PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts about AT

Kirby
01-04-2009, 19:25
I need some interesting facts for an audience that knows what the AT is.

Kirby

emerald
01-04-2009, 19:31
You could likely find some statistical information on ATC's website related to the number of users, etc.

Check out the real fine short piece written by weary posted here yesterday. Someone will link it for you or search his posts for his reply and scroll up to read it. You might find information contained within it useful or may want to read it at your presentation.

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 19:32
The fact that it contains more species of rare & threatened plants & animals than any other unit of the National Park system.

sleeman13
01-04-2009, 19:36
if you own "a walk in the woods" by bill bryson he has bunch of interesting facts about the AT in first 50-100 pgs.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 20:46
I need some interesting facts for an audience that knows what the AT is.

Kirby

it's the route 95 of walkin' paths with tons of exits to blow cash. it's too easy. good for the novice

Rockhound
01-04-2009, 21:02
The AT is where you'll find the largest collection of ego-driven know-it-all experts in the entire world

Ramble~On
01-04-2009, 21:07
Statistically speaking you could find this information on ATC's website....
:-? or you could post the question in a thread here on WB and get your information from any one of the ego-driven know it all experts that haunt these threads. That's the hypothesis of this user generated from the gathered data.

~ Perhaps I'll post more on this later.

ki0eh
01-04-2009, 21:10
The PA A.T. section is the second longest footpath in Pennsylvania.

hurryinghoosier
01-04-2009, 21:10
Backpakcers Magazine's Guide to the Appalachian Trail, Second Edition, Jim Chase.
More stuff than you can imagine.

jersey joe
01-04-2009, 21:13
Not sure if it is even true but I've heard that the first place the sun hits the US in the morning is the top of Mt. Katahdin. I always thought that was a pretty interesting tidbit.

emerald
01-04-2009, 21:20
Not sure if it is even true but I've heard that the first place the sun hits the US in the morning is the top of Mt. Katahdin. I always thought that was a pretty interesting tidbit.

It's true sometimes. Other times and I don't recall the particulars, it's Eastport.

budforester
01-04-2009, 21:21
Kirby, have you worked into a speaking tour? History and heritage interest me. Early, those hills were home to Indians and served as a barrier, restricting European settlers to the coastal plain. The various Gaps were important routes to the interior. Hardy pioneers, seeking land and freedom, built farms and raised families on the frontier. One of the most widely known historical sites is Harper's Ferry, and the AT passes near many more.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 21:32
"gramma gatewood was a fraud!"
earl

FatMan
01-04-2009, 21:39
Here's an interesting read about Springer Mountain (http://www.planetanimals.com/logue/Springer.html).

Kirby
01-04-2009, 21:41
Kirby, have you worked into a speaking tour? History and heritage interest me. Early, those hills were home to Indians and served as a barrier, restricting European settlers to the coastal plain. The various Gaps were important routes to the interior. Hardy pioneers, seeking land and freedom, built farms and raised families on the frontier. One of the most widely known historical sites is Harper's Ferry, and the AT passes near many more.

Nah, I've got a presentation for the AMC Maine Chapter Tuesday.

And yes, at certain times of the year Katahdin is the first place the sun hits in America.

No Belay
01-04-2009, 21:57
The AT is the shortest of the 3 mega trails but is utilized annually by 2.5 times as many hikers as the other 2 ( CDT & PCT) combined.

I just made that up.

TaTonka

weary
01-04-2009, 23:43
Kirby:

THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL, is a nearly 2,200-mile footpath that stretches from Georgia to Maine, bisecting most of the wildest country remaining in Eastern United States. The trail follows the bony backbone of the Appalachian Mountains, the eroded remains of peaks that once stood higher than Everest.

The trail is many things. It's 40,000 white blazes on trees, rocks and fence posts; and an estimated five million footsteps. It's also spectacular mountain vistas, wild forests, and great beds of wildflowers -- trillium, delicate mountain bluets, wild iris, pink lady slippers, trail side mayflowers, startling bright blaze orange azaleas, and brilliantly white flowering dogwood.

The trail is walks through national parks and forests; walks past hill farms and woodlots, and occasionally down main streets of quiet mountain towns.

The trail is brisk cold days of early spring, March snows, chilly April rains, the heat of summer and the beauty of a New England autumn. It's walks above clouds, through clouds -- and occasionally into cloudbursts.

The trail is a giant black snake, imitating a rattler, rustling dry oak leaves as a hiker eases by; and its two bear cubs scurrying up twin saplings, while the old sow disappears into the brush -- then heard scuffling in the distance, circling to protect her babies.

The trail is the sound of a partridge seeking a mate, drumming on a hollow log, sounding like a malfunctioning chainsaw to one puzzled hiker.
It's the cry of a pileated woodpecker, its red crest flashing through an ancient and decaying forest, the faint gobbles of a wild turkey on a brisk spring morn, and the slow circling of a hawk, seeking its supper. And it's a tiny, gray bird flying through the feet of a startled hiker from a trail side nest, filled with the mouths of hungry nestlings.

The trail is the hulks of four 60-year-old cars rusting away in an ancient farm pasture, now part of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

And it's an icy cooking pot one chilly spring morning in Georgia, and the yodeling of a coyote heard from a remote mountain shelter.

The trail is also 4,000 volunteers clearing blowdowns, brush and thistles while battling black flies and mosquitoes — and sometimes angry hornets — part of the greatest volunteer recreational project in history.

And it's four million day hikers, out for a summer's walk. Some two thousand thru-hikers, of which a 100, maybe 200, will actually reach the trail's end on Katahdin.

The trail each year attracts a community of people: a few thousand with a dream of walking through these wilds for months on end from a wooded mountain in Georgia, north through spring, summer and early fall, to a barren and often icy summit in Maine; many more just out for a day, a weekend or a week of respite from civilization.

The trail is a community of hikers enjoying the beauties of nature, and sharing concerns, blisters, adventures, sore toes, sprained knees, and the wonders of a wild country. It's two 20-year-olds jogging to catch Solo Sal, a 62-year-old retired school teacher who had left her tent poles behind.

It's an 80-year-old-retired grocer in North Carolina offering a hiker from Maine "a ride to the top of the hill." Some hike alone, others with friends, lovers, relatives -- or strangers met a few moments, or a few days earlier on the trail. All share a common experience, a common adventure. All join in each others successes and tribulations, share meals when supplies run low, and lament the mishaps and illnesses. Trail registers are filled with words of encouragement for those left behind.

Like the hay mowers on Robert Frost's New England hill farms, the people who hike the trail, hike together, whether together or apart.

Uncle Tom
01-05-2009, 07:44
Earl Schaffer did not wear socks when he hiked. I think this is the most interesting AT fact I've come across.

joshua5878
01-05-2009, 08:05
I found these podcasts with lots of historical info on the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I clicked on the links and they loaded for free into my Itunes. Good luck!

http://www.smokiesinformation.org/podcasts.htm

Ramble~On
01-05-2009, 09:57
Weary - That's Awesome !

Jim Adams
01-05-2009, 10:11
Very nice Weary, very nice.

geek

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 10:17
The first AT thru-hikers were actually a group of Boy Scouts in 1936.

http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/sum00.pdf

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 10:41

so earl wasn't the first

weary
01-05-2009, 11:53

And they were some powerful scouts. As I recall from the original letter in the ATC magazine, the scouts did Maine in around six days -- an average of 47 miles a day unsupported. And the whole trail in about four months.

The claim is based on the tales of an old man, who couldn't remember the names of all of the other five who were on the long walk. He certainly had walked part of the trail as a teenager. But how much will never be known. The AT was not a single connected footpath through Maine in 1936 -- and there may have been gaps elsewhere, though I don't really know. But Civilian Conservation Corps workers did not finally connect the two parts of the Maine trail until the summer of 1937. There's a plaque honoring the feat a few miles south of Sugarloaf.

In 1936 there was no definition of what constituted a thru hike. And then, as now, claimants were on the honor system. It's my belief that Earl was the first "thru hiker," who qualifies under the present definition, i.e. one who makes an honest effort to walk the whole trail.

Weary

Tinker
01-05-2009, 12:02
Cadillac Mountain is the first place in Maine, at least, that the sun hits. That's why so many sun worshippers meet there the winter solstice.

Re: the scouts - whether they were the first to hike the trail or not is debatable (and will continue to be debated, due to the lack of hard evidence and passing of both time and the participants), Earl Shaffer was still the first solo hiker (that reported back, at least) to have hiked the trail. There weren't "trail angels" or internet support groups or any ultralight high-tech stuff to help him do it back then, either. That took some doing. With a group, you can elect one person to hitch into town while the others rest, if you so desire. He was on his own, with primitive equipment, no "trail family" etc. I'm sure he wouldn't have had it any other way. Quite an adventure, to say the least.

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 12:10
And they were some powerful scouts. As I recall from the original letter in the ATC magazine, the scouts did Maine in around six days -- an average of 47 miles a day unsupported. And the whole trail in about four months.

The claim is based on the tales of an old man, who couldn't remember the names of all of the other five who were on the long walk. He certainly had walked part of the trail as a teenager. But how much will never be known.

Weary

The ATC recognizes them as 2000 milers to this day The old man was interviewed and found to be credible. As to the issue with him being unable to recall some of his partners... I was in scouts, and can remember only one fellow scouts name. That's because his dad was the leader. I also have a hard time remembering the names of many of the folks I hiked with only 8 years ago.

As to the 6 days across Maine... I've not seen that. 4 months is not an unreasonable time for young people to do the trail. I did it in 5.5 months with 26 zero days at age 38. Earl did his hike in about 4 months - at a time when much of the trail was obliterated by the newly built BRP.

People apparently don't like this being brought up because it challenges their view of history. But history is often inconvenient.

weary
01-05-2009, 14:10
The ATC recognizes them as 2000 milers to this day The old man was interviewed and found to be credible. As to the issue with him being unable to recall some of his partners... I was in scouts, and can remember only one fellow scouts name. That's because his dad was the leader. I also have a hard time remembering the names of many of the folks I hiked with only 8 years ago.

As to the 6 days across Maine... I've not seen that. 4 months is not an unreasonable time for young people to do the trail. I did it in 5.5 months with 26 zero days at age 38. Earl did his hike in about 4 months - at a time when much of the trail was obliterated by the newly built BRP.

People apparently don't like this being brought up because it challenges their view of history. But history is often inconvenient.
We'll never know for sure. I wasn't impressed by the AT investigator who found the story "credible." Some think ATC persisted in listing the scouts, mostly because it didn't want to criticize its employee, then the editor of Trailway News.

We can say for sure that Earl Shaffer was the first person to report a thru hike to the ATC. The scout issue arose four decades after Earl reported his 1948 hike.

As I remember no mention of the hike could be found in any of the Scout records, nor in any newspaper or magazine of that era. I find the lack of any documentation makes it unlikely that the hike actually happened, at least as the guy remembered it 60 years later.

Weary

Kirby
01-05-2009, 19:54
Thanks everyone.

How about some humorous ones now?

I want to publicly thank Walkin Home for the PM he sent me with some more information.

Kirby

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 20:01
As I remember no mention of the hike could be found in any of the Scout records, nor in any newspaper or magazine of that era.

Weary

ATC is the organization that recognizes 2000 milers, and the scouts are listed. That's good enough for me. It should be good enough for everyone else unless they have direct knowledge that it didn't happen.

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 20:02
Thanks everyone.

I want to publicly thank Walkin Home for the PM he sent me with some more information.

Kirby

Someone walked the trail SOBO with a tuba in 2000. He also ran the Boston marathon with that same tuba. A fall in PA was broken by the tuba. Tubaman credited his instrument with saving his life.

Jim Adams (aka Geek - see above) walked the trail with a cat.

weary
01-05-2009, 20:13
ATC is the organization that recognizes 2000 milers, and the scouts are listed. That's good enough for me. It should be good enough for everyone else unless they have direct knowledge that it didn't happen.
I really don't want to debate the issue, because it is not something we can easily learn the truth about. I just didn't want Kirby to tell his audience that the first thru hikers were six Boy Scouts in 1936 without recognizing that the evidence for that is a bit skimpy.

Weary

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 20:19
I really don't want to debate the issue, because it is not something we can easily learn the truth about. I just didn't want Kirby to tell his audience that the first thru hikers were six Boy Scouts in 1936 without recognizing that the evidence for that is a bit skimpy.

Weary

Fair enough.

weary
01-05-2009, 20:25
Thanks everyone.

Kirby
Well did I tell you about the pretty blonde thru hiker who went into a bar in Virginia, asking to see the manager. The bar tender went over and asked, "can I help in anyway."

"May be, "she said, running her hands through his hair. The bar guy persisted, as did the hiker.

"Yes," she purred, caressing his face and putting her fingers in his mouth. "Just tell the manager the women's toilet has neither toilet paper nor soap."

Weary

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2009, 20:25
The AT is where you'll find the largest collection of ego-driven know-it-all experts in the entire world

Silly me -- and here I thought all along that distinction belonged to Whiteblaze:banana

mikec
01-05-2009, 20:34
I haven't read it yet but this book sounds like it has some good trail facts- Appalachian Trail Names: Origins of Place Name along the AT by David Lillard

FatMan
01-05-2009, 20:44
I haven't read it yet but this book sounds like it has some good trail facts- Appalachian Trail Names: Origins of Place Name along the AT by David LillardInteresting book. And it's Neels Gap in the book.;)

Bulldawg
01-05-2009, 20:47
Interesting book. And it's Neels Gap in the book.;)

Dam editor should be fired!:-?:-?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 20:47
And it's Neels Gap in the book.;)

the author obviouslt didn't do any research

No Belay
01-05-2009, 21:14
the author obviouslt didn't do any research

The author wasn't Obviouslt, it was David Lillard.:D

SawnieRobertson
01-06-2009, 00:35
Kirby, talk about what you are expert about--that is, you, your thoughts/epiphanies/struggles while on the trail, obstacles you had to overcome in order to be out there in the first place. What makes your presentation special is, as I said, you. It was fascinating having a "boy" of fifteen and sixteen asking such basic, sound questions about the hike, not giving up on the idea, following the advice of those who had walked all or large parts of it. This is not what we are used to from your age group, and it is a neat thing. Talk about what you "missed" by spending your time preparing for and doing the hike. Talk about Outward Bound. Didn't you say that you had done a bit of that previously? And your Wilderness shakedown. And Bluebearree. "Facts" are fine to insert occasionally, but they aren't there to hear that. IOW, Kirby, you are a hero. We will listen eagerly.--Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 01:04
how does walking a path make one a hero? :-?

SawnieRobertson
01-06-2009, 01:18

Walking a path does not make one a hero. Being a "hero" is largely in the eyes of the beholder. I'm sure that you are a hero to someone. Take, for instance, TOW. You have been a hero to him at times, I'm sure. Of course, the same person who can be a hero can also be a jerk. Again though, that's largely in the eyes of the beholder. Those who will go to hear Kirby will tend to want what he has because he is at some level a hero to them.--Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 01:22
okay then, he's a blue-blazin hero to me :) i hope he tells his audince about the joys of getting off the beaten and crowded path

Kirby
01-06-2009, 11:13

Morning sunshine, you sure do get up early:cool:.

Kirby

weary
01-06-2009, 11:16
Kirby, talk about what you are expert about--that is, you, your thoughts/epiphanies/struggles while on the trail, obstacles you had to overcome in order to be out there in the first place. What makes your presentation special is, as I said, you. It was fascinating having a "boy" of fifteen and sixteen asking such basic, sound questions about the hike, not giving up on the idea, following the advice of those who had walked all or large parts of it. This is not what we are used to from your age group, and it is a neat thing. Talk about what you "missed" by spending your time preparing for and doing the hike. Talk about Outward Bound. Didn't you say that you had done a bit of that previously? And your Wilderness shakedown. And Bluebearree. "Facts" are fine to insert occasionally, but they aren't there to hear that. IOW, Kirby, you are a hero. We will listen eagerly.--Kinnickinic
Excellent advice.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 11:27
Morning sunshine, you sure do get up early:cool:.

Kirby

hadn't got to bed yet. was on standby for a SAR last nite. got up an hour ago.
mornin' hero! :sun

boarstone
01-06-2009, 12:46
Hey Kirby, how about leaving the facts and figures to those all that know'em and just present YOUR interpertation of YOUR experience from YOUR eyes at the AGE you were when you hiked it? Kinda' like from a younger, fresher looker-on-er..

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 12:47
how does walking a path make one a hero? :-?I never understood the whole trail celebrity thing either.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 13:57
Hey Kirby, how about leaving the facts and figures to those all that know'em and just present YOUR interpertation of YOUR experience from YOUR eyes at the AGE you were when you hiked it? Kinda' like from a younger, fresher looker-on-er..

that's it in a nutshell

Blissful
01-06-2009, 14:15

Good idea. This makes the most sense and is probably what people want to hear rather than facts, figures and other things. They like hearing true life stories. I've done several talks, and people like to hear times when you were in danger, confronted wild beasts (like LW...JUST KIDDING) weather, trail conditons, your mental issues, etc. This is what they like. Also some people trail angel stories -like paying tribute to those that helped you along the way. I know you had many of those.