PDA

View Full Version : AT Presentation in South Portland, Maine

Kirby
01-02-2009, 19:31
Just wanted to remind all of you that I have a presentation coming up on the 6th at 7PM at the SOPO public library. I will be doing a joint presentation with another Mainer who hiked this year as well, Beth of the 4 Sisters.

Kirby

WalkinHome
01-03-2009, 11:23
And ifn you wants to eat, bring a dish as it is also a pot luck supper starting at 6PM. Great bunch of people. See you there Kirby.

weary
01-03-2009, 11:32
KIrby. I had planned to be there. But unfortunately a special meeting dealing with the disposal of 250 acres of town property that abuts one of our town land trust preserves has intruded.

Weary

garlic08
01-03-2009, 11:34
Wish I could be there, Kirby. Good luck, have fun, and Happy New Year.

SawnieRobertson
01-03-2009, 16:04
Kirby, I'd give a million to be there. You have got the presence. You will do great. This is, I hope, practice for presenting at the 2009 ALDHA

SawnieRobertson
01-03-2009, 16:05
Kirby, I'd give a million to be there. You have got the presence. You will do great. This is, I hope, practice for presenting at the 2009 ALDHA

Well! The nerve!

As I was saying, I hope that this is just practice for your presentations at the 2009 ALDHA Gathering. :banana

KarenM982
01-03-2009, 21:48
See you there!

Kirby
01-03-2009, 22:08
KIrby. I had planned to be there. But unfortunately a special meeting dealing with the disposal of 250 acres of town property that abuts one of our town land trust preserves has intruded.

Weary

That's a very important cause, much more important than my presentation. Keep up the good work Weary.

Yes, it is also a pot luck. I won't be arriving until around 6:45PM because of other commitments before hand.

ALDHA 2009 seems feasible since I will be going to school in DC.

I look forward to seeing everyone there, should be a fun night.

Kirby

Sly
01-03-2009, 22:50
ALDHA 2009 seems feasible since I will be going to school in DC.

If you're interested in doing a presentation, contact Bill O'Brien. He'll be Gathering coordinator for Gettysburg aldha at aol dot com

Kirby
01-04-2009, 21:58
If you're interested in doing a presentation, contact Bill O'Brien. He'll be Gathering coordinator for Gettysburg aldha at aol dot com

Something to look into for sure.

Hey! It's two days away. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 22:00
Something to look into for sure.

Hey! It's two days away. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

Kirby

october 2009 is 10 months away

Cookerhiker
01-04-2009, 22:55
....I will be going to school in DC....Kirby

Where in DC Kirby - Georgetown? While you're in DC and need a break from studying, come along on some PATC (http://www.potomacappalachian.org/) events - hikes and/or work crews.

Kirby
01-05-2009, 19:55
Where in DC Kirby - Georgetown? While you're in DC and need a break from studying, come along on some PATC (http://www.potomacappalachian.org/) events - hikes and/or work crews.

I'll be attending American University.

I'll be sure to contact the PATC once I'm settled in.
Kirby

WalkinHome
01-07-2009, 12:41
Due to the fact that Weary, a retired professional journalist, missed Kirby's presentation, I guess it fall upon me to review it.

Both Kirby and a young lady named Beth (from the Portland area) hiked last year. Beth did a fine job discussing her hike in a group known as the 4 Sisters and of course we heard and saw how much they enjoyed the trail, the AT community and interaction with the local communities. A hike much like what the ATC hopes folks will have. She was soft spoken but confident. Then there was Kirby-certainly NOT soft spoken, VERY confident and gregarious. He started with a focus on what it took to get someone of his age and station the permissions and support to accomplish the task he had set for himself. Every step of the way (steps before the AT) he was flat out denied. Kirby said thank you very much and proceeded to show them the error of their ways-who the heck did they think they were dealing with anyway??? The rest, as we know, is history. He went on to show what his hike was like and share a bit of how it has affected him then and now.

Great job Kirby, looking forward to the next one LOL. Now all I have to do is try to get Kirby, Beth and others of their age group into the MATC, ATC or anything LOL. We can always use their help. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kirby
01-07-2009, 18:34
Considering all the bashing I've done of the MATC up to this point, I'm not sure if they'd accept my money;).

That presentation went OK. The big error was that it was not the one I intended to give, that was the same one I gave for my school. I have an almost identical presentation on my computer, except I went through all replaced all the photos I pulled from the internet for the school presentation and replaced them with my own.

Besides that, it went well.

My next one as of right now will be in the fall at the Teens to Trails gathering, if everything goes according to plan.

Kirby

weary
01-07-2009, 19:19
Considering all the bashing I've done of the MATC up to this point, I'm not sure if they'd accept my money;).

That presentation went OK. The big error was that it was not the one I intended to give, that was the same one I gave for my school. I have an almost identical presentation on my computer, except I went through all replaced all the photos I pulled from the internet for the school presentation and replaced them with my own.

Besides that, it went well.

My next one as of right now will be in the fall at the Teens to Trails gathering, if everything goes according to plan.

Kirby
Believe me. MATC accepts anyone -- even me. It especially likes critics. We want you to learn the truth.

FWIW. MATC is the trail maintainer in Maine. MATC is basically a working group. We like people willing to work to maintain the trail. Maine Chapter, AMC, though its maintenance activities are growing, is the hiking, social organization. I'm sort of the failed trails overseer, now reduced to putting out newsletters for both organizations.

Weary

Kirby
01-07-2009, 20:06
What the MATC needs is a youth revolution to bring the club back to full life. Eventually, the "old guard" currently at the helm of the organization will move on, and there NEEDS to be a generation there to step up to the plate and help keep the MATC one of the most beloved trail clubs.

I guess that's up to my generation.

Kirby

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:44
If you actually believe that, then join and/or donate tomorrow.

Talk is cheap, and it's kind of hard to bring "revolution" to a group if you're not taking an active role. :-?

Kirby
01-07-2009, 21:19
Nice to hear from you Jack.