PDA

View Full Version : Missing couple in Snowbird Mtns

hootyhoo
01-03-2009, 19:25
The missing Alabama couple passed me while I was eating lunch yesterday (Friday) around 12:30. Today I came back on Middle Falls trail and when I came across the second to last wet crossing before the log bridge I was putting my boots on when SAR showed up and told me the couple had not returned to Snowbird lodge. It was 32* at 8:30 pm, just about an hour before the ice rain started last night - and the couple was out for a day hike with basic clothing. They still were not found when I got to the parking lot and it started to rain pretty hard about 2pm today. I hope they have been found. Tonight would be a bad night for them if they got soaking wet in the rain today.

I search google for local news around Robbinsville, but came up empty. If anyone heres anything I would appreciate knowing.

Tipi Walter
01-04-2009, 00:18
Hey Hootyho--I just got back recently from a Snowbird backpack and never did find the upper portion of the Snowbird Creek trail #64 due to overgrown conditions and poor trail markings. Very poor trail markings.

Did they park at Hooper Bald or down at the "junction", the deadend road at the beginning of trail 64? I hope they are okay.

tom_alan
01-04-2009, 00:56
:confused: I will certainly pray for the couple. Without the proper protection from the elements I pray that if not found they can at least find some shelter from the weather. :eek:

Ramble~On
01-04-2009, 07:14
This isn't a very big area. The area that sees the most use is between Junction (Trailhead) and Middle Falls. The trails that branch off of Big Snowbird Creek Trail are used little and rough to put it mildly. This is a rugged place and it would be very easy to get lost. So...how much woodsy know how these two have might mean a lot...providing that they are lost rather than hurt. Following any stream downstream will lead them out. There are sections of trail that make turns that aren't easy to find and if you miss them you'll end up walking on old RR grades and logging skid trails. This is easy to do and hard to realize that you've done it becuase much of the trail system is overgrown to the point of "blending in" with these older logging trails. There's a tricky crossing that has an old log with planks nailed to it that isn't easy to cross in the best of weather.
Given the amount of rain we've had Snowbird Creek would be whitewater and there are many crossings that aren't easy in low water.

I hope that they've been found or have found their way out.
This isn't an area or the time of year that I would want to spend the night out in without being prepared for it.

hootyhoo
01-04-2009, 10:56
I felt sorry for them when I found out they were lost- it was sorta cold Friday night and it rained. They must have been really scared when the sun went down. I hope they made it/make it. I think they went up Sassafras Falls trail. I did not see any sign of them after they passed me - just passed the old-car crossing. I went up Big Snow Bird Creek trail and took 64A up to the ridge then saw the rapids at Little Flats crossing and decided not to try that one. Their car was at the junction when I came out, so they must have started there. I was in there for three days and I came back on the Middle Falls trail. My map did not show much detail and there were many cold, fast moving crossings. I had to stop three crossings before the log bridge due to darkness, coldness and scared- ness -- the water was moving pretty fast at that crossing and I could not see well enough to make it. The log bridge was so slippery that one of the SAR men actually crawled across it. I was so slow crossing that bridge that my dog would run to the other side, then come back to me, then run to the other side, then run back to me, ect... it was very distracting for me, but it looked like he was having fun. LOL
One thought I had was that there were 3 four wheelers being used that were not very useful as far as I could tell. If someone on a small dirt bike rode up in there with a Solo chainsaw they could be almost unstoppable and could cover lots of ground and make noise - or someone on a horse maybe - it seemed like there was not much distance being covered. My thoughts are, and always have been that if you get in trouble in the mountains, you are on your own --- you can't count on help coming to save you.

Sly
01-04-2009, 12:32
Where are the Snowbirds? The only one I remember is north of I-40 on the AT.

SouthMark
01-04-2009, 12:41
Robbinsville, NC.

daddytwosticks
01-04-2009, 13:19
The Snowbird Mountain range forms part of the border between Cherokee Co. and Graham Co. NC...my backyard. Main towns in the area: Murphy, Andrews, and Robbinsville.

hootyhoo
01-04-2009, 13:24
Where are the Snowbirds? The only one I remember is north of I-40 on the AT.

They (Snowbird Mtn) are just up 143 from Robbinsville. Take Snowbird Road, go past Robinsons Grocery, road veers left, keep going a mile or two, turn right and cross the bridge to follow Bird Snowbird Creek, goto end of road - trail starts there. There is also access close to TN border on the Cherohala skyway (165 in TN, 143 in NC).

It is a beautiful area - I will be back over there soon - this was my first trip over there and I loved it. A friend told me to go there about 5 years ago. Said that I would like it - he was right on. It is small, but remote.

papa john
01-04-2009, 13:51
Is there any news on this? I tried to find something about it but nothing comes up.

hootyhoo
01-04-2009, 14:00
The SAR guys told me that the couple had stayed at the Snowbird lodge and picked up a paper map at the front desk before heading into the mountains for a day hike. I assume it must have been the lodge that contacted authorities that they were missing. I would call the lodge and ask, but my cell phone went for a sleep over at my daughters friends house. I've got a number, but no phone
Phone: 828.479.3433 or toll free 800.941.9290

I tried the 800 number from my house phone, the other number would be long distance from here.

warraghiyagey
01-05-2009, 10:02
Any updates on this yet?

Ramble~On
01-05-2009, 10:10
I just spoke with Snowbird Mountain Lodge. The couple were found at 1430 on Saturday.
I didn't ask for details.

It's not uncommon for people to "get lost" in Joyce Kilmer, The Snowbirds and the Slickrock Wilderness.

The Snowbirds are a very rugged little place popular with trout fishermen, hikers and photographers. Many Cherokee escaped the Trail of Tears and hid out in the Snowbirds. It's a "Wilderness Study Area" rather than having a "Wilderness" designation due to politicians viewing standing trees as wasted revenue.

Here's a shot of one of four waterfalls in the area:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22704&catid=member&imageuser=2785

papa john
01-05-2009, 10:20
I just spoke with Snowbird Mountain Lodge. The couple were found at 1430 on Saturday.
I didn't ask for details.

It's not uncommon for people to "get lost" in Joyce Kilmer, The Snowbirds and the Slickrock Wilderness.

The Snowbirds are a very rugged little place popular with trout fishermen, hikers and photographers. Many Cherokee escaped the Trail of Tears and hid out in the Snowbirds. It's a "Wilderness Study Area" rather than having a "Wilderness" designation due to politicians viewing standing trees as wasted revenue.

Here's a shot of one of four waterfalls in the area:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22704&catid=member&imageuser=2785

They were found alive and OK?

Ramble~On
01-05-2009, 10:49
They were found alive and OK?

10-4 Alive and well. They were found at 2:30 pm Saturday afternoon.

Phreak
01-05-2009, 11:14
10-4 Alive and well. They were found at 2:30 pm Saturday afternoon.
Glad to hear they were found.

ScottP
01-05-2009, 11:17
Sounds like they had a fun adventure

OldStormcrow
01-05-2009, 12:05
I hope that they at least had a Bic lighter between the two of them!

Marta
01-05-2009, 12:53
Glad to hear they were found alive.

hootyhoo
01-05-2009, 13:17
They were found on Indian Camp Creek at 1430 on Saturday. They were okay and went home to Alabama. The scary part is that I called Cheoah Ranger District Office and they were not even aware that anyone had been lost. Now that's some good Federal dollars at work.

Egads
01-05-2009, 20:41
I'm glad they made it out. But, I wish we knew the whole story.

Joey
01-05-2009, 20:58
I'm glad they made it out. But, I wish we knew the whole story.
That could make for a doozy of a story!! Ya think????:-?

Hikerhead
01-05-2009, 21:01

I agree... do you think there might have been a lot of bitching going on that night? :)

Egads
01-05-2009, 21:03

I agree... do you think there might have been a lot of bitching going on that night? :)

For Sure, & it was a Loooooong drive home

Hikerhead
01-05-2009, 21:04

Straight up........ longest drive of his life for sure. :)

tom_alan
01-05-2009, 21:06

Bet this first week of 2009 is gonna be a long one for him. :eek::eek::eek:

hikingshoes
01-05-2009, 21:10
its nice to here good new that the hikers are OK. Im new to this site and i have to say it is the BEST.be safe<charles