PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking the AT thru SNP in May. Bad idea?

getlost75
01-04-2009, 01:30
I have read that it is not advisable to plan a section-hike along the AT from mid-May thru July because of the priority that is given to thru-hikers in shelters and at campsites. I was starting to plan a backpacking trip thru SNP and came across this information on the NPS website. Now I am debating on whether or not I should plan my trip there or decide on a different section of the AT, or another trail altogether. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow me to be too flexible because I'm in school. I was looking to go when my spring semester ends in May, around the 15th or so. My only other option would be late August, but I think the weather will be too hot and the trail too busy with families and boyscouts. I guess I'm just seeking advice on whether my plan is going to be doable or if the AT will simply be too busy with thru-hikers. I mean is there really any perfect time to hike thru SNP? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 04:02
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have read that it is not advisable to plan a section-hike along the AT from mid-May thru July because of the priority that is given to thru-hikers in shelters and at campsites.

this is absolutely false. all shelters in the park are first come, first served.. thru-hikers are not special

Panzer1
01-04-2009, 05:07
I have read that it is not advisable to plan a section-hike along the AT from mid-May thru July because of the priority that is given to thru-hikers in shelters and at campsites.
All shelters have 4 spaces reserved for thru-hikers. The balance of the spaces (approx 8) are reserved for section-hikers with reservation permits.

plus only thru-hikers are permitted to tent-camp at shelters.

Panzer

chiefduffy
01-04-2009, 05:30
Are we talking SNP or GSMNP?

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 05:32
shenandoah

Worldwide
01-04-2009, 08:34
I would find a differnt part of VA to hike SNP is overused and too many road crossings. Skyline Drive is a constant car noise provider. The park sucks no views unless you go up Bear Fence Mountain ( I think that is it's name ).

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 08:52
plenty of views if you walk along road. plenty of overlooks

BackTrack1
01-04-2009, 09:17
anyone can hike the AT anytime they want, there are no reservations, the shelters are first come first serve, just bring a tent incase the shelter is full or if it has some ignorant A hole in there saying that its only for thruhikers,
if the later happens .
make sure you put your tent right inside the shelter ! :D

Tipi Walter
01-04-2009, 09:42
I would find a differnt part of VA to hike SNP is overused and too many road crossings. Skyline Drive is a constant car noise provider. The park sucks no views unless you go up Bear Fence Mountain ( I think that is it's name ).

I did the Shenandoah in early March when all the stores were closed and the car traffic nonexistent. Highly recommend a winter traverse unless you love the roar of motorcycles and the boundless rolling couch potato car traffic. A winter hike can be a somewhat solitary experience and you never know when you'll get hit with a much better kind of noise than traffic: howling high winter winds on the ridgetops. Maybe even some snow.

snowhoe
01-04-2009, 10:03
getlost75 Who cares if you want to hike SNP in may do it. The thru hikers will not be like oh your not a thru hiker than get out of the shelter. If one of them does than just steal their shoe laces while they are a sleep. Most thru hikers will want to sleep in their tent any way. So just bring a tent and dont be intimidated by them, they are hikers just like you but they are just going a little further. Good luck and go for it.

jafrost
01-04-2009, 10:37
Having lived in VA, I can tell you first-hand that SNP gets VERY crowded during the summer with hikers and motorists. However, when I thru-hiked that area May 18 to 23, there was no problem. So, the sooner the better.

Also, SNP probably has the best trail on the AT--very well maintained with good grades--but almost no views from the trail. For that, you need to roadwalk a bit. You WILL see plenty of wildlife; deer and black bear, if you're lucky. You do need a permit to hike in the park, but shelters are not reserved.

Be sure to visit Big Meadows for resupply. They have a good display about the building of the AT and Skyline Drive at the visitor's center. The Tap Room in the basement of the lodge is a good place to meet other hikers too.

--Jack Frost

Peaks
01-04-2009, 10:40
About the only place where thru-hikers have some priority is in Great Smokey Mountains National Park where 4 bunk spaces are set aside for thru-hikers along the AT. Elsewhere, including SNP, it's first come, first served. In Great Smokey Mountains National Park, off the AT, space is on a permit system.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 10:58
About the only place where thru-hikers have some priority is in Great Smokey Mountains National Park where 4 bunk spaces are set aside for thru-hikers along the AT.

and that is an unofficial rule. nothing in the NPS rules says that
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-regs.htm

Bilko
01-04-2009, 11:03
All shelters have 4 spaces reserved for thru-hikers. The balance of the spaces (approx 8) are reserved for section-hikers with reservation permits. plus only thru-hikers are permitted to tent-camp at shelters. Panzer

About the only place where thru-hikers have some priority is in Great Smokey Mountains National Park where 4 bunk spaces are set aside for thru-hikers along the AT. Elsewhere, including SNP, it's first come, first served. In Great Smokey Mountains National Park, off the AT, space is on a permit system. Peaks

Where is this information published?

Bilko
01-04-2009, 11:33
Sorry Lone Wolf, I posted after you. It does bother me that people asking for advice are given mis-information. getlost75 was given wrong information. A lesson learned for all of us. On the trail or off, get as much information as you can (some will be wrong information some will be correct information) and make the best decision with the information that you have. getlost75, I would go ahead and make plans to leave for SNP on May 15. The park may be a crowded and some shelters may be full, (bring a tent) but it will be a nice hike. I would take a few side trips to overlooks to get better views. Big Meadows is a nice place to relax, try and share a tent site with someone, if you stay the night. The charge is $20 for a tent site if you stay at Big Meadows. Big Meadows' Tap Room is nice. Pinnacles Picnic Grounds has some good views, don't camp at the picnic grounds, walk down the trail a few yards. Mary's Rock has great views of Thorton Gap and Luray, VA. There are several Waysides that are worth walking into. Many hikers do not like all the vehicles and tourist, but that is what you will see in the SNP. If you make it to Front Royal go to the Vistor's Center. Ask for the number to the 'The 'Loft' it is run by Tom and Sharon Johnson. Tom is a past president of the PATC. It is a small hostel run by donations only (by law). The Johnson's love the At and have added on to their house to accomodate hikers. They do not advertise, (told me I could mention their place). Anyway, have a good hike.

Cookerhiker
01-04-2009, 11:45
Those who complain about noise and crowds and traffic are greatly overexaggerating and frankly don't know what they're talking about. Remember people, we're talking May, not "the summer." Big difference!

First of all, in early May you'll find conditions more resembling winter than summer in that none of the trees save the low gaps are leafed out - most are barely budding. So you will get views and one cool thing is to observe the progression of green in the valleys lightening and thinning as you scan your eyes up the ridge to the barren-looking ridgeline.

IMO, May brings out the best flowers. You may still catch bloodroot in early May. For sure by mid-May, you'll see trillium and my favorite in the high elevations: fringed phacelia. As to viewpoints, there are plenty of them. As to traffic & crowds, the most you'd see is on weekends. Yes, I'd avoid Memorial Day weekend but otherwise, you'll never feel crowded.

So ignore the naysayers and go for it. May is probably the best time to hike SNP.

Many Walks
01-04-2009, 12:40
You'll enjoy the hike more if you plan to use a tent or hammock and only use the shelters for eating and socializing. Make use of the waysides and other locations mentioned. The trail crosses the road so many times it's easy to catch some great views like LW mentioned. In the case of really severe weather the rule of thumb is to fit everyone into a shelter. We only had one instance in GSMNP where a few section hikers came in late in the rain thinking they had the entire shelter reserved for themselves because they had their paper and threatened to start pulling people out. Everyone got a huge laugh out of that because the shelter had a bunch of upcoming and ex Marines. That just wasn't going to happen. They mellowed out after a few days on the trail. The reservation system there is flawed because there is no way to tell how many spots are reserved any given night. I'd say hike when you want, but plan to be self sufficient and you'll be fine. Just go with it and enjoy the trip, SNP is a beautiful place to be. Note: If you hike real early in the AM there you'll have a really good chance to see bears. We saw 2 within the first 10 minutes in the park and they kept on coming from there. Pretty cool! Enjoy!

Slo-go'en
01-04-2009, 12:59
Starting on a Friday might not be too bad. Avoid starting on a Saturday, as this is the day many section hikers start, plus the weekend crowd. Mid week would be better. I happend to hit the SNP on a Saturday, along with scores of section hikers. This was in early May.

Pedaling Fool
01-04-2009, 13:19
I have read that it is not advisable to plan a section-hike along the AT from mid-May thru July because of the priority that is given to thru-hikers in shelters and at campsites. I was starting to plan a backpacking trip thru SNP and came across this information on the NPS website. Now I am debating on whether or not I should plan my trip there or decide on a different section of the AT, or another trail altogether. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't allow me to be too flexible because I'm in school. I was looking to go when my spring semester ends in May, around the 15th or so. My only other option would be late August, but I think the weather will be too hot and the trail too busy with families and boyscouts. I guess I'm just seeking advice on whether my plan is going to be doable or if the AT will simply be too busy with thru-hikers. I mean is there really any perfect time to hike thru SNP? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you have a link that shows this, just curious? It is absolutely false. However, SNP is ran by a government bureaucracy and as with most government agencies the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. GSMNP is a perfect example of this; the info on their website is in direct contradiction to the information they provide at the registration station.

May is a good time to go, the crowds would be less than in late August. Good place to see bears got a pic in my gallery of one near Lewis Mountain Campground (2006) and this year (2008) I saw a momma with three cubs in a tree.

getlost75
01-04-2009, 14:42
Wow, thank you for all your input. I will take it all into consideration. Here is the information that I was referring to, "Unless you are a thru-hiker, do not plan your trip along the AT at Shenandoah NP from mid-May through mid-July! While the AT in the park is always busy, this is when the north-bound thru-hikers come through Shenandoah and there will not be any camping available at the huts."
This info can be found in the notes on the following link,
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_15_miles_per_day_E102.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_15_miles_per_day_E102.pdf)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 14:51
Wow, thank you for all your input. I will take it all into consideration. Here is the information that I was referring to, "Unless you are a thru-hiker, do not plan your trip along the AT at Shenandoah NP from mid-May through mid-July! While the AT in the park is always busy, this is when the north-bound thru-hikers come through Shenandoah and there will not be any camping available at the huts."
This info can be found in the notes on the following link,
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_15_miles_per_day_E102.pdf (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-AT_through_SNP_average_15_miles_per_day_E102.pdf)

just get there early in the day, say 3:00 or so

jlb2012
01-04-2009, 16:43
interesting - that remarkable guide suggest picking up water at the South River Maintenance Hut - a rather unreliable source IMO

johnnybgood
01-04-2009, 18:42
That's one of the reasons why I decided to do SNP hike the first 9 days of May , plus the waterfalls should be running full force after what is typically a very wet month of April.

Panzer1
01-04-2009, 20:19
All shelters have 4 spaces reserved for thru-hikers. The balance of the spaces (approx 8) are reserved for section-hikers with reservation permits. plus only thru-hikers are permitted to tent-camp at shelters. Panzer

About the only place where thru-hikers have some priority is in Great Smokey Mountains National Park where 4 bunk spaces are set aside for thru-hikers along the AT. Elsewhere, including SNP, it's first come, first served. In Great Smokey Mountains National Park, off the AT, space is on a permit system. Peaks

Where is this information published?

Oops, sorry, I thought we were talking about Smokey Mountain National Park.

Panzer

bigcranky
01-04-2009, 22:27
SNP is awesome in May and June. Great weather, the trail is beautiful, the wayside restaurants have good food, and there is generally plenty of water. The road can be a little loud on weekends, but on weekdays it's generally quiet. Same with crowds on the trail. We did the park in early June, the middle of thru-hiker season, and had no problems tenting near shelters. There were other hikers, yes, but it wasn't crowded. The NPS web site is overstating the issue, I think.

weary
01-04-2009, 23:05
Everyone should carry a tent or other personal shelter during spring, summer and fall while hiking on the Appalachian Trail -- even in Maine in November. 30 plus years ago, I found the shelters full on Bigelow in mid November, in Maine no less. Three of us had to spend a rainy night in my floorless, one pound, $4.95 "tarp" tent designed for two.

Otherwise, May strikes me as an ideal time to do the trail through Shenandoah National Park. Just do it. And enjoy.

Weary

phishpapond
01-10-2009, 23:58
The huts in SNP are for any out for three or more days.Shelters in the park are day use only. Backwards in SNP

Lemni Skate
01-16-2009, 05:53
I hiked the park in late May last year. The shelters were not overly crowded. The shelters are for Long Distance Hikers in Shenandoah which means three or more nights in the back country. I hiked southbound through the park and only did about 11 miles per day. I ran into different thru-hikers each night and they all were wonderfully fun to spend an afternoon with or eat a meal.

Crowds and noise and road crossing didn't bother me at all. I only had one night with a full shelter and the people there were so fun I didn't mind (I usually just "hung out" at the shelter and actually slept in my tent anyway). The term "crowded" is relative. Does passing 8-10 people on the trail a day count as crowded? The trail does wander near the Skyline Drive quite a bit, but I don't remember spending much time hearing or thinking about traffic noise (yes, the occasional group of motor cycles on weekends). Finally, road crossings? Really, this bothers people? I mean, even if you do 6 in a day and you dilly-dally for 30 seconds at each one you've only spent three minutes crossing roads.

I personally liked popping out every other day at a camp-store or restaurant as it meant I wasn't carrying more than 2 days worth of food at anytime.

I say go for it. Great experience for me.

sly dog
01-20-2009, 13:32
I am doing the SNP up to Harpers Ferry last week of may and first week of June, how cold are the nights then? I have a ultralight bag and wondering if that is good enough, I think it might be a 50 degree one. I used it last year near the end of april thru NJ but i froze at nite. I am usually a warm sleeper but that bag didnt cut it in april.

sly dog
01-22-2009, 13:12
Also I was wondering if I take any blue blaze trails, what are the best ones to hit? I do have a bit of extra time but still I wanna end up in Harpers Ferry, I am taking 2 weeks between the SNP and the roller coaster so I assume I can afford some side trails.One more thing, where is the best place to leave a car in Harpers Ferry that will be safe for 2 weeks.

brianos
01-22-2009, 23:19
I left my car for 4 nights in the parking lot for Harpers Ferry Nat'l Historical Park a few years back. Just had to register my car with the rangers in the visitor center. No problems. The visitor bus runs between the lot & historic 'downtown'.

I haven't been to SNP in quite some time, but when you get to Harpers Ferry, you can get a great view of the town by staying on the ridge line another mile or so (old AT route) instead of following the AT downhill into town. Great view from Split Rock, then double back to the AT down to US-340 and into town. The view from the top of Maryland Heights is also quite nice!

Camping Dave
03-05-2009, 20:15
I have read that it is not advisable to plan a section-hike along the AT from mid-May thru July because of the priority that is given to thru-hikers in shelters and at campsites. I was starting to plan a backpacking trip thru SNP and came across this information on the NPS website. Now I am debating on whether or not I should plan my trip there or decide on a different section of the AT, or another trail altogether.

Are you near the northern or southern end of the park. I will be hiking ing the northern SNP next weekend with a few friends.

Have you considered the Tuscarora trail? Check out the maps at PATC's web site. This trail is well maintained and much much less crowded than the AT. Your risk of running into hordes of thru's and/or partying local drops dramatically on the Tuscarora.

Crash
03-05-2009, 22:20
. and had no problems tenting near shelters. .

?? but the regulations say you can't camp within 300 yds of the shelters.
I thought that was a royal pain when I did SNP last May.

jlb2012
03-05-2009, 23:09
?? but the regulations say you can't camp within 300 yds of the shelters.
I thought that was a royal pain when I did SNP last May.

actually the reg is 300 feet (100 yards) except as permitted at designated campsites

all huts have designated campsites near by - these are probably what were being used to camp near the huts

FlyPaper
03-26-2009, 09:23
Some have said there aren't many views in SNP. I recall many nice views from the trail or very near the trail.

I've done two section hikes in the park in May. The shelters were kind of crowded, but generally there was space available for those who wanted it.

Lemni Skate
04-17-2009, 07:48
Not constant views, but many nice views in SNP along AT. I will say this for waterfall hounds. The waterfalls are not along the AT. If you want to see waterfalls you have to blue blaze and you should go in May.

Mike Way
04-18-2009, 06:35
Just came off the At in SNP. At least at Bear Fence Hut, there was a sign saying something like " Camping here reserved for hikers spending at least 3 nights in the SNP". Didn't know if that meant in the Hut or camping nearby. Since I was only out for 2 nights, choose to beleive it meant in the hut itself. Camped at one of the designated tent sites. Didn't see anyone to tell me I was wrong. :)

johnnybgood
04-18-2009, 15:47
You were first come first had , nothing in park regs. against that.

Just Plain Jim
04-18-2009, 20:25
My buudy and I hiked thru the SNP on May 10th of 2006. We met a couple of thru-hikers and one stayed with us to Harpers Ferry. All in all there were probably less than 5 T-Hs the whole time. Most of the shelter areas have very nice tent sites which I took advantage of. Oh the temps were a little cool that time of the year.

Blissful
04-18-2009, 20:51
Just came off the At in SNP. At least at Bear Fence Hut, there was a sign saying something like " Camping here reserved for hikers spending at least 3 nights in the SNP". Didn't know if that meant in the Hut or camping nearby. Since I was only out for 2 nights, choose to beleive it meant in the hut itself. Camped at one of the designated tent sites. Didn't see anyone to tell me I was wrong. :)

Just checked the regs - it says for hut use, but not specifc about designated sites around hut, so you were probably fine.

johnnybgood
04-18-2009, 21:11
Designated tent sites at huts are for anyone , thats why the aforementioned park regs. don't include them.

mikec
04-18-2009, 21:31
I section hiked SNP the last week of May in 2001. It was great. The mountain laurel are in bloom then and the weather is warm but not beastly hot like it is in June, July and August. I'd say go for it.