PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shoes

sleeman13
01-04-2009, 20:05
Does anyone know anything about these shoes -> MERRELL Men's Chameleon Hex. I'm considering buying them for my thru-hike and was wondering whether anyone has has any experiences these shoes.

I also appreciate any suggestions on good low-cut hiking boots.

Thanks.

sleeman13
01-04-2009, 20:06
this is a link to the boots.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442598099&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488340039

Tinker
01-04-2009, 20:17
Buy 'em if they fit like you were born with them. If they don't, look elsewhere. Merrell makes good footwear, in general. Unfortunately, they don't fit me too well. Describe your feet and you'll get a good list from other hikers of what might work for you. My feet are shaped like Donald Duck's - wide forefoot, narrow heel, flat as a pancake and they stretch after about 3 days out. I use orthotics by Superfeet or good ones which come with shoes that fit well. Currently, I'm in love with Keen products, though different models fit differently, even if they're the same size (number-wise). I've also liked Chacos (though the volume is too high for my flat feet), Columbias (yes, they're not so bad), and Salomon shoes (though my feet changed and I can't use them any more). I just bought a pair of Asics trail runners, size 12, even though the Brannock device measures my feet to be 10.5-11.
Fit is probably 90%+ in my book.
My feet are so strange I resorted to buying custom made Limmers in the 1990s.

Highway Man
01-04-2009, 22:42
I happened to have tried two of the shoes mentioned in this thread. I finally bought a pair of Vasque Mantra, non-goretexed from REI.

I summerized it as my personal experience, mostly visually, as follows. Keen's voyegeur is roomy, upper materials are good, but the out sole seems to be numb and non-Vibram; Merrel's C. Hex has good upper materials, and out sole is made of Vibram. But the top cuff or front section is too wide, dosen't hold my feet well. And the shoelace is the drawstring typed, loose and hard to untie; Vasque Mantra, non-goretexed, has leather around with sufficient meshes on the top, narrow to hold feet well, out sole is Vibram with serious traction capability. After having worn the first pair for two weeks, I decided to get another pair for my thru this year.

Tinker
01-04-2009, 22:57
You can't see them here ,http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28611, but I climbed Katahdin (did last 20 miles of the "wilderness", too) in Keen Newports - that's right, the sandal. Got great traction on the bare rock, wet or dry, and more than enough on the muddy trail. I wore Sealskinz under them. A little sweaty, but they dried right out when I took them off and turned them inside out. My other Keen shoes (might have been Voyageurs) had leather/mesh uppers. The leather stretched out during my hike and I couldn't wear them because they would twist around my feet on sidehills.
I'm only posting this to say that it's amazing what one finds out when the "best laid plans" fall flat on their collective face. I only brought the sandals for stream crossing, but they proved to be a very good hiker.

dandares22
08-29-2009, 00:40
Shoes with membrane are worth buying when you plan use them in high humidity, wet conditions. At this case Gore-tex membrane will perform as it was intended, only when there is much temperature difference inside and outside the shoes or boots. So shoes with membrane work perfect in cold and especially wet conditions. In hot climate conditions boots with membrane will works against you.

You can try tish one Merrell Moab Ventilator (http://best-hiking-shoes.com/#Merrell_Moab) non Gore-tex version

http://best-hiking-shoes.com/img/moab1.jpg

Summit
08-29-2009, 08:58
I second the Moab Ventilator. I tried a similar Chameleon and the problem for me was the combination of stretchy material and stretchy laces. Nothing you can do will keep the foot locked back against the heel . . . my toes got jammed into the foot box on steep downhills causing a painful blood blister under one big toe, and I eventually lost the toenail. I will never go with stetchy material in a shoe for backpacking again. They were fine for everyday use and walking in the 'hood.

Tinker
08-29-2009, 09:09
Does anyone know anything about these shoes -> MERRELL Men's Chameleon Hex. I'm considering buying them for my thru-hike and was wondering whether anyone has has any experiences these shoes.

I also appreciate any suggestions on good low-cut hiking boots.

Thanks.

Two generalizations I make on footwear:

1) If it doesn't fit, don't buy it - I don't care if it has all the latest bells and whistles - start there. Even within shoe lines I've found that different models feel completely different on my feet (I've done a LOT of shopping).
2) If it isn't at least moderately durable, don't buy it.

I'm thinking right now that you've already tried the shoes on, so point #1 is probably taken care of.

My most recent discovery is Asics TN8E4, which I purchased at the Sports Authority, of all places. I just bought my second pair. My first has seen two 30 mile winter hikes, some day hikes, and every day use standing on my feet since last December. They are pretty durable. The sole is only about 3/4 worn but it's all on the outside so it throws my knee alignment off.
Fwiw, Merrell has a good reputation as a brand. The Chameleons dont fit me worth a darn.
Another thing - if a shoe feels good but not perfect, try the next 1/2 or even full size up. Since I wear orthotics most shoes for my official size 10.5 foot have to be purchased in size 11.5-12!
Happy hunting.

JJJ
08-29-2009, 09:57
.... I only brought the sandals for stream crossing, but they proved to be a very good hiker.

I did the Roan Mt to McQueens Knob (10 s of DAM) section wearing mostly the Merrell Migration (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/ViewProduct.mvc.aspx/15143M/0/Mens/Migration?galleryId=M-F) sandal.
They seemed fine. Lightwieght, good feel for the terrain.
jjj

MkBibble
08-29-2009, 11:23
I tried the Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boots. I really liked the light weight and ventilation. They felt great in the store, but after about 10 miles they started hurting my toes. I tried several sizes before I finally gave up. Went back to REI and tried on almost every similar boot there (including some that were much more expensive) before I ended up with Keen Voyageur Mid Hiking Boots. They fit my feet well and have plenty of room for my toes. I've been wearing them all day for almost a week now. Hope to try them out on a short hike Sunday.

Just like so many others have said already on WB. Everybody's foot is different and put some miles on your boots before you hit the trail.