PDA

View Full Version : Those hiking this year...(or those that have hiked recently)

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 11:32
what are you bringing for a trail guide. Seems like there is more than 1 choice. I already have maps that I am mailing ahead, but which "guide" do you recommend if you only had to carry 1??? Thanks, Josh

Freeze
01-03-2009, 11:45
You don't need maps for a thru-hike. Just follow the blazes, and the info in whichever handbook you decide to take. I like the The Thru-Hikers Handbook (http://www.trailplace.com/hb_2009edition.html) and that is what I'm taking.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 11:48
You don't need maps for a thru-hike.

that's lousy advise joshua. take the maps

Skyline
01-03-2009, 11:55
While the AT is well-blazed about 85% of the way, I respectfully disagree about the need to carry maps.

If you find yourself with a need to bail, for yourself or to get help for someone else in need, maps are essential. They also are valuable when you come to trail intersections where signage and/or blazing is less than ideal or non-existent.

Maps help you get a better bearing on where you are from time to time, and help you identify what you're looking at from viewpoints right and left. Maps can also help you if you want to take a side hike to a waterfall, historic site, etc. from time to time, and to learn the best way to get to a resupply town.

Lyle
01-03-2009, 11:56
Bad advice from Freeze04. If a person chooses to hike without maps, that is their decision, but to encourage others to do so is irresponsible.

I carried pages from both the Companion and AT Pages last year. I really like the layout of AT Pages, but they didn't contain as much detail. I've already ordered 2009 version of AT Pages for this year's hiking, looking forward to the improvements. I'm sure it will be an ever-improving publication. I will probably also carry the appropriate Companion pages again this year. For the basic info about the trail, the Data Book sufficed for many years. It is the most compact, followed closely by the AT Pages.

Maps alone will tell you what you need to know, but one or more of the guides are very helpful and highly recommended - your choice, each has their followers.

yappy
01-03-2009, 11:57
I agree... take the maps.

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 12:09
that's lousy advise joshua. take the maps

I bought them on ebay bout a year ago, why not take them?? I will put them in my bounce box and just take them out accordingly.

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 12:12
Bad advice from Freeze04. If a person chooses to hike without maps, that is their decision, but to encourage others to do so is irresponsible.

I carried pages from both the Companion and AT Pages last year. I really like the layout of AT Pages, but they didn't contain as much detail. I've already ordered 2009 version of AT Pages for this year's hiking, looking forward to the improvements. I'm sure it will be an ever-improving publication. I will probably also carry the appropriate Companion pages again this year. For the basic info about the trail, the Data Book sufficed for many years. It is the most compact, followed closely by the AT Pages.

Maps alone will tell you what you need to know, but one or more of the guides are very helpful and highly recommended - your choice, each has their followers.

I have to be out of my residence at the end of this month and will be packing my world into my van and becoming a rubber tramp, going to pick up my brother (hiking partner) in PA and then back to GA. Question is there a place to buy these guide books without having them mailed to me being that I won't have an address? (99 Chevy Van Anywhere USA..)

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 12:14
you can buy them at amicalola state park or Neel Gap, 30 miles up the trail

Lilred
01-03-2009, 12:34
just one more advantage about maps. It was much easier for me to see the elevation gains and losses on the topo maps, much more accurate than the profiles. I'm betting some of those hikers that ask to look at other people's maps, are ones that said they aren't necessary........ ;)

I'm going to be getting the Appalachian Papers this year for a guide book.

Hooch
01-03-2009, 12:37
Little hint: make sure you know how to orient and read a map. If you don't, then having the map is useless. If you do, awesome! It's becoming a dying art.

stumpknocker
01-03-2009, 12:45
I have to be out of my residence at the end of this month and will be packing my world into my van and becoming a rubber tramp, going to pick up my brother (hiking partner) in PA and then back to GA. Question is there a place to buy these guide books without having them mailed to me being that I won't have an address? (99 Chevy Van Anywhere USA..)

It looks like you are in Lady Lake. You can go to Altamonte Springs to http://www.travelcountry.com/ . They are a good outfitter and should have anything you might need. :)

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 13:08
To get back to the original question:

Joshua, there are 3 major Trail guides that nearly every long-distance A.T. hiker uses, both before and during their hikes.

There is The Thru Hiker's Handbook (see www.trailplace.com)

There is The Thru-Hiker's Companion (see www.aldha.org, or go to the "Ultimate Trail Store" section at www.appalachiantrail.org)

There is Appalachian Pages (www.appalchianpages.com)

All of these guidebooks are updated annually; the 2009 editions will be available around the middle of this month.

It really doesn't matter which one of these you decide to use, tho in recent years, the general concensus is that the Handbook is easiest on the eye, with the best town maps; the Companion, which has the benefit of having many field editors who actually live and hike in the sections they're writing about, is usually considered the most accurate of the three.

In the end, tho, it doesn't really matter which guide you elect to use.

Oh, and as several others have stated, most prudent A.T. hikers also carry and use the best maps they can find, which are also available at www.appalchiantrail.org

Lastly, Joshua, while I strongly advise that you get your Trail guidebook (whichever one you select) before you hit the Trail, if this is impossible, the visitor center at Amicalola Falls State Park should carry them, or Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap/Blairsville GA (directly on the A.T. about 30 miles into the Trail) should have them as well. Also, I see you'll be in Pennsylvania before your hike. If possible, I'd stop at the headquarters office of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry WV which has a very thorough selection of guidebooks, maps, and other material on the Trail.

Good luck!!

Freeze
01-03-2009, 13:30
Like they say, hike your own hike.
I've done plenty of map navigation, mostly in South American jungles and in Asia back in my ARMY days. I stand by my advice; you don't need maps to hike the AT. It's blazed, and the guidebooks have all you need. If you get lost, unless you have a compass, and know how to navigate (specialy in the woods), the maps are worthless.
I could be wrong, but I think most thru-hikers ditch them during their hike.

Anyhow, off topic. Baltimore covered it well.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 13:38
Yeah, you're wrong.

But funny thing, all hikers who are carrying maps end up sharing them with moochers who really find them useful, but were convinced at the outset of their trips that they didn't need them. :D

I'm trying to phrase this delicately as possible, but people who haven't actually hiked extensively on the A.T. might want to be a little more circumspect about telling what folks what they "need" out there.

If one hasn't done it, one is only guessing at what is needed.

Freeze
01-03-2009, 13:45
I can't compete with Jack. 1,500 miles of the trail vs 20,000 +?

Listen to Jack Joshua, take the maps.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 13:45
Would like to re-write my post above, as the tone is a little strong.

Freeze, I REALLY think that people should carry maps on the A.T. and know how to use them. And a compass without a map isn't really much use in the backcountry. It'll tell you what direction you're going in, and that's about it.....it won't tell you if you're heading in the RIGHT direction or the way you want to be going, and a map wil ALWAYS help you with this.

Maps are lightweight and relatively inexpensive. On a thru-hike, they'll cost a handful of change a day. People should carry them and know how to use them. Folks looking to save a few bucks or a few ounces can find better ways to do it than by skipping the maps.

Just my 2 cents, others are welcome to feel differently.

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 13:57
To get back to the original question:

Joshua, there are 3 major Trail guides that nearly every long-distance A.T. hiker uses, both before and during their hikes.

There is The Thru Hiker's Handbook (see www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com))

There is The Thru-Hiker's Companion (see www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org), or go to the "Ultimate Trail Store" section at www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org))

There is Appalachian Pages (www.appalchianpages.com (http://www.appalchianpages.com))

All of these guidebooks are updated annually; the 2009 editions will be available around the middle of this month.

It really doesn't matter which one of these you decide to use, tho in recent years, the general concensus is that the Handbook is easiest on the eye, with the best town maps; the Companion, which has the benefit of having many field editors who actually live and hike in the sections they're writing about, is usually considered the most accurate of the three.

In the end, tho, it doesn't really matter which guide you elect to use.

Oh, and as several others have stated, most prudent A.T. hikers also carry and use the best maps they can find, which are also available at www.appalchiantrail.org (http://www.appalchiantrail.org)

Lastly, Joshua, while I strongly advise that you get your Trail guidebook (whichever one you select) before you hit the Trail, if this is impossible, the visitor center at Amicalola Falls State Park should carry them, or Mountain Crossings at Neel Gap/Blairsville GA (directly on the A.T. about 30 miles into the Trail) should have them as well. Also, I see you'll be in Pennsylvania before your hike. If possible, I'd stop at the headquarters office of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry WV which has a very thorough selection of guidebooks, maps, and other material on the Trail.

Good luck!!
Thanks Jack, that was very helpful, it has been printed and put into my file! Thanks for all of the replies!

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 14:51
You don't need maps for a thru-hike. Just follow the blazes

so a first time hiker is half way between Gorham and Grafton Notch, his buddy, a first timer too, breaks a leg or worse. which way does he go to the quickest help? north? south? a side trail? kinda effed without a map

Worldwide
01-03-2009, 15:29
I didn't carry maps for the sections I was familiar with.

However, not having a get the hell out of dodge plan is a bad idea ecspecially in some of the nastier spots on the AT. If you lost or left a map behind you can still find bail out points from the road crossing info in a trail guide.

That being said there are blue blazes that intersect that AT that could get you to help faster. Carry a map! If you cant afford to buy them that is a whole different story. Maybe someone you know has spares. I certainly have a few left over.

Alot of times I find them in shelters after the people finish that section. I usually grab them up and take them to the nearest hiker box.

karoberts
01-03-2009, 15:29
I didn't take maps last year and I won't take them this year. I carry the Handbook. I looked at the webpage and saw that they added elevation profiles for 2009.

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 15:33
If you can't afford to buy 'em?

Please.

Most people will spend more on their tent, backpack, footwear, or sleeping bag than they will on maps. In some cases, they'll spend a LOT more.

And all of these items are deemed essesntial.

If your budget is so thin you think that you feel you can't afford maps, you probably can't afford to thru-hike, either. :-?

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2009, 15:37
Trail profiles will tell you the elevation of where you're heading and where you've been.

Period.

They won't tell you what's on either side of the Trail; they won't point out places of interest; roads; other trails; water sources.

They won't help you if you need to leave the Trail in a hurry, or evacuate someone from the Trail in a hurry, or report and emergency, accident, or crime.

It's nice that the Thru-Hikers Handbook is adding Trail profiles. It's a fun feature.

It's no substitution for maps.

Blissful
01-03-2009, 16:11
We got lost several times because one of us had the maps at a time. You can get lost, believe me. People have even taken the wrong trail off Blood mtn. There are plenty of places and wilderness areas where there are few blazes. If you are in snow, the blazes are hard if not impossible to see (we got off trail on Roan because of snow obscuring the blazes). Road crossings on gravel roads can be tricky - there's one in Pa that without a map we would have never found the trail. And in PA the state game lands also blaze in white.

I liked the companion as a book for towns, etc.

Captain
01-03-2009, 16:13
AT pages

sticks&stones
01-03-2009, 16:40
so a first time hiker is half way between Gorham and Grafton Notch, his buddy, a first timer too, breaks a leg or worse. which way does he go to the quickest help? north? south? a side trail? kinda effed without a map

I ran into a couple ladies in that very section in 95. One had a sprained ankle. I don't know if they had maps or not, but they had a cell phone, and called for a chopper. We watched from several miles down the trail as the chopper lifted her up in a basket, and rescued her.
nontheless i recommend maps, especially for first timers, and especially in winter.

Kanati
01-03-2009, 16:43
I think some of you misunderstood what Freeze04 said about maps on the A.T. In my opinion, he correctly stated that you "don't need" them. I support that. The trail is well blazed so if you get off, it will probably be due to your inattention, as it was mine a few times. Maps are nice to have, especially if you want more information about the area that you're hiking through. When I was planning my NOBO 08 thru-hike, (which I terminated at Grafton Notch, ME for personal reasons), I considered the benefits of having maps vs the added weight and bulk. I decided to leave them at home and I never regretted it, neither did ask anyone to look at theirs. As an added note, I know of several hikers who had maps and used them to "cheat" and take short cuts. Without a map, you will follow the white blazes, which is what you should do! I only carried the thru-hikers companion which I cut into 5 sections. My wife mailed the sections ahead which I would pick up at the next mail drop location and send the one I just finished home.

I saw at least one female hiker that was constantly discouraged when she looked at the elevations on the bottom of her maps. I suggested to her that she cut that portion of the map off because the elevations are not nearly as bad as the map depicts, and take the elevations as they come.

Joshua, if you think you need maps, take them.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 16:47
As an added note, I know of several hikers who had maps and used them to "cheat" and take short cuts. Without a map, you will follow the white blazes, which is what you should do!

oh god! the horror! :eek: they blue-blazed. no certifacate for them :D

"cheated"? didn't know it was a test

Lyle
01-03-2009, 16:50
As an added note, I know of several hikers who had maps and used them to "cheat" and take short cuts. Without a map, you will follow the white blazes, which is what you should do!

You're taking a frigging hike! You can't "cheat".

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 16:55
You're taking a frigging hike! You can't "cheat".

the sad truth is the vast majority of hikers feel and think this way. oh well HYOH :rolleyes::D

Pedaling Fool
01-03-2009, 17:01
... Without a map, you will follow the white blazes, which is what you should do!...
This really is a sick obsession that has infected the AT community.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 17:03
This really is a sick obsession that has infected the AT community.

i'm so glad i ain't part of that anal community :D

rcli4
01-03-2009, 17:55
i'm so glad i ain't part of that anal community :D

I thought you were the Mayor

Clyde

Cool AT Breeze
01-03-2009, 18:09
Nope, he's the mayor of blue blazers.

Freeze
01-03-2009, 20:14
Lone Wolf is the Blue Blazer?

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p316/EL_DUNKADOR/blue_blazer.jpg

joshua5878
01-03-2009, 21:02
It looks like you are in Lady Lake. You can go to Altamonte Springs to http://www.travelcountry.com/ . They are a good outfitter and should have anything you might need. :)
Thanks for that link, I drove all the way to Gainesville to an unamed outfitter, they where NO help. I had a lot of money to spend, I will try your link. Thanks for the tip!!!

Serial 07
01-03-2009, 21:12
i love the map debate...take the maps...nothing like being in a fire tower or on some great look out and actually having a clue about what you're looking at...they are full of useful info...many will be envious and mooch...let'em mooch...it's just a map...and if you decide you don't want to blue blaze :confused: and don't really need the map, take photos with your digital camera of the profiles and ditch'em...

Lilred
01-04-2009, 00:02
I'd love to find a way to blue-blaze to Maine, using the AT as a connector trail only. LOLOL Bet THAT'S never been done.....hahaha

stumpknocker
01-04-2009, 09:24
Thanks for that link, I drove all the way to Gainesville to an unamed outfitter, they where NO help. I had a lot of money to spend, I will try your link. Thanks for the tip!!!

You're welcome. Talk to Greyhound or Krispy there....both have lots of miles walking different Trails and always like talkin' about walkin'. :)

joshua5878
01-04-2009, 09:38
You're welcome. Talk to Greyhound or Krispy there....both have lots of miles walking different Trails and always like talkin' about walkin'. :)

I will be heading there this week, Mapquested it, about an hour from here, Gainesville was 1.7 hours! I will call ahead to make sure one of those gents are working! Thanks again!

A-Train
01-04-2009, 12:22

Carlo Col trail from the shelter down to Success Pond Road, flag down a logging truck, ride into Gorham. No map used. What do I win?:)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 12:38
a first timer wouldn't know that

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 14:03
the great map debate rears its ugly head again. I dont use maps on the AT. any of the 3 main guides will do for me. the data book doesnt give you all the info you might need in case of emergency but any of the other 3 do. and for the record i have never mooched a map from anyone. I find it humorous that the people pouring over their maps an hour each night and each morning seem to wind up at the same place as mapless me each afternoon.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 14:08
I find it humorous that the people pouring over their maps an hour each night and each morning seem to wind up at the same place as mapless me each afternoon.

i find it humorous watching folks like you filtering water each night and morning :)

bullseye
01-04-2009, 14:36
Joshua you won't go wrong with any of the guides Jack mentioned. It's mostly a personal prefence thing. As far as the map debate goes, I'm with LW and company. They weigh nothing and if you already have them cost you nothing. I like being on a peak and looking at the terrain ahead, trying to figure out where the trail goes. It just adds another dimension to my hike. White, blue, yellow blazes, make 'em all the "official" trail, who cares! Go out and enjoy being there on your terms.

bullseye
01-04-2009, 14:37
i find it humorous watching folks like you filtering water each night and morning :)

A little off topic, but I have NEVER (here we go) gotten sick not filtering water.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 14:38
me neither :)

Panzer1
01-04-2009, 15:10
You don't need maps for a thru-hike. Just follow the blazes, and the info in whichever handbook you decide to take. I like the The Thru-Hikers Handbook (http://www.trailplace.com/hb_2009edition.html) and that is what I'm taking.

If you don't have a map and compass and get lost in New Hampshire and the state has to rescue you they may charge you with the cost of that rescue on the grounds that you are "unprepared".

Panzer

Panzer1
01-04-2009, 15:27
I saw at least one female hiker that was constantly discouraged when she looked at the elevations on the bottom of her maps. I suggested to her that she cut that portion of the map off because the elevations are not nearly as bad as the map depicts, and take the elevations as they come.

I use the terrain profiles to help me determine my position on the map.

Panzer

joshua5878
01-04-2009, 16:11
Man oh man did I open a big old can of worms here. Probably failed to mention also that I am walking out of an office after 20 years (I analyzed things for a living) and into the woods. I bought the complete set of maps last year, know how to use and read them, and wouldn't dare not take them. I have an 11 year old boy who I had to really explain to him what Dad was doing and that was one of the first questions he asked me. Do you have a map? Then he asked to see em!
I do appreciate all of the opinions; bottom line it is up to me and filter (no not the water) the right decisions for me. oh by the way, I still may be asking some questions but I am not bringining a Handgun or a water filter.

Retro
01-04-2009, 16:16
I've seen folks who have carried just the elevation profiles cut from the maps (and nicely laminated too).

I've met other folks who have simply taken pictures of the maps which are then kept stored on their digital cameras for reference.

CrumbSnatcher
01-04-2009, 16:18
my favorite book,is the thruhikers handbook take the maps too. i like the old handbooks better especially for new hikers. wingfoot used to describe the shelter areas and sections of the trail.

Screech
01-06-2009, 10:50
A little off topic, but I have NEVER (here we go) gotten sick not filtering water.
Thats because your a lot less likely to get Giardia from an outhouse seat if you don't sanitize than from tainted water.

Less for you and more for new hikers.

bullseye
01-06-2009, 17:18
Thats because your a lot less likely to get Giardia from an outhouse seat if you don't sanitize than from tainted water.

Less for you and more for new hikers.

:confused::confused::confused: Oooookay...:-?

Frick Frack
01-06-2009, 17:59
We hiked with the Appalachian Pages (& met AWOL at the Happy Hiker Hostel in Atkins, VA). AP was the only southbound specific book I knew of which was a plus. We had friends we hiked with that had the other guide books & none of them (including AP) were 100% accurate but all of them were more than sufficient. You need to look at each one and see what works for you. We carried maps and would not hike w/o them. We also carried a filter and had to pump on more than one occasion for someone ill prepared (I'm not ultra-light and not about to whine & cry over the weight). We used the Appalachian Pages, maps and filter more than once every day so I believe they were necessary.

STEVEM
01-06-2009, 18:25
Man oh man did I open a big old can of worms here. Probably failed to mention also that I am walking out of an office after 20 years (I analyzed things for a living) and into the woods. I bought the complete set of maps last year, know how to use and read them, and wouldn't dare not take them. I have an 11 year old boy who I had to really explain to him what Dad was doing and that was one of the first questions he asked me. Do you have a map? Then he asked to see em!
I do appreciate all of the opinions; bottom line it is up to me and filter (no not the water) the right decisions for me. oh by the way, I still may be asking some questions but I am not bringining a Handgun or a water filter.

I met a young SOBO hiker a few years ago who had injured his back and was trying to recover at a shelter. He had no maps and would cut out and throw away the pages of his guidebook as he completed a section to save weight. As a result he thought that the nearest road was 7 miles away and that the nearest transportation home was 30 miles away at DWG. He had no idea what was behind him.

The shelter he was at is actually only a few hundred feet from a State Park road which is frequently patrolled by park police and he had no idea it was there, nor did he remember (or have a way to determine) that the pavilion and parking lot at Sunrise Mountain has only a mile behind him.

So, take the maps and don't be to quick to butcher your guidebook to save 1/100 of a ounce.

garlic08
01-06-2009, 18:48
Man oh man did I open a big old can of worms here....oh by the way, I still may be asking some questions but I am not bringining a Handgun or a water filter.

Joshua, this thread is a good reason I'm glad I didn't join WB until after my thru hike. Way too much information sometimes. If 10 people respond to your question, you'll get 11 different answers.

I am finding out, for instance, that I did nearly everything wrong. I didn't bring maps, drank untreated water, didn't "smell the roses" because I hiked too fast, I used trekking poles, didn't carry a stove, didn't bring a Rambo knife, etc. I still hiked the AT and loved it. Good luck on your hike.

gravityman
01-06-2009, 19:02
2nd Garlic's post!

I'd also point out that it seemed like more people did NOT have maps than did.

But taking maps is a good idea... But I didn't...

Gravity

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2009, 19:20
Steve's post above is quite instructive.

Previous hikers who feel the need to come here and tell newbies that maps are a waste of money and weight and therefore should be skipped....well, they'd do well to read Steve's post.

There are all sorts of better ways to save a few bucks or a few ounces.

Freeze
01-06-2009, 21:33

me neither :)

Wow, lucky for you guys that the "Filter Police" is more lax than the "Map police". It didn't come down on you like a ton of bricks! Even deleted my post with the Obama joke. Just call me Joe from now on!

bullseye
01-06-2009, 23:07
Wow, lucky for you guys that the "Filter Police" is more lax than the "Map police". It didn't come down on you like a ton of bricks! Even deleted my post with the Obama joke. Just call me Joe from now on!

Filter police, map police, blue blaze police, who cares. That's the problem, everybody says HYOH out of one side of their mouth, then tells you if you don't do it some certain way you're committing some sort of trail heresy. I generally carry maps, but on occasion haven't. I hiked past white blazes, blue blazes, and even skipped the street walking in Dalton (no patch and certificate for me I suppose;)). I stopped carrying filters after mine became a worthless paperweight in the 1st 15 miles of the 100 mile wilderness (I do carry Aqua Mira just in case water looks sketchy). Is my way right? Who cares. What works for you. HYOH and I'll hike mine. At the end of the day you can filter your water and cook on your Jetboil, and I'll not filter and heat water on my alky stove and we can still be friendly company at the same campsite. I'll even let you look at my map if you didn't bring yours:D.

Blue Jay
01-07-2009, 17:33

Terminators are very very serious about protecting humans.

Skyline
01-08-2009, 15:58
I always carry trail maps when hiking in areas I'm not overly familiar with, and urge others to do the same for so many obvious reasons. Does that make me a part of the "Map Police?" I sure don't think it does.

If someone with extraordinary woods skills, or a knack for always having good luck, wants to do without maps it's fine with me but when a new hiker wants an opinion about the wisdom of carrying maps vs. not carrying maps I'll express it. And of course I'll share my maps with anyone who still makes the wrong decision. :rolleyes: :welcome:sun

Freeze
01-09-2009, 19:54
I was trying to be humourus by saying "Map Police". Forget I ever said anything. As a matter of fact, if an admin would do me the favor, please delete all my posts on the subject.

bullseye
01-09-2009, 20:51
I was trying to be humourus by saying "Map Police". Forget I ever said anything. As a matter of fact, if an admin would do me the favor, please delete all my posts on the subject.

Sorry dude, guess you didn't see the smiley. My "humor" is a little dry, if it's humorous at all.

Koombayahhhhhhhh my Lord, koombayaaaaahhhhh...........

goduke
01-10-2009, 14:08
https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=626&compid=1

Duke

Freeze
01-10-2009, 20:37
Sorry dude, guess you didn't see the smiley. My "humor" is a little dry, if it's humorous at all.

Koombayahhhhhhhh my Lord, koombayaaaaahhhhh...........

No problem. My apologies for being moody. I found out I have a broken pinky which requires surgery, with a 10 week recovery. More if the pins have to be external. My thru-hiking funds have to be used to cover what the insurance does not cover. No thru-hike for me this year. I don't mean to hijack the thread either. Please go back to your regular debate.