PDA

View Full Version : What is approach?

Brett
01-04-2009, 15:48
No stupid questions right? Ive seen the question...taking approach? approach trail? Someone please shine a bit of light on the obvious for me...thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 15:52
it's the 8 mile blue-blazed side trail that takes you to the beginning/end of the AT on springer mtn. one of several ways to get there

FatMan
There are two ways to reach Springer; 1) the 8.8 mile Approach Trail from Amicalola Falls, and 2) Backtrack the AT for .9 miles from the Springer Parking lot on USFS 42.

plmitche
The approach trail is the approx. 8 mile trail in GA that takes you to the beginning of the A.T. on top of Springer Mtn.

Basically it's the trail to get to THE trail :)

Preston

Serial 07
it's 8.8 miles of trail from amacalola parking lot/ranger/tourist mug buying station to the actual beginning of the trail on top of springer...it's tough if you are out of shape and carrying a ton of weight...but it's worth doing, one more night on the trail...

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 15:53
or the BMT. or parachute

JTCruiser
01-04-2009, 15:59
The southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail is on top of Springer Mountain. There are at least a couple of ways to get to it in order to begin the trail (if you are hiking northbound). One way is to hike up along the approach trail to Springer Mountain which starts at the visitor's center of Amicalola Falls State Park and is 8.3 miles (13.4 km) in length. There is also another trail, leading from a parking lot on a forest service road (FS42), that is .9 miles one way. I believe that one can park long-term at the visitor's center, which is one reason to start there. Another reason might be that some people consider the approach trail an important part of the total AT experience.

Brett
01-04-2009, 16:00
lol...thanks for the quick response everyone. I think ill take the approach...I run about 4 miles once or twice a week and work in a job that requires lots of walking/climbing/crawling in tight spaces with probably about 15 lbs of gear. so not really worried about being in shape enough. Thanks again!

fancyfeet
01-04-2009, 16:30
You can also get there by driving to Nimblewill Gap and joining the approach trail there, 2.1 miles from Springer. I like the approach trail though. It's wooded and hilly. Not really tough as far as trail goes, just tough for beginners who aren't used to hiking.

Blissful
01-04-2009, 20:13
The Approach trail is a neat walk. Have fun.

Tinker
01-04-2009, 20:26
It's a tradition to some. When the AT was originally laid out, it started at Mt. Oglethorpe farther south. When the area surrounding the orig. terminus got overdeveloped, they moved it to the top of Springer. The approach trail is part of the original trail from Oglethorpe, I've been told. You don't have to do it if you don't want to. Walking from the top of Springer to the top of Katahdin (most people add "in one trip" or "in one calendar year") makes one a thruhiker. How you do it otherwise is up to you.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 21:20
Another reason might be that some people consider the approach trail an important part of the total AT experience.

so is quitting at Neel Gap cuz of "bad knees" :)
sorry. just a fact

kayak karl
01-04-2009, 22:39
sorry. just a factdid the approach on 12/31, killed my left knee, at Neel Gap now. knee feels better. still glad i hiked the approach from the visitor,s center.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 22:42
did the approach on 12/31, killed my left knee, at Neel Gap now. knee feels better. still glad i hiked the approach from the visitor,s center.

say hi to pirate for me. tell him quincy's will be open soon. glad you're doin' good

Just Plain Jim
01-04-2009, 22:55
Taking the Approach trail gives you the opportunity to
1. sign in at the Visitors Center. :welcome
2. Use indoor plumbing for the last time
for 3 or 4 days. :eek:
3. Walk through the "Arch" and onto the trail. :banana

Marta
01-04-2009, 22:58
Howdy, Kayak Karl! So glad to hear you're feeling better. Good luck on the next bit of trail.

This should cheer you up--after being so all-fired set on racing to Neels Gap and getting home, Elena could barely walk yesterday. She was fine by this afternoon, though. Kids...

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 22:58
Taking the Approach trail gives you the opportunity to
1. sign in at the Visitors Center. :welcome
2. Use indoor plumbing for the last time
for 3 or 4 days. :eek:
3. Walk through the "Arch" and onto the trail. :banana

yeah so.... :-?

Tinker
01-04-2009, 23:03
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2946220310059664855nPVUJM

The Arch makes for a nice photo. :)

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 23:06
back in the day there was no stinkin' arch

Tinker
01-04-2009, 23:16
Back in the day there wasn't an AT for that matter......or thruhikers, or trail angels, or shelters........etc.
It's a person's choice on where they want to start their hike, where they want to sleep, who they hike with, etc.
The original AT had many more roadwalking miles and much of it wasn't protected. I doubt many of us would like to go back "in the day".

ofthearth
01-05-2009, 14:46
did the approach on 12/31, killed my left knee, at Neel Gap now. knee feels better. still glad i hiked the approach from the visitor,s center.

Hey KK
Have been checking your map. Seems to load a little slow. Need to click the continue bottom and it will load. See attachments. Is the spot doing what you hoped for?

Glad to hear the knee is doing better. Hang in there.

bloodmountainman
01-05-2009, 16:23
No stupid questions right? Ive seen the question...taking approach? approach trail? Someone please shine a bit of light on the obvious for me...thanks!
Locally known as the pre-trail:D

Alligator
01-05-2009, 16:26
Locally known as the pre-trail:DAre you sure its not pretrail:)?

bloodmountainman
01-05-2009, 16:57
Are you sure its not pretrail:)?
Sounds likes another argument about a certain gap..... Let's call it the trail to the Trail! :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 16:59
it's Turner Corner, Ga.

bloodmountainman
01-05-2009, 17:02
it's Turner Corner, Ga.
PERFECT...... always liked that better. Turner Corner it is! Nobody owns a corner except certain ladies on the job. ;)

fehchet
01-05-2009, 18:03
I'd like to go back to how the AT was in Maine before the relo.

Tinker
01-05-2009, 18:38
I'd like to go back to how the AT was in Maine before the relo.
What relo? Are you talking about before they moved it off the logging roads waaaaaaay back? When it ran underneath what now is Flagstaff Lake? That would be very interesting. I think Bill Irwin followed some of the old logging roads when it became too dangerous for him to follow the "official" ridgeline trail south of Baxter.

Dances with Mice
01-05-2009, 19:05
back in the day there was no stinkin' archNo, no, no! The arch is back there both day and night. It's too heavy to move.

I'm glad I was able to clear that up.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 20:29
back in day (86), there was no arch or signs or scale and don't remember a sign-in book in the office. the trail started to the left of the building. and no shelter 100 yards away. state of GA was smart to add all this stuff. generate some $$ from the hikers and families droppin' them off

fancyfeet
01-05-2009, 20:33
No, no, no! The arch is back there both day and night. It's too heavy to move.

I'm glad I was able to clear that up.

Ha ha ha! Good one!

If LW had a light bulb, he would have seen it!

p.s. The "stinkin' arch" wouldn't stink so if you guys didn't feel the need to christen everything!

Kirby
01-05-2009, 21:06
Not missing anything on the approach trail. although it made Springer feel a little more important than it actually is in the grand scheme of things.

Kirby

Frosty
01-05-2009, 21:13
sorry. just a factOnly for wusses. I made it to Dick Creek Gap. I'm one tough sombitch

Frosty
01-05-2009, 21:51
p.s. The "stinkin' arch" wouldn't stink so if you guys didn't feel the need to christen everything!You're just jealous :D

Hikerhead
01-05-2009, 21:55
Frosty....is that your trail name? Just wondering if you might have received it on the approach trail.

fancyfeet
01-05-2009, 21:57
You're just jealous :D

<Snort!> Well, I do envy you guys the convenience factor.

MoBill122
01-05-2009, 22:56
Someone be sure to interview Brett when he get's to Neel's or thereabouts... Just to ask him if he feels like he's still in shape for the AT.
Thinking I'll sit at top of Amicalola Falls and take pictures of the ones that climb the steps to the top. <G>
Maybe give out cigars to those who do !

ofthearth
01-07-2009, 13:51
<Snort!> Well, I do envy you guys the convenience factor.

<Snort!> :-?:rolleyes:? I thought <Snort!> was a guy thing too ;) .

jersey joe
01-07-2009, 14:09
Part of my reason for hiking the approach trail was because of how it was written about by Bryson. The way he wrote about it, it seemed worth doing.

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 14:46
Great place to pick up new, unnecessary hiking gear.

Runsalone
01-07-2009, 20:29
lol...thanks for the quick response everyone. I think ill take the approach...I run about 4 miles once or twice a week and work in a job that requires lots of walking/climbing/crawling in tight spaces with probably about 15 lbs of gear. so not really worried about being in shape enough. Thanks again!

Bwahahahahahahaha:D Just messin with ya;)

Brett
01-07-2009, 21:02
Bwahahahahahahaha:D Just messin with ya;)

hey wasnt saying im any kinda amazing athlete! Just believe my body is in good shape to take on this challenge!

Runsalone
01-07-2009, 23:43
hey wasnt saying im any kinda amazing athlete! Just believe my body is in good shape to take on this challenge!

No worries! No harm intended;) Youll do great. If I did it in the kind of shape I was in anybody can!

Hikerhead
01-08-2009, 01:34
Frosty....is that your trail name? Just wondering if you might have received it on the approach trail.

The reason I asked is that there is a Frosty Mtn on the approach trail. It's where the blue blaze trail from The Len Foote Hike Inn comes into the AT on the north end. That's all.

fancyfeet
01-17-2009, 00:38
<Snort!> :-?:rolleyes:? I thought <Snort!> was a guy thing too ;) .

Yeah, well people used to say that about hiking, too. :p