PDA

View Full Version : Merrell hiking vote

Tudor
01-04-2009, 12:33
I am a huge Merrell shoe/boot fan. I am curious as to the mileage others have gotten with any style Merrell on the AT. It seems mine seem to last longer hiking than casual living.

I had a pair of chameleon's last all of Maine and part of New Hampshire and also 3 months of casual living before I retired them, on the other hand I have a pair of CT marquis' that are falling apart after only 3 months of casual living, no hiking.

Sly
01-04-2009, 12:37
I like Merrell too. They seem to fit me the best. I've been wearing trail shoes for years but due to an ankle injury I just got a new pair of lightweight Merrell boots at REI. Haven't tried them yet.

StarLyte
01-04-2009, 12:56
I wear men's Merrells-my flat feet like the wideness of the toe area.

I'm about due for my new pair though, I've been wearing these sectioning since 2006 :)

Cookerhiker
01-04-2009, 13:17
I bought my first Merrells last September halfway through my Long Trail end-to-end hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=204987). I cut down my mileage the first 2 days because the boots were pinching my toes but that was all it took for break-in; by the third day, I was striding and since then, I've had no problems.

As to mileage, I've only hiked about 300 miles with them but they seem durable.

Serial 07
01-04-2009, 14:03
merrills...i love my pair...wore same style from springer to damascus before i bought a trail runner, but i bet'cha i coulda gotten at least another couple hundred out of'em...good shoe...

Blue Jay
01-04-2009, 18:47
The only shoe I wear on the trail or off.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-04-2009, 20:21
Yep, Merrell's are great. I wore Mesa Ventilator II's on my thru & they lasted 1200 miles, & then only changed them as the sole was getting a little soft.... otherwise they probably would have done another 500-600.
They have discontinued this style though :(
good fit & well made.

Cheers,

Kaptain

SouthMark
01-04-2009, 21:10
Just bought my first pair of Merrell's. Wish I had discovered them at least a year or two ago. That's how long I have suffered with uncomfortable shoes because of Morton's Neuroma in my right foot which is also wider than my left. If I bought shoes wide enough for my right they would be too wide for my left heel. Just got a pair of Merriell Moab Ventilators wide and the have more room in the toe box of any shoe I have tried, yet they fit in the heel area also.

Rambler
01-07-2009, 22:26
I bought a pair of Chameleons size 11. Hiked in them one day they were killing my feet. Found out they were a woman's 11. Anyone want them? Great shoe I am wearing a men's 11 right now!

ZEKE #2
01-08-2009, 18:44
I started at Springer and replaced them at Kincora Hostel. Three days later I stripped the toe protection off. In Perisburg, VA I found that I enjoyed a shoe with a thicker sole.

Ozzieninja
01-08-2009, 19:18
Hate merralls, they were falling apart after 70 miles in VT...VT with rolling grassy hills..the chameleons grips suck I broke 2 trekking poles while crossing streams and slipping on flat rocks. Switched to Garmonts and they last to GA through a month and a half of snow...wore them today hiking... The merralls hurt my feet the whole time as well, I bought them because I read all these reviews of how comfy they are...probably people that use them to lounge around the house. Would never pay a dime for merralls again.