PDA

View Full Version : Old Down Bag, Still Good ?

jcramin
01-03-2009, 10:10
I have and OLD down bag that I used at Philmont when I was a scout 30 years ago. It was brand new then. I Used for a few years after that and it has sat mostly in its stuff sack since. Every few years I would take it out and let it sit for a while.

Is this down back any good still ? When it was purchased new 30 years ago it was a top of the line bag.

Thanks,
J

Egads
01-03-2009, 10:19
Try it out, then tell us

papa john
01-03-2009, 10:20
Throw it in the dryer with a tennis shoe for a bit. Low heat or air only. See if it fluffs up.

KG4FAM
01-03-2009, 10:21
Does it still loft up?

Hooch
01-03-2009, 10:37
Don't ever, ever, ever store down bags in their stuff sacks. Either hang them in a closet, garage, attic, etc. while fully lofted. Personally, my down quilt and underquilt are in cotton bags hanging from hooks in my storage room.

mudhead
01-03-2009, 11:20
I have and OLD down bag that I used at Philmont when I was a scout 30 years ago. It was brand new then. I Used for a few years after that and it has sat mostly in its stuff sack since. Every few years I would take it out and let it sit for a while.

Is this down back any good still ? When it was purchased new 30 years ago it was a top of the line bag.

Thanks,
J

Does it still fit?

SteveJ
01-03-2009, 11:44
Fluff it up in the dryer, then lay it out. Get a ruler and see about how high it lofts. If it lofts up to 4 or 5 inches, it's probably OK to 20 degrees or so (I think - when I was doing my homemade quilt, the research I read then said 2.5 in loft per side was equivalent to about 20 deg.....). To make sure, take it outside on a cold night and see how it does!

Oh, I agree about never storing bags in a stuff sack. Down is probably more capable of surviving this treatment, but I never store mine in stuff sacks (and if I find one of the boys has - which they know not to - we have a "discussion" about the proper way to treat gear!).

atraildreamer
01-03-2009, 12:27
Fluff it up in the dryer, then lay it out. Get a ruler and see about how high it lofts. If it lofts up to 4 or 5 inches, it's probably OK to 20 degrees or so (I think - when I was doing my homemade quilt, the research I read then said 2.5 in loft per side was equivalent to about 20 deg.....). To make sure, take it outside on a cold night and see how it does!

Oh, I agree about never storing bags in a stuff sack. Down is probably more capable of surviving this treatment, but I never store mine in stuff sacks (and if I find one of the boys has - which they know not to - we have a "discussion" about the proper way to treat gear!).

Ray Jardine uses the formula:

100 - (Loft in inches x 40) = temperature rating

so, for example, for 2" of loft:

100 - (2" x40 ) = 100 - 80 = 20 degree rating

jcramin
01-03-2009, 13:01
Well after takin it out of the dryer it lofts to about 5 inches just laying on the floor, BUT the sleeping bag does not have a hood, it was made without one ??? I assume they didn't have hoods on them 30 years ago ? Plus it still has my 30 year old Philmont dirt and sweat on it LOL

Tinker
01-03-2009, 13:21
Well after takin it out of the dryer it lofts to about 5 inches just laying on the floor, BUT the sleeping bag does not have a hood, it was made without one ??? I assume they didn't have hoods on them 30 years ago ? Plus it still has my 30 year old Philmont dirt and sweat on it LOL
Some down bags have hoods, others don't. Most semi-rectangular bags don't have hoods. If your zipper goes all the way around the foot, it's probably a semi rectangular or rectangular bag. With 5" of loft, it's probably pretty warm. Take it out in the yard on a cold night. Wear a warm hat, or take the hood off of a jacket that you have (if it's removeable :D). I'd guess you probably will be ok down to 20 degrees with the right hat.

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2009, 13:45
Hey if after a wash and a long tumble dry if it doesn't smell and still lofts up and you can still fit inside it, what the hay right?

mudcap
01-03-2009, 14:06
5" is pretty darn good. It must still have some life in it to loft up like that after all those years in a stuffsack.

Lellers
01-03-2009, 14:11
I have two army down bags from the Korean war, and while they are no longer warm enough for a winter situation, they still serve a purpose. Even if your down bag can't get you through a freezing night, you can probably use it in some situation. I wash my down bags when they are funky. I have a front loading machine. I wouldn't wash a bag in a machine with an agitator. Dry it on low with some tennis balls or a couple of old clean sneakers (I keep a pair just for this purpose), and then try it in the backyard on a cold night. I also like to wear some sort of hoodie when I sleep in cold weather. The hood helps keep drafts off my neck. Hats come off me when I sleep, because I tend to thrash around. A neck gaiter and hat may work for you to compensate for the lack of hood on the bag.

skinewmexico
01-03-2009, 20:24
Send it to Rainy Pass and have it laundered. Sounds like it would make a great quilt. I have a Herter's down bag I bought in 1975, and I still can't use it if it's warmer than 20 degrees. Really really bad on them to be stored in a stuff sack though.

Feral Bill
01-03-2009, 20:40
I recently washed and dried (front loader, special down detergent) a 40 year old own bag. It came out nearly like new. It never stayed stuffed for long , though.

You could have a perfectly good 20 degree bag.