PDA

View Full Version : Homeless after the hike

OverLoad
01-02-2009, 20:05
Anyone been homeless after hiking the trail and have any suggestion on restarting there life afterwards. I will some cash to be able to buy a cheep car, and enough to rent a room or campground for 2 or 3 months. Finding work without a mail address is my biggest concern . Anyone been there and did that with suggestions?

trail_geek
01-02-2009, 20:19
Not trying to sound funny, but if you have some cash, for food and shelter and your health, its not a bad position to be in really.

If you can maintain all of the above and be able to spend time on the trail, your a step ahead of lots of others who just dream, myself included, about the opportunity to thru-hike.

I would think, from my experience, a postal address is not the main concern when looking for a job, you obviousely have internet access from somewhere so email should suffice. Job hunting on the internet is the most common method now also.

As for what work you are looking for, only you can answer that based on your skills and education.

Cheers

Anyone been homeless after hiking the trail and have any suggestion on restarting there life afterwards. I will some cash to be able to buy a cheep car, and enough to rent a room or campground for 2 or 3 months. Finding work without a mail address is my biggest concern . Anyone been there and did that with suggestions?

wrongway_08
01-02-2009, 20:24
Best IThe mail address shouldnt be an issue, just get a po box. Maybe you have a friend or family that will allow you to use their address?

If you rent a room, your just going to use that persons address as yours.

You can also use the campground address as your address, dont think the campground would mind if your stayn there for extended peroid of time. Call and ask a couple of them before starting your hike.

tom_alan
01-02-2009, 20:33
You can also use the campground address as your address, dont think the campground would mind if your stayn there for extended peroid of time. Call and ask a couple of them before starting your hike.

:-? Interesting subject. I have noted that in a lot of campgrounds around Colorado they only allow a two week stay than you have to move out for a period of time.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

JAK
01-02-2009, 20:35
Best of luck to everyone in 2009.
Peace and and good health and prosperity to all.

various
01-02-2009, 20:43
homeless is where the heart is

Jan LiteShoe
01-02-2009, 20:49
I knew I wanted to get some land after my thru, and that's a project that takes some time. I ended up looking after a house for a friend who had just married a man in Colorado. As I did this, I became aware of a number of house-sitter positions available in my area, and online (just google "house-sitting" - there are whole companies devoted to connecting folks.)

My friend Philosphy did the same thing, though she either answered an ad in the AT publication, or she put her own ad in, I forget. But she watched someone's house while that person did the AT! Sweet. You might find someone in a similar situation right here on WhiteBlaze.

Another friend got a job moving boats down the intercoastal waterway. There are all sorts of interesting opportunities for the creative hiker.

You can always get a post office box somewhere for mail.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 21:08
Don't let that be an issue. Once upon a time, I was tasked with interviewing for my sales teams. I would offer this advice...how you present the answer to the question is more important than the answer given.

Tell them hiking whatever whosiewhatsits trail has been a lifelong dream. Tell them you promised yourself that you would take this trip based on meeting certain goals you set for yourself. An example might be I promised myself once I got my student loans, credit card debt to a zero balance that I would save for my life long aspiration and see it through to completion. Setting goals and meeting them then rewarding yourself shows initiative don't undersell that.

Trust me an HR manager is gonna think someone who completed a 2,000 mile hike or any variation of it. What is harder in their mind getting through an 8 hour day or hiking 20 miles. The will look at you like you are superman. Someone who has drive, motivation, and a strong work ethic. Don't sweat the not having a perm address on you resume. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Heck when I got home from my thru hike. I ended up interviewing for the new version of a job I retired from in a different part of the world. Same company different executives to work under so I had to go through a standard interview process. During that time they asked me what I did the last few years I told them I hiked. They were at first a bit confused. I then presented them with 4 dvd's with 2,000 pics of my trip that was meticulously organized and catagorized, and told them if they didn't believe me they could grab a pack outta my car and we could take a walk. Trust me it is all in how you present it.

PS I got offered the job but declined.

Del Q
01-02-2009, 21:13
Great input Worldwide............I would add, what is your passion, what do you love to do? Would working at a store like REI be an option? Camps are always hiring, I think there are lots of jobs out there for people who are agressive, willing to do anything to move forward. Restaurants? Bars? Any experience in sales? Good luck to you!

adventurousmtnlvr
01-02-2009, 21:32
:-? Interesting subject. I have noted that in a lot of campgrounds around Colorado they only allow a two week stay than you have to move out for a period of time.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?When I lived in Seattle it was 10 days ... BUT ... you could leave for one day and return for anther 10 at the original place

adventurousmtnlvr
01-02-2009, 21:35
someone earlier mentioned a P.O. box ... where I live in TN they still require a home address (with proof at the time getting one) ... so another suggestion is those USA Mailbox type places ... besides ... "those" appear to look like an address or apt. rather than P.O. as some places won't forward to mail to P.O. Boxes.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 21:38

what makes you think you'll do the whole trail? what's your situation now? wife? kids? bills? mental illness?

Summit
01-02-2009, 21:48

Has anyone else ran into this problem?14 days max is standard for NFS campgrounds. Retired RV folks have two or three of 'em fairly close to one another and just rotate.

mudcap
01-02-2009, 22:05

Watch out for anchors,they will bring you down every time. I know this does not answer your question... Just saying some folks like to be negative.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 22:07
Watch out for anchors,they will bring you down every time. I know this does not answer your question... Just saying some folks like to be negative.:rolleyes:

and folks like you haven't been there or done it and can't answer his inquiries :)

mudcap
01-02-2009, 22:13
and folks like you haven't been there or done it and can't answer his inquiries :)

You assume too much.:D Why do you feel the need to attack me? I stated my opinion,did you see your name mentioned?:)

OverLoad
01-02-2009, 22:18
Thanks for all the replys. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Lion King
01-03-2009, 00:40
you can do it but prepare to get laid less.

Bare Bear
01-03-2009, 02:14
If you want to stay in the outdoor world you will find many jobs available if you have a clean criminal record and employers will all check these days due to the liability. The jobs are available because they usually do not pay much. BUT if you are happy isn't that worth something? I tried a few REI type stores but they wanted me to teach scuba or were farther away than I wanted to drive daily. The more skills you attain before going job seeking will help. You will be taken over someone that needs months of training (CPR, First Aid, Wilderness Group Leader, CDL License, etc.)

SawnieRobertson
01-03-2009, 18:51

Cough, cough, sputter, sputter. Er, LK, did you mean paid less? Or is it what you said?

superman
01-03-2009, 19:02

As a guy, That is the important information.:-?

splash1986
01-03-2009, 20:31
I would recommend having a backup plan in place in case you don't stay on the trail as long as you anticipate you will.

beeman
01-03-2009, 20:50
As a guy, That is the important information.:-?

Hah, that had to be a typo!:eek:

superman
01-03-2009, 23:08
Hah, that had to be a typo!:eek:

You mean like "laid off" instead of "laid less?" You think that was a Freudian slip?:)

Lion King
01-04-2009, 13:50
Cough, cough, sputter, sputter. Er, LK, did you mean paid less? Or is it what you said?
Oh its what I said alright.
It was kinda a joke, but true as well, unless you have a hiking partner you are very close to.

But paid less is there as well, but they go hand in hand a lot of time.:D

superman
01-04-2009, 14:27
Oh its what I said alright.
It was kinda a joke, but true as well, unless you have a hiking partner you are very close to.

But paid less is there as well, but they go hand in hand a lot of time.:D

LMAO, this thread has everything, homelessness, mental illness and the likely hood of less sex. Well, it's funnier than a new law in NH.:)

Pacific Tortuga
01-04-2009, 16:00

Any way you look at it, LK is right :-?

hnryclay
01-04-2009, 18:53
Trust me an HR manager is gonna think someone who completed a 2,000 mile hike or any variation of it. What is harder in their mind getting through an 8 hour day or hiking 20 miles. The will look at you like you are superman. Someone who has drive, motivation, and a strong work ethic. Don't sweat the not having a perm address on you resume. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Not so, I hire people and depending on the situation hiking a trail does not even come close to eight hours worth of work... except for the sheer boredom of it. I like to backpack, and would be sympathetic to someone wanting a job that had just completed a thru, however I also would worry that someone who is that independent would not stick around, and would be a waste of several thousand dollars of training, and salary. It is not always wise to disclose fully your every intention to an employer. The mail address is not a big deal, most people use P.O. boxes if they move around a lot. An interview is always situational, I agree that IF you bring up your hike at all, you do so in a manner that shows your ability to complete things you have started.

wolf
01-10-2009, 20:09
Get A Job

theinfamousj
01-10-2009, 20:46
someone earlier mentioned a P.O. box ... where I live in TN they still require a home address (with proof at the time getting one) ... so another suggestion is those USA Mailbox type places ... besides ... "those" appear to look like an address or apt. rather than P.O. as some places won't forward to mail to P.O. Boxes.

I once read an online website about "distributed living" (apparently the current term for chosen homelessness) and it suggested the same thing for the same reasons.

Dogwood
01-10-2009, 20:52
Keep looking for a solution. It's there! Don't magnify what U see as a problem.

Here is one possible option. Even after Sylvester Stallone had several small parts as an actor and had done some commercials he found himself nearly broke with little more than a beaten up car, a script he was working on, which he later called Rocky, a few bucks, and a desire to "make" it. As he was still doing casting calls he found himself hard pressed when required to supply a contact address. At one point he was living out of his car. He made an arrangement with the owner of a Seven Eleven that allowed him to park his car in the Seven Eleven parking lot and even was granted permission to use the store addresss as his contact address.

Keep looking, keep your head up, and don't let the naysyers keep U from your dreams!

TrippinBTM
01-10-2009, 21:13
how do I get a USA Mailbox?