removing the bungee from the inner hydration pocket, I was able to get rid of 2 ounces. Not a lot, but it was wasted weight as I had no need for that material anyway.

Maybe I'll just leave mine intact. I'll take some pins and pin the straps where I like them at the end of my next outing, and then think about it again. I'm so fat, that I probably wouldn't save that much by trimming the straps off the hipbelt.

Engine
04-14-2009, 13:20
Maybe I'll just leave mine intact. I'll take some pins and pin the straps where I like them at the end of my next outing, and then think about it again. I'm so fat, that I probably wouldn't save that much by trimming the straps off the hipbelt.

Please do not take offense at what I'm about to say, I don't mean it in any way other than to be helpful. If you are as overweight as you seem to feel you are, then the pounds that can be lost on your person will do more to improve every aspect of your life than any amount of weight you might trim from your gear. I say this as a 175 pound guy who weighed nearly 250 a dozen years ago...:)

coldspring
04-14-2009, 21:34
Please do not take offense at what I'm about to say, I don't mean it in any way other than to be helpful. :)

No offense taken. I'm not that big, really. I've peaked a little over 250 three times in my life...went down and back up...sure hope that is my upper limit. Back down under 240 now, that'll make up for those strap trimmings. :) Part of my problem is just genes. I wasn't a very healthy kid either, I was never able to run very far at all, as a youth, for various reasons. I sure do miss being about 175, let me tell you...I've forgotten how much easier it was to get up and down hills! I think about those that are less fortunate though, and I just thank god that I'm as fit and healthy as I am!

I've offended plenty of people by telling them to quit smoking, so I know where you're coming from.

Engine
04-15-2009, 05:39
I think about those that are less fortunate though, and I just thank god that I'm as fit and healthy as I am!

Now, if only everyone could have that attitude, the world would be a better place. Being thankful for what I have instead of unhappy over what I don't is something I loose sight of sometimes. Thanks for the reminder!!! :sun

HikingIllini
04-15-2009, 16:10
I have a Medium 2008 model.

I also trimmed the straps, labels, ice axe loops, and removed the bungee cord from the hydration sleeve. I use the sleeve to hold small items that I want quick access to. This took off ~2 oz.

I am considering cutting the extension collar in half (would I want to take to a tailor? I don't sew) and possibly adding the optional Granite Gear Lid to add another pocket. I'm on the fence for the Lid; it adds 3oz, but I tire of digging through my pack for a snack, so an external pocket would be nice.

Anybody use the Lid?