PDA

View Full Version : Your fav headlamp

Blissful
01-04-2009, 20:25
Since my second Aurora headlamp has bit the dust from the cover breaking, I'd like to get something new and more durable. Suggestions for a lightweight headlamp, not too pricey please, long lasting light that takes AAA's and that you really like. Thanks

Tinker
01-04-2009, 20:32
http://www.topratedadventures.com/Mfg/CyclopsSolutions.htm
Scroll down ($14.95). This is my summer light. Batteries are good for about 12 hrs.
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CL%20F425&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FRCL%20F425&bhcd2=1231115236
I like this one in winter with lithium batteries - longer lasting, brighter light.
In either case, I have a Photon on my keyring at all times if one of these fails.
Btw, Princeton Tec lights are all waterproof. The Cyclops appears to be, too. It has a gasket where the lens screws onto the body that holds the batteries.

Marta
01-04-2009, 20:55
I'm still using the Petzl Tikka Plus I bought a couple of years ago. It has gotten wet, cold, and everything else. Still works fine.

We bought a new headlamp for my husband recently. The display at REI had a bewildering variety, and gave all sorts of info about lumens and battery life under different conditions. They probably have that info on their website, too. He chose a Princeton Tec Fuel. It's quite bright and, so far, has shown a decent battery life.

Shroomism
01-04-2009, 21:11
I use a Petzl Tactikka, I think I paid 30 bucks for it last year. Nice headlamp, plenty of light, long battery life, simple, pretty water-resistant.. I like it.

solo29
01-04-2009, 21:11
petz tikka plus has 4 setting the lowest is great for reading

TomWc
01-04-2009, 21:14
princeton tec quad is the first one I got and I still have it. I can't see any reason to replace it or found one that caused my eye to stray. The screw in hinged battery compartment and big positive squishy button are key. It's water resistant too.

I have a photon on a lanyard hanging on my pack drawstring as a backup and for easy access when rummaging in the pack..

Rcarver
01-04-2009, 21:31
I really like the Blackdiamond Spot.

mudcap
01-04-2009, 21:51
Another vote for the Tikka Plus. Great lamp in my opinion.

bigcranky
01-04-2009, 21:55
Zipka Plus. 4-LEDs, 3 output settings (plus blinking), bright enough to night hike, weighs less than 3 oz with batteries.

I like the thin internal headband thingy over the large elastic band of the Tikka. More versatile, and packs smaller. It can get caught in long hair if one isn't careful, though.

Johnny Swank
01-04-2009, 22:01
Another Tikka Plus user here. I've got my original Tikka floating around here too. Haven't killed either one of them despite 100's of hours of use.

adventurousmtnlvr
01-04-2009, 23:35
I realize you said AAA capability ... but for me those were too heavy (although easier to acquire batteries along the way). I'm using a Petzl e+LITE which takes easy to find button batteries and has a waterproof case ... not that I need it unless it's on the outside of my jacket in the rain, lol.

big_muddy
01-04-2009, 23:45
I really like the Princeton Tec Fuel, if my aurora ever breaks that's the one I"ll get

Cool AT Breeze
01-04-2009, 23:56
Princtontec Eos for me. Best if used for night hiking. I also have a fuel.

KG4FAM
01-05-2009, 00:16
Tactikka - I like a red light for reading and not being annoying when camping with others. I like the e+lite myself, but doesn't meet your battery specification

Ranc0r
01-05-2009, 00:39
Petzl TacTikka, since you said AAA.

Petzl E+lite is my new favorite light. I've got 2 now. :cool:

Blue Wolf
01-05-2009, 00:50
Petzl Tac-Tikka and the Petzle Zipka hands down I like my Tac-Tikka because a red filter is just a flip of the cover.

Crawl
01-05-2009, 01:57
Have two...The Black Diamond Spot.... has two modes, long distance spot or three light reader.....the other, Princeton Fuel, extremely lite and bright....use The Spot the most, Fuel is my back up!

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2009, 02:12
Petzl Tikka XP in winter, E+ light in summer.

Worldwide
01-05-2009, 04:02
Best headlamp.... depends whether you like to use rechargeable batteries or lithium. Sounds nit picky, but I have found performance varies between the two types. I have an aversion to just throwing out batteries. So my headlamp needs to perform well with rechargeable's. Just something to keep in mind.

Downhill Trucker
01-05-2009, 05:42
Tikka user here... bombproof, light, cheap, doesn't switch on in your pack (huge!), and dims for a few hours when battery life is fading.

Add lithium triple a's if u wanna go high tech. The only problem is not getting them mixed up cause we all use the same great headlamp.

Hokie
01-05-2009, 06:21
Princeton Tec EOS - $39 -3 AAAs - 6X brightness of Aurora according to Backpacking light review 3/07 - good for winter - pencil beam trail use but weighs 3.8oz with batteries. I like Petzel-E but did have one go bad on me with poor connections when you switch to different modes so I have wondered about its durability. Use Photon Freedom in camp mostly.

Frog
01-05-2009, 07:10
If you are just looking for a cheap one i have found several different ones under $10.oo at the checkout line at a Lowes hardwear store. Not the most comfy but work really well and the one i bought just to try has five lights. two red 3 white

bloodmountainman
01-05-2009, 07:24
My favorite headlamp is a 7 year old Petzal. Lost it a couple weeks back on Kelly Knob.

Yukon
01-05-2009, 10:18

Me too...

hopefulhiker
01-05-2009, 10:32
I used something called a Cat light, clipped on the baseball cap,about $10, was really light but not very bright.

rampli
01-05-2009, 11:09
I've got a Princeton (not sure which model) and find that the light illuminates the lens in my eyeglasses when pointed down for task work. This does not help with night vision!

Any suggestions for eyeglass wearers?

Ramble~On
01-05-2009, 11:20
Walmart - Energizer, AAA, Durable, inexpensive, lasts long, Has Red Lens.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-lights/Pages/batteries-lantern-headlamp.aspx

It does everything my Petzl does except the Energizer has four settings and 6 LED's 2 of which are red. It's about the same size and weight, uses 3 AAA's and it lasts as long. So, $10.00 for one of these or $25.00 or more for one of those.

I borrowed one of these(permanently) (Thanks Susan!) http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/outdoor-lights/Pages/batteries-lantern-headlamp.aspx It's heavier, beefier and very, very bright.

Tinker
01-05-2009, 11:41
Princeton Tec EOS - $39 -3 AAAs - 6X brightness of Aurora according to Backpacking light review 3/07 - good for winter - pencil beam trail use but weighs 3.8oz with batteries. I like Petzel-E but did have one go bad on me with poor connections when you switch to different modes so I have wondered about its durability. Use Photon Freedom in camp mostly.
The Petzel E's switch looked a little fragile to me and I have a similar lamp (but with only one light setting), so I passed it by.

ARambler
01-05-2009, 11:56

I'm getting the new Spot. It looks like the new led puts out a strong narrow beam, and it's rated slightly lighter than my EOS.

Does anyone use lithium batteries in the new Spot? It is unregulated, and I wonder how dangerious lithiums are.
Rambler

Rcarver
01-05-2009, 12:55
I've always just use energizers. They last a pretty long time. It's pretty bright for it's weight. The new Mammut looks like it would be brighter, but it's twice the weight and price. It would take something radical to make me give up my Spot.

ScottP
01-05-2009, 13:06
http://www.nightskyinfo.com/sky_highlights/hunters_moon/full_moon_small.jpg

mudhead
01-05-2009, 13:26
I've got a Princeton (not sure which model) and find that the light illuminates the lens in my eyeglasses when pointed down for task work. This does not help with night vision!

I use the red leds on a $15 Wmart job for night. Someday I will try one with the lip under the bulbs.

If you find a way to not light up the lenses on bifocals, let me know.

BR360
01-05-2009, 14:37
Mudhead, consider wearing the headlamp around your neck. It will keep the ambient light from refracting through your bifocals. You may need to turn it upside down, so that the lens points more in the direction you want.

This is how I use my headlamp (Petzl Tikka XP) most of the time, unless I am running on trails. It also is more comfortable.

I like the diffusion filter on the Tikka XP, but wish there were a red LED in there.

So I got a small red LED that I attach to my lapel in camp, or my chest strap if I am hiking.

Notice that I also have the Petzl e-Lite, which is GREAT! My favorite summer light.

Also (being a light-geek) I also just purchased an energizer headlamp at Target that uses 2 of the lithium CR 2032 button batteries. It was only $4.95. Only has one setting (either ON or OFF, so maybe technically, it has 2 settings).

But it is really small and will be a good light to forget about (until I need it) for my fly-fishing vest

BR360
01-05-2009, 14:49
Try again attaching the picture, after downsizing it to be compliant with WB pipeline:

BrianLe
01-05-2009, 15:15
The original request was for something durable, lightweight, not too pricey, takes AAA's, that users really like, and is "long lasting". The latter is a bit ambiguous, not sure if that's another way of mentioning durability, or if it's about battery life.

Anyway, IMO the selection of best headlamp is dependant on how and how often a person expects to use it. Do you night hike often? Do you ever anticipate night hiking? (either intentionally or not) If so, then perhaps you want a more powerful, but also likely a larger and heavier light.

I almost never night hike, and if I ever do I'm willing to get by with something that's really too weenie to be optimal, so I what I try to optimize is weight, certainly durability is a factor, as is price and battery type. Thru-hiking the PCT this year I was very happy with the Petzl e+lite, http://www.rei.com/product/749039. If you're really concerned about durability, it comes in a little plastic case, but I discarded that and just carried it in a snack sized ziplock bag inside a stuff sack with various stuff in it, and it held up great. I like the fact that it offers both red and white light; the former is nice in those cases where you would just as soon preserve your night vision, or perhaps be less disturbing to folks sleeping near you.

The batteries are normally not cheap, but I bought a bunch of them at once via some web site and saved quite a bit that way; just put a new pair into every Nth resupply box and had no problem.

shelterbuilder
01-05-2009, 22:00

I bought a cheapy Brinkmann at Lowe's - AAA batteries, and it, too, lit up my glasses , UNTIL I wrapped around the lens-head with black electrical tape. Now, the light only comes out of the front of the lenses and doesn't light up my eyeglasses unless I turn the lens-head all the way down toward the glasses.

Gaiter
01-05-2009, 22:03
walmart $13 headlamp.... wonder has the same one as me, her's was run over by a car and still works

Captain
01-05-2009, 22:07
http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=HDL33A2E%20D28816&source=fr

that was just in a display by the register in walmart , was picking up hand/toe warmers then remembered i needed a headlamp...14 bucks and another check off the gear list..i love it

g8trh8tr
01-05-2009, 22:19
I like the diffusion filter on the Tikka XP, but wish there were a red LED in there.

I use the Tikka XP also. I also like the diffuser and wanted an option for a red light so I used a permanent red marker and colored the diffuser so I have a 2 in 1 lamp which is more versatlile.

Wags
01-05-2009, 22:54
lol awesome g8t! i have a zipka plus that i really like but wished it had red lens as well. not only for night vision but for bugs

theinfamousj
01-06-2009, 00:54
Was in Walmart and I picked up a child's headlamp in green. It was a Rayovac brand. It has a single light and takes (IIRC) button batteries. But man oh man is it ever comfortable. Lightweight and just enough light to be useful without being annoying to those around me. And you can swivel the beam from pointing directly up at the sky to pointing directly down at your feet and everywhere in between. And if you take it off, it has a clip on it so you can clip it to things (say in your tent to turn it in to a dome light).

I saw some there this past summer. Comes in highlighter green, highlighter pink, and some other colors, too.

Cost me $4.

My google-fu has turned them up for $8 on Amazon. Well worth the money if you are someone who experiences pain from a heavier light (say one with 3 AAA batteries) on your forehead.

http://www.amazon.com/RAYOVAC-CORPORATION-ADHLLED-B-HEADLIGHT-KIDS/dp/B000VKAJLY

DBT fan
01-06-2009, 01:34
I bought a cheapy Brinkmann at Lowe's - AAA batteries, and it, too, lit up my glasses , UNTIL I wrapped around the lens-head with black electrical tape. Now, the light only comes out of the front of the lenses and doesn't light up my eyeglasses unless I turn the lens-head all the way down toward the glasses.

Thanks shelterbuilder, wrapping the lens head with electrical tape (or maybe a small strip duct tape) to cut down on reflective glare is a good idea for eyeglasses wearers. Much cheaper than Lasik and more expedient than contacts.

snaplok
01-06-2009, 02:52
I'm a fan of the Princeton Tec Fuel, got it on sale a year back, bright but not bad enough to blind someone, plus the strobe on it reminds me of discos.:banana

mudhead
01-06-2009, 09:20
Thanks for the eyeglass ideas.

flemdawg1
01-06-2009, 12:20
I have the Energizer one referred to above, it's not very bright at all. It also has a weird light color, that doesn't really give it a good range. Can't see more than 5 ft wearing it.

flemdawg1
01-06-2009, 12:21
I bought the Rayovac kiddie lamps described by infamousJ and they are pretty good. I got mine on clearance for 99 cents at Walmart back in the fall.

Captain
01-06-2009, 12:24
I have the Energizer one referred to above, it's not very bright at all. It also has a weird light color, that doesn't really give it a good range. Can't see more than 5 ft wearing it.

are you referring to the simple 2 LED one the one i have is a 6 LED lamp with 4 settings low, medium, bright and red, seems pretty bright enough for me

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 12:33
I have the Energizer one referred to above, it's not very bright at all. It also has a weird light color, that doesn't really give it a good range. Can't see more than 5 ft wearing it.Good, you don't need to light up the whole mountain range and kill everyone's night vision anyway. I have night hiked with a single LED that puts out about that much and had no problems.

BR360
01-06-2009, 13:11

I use the Tikka XP also. I also like the diffuser and wanted an option for a red light so I used a permanent red marker and colored the diffuser so I have a 2 in 1 lamp which is more versatlile.

Great Idea! Thanks!!:sun

YoungMoose
01-06-2009, 17:07
Another vote for the Tikka Plus

flemdawg1
01-06-2009, 17:16
are you referring to the simple 2 LED one the one i have is a 6 LED lamp with 4 settings low, medium, bright and red, seems pretty bright enough for me
Yep mine is the cheaper 2 LED white, 1 red model. The red mode actually works better than the white.

Gumbi
01-06-2009, 18:09
I have a Princeton Tec Quad, which I am pretty happy with. I chose it over a Petzl for two reasons.
1. Waterproof to 1meter. The Petzl is not waterproof.
2. The quad is regulated, which means that I can use Lithium batteries in it. Lithiums hold up better than alkaline in the cold weather, last longer than alkaline, and are lighter than alkaline, too. The Petzl is not regulated, and they warn the user NOT to use lithium batteries.

Mercy
01-06-2009, 19:52
I use a Princeton Tec Fuel. I paid about $20. 3AAA, 3 settings plus a strobe, pretty good battery life. Its the only one I've ever had, so can't compare it to others, but, I like mine.

LIhikers
01-08-2009, 23:15
Princeton Tec Quad.
The battery case has a real hinge and is held closed with a small screw.

flemdawg1
01-12-2009, 21:05
Note to the OP: The Aurora is covered under a lifetime warranty. Just thought I'd let ya know before you trash it.

flow
01-12-2009, 21:26
Photon X- with velcoro dot on it, and a velcro dot on my hats.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/photon_light_x_micro_led_single.html

bkrownd
01-13-2009, 14:07
Zipka.

Kanati
01-13-2009, 17:40
If you're on a tight budget or just don't want to spend more than you have to, Wal-Mart has a two position led with white or red lens for about $10.00. I used one last year and didn't have a problem, and got good battery life. It takes 3 AAA's. Each morning I took the batteries out because once the switch came on by accident and drained them. After that I simply removed the batteries.

Happy hiking. :sun

Gumbi
01-13-2009, 18:21
If you're on a tight budget or just don't want to spend more than you have to, Wal-Mart has a two position led with white or red lens for about $10.00. I used one last year and didn't have a problem, and got good battery life. It takes 3 AAA's. Each morning I took the batteries out because once the switch came on by accident and drained them. After that I simply removed the batteries.

Happy hiking. :sun

I had one of those, but it broke at the hinge. I was only slightly disappointed because I was looking for a reason to upgrade anyway. But I really did appreciate the red LED (something my Quad doesn't have).

You get what you pay for.

Kanati
01-13-2009, 23:34
Gumbi, so true. You get what you pay for. The battery cover latch broke on mine and I had to use a rubber band to hold it on.

Viewed your gallery. Nice pack. Like that camo pattern. How much does it weigh?

Are you ex-military?

Cool AT Breeze
01-14-2009, 00:07
I have a Princeton Tec Quad, which I am pretty happy with. I chose it over a Petzl for two reasons.
1. Waterproof to 1meter. The Petzl is not waterproof.
2. The quad is regulated, which means that I can use Lithium batteries in it. Lithiums hold up better than alkaline in the cold weather, last longer than alkaline, and are lighter than alkaline, too. The Petzl is not regulated, and they warn the user NOT to use lithium batteries.
The lithiums work better in the cold but they don't last as long in a light or powering a motor. Only in electronics.

Gumbi
01-14-2009, 10:50
The lithiums work better in the cold but they don't last as long in a light or powering a motor. Only in electronics.

Not true. Look at the professional grade cordless powertools, they are moving to lithium rechargeable batteries for the extra run time and power.

Besides, an LED light is electronics. It is a diode that emits light.:D

Gumbi
01-14-2009, 11:08
Gumbi, so true. You get what you pay for. The battery cover latch broke on mine and I had to use a rubber band to hold it on.

Viewed your gallery. Nice pack. Like that camo pattern. How much does it weigh?

Are you ex-military?

No, I am not ex-military. The military would never want me.:) (I have asthma).

I haven't weighed my pack, I don't have a scale that will accurately tell me how many ounces, but I would guesstimate it to be around 2 1/2 pounds

Here is the thread of how I made the pack: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42877

Cool AT Breeze
01-14-2009, 12:40
Not true. Look at the professional grade cordless powertools, they are moving to lithium rechargeable batteries for the extra run time and power.

Besides, an LED light is electronics. It is a diode that emits light.:D
Look at the paper work that came with your light. Lithiums get about half the burn time.

Gumbi
01-14-2009, 14:35
Look at the paper work that came with your light. Lithiums get about half the burn time.

You are right. (mostly):( Lithiums will stay at full brightness for longer, and then after that, they dim fast. Alkalines gradually fade, thus lasting longer than the lithium batteries.

Cool AT Breeze
01-14-2009, 22:48
I saw that the brightness stayed even through the life of the battery with lithiums, and they do better in the cold.

Pootz
01-14-2009, 23:06
black diamond cosmo. 2.8 onces with batteries. Plenty of light without blinding every around you. It even has a built in shut off after 2 hours if you forget to turn it off, or somehow it gets turned on in your pack. I carried one during my thru hike and never had a problem, I am still using it. Get a bright colored one so you can find it in your pack.

RockDoc
01-14-2009, 23:49
Another vote for Black Diamond Spot.Great variability: PLENTY of light to hike in the dark, or just enough to read. Reasonably light, comfortable, very long lasting power.Tried half a dozen others, but not so happy as with Spot.