PDA

View Full Version : Split from Straight Forward - National Chain Outfitters

darkage
01-03-2009, 13:47
How is this store ... i've yet to go and check it out but i'm looking for an outfitter who sets up there gear so you can see them first hand .... Cabelas in port clinton sucks ... Everytime i go down there they have NOTHING for backpackers ... from backpacks,sleeping bags to tents .... So before i trek an hour 1/2 to REI i was hoping someone could tell me there store front is worth it ...

Lellers
01-03-2009, 14:04
REI is near me, and I go there often, because it's close. I'll be honest with you, I usually shop there and then go online to buy, either at Campmor or EBay. We also have an Eastern Mountain Sports nearby in Warrington (or is it Warminster?) PA. I find they have less in the way of inventory, but still good for basics and to go in and see items and pick brains of the salespeople.

Wise Old Owl
01-03-2009, 14:07
Shopped at REI for years after I lost that loving feeling for EMS. If you don't want help they will leave you alone, if you want help they really address the coustomers needs. Can't get a better place for gear.

On a side note there is one very big/tall guy 40'ish who doesn't smile, can't remember his name. He is a wealth of information on gear and hiking. If you see him, don't hesitate to engage him for help.

emerald
01-03-2009, 15:11
Cabela's in Port Clinton sucks ... Everytime i go down there they have NOTHING for backpackers ...

Maybe they have better fish to fry! I haven't noticed a shortage of customers.:-?

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 15:14
.... Cabelas in port clinton sucks ... Everytime i go down there they have NOTHING for backpackers ...

gee. maybe cuz they cater to hunters, fisherman and other outdoor types. there's to the the outdoors than walkin' trails

Doc
01-03-2009, 16:15
I think that the Cabelas refered to is really in Hamburg, just outside of Port Clinton. We may take great delight in making fun of them but I have to tell you that the bunch of thru hikers who were with me this year as we passed through could talk of nothing else for days. Several even left a site before dawn, way before dawn, to get there. The attraction wasn't gear or other things that we talk about here, but food. Lots and lots of food! They have an ACYE buffet that my companions seemed to smell from 15 miles away. I suspect that there may even have been a negative cash flow experienced by them the day that this group arrived.

Blissful
01-03-2009, 16:16
Cabelas for us was great for socks, a t-shirt, insoles and fuel. They had nothing good on the buffet when we were there, sigh.

The REI in D.C. has packs set out, etc. to try on. But they dont carry the lightweight stuff (I have not seen Granite Gear for example). If you want to try Osprey, then you could go to REI. They also have Gregory.

Panzer1
01-03-2009, 16:22
Everytime i go down there they have NOTHING for backpackers

Well the hundreds of dead stuffed animals hanging on the walls might indicate that the store is mostly for hunters. You kind of notice that as soon as you walk in.

Panzer

Toolshed
01-03-2009, 19:16
I try to hit REI about 4-5 times a year. It is more of a soul journey than a gear trip, since I can never really think of anything I need that I cannot buy used or in an outlet.

I like REI, but it is like REI in Framingham, like REI in Anchorage, Like REI in the various California Stores (not like REI in Seattle though :D). Size varies (TWSS), but the layouts are similar. Some folks are very knowledgeable - Some are not. The Bike guys usually know what's going on, OTOH, many of the of the sales register clerks don't seem to.

I also try to hit Cabela's 3-4 times a year. completely different situation. I don't expect to find backpacking gear there, but I can find a new scope, laser grips and such. I was just there a coupla days ago with a buddy who is a LEO and likes to car camp - He thought they had a phenomenal selection - the XPG tents and XPG backpacks were the best makes he's ever seen - He was more interested in the $3800 night vision goggles and couldn't see why anyone would pay more than $125 for 4 person tent. (It's just a tent, Rick), but wouldn't hesitate to plunk down $35 for a folding cot. I also know that when I go to Cabelas I am competing for attention with 63 other middle-aged guys from all over the NE. If I really need something from Cabela's I go to A/N on Grape Street where I am competing with 2 local guys for the salesclerks attention.

Same thing with the new LLB in CV it is about 5 minutes away, but they cater to more of a "less" redneck crowd than Cabelas. they offer a little more in backpack gear, but not much, unless it seems to say "TNF"

BTW, I drive my Pickup truck with the gun rack to window shop at Cabala's or the A/N Store on Grape St. I drive my little diesel Euro-car to window shop LLB and REI. Wouldn't be caught dead in the little Eurocar at Cabellas.

jethro
01-03-2009, 20:35
You may want to check out the Campmor retail store in Paramus, NJ as well. Not much further from you, and their selection is enormous. Literally dozens of tents are set up and ready to try out. The only significant thing I bought there was my pack, and they were very knowledgeable and helpful.

simon
01-03-2009, 22:18
I've shopped the REI on Ridge Pike, Philly and they were always helpful. I like the gear too. Been to Cabelas outside Hamburg too. They handle more hunting/fishing type gear.

emerald
01-03-2009, 23:41
I think that the Cabelas referred to is really in Hamburg, just outside of Port Clinton.

Tilden Township, Berks County to be exact with a Hamburg mailing address. Port Clinton is just over the line in Schuylkill County.

Both Hamburg and Port Clinton are boroughs. I don't know whether or not other states have similar political units by the same or other names.

In Pennsylvania, boroughs are more developed areas originally created where residents desired more services often including water and sanitary sewer systems. They often have their own police departments. Today, some of them are offering services to outlying areas or are being dissolved and reabsorbed by the townships from which they were created.

Pennsylvania also has cities which are larger.

jersey joe
01-04-2009, 12:48
I have the the luxury of living 20 minutes from the campmor store, If you have the time, drive out to Jersey, it's worth the drive.

zoidfu
01-04-2009, 12:52
If they would only build one in Harrisburg.....

Old Grouse
01-04-2009, 15:02
It would also be a 1.5 hour trek from Bethehem to Mahwah NJ to Campmor. Might be worth it.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 15:05
It would also be a 1.5 hour trek from Bethehem to Mahwah NJ to Campmor. Might be worth it.

big time. Campmor blows away any REI

Johnny Thunder
01-04-2009, 15:34
PS. Campmor's store is in Paramus...the distribution and home office is in Mahwah. Nothing to see there.

Toolshed
01-04-2009, 16:13
Yeah, I forgot about Campmor. I would agree that that if REI is a Soul Journey then Frigging Campmor is a major vacation into a wonderland of gear - An no national corporate BS either. It is what it is. And there is an EMS is right next door.
Just don't Go on Sunday. Closed due to township retail regulations .

darkage
01-04-2009, 17:05
gee. maybe cuz they cater to hunters, fisherman and other outdoor types. there's to the the outdoors than walkin' trails

Absolutely, i didn't mean to intend that at all .... What i mean is its within walking distance from the A.T ... being that close specificly you'd imagine they would cater about more at this store more than they do ... There in store options to any thru are nothing more than food/clothes/fuel and a buffet that basicly serves the same thing daily ... But say your tent or sleeping bag go out on you ... your screwed if you need a in store same day replacement ... Thats all i was basicly saying ... I don't shop anywhere else for fishing gear ... cabelas just rocks for fishing/hunting and camo! ... but again, i suppose i just thought different.

Campmor trip planed this weekend for some more ideas.

ki0eh
01-04-2009, 18:35
Campmor trip planed this weekend for some more ideas.

Hope you didn't try to go on Sunday...

Blissful
01-04-2009, 20:14
Campmor is great. Got my Marmot pounder plus there for the last section of my hike.

Gaiter
01-04-2009, 21:04
ye old backpackers.... they are a backpacking store, in port clinton i believe, they used to be just out side of port clinton (opposite direction of cabelas), they had a small hostel in their old location hopefully they have the same in their new location

Gaiter
01-04-2009, 21:07
http://www.yeoldebackpacker.com/

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 21:28
Absolutely, i didn't mean to intend that at all .... What i mean is its within walking distance from the A.T ... being that close specificly you'd imagine they would cater about more at this store more than they do ... There in store options to any thru are nothing more than food/clothes/fuel and a buffet that basicly serves the same thing daily

AT hikers aren't even on their target market radar. hikers are cheap, especially by the time they get there. there's no money in catering to thru-hikers

emerald
01-04-2009, 22:14
AT hikers aren't even on their [Cabela's] target market radar. hikers are cheap, especially by the time they get there. there's no money in catering to thru-hikers

There are less AT through hikers in the middle too regardless of the direction from which they came. Cabela's caters to people travelling on I78 who have cash or credit cards in their pockets.

They don't seem to mind through hikers, but they don't worship them either. Some who believe they are special may have a problem with being treated like any other customer.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 22:19
thru-hikers think that every little business in every little town 5 miles from the AT should cater to them cuz of their percieved importance. how dare cabelas not even acknowledge them :)

Lyle
01-04-2009, 22:27
AT hikers aren't even on their target market radar. hikers are cheap, especially by the time they get there. there's no money in catering to thru-hikers

Doesn't Cabela's offer free shuttle service to/from Port Clinton if they have the help available. Seems to me some of the folks took advantage of that service when I was there in '06. That's fairly significant acknowledgment if you ask me.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 22:30
Doesn't Cabela's offer free shuttle service to/from Port Clinton if they have the help available. Seems to me some of the folks took advantage of that service when I was there in '06. That's fairly significant acknowledgment if you ask me.

cool if they do.

darkage
01-04-2009, 22:37
Hope you didn't try to go on Sunday...

lmao, no ... this coming weekend .. i haven't gone yet ... and by weekend .. i mean anytime from thursday to saturday .... who shops on a sunday when the playoff's are going on! ? ...

emerald
01-04-2009, 23:06
I've posted before on BARTA service to Cabela's. If it weren't for Cabela's being where it is AT hikers might not have public transportation to Port Clinton trailheads. There's another benefit even if some don't find what they'd like to see on Cabela's shelves.

jethro
01-05-2009, 01:09
Just don't Go on Sunday. Closed due to township retail regulations .

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. All Bergen County retail establishments (except restaurants, food stores, and pharmacies) are closed on Sunday due to the (in)famous Blue Laws.

jethro
01-05-2009, 01:10
In Pennsylvania, boroughs are more developed areas originally created where residents desired more services often including water and sanitary sewer systems. They often have their own police departments. Today, some of them are offering services to outlying areas or are being dissolved and reabsorbed by the townships from which they were created.

Pennsylvania also has cities which are larger.

And Pennsylvania has one Town: Bloomsburg. Not a Borough, not a Township, but a Town. No one seems to know why, either.

[trivia mode off]

Worldwide
01-05-2009, 04:22
I would offer this suggestion. When I visit an outfitter intent on making alot of setup of gear and asking alot of questions I go early in the day before they get slammed with floor traffic.

When I went to the REI in Conshy I took them a dozen doughnuts and a box of joe from the Dunkin Donuts in the same parking lot. It cheers them up and defuses any negative energy that might come from a guy using their scale and comparing differnt items for packing size and whatnot. Plus, I owed REI from a trail magic session they did around Annapolis Rocks ( they fed me and let me rope off and rappel a bit ) The Fairfax, VA crew kicks ass tell em I said so.

peakbagger
01-05-2009, 14:12
I didnt notice a mention of LL Bean. Their catalog is not oriented towards the backpacking public but their store in Freeport carries a lot of good backpacking gear. They dont tend to the have the latest and lightest gear, as their life time guarantee can and does get abused by people who buy lightweight equipment and then use it inappropriately until it breaks so they can return it. Therefore there is usually a one year lag while they see if new equipment is durable enough to sell.

Their factory outlets unfortunately dont get the same rating. Occasionally some good stuff will get returned and shipped out to an outlet but most of the stuff is hihg volume seasonal closeouts.

The staff at the Freeport store in the backpacking area are generally well educated and use the gear. They also can be incredibly helpful. I once was looking for a odd size piece of out of stock equipment and one of the sales folks picked up a phone and connected me up with the manufacturers rep who then gave me the names of the two non bean retailers that had bought that size in the area.

I also like the fact that the company maintains a section of the AT in Maine and supports all sorts of outdoor organizations with cash and equipment.

TrippinBTM
01-05-2009, 17:00
I think that the Cabelas refered to is really in Hamburg, just outside of Port Clinton. We may take great delight in making fun of them but I have to tell you that the bunch of thru hikers who were with me this year as we passed through could talk of nothing else for days. Several even left a site before dawn, way before dawn, to get there. The attraction wasn't gear or other things that we talk about here, but food. Lots and lots of food! They have an ACYE buffet that my companions seemed to smell from 15 miles away. I suspect that there may even have been a negative cash flow experienced by them the day that this group arrived.

Yeah, we (the group I hiked with and I) ate there and it was good. Not really the best quality food, but AYCE is nothing to shake a stick at, and I wasn't complaining... too busy stuffing my face. We wandered around in there for quite a while; the displays of deer and other stuffed animals was impressive, as was their huge selection of guns.

But truly, they do not have much backpacking stuff. probably not a huge market for it, even with the AT so close. Fishing and hunting is the mainstay around there, I'd guess.

I think the shuttle was free. I can't remember now; I guess it was, but we gave the driver some money anyways, being appreciative.

Tinker
01-05-2009, 18:47
I didnt notice a mention of LL Bean. Their catalog is not oriented towards the backpacking public but their store in Freeport carries a lot of good backpacking gear. They dont tend to the have the latest and lightest gear, as their life time guarantee can and does get abused by people who buy lightweight equipment and then use it inappropriately until it breaks so they can return it. Therefore there is usually a one year lag while they see if new equipment is durable enough to sell.

Their factory outlets unfortunately dont get the same rating. Occasionally some good stuff will get returned and shipped out to an outlet but most of the stuff is hihg volume seasonal closeouts.

The staff at the Freeport store in the backpacking area are generally well educated and use the gear. They also can be incredibly helpful. I once was looking for a odd size piece of out of stock equipment and one of the sales folks picked up a phone and connected me up with the manufacturers rep who then gave me the names of the two non bean retailers that had bought that size in the area.

I also like the fact that the company maintains a section of the AT in Maine and supports all sorts of outdoor organizations with cash and equipment.

The few times I've dealt with them, they've been very helpful. If you have any questions about winter hiking, there's a great retailer to talk to (snowshoes, x-c and backcountry skis, crampons, etc. - very knowledgeable). Now if you want to hunt or fish while you're hiking, you're in good company with They have a great little lightweight tent http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=microlight-tent&categoryId=53422&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500105&cat4=1096&shop_method=pp&feat=1096-sub2&np=Y, too. I had one that I sold to a good friend when it became apparant that my wife wasn't going to do any long trips with me. Most of their stuff is good and solid, but I only found their tent (only available from Bean) to be appealing to me.

Mags
01-05-2009, 20:07
REI sells a lifestyle. Equipment and clothing is just secondary. Doesn't make it bad, but it is a different market that may or may not fit your needs.

For general outdoor stuff, I love Campmor.

When buying locally, I love the Boulder army-navy store in town for general purpose items.

Though I rarely buy backpacking equipment there, I love Neptune Mountaineering here in Boulder for backcountry ski equipment. One of the few places that still sells kick wax for skis. (Maybe REI does? I dunno) They also sell boiled wool mittens (only place I know of since Campmor stopped selling them). Talk about old school stuff that still works.

And the thrift store rocks. Target (tar-zhey) and Wallyworld sell the cheap running shorts, tech tops and the cheap blue foam pads that I love.

Peaks
01-06-2009, 18:47
In defence of EMS, their merchandize varies from store to store. Some stores are have more backpacking gear than others. And so of their staff is more knowledgeble about gear than others.

But, that being said, I'd still favor our local outfitter for good personal service and a reasonable price. Pretty hard to beat.

Toolshed
01-06-2009, 19:41
I didnt notice a mention of LL Bean. ....
Sorry - Acronyms. See Post #9 LLB.

mudhead
01-06-2009, 20:19
To add to Peakbagger's LL Bean post. I was last at the Freeport store awhile back, but they had a far larger selection than their catalogs or web site. (Their web site in my opinion is shabby.)

It is fun to talk about keeping non-sweaty in Winter with some non-descript clerk when shopping for a wind shell, and then finding out from some other person the crazed fool is headed to China and Everest.

The place has my kind of hours, if not my kind of prices.

dperry
01-15-2009, 23:21
My general rule is that when I'm spending other people's money, I shop at REI. When I'm spending my own money, I shop at Campmor.:D The one problem is that if I'm getting something that I really need to try on in person, Campmor is a little too far away unless I have an excuse to go there. (Fortunately, we'll be doing more of the AT in NJ and NY, so we'll have plenty of opportunity!) For instance, I got my wife's pack and fleece for Christmas at REI, because I needed to see them to know if they would fit or not.

It is true that REI doesn't have as deep a selection as Campmor or local outfitters might, and probably not quite as much knowledge, either. However, their store brand clothes and equipment are good quality and reasonably priced.

EMS has moved up to Valley Square in Warrington PA, which is not far from us. I'll go there for small stuff, where they are competitive in price, but I haven't gotten anything big there yet.

NCYankee
01-16-2009, 09:21
REI I use for basic quick supplies (backpacker’s pantry) and general quick stuff because there is one 5 miles from my house.
EMS I use for rock climbing gear because I like their selection more than REI

I used to use my local outfitter for packs and specialty stuff (Great Outdoor Provision) but now they seem to carry the same brands as REI (Osprey, Gregory) versus the specialty stuff they used to (Dana, Marmot).

Campmor is for larger purchases

I do shop at Backcountry.com for a good price and haven’t had any of the problems with them that many people have reported.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2009, 10:05
You may want to check out the Campmor retail store in Paramus, NJ as well. Not much further from you, and their selection is enormous. Literally dozens of tents are set up and ready to try out. The only significant thing I bought there was my pack, and they were very knowledgeable and helpful.

I second this. As I tell everyone, no outfittler anywhere has a tent room like Campmor. It's the best store in the country and IMO worth an excursion from Bethlehem.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2009, 10:10
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. All Bergen County retail establishments (except restaurants, food stores, and pharmacies) are closed on Sunday due to the (in)famous Blue Laws.

It's not Bergen County - the blue laws are from Paramus, the municipality. Ramsay Outdoor Store is open on Sundays.

dperry
01-17-2009, 00:44
It's not Bergen County - the blue laws are from Paramus, the municipality. Ramsay Outdoor Store is open on Sundays.
Although for that matter, they close at 7 on Saturday nights (except during Christmas time), which is pretty early, at least by modern retail standards.

brotheral
01-17-2009, 08:33
By far the best "Backpacking" store I've found is the Backpackers Shop, backpackersshop.com, in Sheffield Village, OH about 25 miles west of Cleveland.. Excellent staff and equipment selection.. They also give a portion of sales to charity..:sun They used to have free Saturday am classes on different topics like stoves, hydration, tents. I went to one on stoves several years ago.
Campmor is outstanding for on-line purchases. Went to store in Paramus, NJ before my 1st backpacking trip many moons ago. Planned to stay for 1 hour & finally left after 5 hours....:sun
Have a good day unless you've made other plans :eek:

Cookerhiker
01-17-2009, 09:50
....Campmor is outstanding for on-line purchases. Went to store in Paramus, NJ before my 1st backpacking trip many moons ago. Planned to stay for 1 hour & finally left after 5 hours....:sun....

Yep, sounds like my typical Campmor experience.:D