PDA

View Full Version : Mont Bell UL Thermawrap Jacket Input

SoundWitness
01-03-2009, 17:26
I am looking to purchase the MontBell UL Thermawrap Jacket (synthetic) for my insulation. Before doing so, I am looking for some input from the masses out there who have one. It certainly is light, weighing in just over 9 ounces for the large, but I am specifically looking for opinions on warmth, durability, packability, comfort with a pack on and so on.

I am finally replacing my original EMS synthetic jacket that I purchased via mail order in 1979. It has served me faithfully all these years but still weighs in at over 6 pounds. It is time.......:o

Thanks for all your input

www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301401 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301401)

BrianLe
01-03-2009, 18:44
I thru-hiked the PCT this year with a Thermawrap jacket as --- mostly --- my only upper body insulation. I added a Thermawrap vest (one size larger) to layer in the Sierras, but almost never used it, could have done fine without it.

What works for a given person varies a lot based on hiking style, metabolism, climate and current weather conditions hiked in, etc. I remain very happy with the Thermawrap, bought one for my wife and she likes it too. It's not the warmest possible garment, but for a synthetic I think it does very well in terms of warmth vs. weight.

I would suggest you err on the side of "one size larger" however. I normally wear a size medium; my size medium Thermawrap (bought a couple years ago) feels more like a small or s/m, i.e. --- it's snug.

Durability: I took pretty good care of mine, and never hiked in it (it always would have been too hot), so I can't comment much on that apart from, again, I wore it almost every day for five months or so over 2600 miles in 2008 and it still looks great.

Packability: it packs quite small in its little stuff sack. I don't like to compress insulation layers maximally and it's one extra fiddly thing to stuff it each time, so I didn't use the tiny stuff sack, but rather kept it loose in a rarely sealed, somewhat larger waterproof stuff sack. In that configuration, it crushed down as much as I needed it to when packing everything up.

Comfort with a pack on: again, I never wore it with the pack on. My layering approach was to add a windshirt. I can't recall a time when a windshirt wasn't enough when on the move --- again, hiking style and metabolisms vary --- except for rare instances when I had a poncho due to rain.

Bottom line is that, while expensive, I like mine a lot.

Lyle
01-03-2009, 18:49
I doubt the Thermawrap will replace a six pound synthetic jacket. A Thermawrap is meant to replace a fleece type jacket, but be lighter and much more compressible. By itself, it won't keep you warm in winter temperatures, but as a part of a system, it is very effective - at least my REI Gossamer is.

As with most lightweight equipment, it isn't bombproof, but very adequate for regular use if some care is taken.

Mags
01-03-2009, 19:32
The Thermawrap seems about as warm as a standard 200wt fleece, if much lighter and less bulky.

In other words, about the right warmth for standard 3 season hiking. (I use a lined windshirt from Montbell as I tend to move all day and don't spend much time in camp).

I use it to augment my clothing in shoulder season backpacking or social backpacks where I spend more time in camp. I also keep it stowed in my pack as well when I don't want to carry the big down coat during ski tours.

If you have some sewing skills, and a want a dirtbagger version, check this out:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

At only about 2 oz more, and for $20, it ain't a bad way to go.

I needed to buy my Thermawrap when winter hit early on the CDT. Did not have the luxury of ordering a liner and sewing it at the time.

hnryclay
01-03-2009, 20:55
I use mine as Mags suggested, to replace a 200 wt fleece. I have hiked in mine when the temps were below 20 degrees, and it performed well. I use it to layer under a down vest and over a wool baselayer, for a system that is comfortable sitting around in the low teens. If it gets cooler I throw my Precip over all of it, or crawl in a sleeping bag. I love mine, it compresses to about a 4x6 inch tube. It weighs less then half as much as my old fleece and is just as warm. They are made for layering, slim cut, without a hood. IMO Montbell makes good stuff, and this is one of the best products they make.

Retro
01-03-2009, 21:23
Regarding the Thermawrap, this (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13697) discussion at BPL on the comparative warmth of Montbell jackets may prove to be of interest.

Mags
01-03-2009, 21:34
BPL may be about lightweight backpacking...but man, they don't seem to believe in the KISS principle. :D

My head hurts from reading all that info. Then again, I am not the brightest bulb in the box....

Retro
01-03-2009, 21:42
I think they said (without saying) that the Thermawarp is roughly equal to a 200 weight fleece?

SoundWitness
01-03-2009, 21:55
BrianLe
I would suggest you err on the side of "one size larger" however. I normally wear a size medium; my size medium Thermawrap (bought a couple years ago) feels more like a small or s/m, i.e. --- it's snug.

Thanks....that's really important to know.

Lyle
I doubt the Thermawrap will replace a six pound synthetic jacket. A Thermawrap is meant to replace a fleece type jacket, but be lighter and much more compressible. Just from a sentimental value alone..... Obviously, the technology was what it was in 1979. That big old bear of a jacket has seen its share of trail miles and the occasional football game in the cold weather. It was cumbersome to wear with a pack on.......and took up almost half the pack space to store. It was and still is a "furnace".

hnryclay
use mine as Mags suggested, to replace a 200 wt fleece. I have hiked in mine when the temps were below 20 degrees, and it performed well. I use it to layer under a down vest and over a wool baselayer, for a system that is comfortable sitting around in the low teens. If it gets cooler I throw my Precip over all of it, or crawl in a sleeping bag. I love mine, it compresses to about a 4x6 inch tube. It weighs less then half as much as my old fleece and is just as warm. They are made for layering, slim cut, without a hood. IMO Montbell makes good stuff, and this is one of the best products they make.

THANK YOU hnryclay.....exactly the info and feedback/tips I am looking for.

Retro
Regarding the Thermawrap, this (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=13697) discussion at BPL on the comparative warmth of Montbell jackets may prove to be of interest.

Thanks Retro.....I did venture on BPL but missed that discussion.

Mags
01-03-2009, 22:16
I think they said (without saying) that the Thermawarp is roughly equal to a 200 weight fleece?

Oh ...I know. Just joshing. Let's face it BPL is composed of gear wonks who like to debate the merits of which brand of titanium widget is the best and have the Excel spreadsheets and powerpoints to prove it. :sun

They would never just say " that the Thermawarp is roughly equal to a 200 weight fleece" like most of us just did. ;)

DapperD
01-03-2009, 22:56
I am looking to purchase the MontBell UL Thermawrap Jacket (synthetic) for my insulation. Before doing so, I am looking for some input from the masses out there who have one. It certainly is light, weighing in just over 9 ounces for the large, but I am specifically looking for opinions on warmth, durability, packability, comfort with a pack on and so on.

I am finally replacing my original EMS synthetic jacket that I purchased via mail order in 1979. It has served me faithfully all these years but still weighs in at over 6 pounds. It is time.......:o

Thanks for all your input

www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301401 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=73&p_id=2301401)In my opinion you would do better if you spend a little extra and purchase the parka version. It has more insulation compared to the jacket, and it has an attached hood. It doesnt weigh much more, total weight like 13 oz. The exceloft insulation supposedly will only retain like 1% water weight, and the jacket itself is water-resistant. Like others have said the jacket is warm, but needs to be used in a layering type system of clothing. It is very light and so it is not equal to a heavy winter jacket in thermal ability. All the reviews state it is durable,(the jacket as the parka I believe is new), very warm, very light and compressible, water resistant, and effective in moderately windy conditions. Its cut is "athletic" and they are also sized small,especially in the waist area.

toddhiker
01-04-2009, 00:13
I agree w/ DapperD - I own a Parka.

The slightly thicker insulation of the Parka is worth the little extra weight. And the hood is PERFECT....It even has a brim that doesn't get in the way. Lots of nice touches, too like the stretch panels in the wrists.

I love my hood when in my hammock w/ a quilt! I see you are a hanger, too. Since the parka is part of my sleep system, the hood is a great add-on.

One note - while it definitely is compressible, I don't stuff it in a sack - I also put synthetic insulated items in the top of my pack unstuffed to prevent over-compression.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2009, 00:44
Am I wrong here-you don't hike in it, first sweat would build up in it? Fleese breathes.

peter_pan
01-04-2009, 08:40
Had my Thermowrap for 3+ years now.... wear it daily....it has been packed, compressed about 50-60 times.

It is 40 % the weight of 200 fleece... about half the bulk and far warmer IMHO.

While it goes well as part of a layering system.... best psrt is that it excells in just two layers....Base and itself.... because it is extremly wind resistent...
Yet it still breathes, but not as well as fleece breathes.

Agree with size up ... montbell gear is cut trim.

Pan

Worldwide
01-04-2009, 09:09
I am starting to migrate from synthetics to down. For the duration of it's insulation. All my synthetics were beat. Used and compressed too many times. I started to not get as warm as I used to in my synthetic bags and jackets. There are pluses and minuses to both. If you are sold on synthetic go for it.

My big hang up now is buying American well not so much American just not from a Communist.

hnryclay
01-04-2009, 12:35
I purposely sought out a synthetic because my sleeping bag was down, as was my large insulating layer, so IF some cataclysmic thing happened like my pack fell in a creek, I would still have some insulation to get me out.

garbanz
01-17-2009, 23:15
I wore my thermawrap today on a 14 mile dayhike with my hiking club just to test it out. It was a windy day in the mid to high twenties and we were moving out over hilly ground just below 3mph. I had started out with a light capaline top and lightweight smartwool top under the thermowrap. There was a definite windchill factor on the high ridges but had to shed the smartwool at the first stop. I was surprized to find out the thermawrap actually served not only as insulation but also as a windbreaker. Finished up warm and sweaty. If Id had a full backpack instead of the daypack it would have been way too warm. I bought it for a 3 season camp jacket and this test confirms that is what it should be used for. It would also be appropriate in cooler 3 season wind above treeline with or without baselayer depending on temps.

David S.
01-18-2009, 02:14
Get the thermawrap! I've had one for almost 4 years now and I wear it almost everyday. I haven't been kind to it and it still looks great considering the abuse. With just a smartwool top and the Thermawrap as the outer, I can easily stay warm "just sittin around" in 35-40 temps. If I'm moving...say, hiking along at a good clip, I have been comfortable down to 10 degrees. Thats of course with gloves and hat. The thing is positively windproof, which in my opinion makes it WARMER than my 200wt fleece when the wind is blowing.

I've always said that when this one wears out, I will get another to replace it. I couldn't be happier with it. Its lightweight, it packs small, its pretty much windproof, its very breathable, it will protect you from light rain...(though when I'm backbacking its my piece of gear that I insist on never getting wet.) its very easy to wash, it hasn't lost any warmth after the years I've had it.

My only caution would be to be careful around campfires. The nylon, while I have found it to be extremely durable, is very sensitive to sparks. I have two small holes in mine that are the result of sparks from campfires. Usually, If I have to wear it around a fire, I will wear it wrong side out so if any small holes get burned in it, they will be on the inside rather than the outside.

Mine doesn't have pockets but I know the latest versions do. Pockets would be nice. I can't wait till mine finally gets damaged beyond the point of use so I can get me a new one.

River Runner
01-18-2009, 03:40
The Thermawrap Parka is nice, but I prefer the Down Inner Parka. It feels a little warmer to me, and is a few ounces lighter.