PDA

View Full Version : Egg questions

ofthearth
01-04-2009, 13:34
1 what kind of pan/s do people use to cook eggs. what do they weight.

2 how well does it work to cook eggs in boiling water in a zip bag.

3 have seen much discussion on carrying eggs - good info - but still have questions regarding how long they can last. If I understand the consensus it seems to be that "farm fresh, unwashed eggs" last the longest. Is that 1) an issue or 2) an option on the AT.

tia
ofthearth/chair

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 14:04
i have a small non-stick pan for eggs, bacon and other fryables. don't know what it weighs

boiling water in a ziploc?

when i do carry egss it's only for 4 days. 3 each morning with bacon

Grinder
01-04-2009, 14:17
any kind of egg for a week. You're not going to carry more days food.
Wax or grease for longer (or if you are a safety engineer and want to be extra sure).

single handed sailors stock for the whole transatlantic passage in the sub tropics. (More than a month). Only a few spoil. You know right away,so, no problem poisoning your self.

The free range thing is because they are not washed, which removes some protective oils, like commercial eggs

Grinder

Tinker
01-04-2009, 14:17
I'm with Lone Wolf. You don't need to boil your eggs in a bag. The bag could melt against the side of the pan. If you want to fry your eggs you should have a nonstick aluminum pan. If your pot lid is nonstick you're golden. I sometimes bring the top to my Trangia 23 pot just for frying. Extra weight isn't a problem on a shorter trip.
Eggs, like anything else, last longer on cold days. If you like boiled eggs you can boil them and coat the shells with vegetable oil. I'm not sure how long they'll last, but I've carried eggs for 5 days in the summer (daytime highs in the low 80s, nighttime lows in the high 40s and low 50's). In the morning, while they're still cool (from being in your food sack), wrap them in some insulative clothing and put them in the middle of your pack. They will stay cooler and last longer. Ice cream and beer can be carried effectively in the same way for an afternoon.

emerald
01-04-2009, 14:38
I was not one of the individuals posting on this topic when it was discussed before, but I have a few thoughts to contribute.

For most people, I wouldn't think "farm fresh, unwashed" is an option simply because they are not available at places where most hikers resupply. They might be an option for DIY types who raise their own hens or people who live in rural areas or have access to them and enjoy the occasional weekend or short section hike. Of course, fresh eggs are on the menu at nearly all restaurants and could be prepared at off-trail accomodations where hikers have kitchen access.

I question how practical fresh eggs are on the AT for someone engaged in a longer hike. The additional pack volume and weight involved with their transport and preparation is an issue as oftheearth recognizes. For some, it may not be justifiable from the standpoint of costs/benefits.

There are other ways to obtain egg-derived protein when hiking the A.T. which might be better for those who want to go that route.

I expect their will be others who disagree and look forward to reading their comments.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 14:49
I question how practical fresh eggs are on the AT for someone engaged in a longer outing. The additional pack volume and weight involved with their transport and preparation is an issue as oftheearth recognizes. For some, it may not be justifiable from the standpoint of costs/benefits.

I expect their will be others who disagree and look forward to reading their comments.

on all my long distance hikes i carried bacon and eggs out of towns as well as fresh peppers, onions stew beef, etc. especially in march and april when spoilage ain't a concern. i'm a backpacker not a UL weenie so weight isn't a concern either. cost ain't a concern but the benefits are self-explanatory. bacon, eggs and a fried buttered bagel for breakfast or a freakin poptart?

saimyoji
01-04-2009, 15:11
bacon, eggs and a fried buttered bagel for breakfast or a freakin poptart?

Spanish omelet please. :cool:

Bulldawg
01-04-2009, 15:11
I'd much rather have bacon and eggs for breakfast than a pop tart or a granola bar for sure. I wonder how you guys carry the eggs and keep them from being crushed in your pack?

daibutsu
01-04-2009, 15:12
Coat your eggs in vasoline, they'll last for at least a week, if not longer. We useed to do it in the Boy Scouts, it works!!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 15:13
I'd much rather have bacon and eggs for breakfast than a pop tart or a granola bar for sure. I wonder how you guys carry the eggs and keep them from being crushed in your pack?

i keep them in the carton they come in and pack them near the top

Bulldawg
01-04-2009, 15:20
I have carried 6 on one hike I went on. I have one of those car camping containers made from plastic and simply lashed it to the outside of my pack. I guess a dozen in the top of a pack would work just as well.

emerald
01-04-2009, 15:20
Food safety is temperature-related. Hikers and others need to educate themselves, look out for themselves and be careful about what they eat.

Everyone should keep in mind food safety especially during the warmer months. Long-distance hikers and picnickers should be particularly mindful about food safety, but it's also possible to be served unsafe food at public restaurants near the A.T. Some foods under some circumstances might be best not consumed as a precautionary measure.

A friend of mine became quite ill last year likely as a result of food poisoning picked up at a public eatery. The incident involved a visit to an emergency room and several lost days followed by a several more days of not feeling 100 percent as she continued her hike.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 15:23
A friend of mine became quite ill last year likely as a result of food poisoning picked up at a public eatery. The incident involved a visit to an emergency room and several lost days followed by a several more days of not feeling 100 percent as she continued her hike.

or poor sanitation practices in the woods

emerald
01-04-2009, 15:54
What Wolf suggests could be so and what actually happened could not be determined with certainty, but there was a reasonable probability it could have been an issue with sanitation or more likely a lack of proper refrigeration at a public eating establishment.

The timing and the particular food consumed led her and those who cared for her to consider the possibility. She made a decision as a result of her experience to be more cautious, managed to avoid similar incidents and is now a 2000 miler.

If WhiteBlaze lacks a good thread or article entitled Food Safety with proper links to pertinent information, it certainly would be good use of someone's time to start a thread and write and article. Perhaps someone in the food service industry or health care fields with training in microbiology might be willing to take on this task.

saimyoji
01-04-2009, 16:04
Thats a great idea SOG.

Another great idea is that people who didn't bother to pay attention in junior high and high school science and health classes still get sick deserve to do so.

If I was a teacher whose students didn't pay attention to something I told them would make them sick, and they went and did that thing and got sick, I would laugh. -thats a quote from a high school teacher of mine :p

daibutsu
01-04-2009, 16:26
Can't edit: So here's addenda to the positive effects of coating eggs with vaseline. It was explained to us many years ago that fresh eggs have zero bacteria within the shell and that air/oxygen needs to be present anyhow. Coating the eggs with vaseline stops oxygen from seeping into the porous shell and regardless of temperature, barring extremes, eggs without oxygen can be safely eaten for very long periods of time. We would go more than a week, and i venture to say that could be doubled.

Another strategy we'd use when weight wasn't so much an issue is to crack open eggs and lay them upon one another in a mason jar, and pout them out relatively intact as we needed them, we'd displace the air left in the jar w/ water and we moved from sit to site.

TomWc
01-04-2009, 16:31
or poor sanitation practices in the woods

Yer 2 over 20k LW, time to quit.

ofthearth
01-04-2009, 16:35
boiling water in a ziploc?

sorry if the post was not clear

In one of the posts I read someone mentioned cooking eggs in a ziplock type bag by placing the bag containing eggs etc in boiling water. (See first post below- others are egg related that prompted my questions) The ziploc seemed like a good idea to keep clean up to a min.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=749308&postcount=38

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36442&highlight=storing+egg

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8219&page=2

Pedaling Fool
01-04-2009, 17:09
I would rather have a soft-boiled egg than an egg boiled in a plastic bag. Just a thought.

4eyedbuzzard
01-04-2009, 17:51
any kind of egg for a week. You're not going to carry more days food.
Wax or grease for longer (or if you are a safety engineer and want to be extra sure).

single handed sailors stock for the whole transatlantic passage in the sub tropics. (More than a month). Only a few spoil. You know right away,so, no problem poisoning your self.

The free range thing is because they are not washed, which removes some protective oils, like commercial eggs

Grinder

"Free-range" and "cage-free" simply means the hens aren't confined in small cages. The hens are trained as "teenagers" to lay in egg collection troughs--no, I'm not kidding. Other than that there is no difference in how eggs are processed or packaged afterwards. If they are sold in a store they are washed, sorted, etc according to USDA standards just like any other egg. If they're not, USDA can shut down the egg operation. The whole "free-range" and "cage-free" thing is perhaps marginally more humane, but in the end they kill or sell off the birds as they age when their egg production goes down anyway. Hens simply don't leave the barn in any large commercial egg operation. Of more importance to the quality of an egg is the quality of feed the hens are fed, and this is independent of any "free-range" or "cage-free" claims by the producer.

Organic eggs are by definition cage-free, not fed animal by-products or pesticide containing feeds, not medicated with antibiotics unless there is an outbreak of illness, and in general treated more humanely than other birds. But make no mistake, even if cage-free, and allowed access to roam outside the barn to eat pasture food, generally supplemental feed is supplied in the barn instead, and the hens rarely if ever leave the barn.

Bulldawg
01-04-2009, 18:05
So you don't eat Eggs Buzzard??

Ramble~On
01-04-2009, 18:57
I question how practical fresh eggs are on the AT for someone engaged in a longer hike. The additional pack volume and weight involved with their transport and preparation is an issue as oftheearth recognizes. For some, it may not be justifiable from the standpoint of costs/benefits.

How practical are fresh eggs on any hike ? - Very practical. Maybe it's just me but on longer hikes I try to eat well and not give up foods that I would eat normally at home. Pack volume and weight might be an issue for some if a few extra grams will make your pack uncomfortable...then again, if you fuel up with a good breakfast maybe the pack weight won't be as much of an issue. Transportation isn't an issue either - I wrap eggs in a bandana and place them in a Outdoor Research padded cell. You can use an empty Pringles can and use popped popcorn as padding around the eggs.
Cost and benefits of carrying eggs ?
:-? Well, a dozen eggs is a pretty high ticket item but the benefits of a good breakfast out on the trail is priceless and justifiable for those who like to eat.
I use a 6 inch non stick saute pan. I don't wipe the eggs with Vaseline, I haven't had any problems carrying them for up to a week. I would still use them unless there was an obvious odor to them.

Cooking eggs in a ziplock. I have used oven bags and a little whiz-bang device called a Bakepacker but it would be the same basic thing to cook them inside a ziplock with a few stones in the bottom of the pot to prevent the bag from sticking/melting. http://www.bakepacker.com/ The Bakepacker is great for making omlettes.

Tinker
01-04-2009, 19:58
Spanish omelet please. :cool:
It's a funny thing. Almost all resupply places along the AT are in valleys, so you have to hump a heavy pack uphill after picking up supplies. An extra pound isn't going to kill you (really, isn't that why you bought all that gram-weenie stuff - so you could carry REAL food)? That's what happens, eventually, anyway. You eat the tasty, heavy, fat laden stuff first, the heavy carbo stuff second (bagels, in my case) and so on until the last night before resupply you can't decide to eat the last mac n' cheese or the box it came in. Then you get into town, eat yourself sick, sling on your grease-laden pack, and trudge up the next hill.:datz:-?
Yep. It's important to carry at least some stuff you really like!

Btw, your eggs will carry quite well wrapped up in a bandanna and put inside your cookset instead of your stove. Most stoves can handle travelling stuffed into a sock tied to your pack.

ofthearth
01-05-2009, 14:14
I'm with Lone Wolf. You don't need to boil your eggs in a bag. The bag could melt against the side of the pan. If you want to fry your eggs you should have a nonstick aluminum pan. If your pot lid is nonstick you're golden. I sometimes bring the top to my Trangia 23 pot just for frying. Extra weight isn't a problem on a shorter trip. ...

Tinker- I've looked for this pot with the idea of frying eggs. Can't seem to find it. Did it come in a set? Is it a solo pot (small / light)?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=750717&postcount=4

tia

Grinder
01-05-2009, 15:42
4eyed

I stand corrected. Live and learn. (You can't believe everything you read on the internet, can you? <G>)
But the advice re coating eggs with wax or grease to deter spoilage is even more appropriate.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2009, 16:29
So you don't eat Eggs Buzzard??
Are you kidding? This buzzard is a cannibal. I luv 'em. Sunny side up, over easy, soft boiled, hard boiled, poached, omelettes, and even quiche. I live about a mile(upwind thankfully) from an organic egg farm with some 250,000 hens. We get the cage free organic Omega 3's same day fresh for $2/dozen right from the farm, about half store price.

TomWc
01-05-2009, 17:20
Tinker- I've looked for this pot with the idea of frying eggs. Can't seem to find it. Did it come in a set? Is it a solo pot (small / light)?

tia

Might could try the one egg wonder (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8470895). 4.6 oz.

bruchko
01-05-2009, 17:43
Powdered Eggs in a Zip Lock is fantastic. I mix in cheese and bacon bits and dunk in boiling for 3-4 minutes. Take it out midway and squish it around to get even heating. Comes out like an omelot. Its fantastic for breakfast or any meal for that matter.

fehchet
01-05-2009, 17:47
That's right, if the food is in the barn the little birdies don't venture outside much -- but the door is open if they so desire.
I've been in the food industry most of my life and keeping eggs refrigerated is a big deal these days. Years ago, eggs were kept unrefrigerated at kitchen temperature. I remember working at a HoJoe's when going to college and the eggs were kept on flats right near the grill. Because of the volume of eggs used, they seldom were there for more than a couple of days.
With that said (as Jack sometimes states) I have no problem hauling a dozen eggs around in my pack for 3 or 4 days. Bacon, eggs, onion, garlic, peppers, and a little cheddar in the morning is sure tasty. And grilling a bagel at the end can clean up the pan real good too.
I'd stay away from the petroleum based Vaseline though. MHO HYOH YMMV

skinewmexico
01-05-2009, 19:12
My old sailing without refrigeration cookbook used to say 2-3 weeks if you coat them with vaseline. There was something else you could soak them in, and they would last up to 6 months, supposedly. I don't recall what it was though; had to get it at a pharmacy.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 20:36
y'all don't need to do jack *****t to eggs for hiking on the AT. all this talk of vaseline, oil. etc. is totally not needed. just carry the eggs in a way they won't bust. real simple

Blue Wolf
01-05-2009, 20:59
They make lightweight plastic egg carry cartons in both 6 and 12 they sell them at wal-mart in the camping area not sure of the weight.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=TEXSPORT&ID=1300919&ref=GB

Panzer1
01-05-2009, 23:44
eggs won't go bad on the trail because you will eat them before they have a chance to go bad. If you have a half dozen eggs and eat 2 a day they will be gone in 3 days. If you have a dozen eggs and eat 3 a day they will ge gone in 4 days. That's not enough time for an egg to go bad even in the summer because eggs don't need to be refrigerated. Its not like your going to be carrying them for a month..

Panzer

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 00:37
I was not one of the individuals posting on this topic when it was discussed before, but I have a few thoughts to contribute.

For most people, I wouldn't think "farm fresh, unwashed" is an option simply because they are not available at places where most hikers resupply. They might be an option for DIY types who raise their own hens or people who live in rural areas or have access to them and enjoy the occasional weekend or short section hike. Of course, fresh eggs are on the menu at nearly all restaurants and could be prepared at off-trail accomodations where hikers have kitchen access.

There are other ways to obtain egg-derived protein when hiking the A.T. which might be better for those who want to go that route.

Yes but we covered this to death in the other thread Bulldawg was supported by other website evidence.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36442&highlight=weeks+eggs+spoil
http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm
http://www.fmi.org/newsletters/uploa...3_18_08__2.pdf (http://www.fmi.org/newsletters/uploads/FSC//Shell_Eggs_from_Farm_to_Table_2.doc_3_18_08__2.pdf )
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...igeration.aspx (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Can-You-Really-Store-Fresh-Eggs-a-Year-or-More-Without-Refrigeration.aspx)

emerald
01-06-2009, 07:49
I wasn't suggesting what was posted recently and is now linked could be improved upon significantly, but rather acknowledging some no doubt disagree with points I raised, particularly my own preference to not pack fresh eggs, the gear to prepare them and to pack out their shells.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 07:59
pack out the shells? heck no. goes in the poop hole

budforester
01-06-2009, 08:50

tia

I have one of these (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87741) pot lid/ pan thingies for frying or griddle; it works great. However, it's more gear in the pack, there's a weight penalty 'cause the bottom has enough mass to spread the heat, and a pot lifter tool is needed.

Ramble~On
01-06-2009, 09:22
I carry something pretty similar to this. It might weigh 8 ounces.
http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12936&sku=10709&src=g
I don't take it on every trip but it's nice to do some cooking once in a while. Fajitas, Stir Fry, Bacon & Eggs, Grilled Cheese, Chicken with Bacon/Ranch..if you can cook it at home you can figure out a way to cook it on the trail. Food tastes better to me while in the woods and the same old same old got old...so I'd rather carry the extra weight once in a while and EAT.

IceAge
01-06-2009, 11:20
Pack out the shells!!!!! Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

Bulldawg
01-06-2009, 11:54
I wasn't suggesting what was posted recently and is now linked could be improved upon significantly, but rather acknowledging some no doubt disagree with points I raised, particularly my own preference to not pack fresh eggs, the gear to prepare them and to pack out their shells.

Pack out the shells!!!!! Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

Pack out the shells?? Why?? Other birds and animals will eat the shells as a source of calcium. I actually crush up all of my used shells at home and feed them back to my chickens as a source of calcium. That is LNT gone awry.

IceAge
01-06-2009, 12:10
Heya B-Dawg, I do the same thing. Good to know there are other 'chicken ranchers' around.

emerald
01-06-2009, 17:13
pack out the shells? heck no. goes in the poop hole

Why?? Other birds and animals will eat the shells as a source of calcium. I actually crush up all of my used shells at home and feed them back to my chickens as a source of calcium. That is LNT gone awry.

I disagree with the last sentence. Adding shells to a cat hole, one's compost pile to later spread on one's garden or feeding them to one's own livestock on one's own property is one thing, disposing of one's refuse by feeding wildlife on public property is another.

In more frequently used areas, shells could not only become unsightly and draw unwanted animals, they could create problems for other hikers when these same animals return looking for more. Think habituating animals to a food supply. Feeding wildlife is also illegal on some portions of the A.T. and with good reason.

I thought shelter dumps were cleaned up years ago. Some people seem to be suggesting they still exist and the guiding wisdom today is not LNT or "Pack it in, pack it out," but rather that old standby "the solution to pollution is dilution."

I would like to see some data on how long egg shells take to break down from those who suggest scattering them in the backcountry and information on where this is permitted.

Lone Wolf may be referring to disposing of shells in cat holes. I hope he will clarify his position. I don't think they are something wanted in composting privies, but defer to others for information on that issue. Different clubs may have different policies too.

Even where permitted or not specifically prohibited, disposing of refuse in privies would serve to increase the amount of labor involved with maintaining privies or reduce their useful life. Promoting this practice may lead to people adding other unwanted items or a need to post a list of what's acceptable at every location.

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 17:18
[quote=Shades of Gray;752602]
I would like to see some data on how long egg shells take to break down from those who suggest scattering them in the backcountry and information on where this is permitted.

It can't take too long. Little birdies hatch out each spring. They would be ankle deep if they didn't break down fast.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 17:29
Actually they really don't break down that fast, you are right birds dump the shells and scavangers (rodents & Squirrels) will chew them up for the calcium. They are attracted by the smell and then its all gone.

If you don't believe me put a few shells in the spring on the back patio in a wide flat container so they won't blow away. Keep a control in the window for a reminder. Hey remember Cuttle which is calcium is offered to Parakeets!

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2009, 17:33
I compost everything, egg shells and corn cobs take the longest to break down - very long. Don't know specifics, just haven't paid that much attention, but I know they take much longer than anything else.

However, I wouldn't worry about throwing egg shells on the forest floor, they will break down -- it's simply not an issue -- LNT is a joke.

emerald
01-06-2009, 17:58
I compost everything, egg shells and corn cobs take the longest to break down - very long. Don't know specifics, just haven't paid that much attention, but I know they take much longer than anything else.

This post appears to contradict itself. Compare what's quoted above with what's quoted below.

However, I wouldn't worry about throwing egg shells on the forest floor, they will break down -- it's simply not an issue -- LNT is a joke.

Good idea to make light of LNT and to encourage hikers to disregard it!:rolleyes: Your advice is sure to lead to consensus and a clear understanding about what's expected.

All campsites are not the same. Restraint should be exercised at more heavily used sites at least. Scattering egg shells around shelters in National Parks where bears, raccoons and other mammals may have less fear of humans already is surely not the best course of action and leads to the kinds of conditions which cause people to complain about these facilities and could put people who use them at risk.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2009, 18:09
This post appears to contradict itself. Compare what's quoted above with what's quoted below.

Good idea to make light of LNT and to encourage hikers to disregard it!:rolleyes: Your advice is sure to lead to consensus and a clear understanding about what's expected.

All campsites are not the same. Restraint should be exercised at more heavily used sites at least. Scattering egg shells around shelters in National Parks where bears, raccoons and other mammals may have less fear of humans already is surely not the best course of action and leads to the kinds of conditions which cause people to complain about these facilities and could put people who use them at risk.
It may appear to contradict itself but it doesn't, just because an egg shell takes longer to decompose does not mean it's harmful to the environment -- that's just stupid.

LNT was probably a good thing when it first came out, but it has evolved into a stupid ideology -- I'll provide a link when I find it.

I'm not saying to throw the shells near the campsite, most understand that you don't piss directly near your camp -- again you're being stupid and confrontational.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 18:12
Shades of Grey, LNT is practiced by everyone here, I am sure we all have adopted it. Its a grand idea and it is a joke! We don't have all day to argue about egg shells. Not when folk are dumping car tires, beer bottles, trash, lawn mowers, and old propane tanks in the parking lots along the AT. Get over it.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2009, 18:14
This is what LNT has evolved into

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40479

Bulldawg
01-06-2009, 18:30
What would the difference be in lets say me throwing my egg shells down the mountain near my campsite and a bird that hatched a clutch of babies pushing her used up shells out of the nest when her young ones are born? Not one bit.

BTW, I am not talking about at a shelter. I don't use shelters. I think they should tear them all down. When I camp, you won't see me or find where I have been.

emerald
01-06-2009, 18:31
It may appear to contradict itself but it doesn't, just because an egg shell takes longer to decompose does not mean it's harmful to the environment -- that's just stupid.

I'm not saying to throw the shells near the campsite, most understand that you don't piss directly near your camp -- again you're being stupid and confrontational.

I never claimed egg shells are toxic and the purpose of my posting wasn't to engage experienced hikers in argumentation simply for the sake of argument. My time is more valuable than that. I don't as I've indicated previously post strictly for those who participate in threads, but rather much of the time with new hikers primarily in mind.

I'm not being confrontational. That's only your perception. Nor am I engaging in ad hominem attacks.

We don't have all day to argue about egg shells. Get over it.

I'm not stuck on it. You've read my last post on the subject.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 19:14
1 what kind of pan/s do people use to cook eggs. what do they weight.

2 how well does it work to cook eggs in boiling water in a zip bag.

3 have seen much discussion on carrying eggs - good info - but still have questions regarding how long they can last. If I understand the consensus it seems to be that "farm fresh, unwashed eggs" last the longest. Is that 1) an issue or 2) an option on the AT.

tia
ofthearth/chair

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Picture2.jpg

Hard boil would be a waste of time and fuel, you can do that at home. Soft boil in a bag is 2.5 minutes after the water reaches temperature. Cheap zip didn't melt. Egg did not stick to the plastic. Still requires long spork, hard to eat one egg out of the bag.

My trail pan is the lid of the pot on a pocket rocket. (not shown)

Rain Man
01-06-2009, 19:24
i keep them in the carton they come in and pack them near the top

Same here. And don't bother with the yucky Vaseline. Just dip them in boiling water for 3 to 5 seconds at home. Seals the shell from the inside out. They'll last for weeks, except on MY hikes. I'll eat them long before that!

Rain:sunMan

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 01:35
Wow ! Pretty clear that one of our posters here is pretty against eggs in the woods.
Questions of how practical they are, pack volume, weight, preparation and now issues of disgarded shells. Phew ! Good thing he isn't arguing his points or in charge of group menu planning.

Perhaps I'll post more on this later!

JAK
01-07-2009, 02:08
I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but are there any issues with eggs freezing and thawing in their shell over a day or two before you eat them?

emerald
01-07-2009, 03:14
Pretty clear that one of our posters here is against eggs in the woods.

Wherever did you get that idea? If I know to whom you refer, I believe he pointed out his own preference and specified a number of good reasons why.

Questions ...

There a number of issues for thinking people to consider. He thinks fresh eggs are more trouble than they're worth in the backcountry and would rather eat something else. What's it to you?

Perhaps I'll post more on this later!

I wouldn't be surprised.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 03:25
Jak I am on the fence about that one, If it was cold enough to freeze an egg in the backpack I would not want to be outside in such a thing. I can only guess it would be hard to prepare.

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 03:31
I'm not stuck on it. You've read my last post on the subject.

:-? Somehow...I'm not surprised.

emerald
01-07-2009, 03:36
I said I'd said all I had to say on the topic of egg shells and I fully expected you might post more later just as you indicated.

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 03:39
You said egg shells... Okay. That's great! Congratulations!
I'm certain I'll post more. I like eggs for breakfast on the trail. I think that they are practical.
I think that they are inexpensive, easy to prepare, light and don't take up too much pack volume.
I guess that you and I disagree...huh.

emerald
01-07-2009, 03:57
Your not here, but rather there and I'm glad for it. I can't sleep. What's your excuse for being up at this hour?

I'd put you on my buddy list or threaten to ignore you, but I doubt either would cause you stop responding to my posts. Maybe I'll just try to get some sleep. That might make you go away.

Oh, one last thing before I log off. I don't care what you eat. Mostly I don't like packing the gear to prepare eggs or I might when and where the right conditions exist.

I'd leave you with something about green eggs and ham, but I'm not feeling especially creative. Good night!

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 04:26
Your not here, but rather there and I'm glad for it. I can't sleep. What's your excuse for being up at this hour?

I'd put you on my buddy list or threaten to ignore you, but I doubt either would cause you stop responding to my posts. Maybe I'll just try to get some sleep. That might make you go away.

Oh, one last thing before I log off. I don't care what you eat. Mostly I don't like packing the gear to prepare eggs or I might.

I'd leave you with something about green eggs and ham, but I'm not feeling especially creative. Good night!

Yes, someone is sounding "cranky" and perhaps a nap would do him some good.

I don't care what anyone eats...
Sounds to me in the original post of this thread that ofthearth had questions about carrying and preparing eggs on the trail - Something that Shades of Gray claims he doesn't do.

Good Night- Shades of Gray! Perhaps you'll smell bacon and eggs cooking in your dreams...and if you concentrate real hard.....it isn't Freddy Kruger that'll be doing the cooking:cool:.

emerald
01-07-2009, 04:50
Sounds to me in the original post of this thread that ofthearth had questions about carrying and preparing eggs on the trail - Something that Shades of Gray claims he doesn't do.

Doesn't mean he never has and pointing out why he no longer does could be instructive.

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 04:55
Alas, The smell of fresh bacon and eggs has Sleeping Beauty up from her slumber ?.

:banana

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 04:56
Doesn't mean he never has and pointing out why he no longer does could be instructive.

We're waiting..........at the edge of our seats.

emerald
01-07-2009, 05:11
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for reports from those who have read this thread or may one day read it, but you never know who might and how they may benefit what they saw here.

Ramble~On
01-07-2009, 05:18
Yes. The net is a great thing. WB is a great site. Lots of information to be had and shared.

- No breath holding here. No worries.

jrwiesz
01-07-2009, 06:56
Pack out the shells?? Why?? Other birds and animals will eat the shells as a source of calcium. I actually crush up all of my used shells at home and feed them back to my chickens as a source of calcium.

Eat the shells for the calcium, yourself; in fact cook them with your eggs.

Crunchy yum!!:D

mudhead
01-07-2009, 07:17
What would the difference be in lets say me throwing my egg shells down the mountain near my campsite and a bird that hatched a clutch of babies pushing her used up shells out of the nest when her young ones are born? Not one bit.

BTW, I am not talking about at a shelter. I don't use shelters. I think they should tear them all down. When I camp, you won't see me or find where I have been.

A difference exists. I wish people, especially one's with red user names, would not promote things like this on a public forum.

One peanut shell is biodegradable litter. A pound of them is just a numbers thing.

Feel free to edit this post.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 07:24
oh christ :rolleyes: it's just an egg shell. hardly anyone carries eggs. this is a total non-issue

budforester
01-07-2009, 09:10
I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but are there any issues with eggs freezing and thawing in their shell over a day or two before you eat them?

Yuck; frozen eggs break open and can make a mess. Thaw them (in a container), pick out the pieces of shell, and serve them scrambled. Use them soon, but it's probably cold enough to avoid trouble with microbial spoilage

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 09:27
A difference exists. I wish people, especially one's with red user names, would not promote things like this on a public forum.

One peanut shell is biodegradable litter. A pound of them is just a numbers thing.

I am not going to edit your post. You have the right to show that you think there is a difference between my throwing an egg shell in the woods and a mother bird pushing her eggs out of the nest. The people here can decide for themselves whether they think there is a difference. I am not promoting throwing an apple core out, I happen to pack those out. I am not promoting throwing a peanut shell out (I have no idea where that analogy came from). I am not promoting anything here. I am simply stating a fact. The fact is if I throw out one egg shell every 10-14 miles in the woods every morning for a week, it is no different than a mother bird pushing eggs out of a nest. In fact it is no different than a deer shedding it's antlers in the spring. Other animals will use this discarded material as a source of calcium and vitamins. I really hate it when people seem to forget humans are animals too. We can contribute to nature in the same way other animals do. How much bear $hit have you seen along the trail? I see some every time I am out. Still people go off the deep end when someone suggests that LNT is gone awry. Do you think the indians who raised chickens many thousands of years ago carried their egg shells to a landfill? Do you think those same indians worried about what happened to those shells? I am willing to bet good money they did exactly what I said I do, they left them in the woods for other animals to use as a source of calcium. What you are suggesting is that you are somehow much smarter than anyone else here and your way is the ONLY way. HYOH and let others HTOH.

mudhead
01-07-2009, 09:53
I am not going to edit your post. You have the right to show that you think there is a difference between my throwing an egg shell in the woods and a mother bird pushing her eggs out of the nest. The people here can decide for themselves whether they think there is a difference. I am not promoting throwing an apple core out, I happen to pack those out. I am not promoting throwing a peanut shell out (I have no idea where that analogy came from). I am not promoting anything here. I am simply stating a fact. The fact is if I throw out one egg shell every 10-14 miles in the woods every morning for a week, it is no different than a mother bird pushing eggs out of a nest. In fact it is no different than a deer shedding it's antlers in the spring. Other animals will use this discarded material as a source of calcium and vitamins. I really hate it when people seem to forget humans are animals too. We can contribute to nature in the same way other animals do. How much bear $hit have you seen along the trail? I see some every time I am out. Still people go off the deep end when someone suggests that LNT is gone awry. Do you think the indians who raised chickens many thousands of years ago carried their egg shells to a landfill? Do you think those same indians worried about what happened to those shells? I am willing to bet good money they did exactly what I said I do, they left them in the woods for other animals to use as a source of calcium. What you are suggesting is that you are somehow much smarter than anyone else here and your way is the ONLY way. HYOH and let others HTOH.

What I am suggesting is that I wished you could see the difference.

Litter your own litter.

Enjoy that in your private forum.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 10:20

Litter your own litter.

Guess what, you win. Egg shells produced by a natural living breathing creature that could very well exist and thrive in the very woods you hike in; well they are litter now. I hope if you see a stray chicken while out on a hike you issue it a citation or give it a lesson in LNT for laying it's eggs in the woods. Shame, bad chicken, bad bird!!:rolleyes::cool:

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 10:26
i used to bury tuna cans in the woods. now i just toss egg shells

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 10:28
i used to bury tuna cans in the woods. now i just toss egg shells

Shame on you LW. You should share that only in your private forum; WETF that is? Mudhead is gonna give you a citation.

bruchko
01-07-2009, 10:29
You really just have to let people with those type of extreme opinions go... There is no discussion and when discussion does occur, they tend to only get more dogmatic and more extreme in their comments. The solution is obvious though - use powdered eggs !!

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 10:30
The solution is obvious though - use powdered eggs !!

why. fresh eggs are easy to pack and don't weigh much

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 10:37

Litter your own litter.

You really just have to let people with those type of extreme opinions go... There is no discussion and when discussion does occur, they tend to only get more dogmatic and more extreme in their comments. The solution is obvious though - use powdered eggs !!

What I really want someone to say here is how me chunking one egg shell down the side of a mountain, every morning, every 10-14 miles, for a week is ANY different than a mother bird pushing egg shells out of her nest or a deer shedding it's antlers or a snake shedding it's skin? I AM IN NO WAY PROMOTING that ANYONE chunk all their trash down the side of a mountain. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT EGG SHELLS ONLY!! GET THAT VERY CLEAR, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT BANANA PEELS, APPLE CORES, ORANGE PEELS, OR PEACH PITS!!! How is it any different? Please explain how come I am a bad human not worthy of living.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 10:41
Well Peach Pits might be OK. I came across a nice little Elberta Peach Tree one time on the trail in Georgia in the spring. Made a nice late morning snack. Someone had to have thrown out that peach pit for a tree to be where this one was.:cool::D:D:banana

mudhead
01-07-2009, 10:44
I was with you until the last sentence. Perhaps I should not have sent you what I felt was an explanation by pm. That you still have the LMAO sig line perhaps explains more than you wish it would.

I am glad you do not advocate littering.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 10:48
That you still have the LMAO sig line perhaps explains more than you wish it would.

What are you trying to say? I don't follow you either?

kanga
01-07-2009, 14:47
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Picture2.jpg

Hard boil would be a waste of time and fuel, you can do that at home. Soft boil in a bag is 2.5 minutes after the water reaches temperature. Cheap zip didn't melt. Egg did not stick to the plastic. Still requires long spork, hard to eat one egg out of the bag.

My trail pan is the lid of the pot on a pocket rocket. (not shown)

hey owl, question. why even waste the bag to put it in? why not just cook it in the water?

Sly
01-07-2009, 14:48

Mods clean up the spam and try to make sure everyone follows the user agreement. They're not bound by LNT any more than anyone else..

Maybe you can start a "catholes for peanut and egg shells" thread? :D

Sly
01-07-2009, 14:52
Oh, in case anyone wanted to know, the proper way to soft, or hard boil, an egg is to bring the water to a boil, shut off the gas (or electric) and time it from there.

http://homecooking.about.com/cs/atozfoodindex/ht/How_Cook_Eggs_S.htm

Tips:

Never boil eggs. It makes them rubbery.
Use older eggs. Fresh ones won't peel properly.
To keep eggs from cracking while cooking (before placing in water), pierce large end with a needle, which will also make them easier to peel.

kanga
01-07-2009, 14:53
What I really want someone to say here is how me chunking one egg shell down the side of a mountain, every morning, every 10-14 miles, for a week is ANY different than a mother bird pushing egg shells out of her nest or a deer shedding it's antlers or a snake shedding it's skin? I AM IN NO WAY PROMOTING that ANYONE chunk all their trash down the side of a mountain. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT EGG SHELLS ONLY!! GET THAT VERY CLEAR, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT BANANA PEELS, APPLE CORES, ORANGE PEELS, OR PEACH PITS!!! How is it any different? Please explain how come I am a bad human not worthy of living.

at home, all of my egg shells, banana peels, apple cores, peach pits go in the compost. on the trail, they stay in the woods. it's not plastic, it's nature. seriously, some of you act like an apple orchard would be akin to a nuclear waste dump site. do you argue just to argue or are you really that out of touch and self-righteous?

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 14:58
at home, all of my egg shells, banana peels, apple cores, peach pits go in the compost. on the trail, they stay in the woods. it's not plastic, it's nature. seriously, some of you act like an apple orchard would be akin to a nuclear waste dump site. do you argue just to argue or are you really that out of touch and self-righteous?

Oh at home almost everything goes into compost. I even burn newspaper and junk mail to put in compost. Does wonders for muscadine vines and tomatoes.

kanga
01-07-2009, 15:06
add in some fireplace ash and some rabbit poop.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 15:08
hey owl, question. why even waste the bag to put it in? why not just cook it in the water?

Kanga - you are right and this also contradicts Slys "Never boil eggs it makes them rubbery" The bag was used to avoid a clean up as in FBC. I was attempting to answer a question. Early english cooking used to "spin or swish" the boiling water in a pot and the egg was dropped in the center. If done right it doesn't come out rubbery. For soft boil it came out well. Someone posted turn off the heat, yes I could have done that - might have added another 15 -20 seconds still would have worked.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 15:12
add in some fireplace ash and some rabbit poop.

Got it covered. My kids have 4 rabbits. What a waste of good animal feed. Well except the pellets for the compost. Those 20 hens make some real good compost additive as well. Probably litter though in the whole LNT scheme of things.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 15:17
You know if we were all sitting around a campfire on the trail even after a few beers we wouldn't be talking about bird shells, penuts, peach pits and any other kind of nut at all. I am not sure what we would be talking about but it wouldn't be this.

I find it funny Shades of Grey and Spiritwind couldn't sleep too much.

budforester
01-07-2009, 15:21
Kanga, I may need to borrow that quote about political correctness.

Alligator
01-07-2009, 15:23
I find it funny Shades of Grey and Spiritwind couldn't sleep too much.I've heard eggs can keep a person up late. That's why they are a breakfast item.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 15:31
:eek::rolleyes:We have eggs for supper lots of times. Eggs, bacon, bisquits, and gravy for supper. Sometimes about once a month. I don't ever remember them keeping me up. I could just have a super human resistance to their wakening powers!

Bucky Katt
01-07-2009, 15:40
Ok I have questions about cooking eggs on the trail (now that I realize I can travel on the trail with fresh eggs). I have heard all about putting the egg in a ziplock plastic bag and submerging it into boling water so as to avoid the mess of egg in a pan, but I'd rather not eat my eggs this way.

So, since I want to cook scrambled eggs on the trail in a pan of some sort what sort of pan should I use, will this necessitate my taking olive oil or some other oil on the trail with me so my eggs don't stick, and how do I safely clean the pan after I've cook the raw egg. Do I need to start carrying biodegradable soap so I don't risk samonella poisining? Please advise. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 15:50
Ok I have questions about cooking eggs on the trail (now that I realize I can travel on the trail with fresh eggs). I have heard all about putting the egg in a ziplock plastic bag and submerging it into boling water so as to avoid the mess of egg in a pan, but I'd rather not eat my eggs this way.

So, since I want to cook scrambled eggs on the trail in a pan of some sort what sort of pan should I use, will this necessitate my taking olive oil or some other oil on the trail with me so my eggs don't stick, and how do I safely clean the pan after I've cook the raw egg. Do I need to start carrying biodegradable soap so I don't risk samonella poisining? Please advise. Thanks.

i always cook some bacon first in a small non-stick pan then scramble the eggs in some or all of the grease then wipe clean with toilet paper. simple. no soap of any kind is needed

TomWc
01-07-2009, 15:50

A nonstick pan, I have a "one egg wonder" that I picked up at Kroger

yes on the oil, but just a couple drops or cook up some bacon first

no egg in the pan will be raw once you've cooked it, it will all be cooked.

use a nonstick pan and just wipe it out

Alligator
01-07-2009, 15:57
I recommend using soap on the trail if you use soap at home, and for the same basic reasons, personal hygiene and food sanitation.

Sly
01-07-2009, 16:03
You know if we were all sitting around a campfire on the trail even after a few beers we wouldn't be talking about bird shells, penuts, peach pits and any other kind of nut at all. I am not sure what we would be talking about but it wouldn't be this.

Actually, it comes up often if the litter is in sight.

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 16:17
It's a shame some people are too lazy to carry everything out that they carry in with them. It's simple. It's what the ATC and all of the land management agencies along the trail advise. But some folks not only don't want to do it. They want to brag about not doing it. That's called willful ignorance.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 16:23
a couple egg shells tossed way out of site hurts absolutely nothing

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 16:29
a couple egg shells tossed way out of site hurts absolutely nothing

Are you just willfully ignorant or what??:D:D

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 16:32
Despite the fact that people have an incredible ability to rationalize their behavior, food scraps of any kind should not be left along the trail or in the woods. I don't expect to change the mind of folks who take pride in being contrary. Fact is, leaving food scraps of any kind along the trail can alter the behavior and foraging habits of wild animals. It is also unsightly. It should not be done under any circumstances.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 16:42
Again, I have asked this question many many times. Please explain to me how leaving ONE EGG, PER MORNING, 10-14 MILES APART is any different than a mother bird pushing hatched eggs out of her nest or a deer shedding it's antlers in the middle of the woods? How does an animal know the difference in the two and thusly alter it's behavior?

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 16:45
Multiply that times 1000 thru-hikers, tens of thousands of section hikers, and millions of day hikers, and I think you have your answer.

Tin Man
01-07-2009, 16:46
eggshell a'int nuthin' compared to what people kick some duff over. just saying.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 16:46
Day hikers cook eggs for breakfast? Aren't there millions of birds along the trail?

Tin Man
01-07-2009, 16:47
Multiply that times 1000 thru-hikers, tens of thousands of section hikers, and millions of day hikers, and I think you have your answer.

yep, i trip over eggshells every time i set foot on the at. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 16:52
Day hikers cook eggs for breakfast? Aren't there millions of birds along the trail?

Ever hear of hard boiled eggs? Or apple cores? Or orange peels? Or seed husks? Or banana peels? Or half eaten granola bars? Or any other food product that day hikers might carry into the woods and rationalize that it's OK to discard? Where does it stop?

There are simple, reasonable guidelines that are provided for hikers that you evidently think don't apply to you. Oh well.

The fact that you're sucking up to LW again isn't lost on me. :p

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 16:55

...........................:cool::cool:

The fact that you're sucking up to LW again isn't lost on me. :p

I don't have to suck up to LW just because we think the same. But whatever you want to think if fine by me.:cool:

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 16:59
Good answer Tin Man. Mowgli - why even waste your time, your "worry" about the way folk drop food along the trail alters animal behavior is 1/1000 of the real issue of fast food scraps being thown out of car windows on the road everyday. large populations of rodents attract Red Tails Hawks to sit on poles and watch the road, frequently flying in front of cars and trucks causing dead raptors everywhere. Why worry about an egg shell every ten miles when tens of thousands of animals are being run over all the time. Again folks, Get over it!

Here is what I found on "A" trail some two or thee miles in.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Trash.jpg

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 17:03
Bulldawg - Mowgli is quietly baiting you, let it go,

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 17:04
Mowgli - why even waste your time, your "worry" about the way folk drop food along the trail alters animal behavior is 1/1000 of the real issue of fast food scraps being thown out of car windows on the road everyday.

Like I said. People have an incredible capacity to rationalize just about any behavior.

Hooch
01-07-2009, 17:05
Like I said. People have an incredible capacity to rationalize just about any behavior.Like arguing over egg shells.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 17:06
As I said before, I have adopted LNT and pick up & carry what I can. I don't have a halo, but I do what I can. I just not going to loose it over an eggshell.

Good one Hootch!

I mean Hooch!

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 17:08
I guess every bird out there takes their egg shells to a garbage can on a forest service road?

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 17:09
Like arguing over egg shells.

I'm not arguing. Just stating facts.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2009, 17:09
I guess every bird out there takes their egg shells to a garbage can on a forest service road?

I don't see why not, Bears deficate only in the middle of the trail!

This is so Sesame Street, See ya, time to hunt!- Woo

ofthearth
01-07-2009, 17:14
It's a shame some people are too lazy to carry everything out that they carry in with them. It's simple. It's what the ATC and all of the land management agencies along the trail advise. But some folks not only don't want to do it. They want to brag about not doing it. That's called willful ignorance.

to carry everything out??????? Where does it end? Do you carry your poop out. I think some where there needs to be a little common sense used. If it creates a problem deal with it. I read somewhere (Tree hugger / Slate ) that certain Xmas lites used the energy to lite 500,000 homes. So do we turn all the Xmas lites off.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 17:17
to carry everything out??????? Where does it end? Do you carry your poop out. I think some where there needs to be a little common sense used.

Some might do just that?? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33116&highlight=poop+carry)

Two Speed
01-07-2009, 17:18
So do we turn all the Xmas lites off.'Bout now would be good, seeing as Christmas was more than a week ago.

Can't see egg shells as being a major problem. Well, anywhere but on WB. Everywhere else? Not so much.

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 17:24
to carry everything out??????? Where does it end? Do you carry your poop out.

More rationalizations. Again, not arguing. Just calling a spade a spade.

ofthearth
01-07-2009, 17:27
'Bout now would be good, seeing as Christmas was more than a week ago.

Thanks :cool: I needed that :) got kinda worked up there. To much coffee not enough egg. Was trying to keep up with this thread as I started it and it has provided some useful ( at times ) info. Interesting how it kinda wandered around and the original question ( about cooking in a zip) got asked again.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 17:31
More rationalizations. Again, not arguing. Just calling a spade a spade.

Tell ya what you do Mowgli, just bend me over your knee and spank me for being such a hypocrite whenever you see me. I threw egg shells out of the back door for years before I ever started hiking. I still throw egg shells in the compost pile at home. And even after all this evidence :rolleyes::rolleyes: everyone has given that throwing eggs off the side of the mountain is bad for the environment and so forth, I will still throw my eggshells out, even after you bend me over your knee and spank me for being so LNT ignorant. BTW, I seem to pick up someone else's trash every time I am on the trail. So I am not totally ignorant. Only ignorant on the facts about how a good calcium source helps animals. Despite being basically raised on a farm!!:D:D:welcome:welcome

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 17:33
I have a compost too, and owned hens for a number of years. What does that have to do with the AT?

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 17:47

very, very, very, very few hikers ever carry eggs. non-issue :)

Skidsteer
01-07-2009, 21:44
Thread closed pending invention of genetically modified chickens that lay shell-free eggs. :rolleyes: