PDA

View Full Version : Don't Scrub Your Nalgene's too hard...

lorac
04-17-2004, 10:34
I stumbled across this article whilst looking for information about growing alfalfa sprouts in a nalgene...
Trendy Nalgene water bottles made of Lexan polycarbonate resin can leach the potent hormone disruptor bisphenol-A, shown to have adverse effects on prostate development and tumors, breast tissue development, and sperm counts. (%0Ahttp://www.eces.org/articles/000776.php)

http://www.eces.org/articles/000776.php

I think I'll just stick to washing my nalgene out with the soft side of a sponge- but I'm not to worried about "normal wear and tear from a dishwasher" as I don't think I"ll encounter too many dishwashers on the trail.
Anyone else have any thoughts?
:-?

texashiker
04-21-2004, 14:35
I was concered after reading your post. So, I talked to my father who worked with Lexan for years. (He is a chemist.) Here is his reply to me. Hope it helps.

There are low levels of bisphenol-A in polycarbonate and this chemical is base soluble (soap is basic) and this chemical is a possible estrogen mimic. There are implications and conjecture that bisphenol-A may cause the things you refer to, but to my knowledge, it has not been conclusively proven. I believe that baby bottles and 5 gallon water jugs are both made from Lexan.

okpik
04-21-2004, 16:02

flyfisher
04-21-2004, 16:34
This has been brought up on 3 or 4 different lists in the last 3 months. Yes, there was a report by a scientist who thinks this is true. I believe the weight of scientific opinion is against that scientist.

I suggest taking a look at the lexan website for a company perspective on the report. Read the two sources and think and decide for yourself.

If one does a search on the topic, all manner of "urban legend" like reports surface about lexan.

I don't use lexan much, but if I did, I would not be worried.

MedicineMan
04-21-2004, 23:17
Lexan bottles are too heavy, overpriced (except for the ones at Walmart maybe)....I prefer bladders but whats wrong with a plastic coke bottle?

Ramble~On
04-22-2004, 05:02
MedicineMan I couldn't agree more.
Compare the weight of a trendy Nalgene to any store bought spring water bottle or Gatorade bottle and there lies the answer.
Less weight equals.........less weight.
What good does the polycarbonate actually do for you on the trail anyway ?
Bladders (I like MSR Dromedary Light) haven't failed me yet and they too weigh less than a Nalgene....and mine holds more than one quart.

Jaybird
04-22-2004, 05:36
I stumbled across this article .................................counts.[/url][/size][/i][/b] http://www.eces.org/articles/000776.php
I think I'll just stick to washing my nalgene out with the soft side of a sponge- but I'm not to worried about "normal wear and tear from a dishwasher" as I don't think I"ll encounter too many dishwashers on the trail.
Anyone else have any thoughts? :-?

LORAC

i carry 28 oz. water bottles.. 2 of 'em...i also carry a Bota 28 oz water bottle with charcoal filter in top (commonly called a "scoop & go" bottle) but only fill it when the water gets scarce.....
NO NALGENE FOR ME!

p.s.: sports drink bottles do the trick too!

okpik
04-22-2004, 06:50

Peaks
04-26-2004, 10:26
Lexan bottles are too heavy, overpriced (except for the ones at Walmart maybe)....I prefer bladders but whats wrong with a plastic coke bottle?

First, I carry the polyethylene Nalgene, not the Lexan version. I like them because they are bomb proof. Certainly plastic bottles, like Gatoraide, are lighter, but the problem I have had with them is that they leak around the lid when I don't keep them up right. And bladders inevitably leak also at the wrong time.