PDA

View Full Version : Fuel bottle as a kettle

SGT Rock
10-18-2002, 14:19
I got the newest backpacker because it is about going light. Honestly I didn't expect to find any really new ideas, but one I never thought about was in there. Instead of having a pot, the writer has a 22 ounce aluminum fuel bottle he uses to heat water, carry water, and drink out of. Heat the container over a stove or in a fire then pour the water onto his food in a plastic bowl for re-constitution. That is about a 4.3 ounce multi use container that sounds like a possibly good idea.

Anybody out there ever tried this?

pobbie
02-22-2003, 16:22
you might be able to find a aluminium water bottle that would be the same thing only food safe. When I got my MSR bottle it kinda stunk when I opened it washing might take care of the stink but never tried. The printing on the bottle says it is not food safe. It seems like a good idea though if your meals are just add water.

Kerosene
02-22-2003, 16:30
Any anodized aluminum bottle should be fine for water or other liquids. The only ones I've seen, however, are narrow and tall relative to a cookpot. I wonder how long it would take to boil the water in a container of that shape, meaning that you're wasting some fuel that will partially offset the weight saved with a double-use container.

Colter
03-08-2003, 19:34
I guess the idea doesn't appeal to me. The aluminum bottle would weigh more than most water carriers of the same capacity, and most of us use our cooking pot to boil water and cook in and as a bowl, etc. He's making his single-use water bottle multi-use, while making his multi-use bowl/pot single-use. For me it would be a net loss.

I agree with Kerosene's thoughts on wasted fuel, too.

MadAussieInLondon
03-09-2003, 13:32
my sigg fuel bottle / water bottle, too narrow a base for any stove really..