PDA

View Full Version : getting past discouragement

Stabes
04-18-2004, 13:34
Hi, I am planning for 2005 and understand that the most challenging aspect of the hike is mental. So I was wondering if some of you veteran thru hikers could tell me of your most discouraging moments and how you got past them?

Footslogger
04-18-2004, 14:34
Well Stabes ...for me the low parts started early. I hiked about 3/4 of the trail with fairly serious kidney stone disease (diagnosed after my hike). I was discouraged because I didn't have the energy at times to cover the miles I knew I was capable of hiking in a day.

What helped me the most to keep on trucking was to think about how fortunate I was to be "out there". When you're hiking the AT there are, at times, several hikers around you so it can seem as if it's something that lots of people do. But the truth is that very few people ever even dream of, much less follow though and hike the entire trail. No matter how bad the pain and discomfort were I was always able to focus on how lucky I was to have the support necessary to pull off a thru-hike.

I always knew that I had it in me to complete the hike but I rarely spent much time thinking or talking about Katahdin ...until, of course it was within my grasp. It's easy to enjoy hiking when the sun is out and the breeze is cool. Take each day one at a time and find a way to take pleasure from the experience, regardless of how lousy the weather is or how tired/sore your feet are. The miles will come ...and before you know it the prize will be yours.

All the best on your hike ...

'Slogger

max patch
04-18-2004, 16:34
Hi, I am planning for 2005 and understand that the most challenging aspect of the hike is mental.

I don't agree with that statement.

May be true for some; for others the physical challenges would certainly be greater. For me the toughest part of the hike was coming up with the time off necessary to do it.

Peaks
04-18-2004, 18:41
How do you get past the discouraging times?

Well, I don't think that I had too many. Certainly keeping a good attitude helps.
Other tips? Be flexible. If, for example, the shelter is full, then be prepared to go elsewhere. Be an optomist.

Other tips? Be prepared. Have a plan. Have a goal. Set a goal for every day.

Listen to your body, and keep it fed. I suspect that the reason why many people drop off, especially in the second half, is that they just plain get run down from not eating well enough. If you don't have the energy needed, then it effects your attitude.

rickb
04-18-2004, 19:08
Good question!

To my way of thinking, this should be required reading for any prospective thru hiker:

http://www.aldhawest.org/perspective/THP_1.htm

It was written several years ago, then reprinted as a series in last years Appalachian Trailway News.

Rick B

SGT Rock
04-18-2004, 20:55
I haven't thru-hiked yet, but I have done some long hikes and some long deployments. As long as I have something to think about and stay busy, things go well. This doesn't mean that I can't relax and or have a good time.

The worst part of most hikes or deployments for me is separation from my wife and kids. Having a good home relationship and maintaining consistant contact with them definately help, but there have been some low points.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2004, 21:54
Think about the young men being killed and wounded every day in Iraq. Any depression about walking a hiking trail will be put in perspective. The AT is so unimportant.

hungryhowie
04-18-2004, 22:37
I think that this is one of those roads that you cross when you get there. I became depressed or discouraged very few times on my thru-hike but each situation was unique. One time that I felt discouraged and considered quitting I forced myself to continue hiking. I knew that I would either begin feeling better soon, or I'd get off of the trail. Never quit spontaniously! Another time that I was down I went into town and got a room by myself. I treated myself to a nice hot meal and some phone time with my friends and family who offered words of encouragment.

It also definately helps to consider the alternatives...sitting in a cube at work looking outside at the beautiful weather through a window down the hall...

People go to the trail in search of different things. Some people find what they seek and leave, others wander onward. To some, answers don't come and they leave the trail seeking answers elsewhere, while others still wander onward ever searching.

Keep it in perspective. Always give yourself time to re-assess a decision to leave the trail. Listen to your friends and family. Listen to your body. Listen to your mind. Listen to your soul.

Good luck,

-Howie

The Scribe
04-18-2004, 23:03
Good question!

To my way of thinking, this should be required reading for any prospective thru hiker:

http://www.aldhawest.org/perspective/THP_1.htm

It was written several years ago, then reprinted as a series in last years Appalachian Trailway News.

Rick B
Rick, thank you for posting Jim Owen's link. Fascinating reading.

Doctari
04-19-2004, 05:43
I'm just a section hiker but so far my "discouragement" has been homesickness. After comparing notes on the last few times it has hit me hardest I find that the root cause has been me getting overtired. The causes for this are varried, but last trip I: ate too little, rested too little, pushed to hard too early. After I got home & rested, I could see this. Was unable to see it while it was happening. My lesson was to take a day off, or a low miles day next time I get depressed or homesick or whatever mental or phisical problem I am having.
Last trip, I was at a great shelter mid "attack" and instead of stopping I pushed on, about 2 hours later, I crossed a road just as a car was passing, I got off trail 5 days early & hitched back to my car. No regrets really, I missed my wife so bad I would have been miserable that 5 days, but possibly if I had stopped & could have finished my hike :-?

My guess is that my experience is typical. Too many of us take too few breaks. I almost never take a POBOB (Pack Off Boots Off Break) even tho I know it helps. And I swear next trip: at least 2 POBOBs a day. (March or April 2005 3 week or more trip)

Doctari.

Grampie
04-19-2004, 09:21
You have asked a good question. Many thru-hikers face discouragement, sooner or later.
What worked for me was to think of all the folks who thru-hiked befor me. Some were older, some were not in as good as shape as I was, some hiked with handicaps and a lot of them didn't have the modern equipment that I had. They still hiked the whole trail and if they could I was sure that I could make it.
Keep thinking about the positive and the negitive will soon vanish.
Happy trails. :sun

chris
04-19-2004, 09:40
When I thruhiked the PCT in 2003, I didn't have a single moment of ever wanting to leave the trail. I was more than 1500 miles into the hike before I thought, "Why am I doing this, this is so stupid," etc, etc. Alot of that had to do with how I approached the hike and the terrain that the PCT passes through. Mentally, I was ready to hike when I left in May: There was nothing else I wanted to do more than spend 3.5 months in the wilderness. I didn't care too much about getting to Canada, I just wanted the time out there. Of course, it helps that it doesn't rain much on the PCT (1 day of actual precip, about 2 hours of other stuff), it isn't humid at all, and it traverses the best scenery in America (the CDT people might fart at this).

On my AT section hike in 2002, I did face some downtime. I got shin splints and it was god damn cold north of Hot Springs. Little to see, and when I got to open areas it was fogged in. Every step downhill was painful, and I thought, briefly, about hopping off in Erwin. But, it was only for an afternoon or so. I got to Erwin and had a great half day off at Uncle Johnny's. I left and never thought about getting off, even though the shin splints were still painful.

One thing that really helped with the PCT was a lack of structure. Put as little structure on your hike as possible and just let yourself react to situations as they come up. Don't try to control everything. For example, use the Companion and Jack Tarlin's article to figure out where to get food, and definitely buy as you go. If you do want to send yourself a mail drop, send it from the trail. Put together a bounce box with maps, etc. Get some basic gear together (nothing fancy). Your AT planning is done. The rest will work itself out.

Jaybird
04-19-2004, 11:21
Hi, I am planning for 2005 and understand that the most challenging aspect of the hike is mental. So I was wondering if some of you veteran thru hikers could tell me of your most discouraging moments and how you got past them?

Stabes:

I am a Section-hiker & have been on several long hikes....
but, have had some discouraging moments when my knees started to fail me...& ache like HELL!

Needless to say...this situation was beating me down mentally.

The only way to get past this situation is to slow down, take your time (hike your own hike) rest often, & take it easy on those downhills. (at nighttime...i icepacked the knees to keep the swelling down) At one point...i had to make a decision to leave the trail or continue on.....i continued on....& (following the above advice)...kept to a slower pace...took my time & made it to my section "finish line" just a couple hours later than my fellow hikers. :D

if you'd like a story of TRUE ENCOURAGEMENT...ck out:
www.OneLegWonder.com/page2.html (http://www.onelegwonder.com/page2.html)

Grimace
04-19-2004, 13:00
I think you seriously need to evaluate why you're going to hike the AT. You also need to seriously evaluate why you are hiking the AT when you're hiking it.

If your purpose is to go for an adventure or to reach epiphany or to discover something, then there should be no mental toughness issues. When you feel you've had your adventure reached an epiphany etc etc, you can leave. I'm sure there a countless people who did NOT hike all 2000 miles who feel that their hike was a total success. I'm sure there are also tons of people who did hike all 2000 and feel unfulfilled.

If your main purpose is to hike the whole thing, to get to the end, then you should expect some tings along the way to get you down. Weather, injury, money, comraderie, homesickness, etc. As Lone Wolf said, you're hiking the AT, not saving the world. If one of the above is too much for you, then there is no shame in calling it quits.

IMHO, you should be out there having fun. If all fun ceases from your trip, then you're doing no one any favors by being out there.

Colter
04-20-2004, 12:22
Hi, I am planning for 2005 and understand that the most challenging aspect of the hike is mental.

I think there is very little room for serious argument that the most common causes for giving up a thru-hike are mental in nature. Sure, there are plenty of folks who have serious knee blow-outs, or other serious physical problems, but there are a whole lot more who simply aren't having fun and decide to hang it up.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people who begin a thru-hike could finish it if they could somehow maintain the right mental attitude.

There wasn't one moment where I seriously considered quitting my thru-hike. I like the physical and mental challenges of a long hike, and believe me, with my friends, it was simply unthinkable to come home without completing my hike!

clyde
04-20-2004, 13:10
stabes...

just from my own hike:

-just have fun. you're hiking. it's fun.

-take any 'schedule' you've devised before you set out on your hike (i.e. i will do 'X' miles the first day, 'Y' the next, etc..) ...and burn it the first night. dance around the fire.

-start slow. let blisters heal, ankles rest, and hardcores go by you. it takes time to get your trail legs under you...you can make up time/mileage later. trust me. enjoy the scenery.

-meet up with fellow thru-hikers for fun/support early, but in the end, as others have said, "hike your own hike". you're more free and flexible that way.

-concede that there will be bad days. usually these will involve rain, snow, sleet, wind, falling in mud, mice eating all your food, etc... remeber that these bad days will probably end up being the best stories and greatest memories you take away from your trip.

-if you get really discouraged.......sleep on it. rash decisions are usually just that. sometimes it just takes a nice sunrise at goddard shelter to get your state of mind righted.

-in the end, be honest with yourself. if you end up hating things....there's no reason to live that way. go home.

TankHiker
04-20-2004, 15:04
There were a couple things that kept me going:

- Short-term vision. I never expected to hike to Katahdin, so I enjoyed my whole hike, not just the destination. Unfortunately, the trail ran out before I did. :)

- Friends. I met a lot of great people on the trail. I had a lot of respect and admiration for them. Not only did I want to be with them, but I also strived for the same energy that they had.

- Challenge. I liked the challenge. As I said, I never planned on hiking the whole way, so every mile was one more on my list. I thought it was pretty cool that I had hiked 300, 500, 1000, etc. miles.

- Curiosity. I had hiked past millions of trees and rocks, but I always wondered what would be around the next corner. Statistically, the longer you hike, the more adventures you will find along the way.

Good luck! Thru-hike or not, just have fun!

-Tank

Stabes
04-20-2004, 19:15
Thanks for all the great advice! I particularily liked the link to John Owens post. I though that it was fantastic reading. Right now, I can't imagine anything pulling me off the trail, but I know that that is easy to say while sitting at my desk with many months and many miles between myself and the trail. Sometimes I find it difficult to think about anything else and all I think about it is how much I am going to love it, but I want to be realistic and know that there are going to be rough times and I hear about it being cold, wet, painful etc, but those things always seem to be over shadowed by the good things, the companionship, the freedom, the nature etc. I think hearing about the more challenging aspects of the trail and how other people faced them will better mentally prepare me for what I will soon (not soon enough) be facing. Thanks again.

Heather

Photofanatic
05-24-2004, 19:52

eyahiker
05-25-2004, 21:37
I think it's great that you are home for your daughter! I can understand that it might make you discouraged, but hang in there - you have a lot to look forward to, like finishing your TH, when you can, in your own time:)

DMA, 2000
07-10-2004, 16:30
Remember what the choice is...getting a job. You'll do it eventually, do you really want to do it now?

Take care of your personal business before you leave. Got a girlfriend back home? Lose her before you start. Though it's not always possible, eliminate these sorts of distractions so you're not having to do so by phone from town.

Hammock Hanger
07-10-2004, 17:13
. Got a girlfriend back home? Lose her before you start. .

Ouch! That was harsh. -- A lot of hikers manage to enjoy and complete their hikes with partners back home.

Sue/HH

rumbler
07-10-2004, 18:26
A cold beer in a trail town always perked me right up.

Pooja Blue
07-10-2004, 20:18
I think the most discouraging thing for me so far has been discovering I'm a really slow hiker compared to most thruhikers. The wonderful people I meet I don't get to see for very long, they whiz right past me. I spend much more of the daylight hiking than most so I have less time to socialize at the end of the day, or to linger at breaks and views. That's tough, but it really does help to focus on hiking my own hike - I have to go at the pace that's right for me. It also helps to have a small radio to listen to during my long days to keep me company.

Blue Jay
07-11-2004, 07:25
Remember what the choice is...getting a job. You'll do it eventually, do you really want to do it now?

Take care of your personal business before you leave. Got a girlfriend back home? Lose her before you start. Though it's not always possible, eliminate these sorts of distractions so you're not having to do so by phone from town.

Yes this is harsh, but very good advise. People at home working often find very creative ways to drag you back.

MOWGLI
07-11-2004, 09:04
I think the most discouraging thing for me so far has been discovering I'm a really slow hiker compared to most thruhikers. The wonderful people I meet I don't get to see for very long, they whiz right past me. I spend much more of the daylight hiking than most so I have less time to socialize at the end of the day, or to linger at breaks and views. That's tough, but it really does help to focus on hiking my own hike - I have to go at the pace that's right for me. It also helps to have a small radio to listen to during my long days to keep me company.

Pooja Blue,

How is your hike going? How far along are you?

Little Bear

Jaybird
07-11-2004, 09:11
I think the most discouraging thing for me so far has been discovering I'm a really slow hiker compared to most thruhikers.........................etc,etc,etc.... ...............................

like you said..."hike your own hike!"
i, too, am a slower than average hiker...but i still make my hike an enjoyable one for me!

it's funny, the younger hikers....seem to stay up late & sleep late...10am or 11am (for example) & then they bust their butts to "get their miles in" for the day....be the turtle....slow & steady.

good luck & remember:... "it's not the miles...it's the journey!" :D

SalParadise
07-11-2004, 13:25
For me, discouragement comes on slow, like a disease. It's when I have no more mental or physical energy to climb hills any more that day (or sometimes week), yet there I stand, at the base of yet another mountain, noticing the Trail goes straight up. What helps? Cursing, for one. I think it's recognizing that I'd have challenges when I started and it's making an honest commitment to yourself from the beginning that you'd complete the Trail.

NotYet
07-13-2004, 19:21
Different things discourage different people. To avoid discouragement, it's probably best if you have a understanding of yourself and your motivations before you hit the trail...but then again, that's what some hikers are trying to find out!

I never actually felt discouraged on my thru-hike. It think this was because I was able to focus on the positive of every situation and enjoy the hike for what it was...a really long hike! I did worry a few different times, as I had some injuries that I thought might knock me off the trail. But fortunately, I listened to my body & gave my injuries the rest that they needed. They healed, and I continued my hike.

Some people here have advised not to plan. That's fine for some, but I believe that if you are the "planning type" you should plan and set your goals, etc. I had organized lists, a general schedule, mail drops, etc. This did not enslave me, it merely helped me to prepare. So; if you are a "planning type" (like I obviously am), be true to who you are! The important thing with a plan is to be ready and willing to re-assess and re-evaluate it, and then change it or throw it our entirely if necessary. A plan is not a bad thing, inflexibility is.

For me, it's hard to get discouraged on a hike. I've learned that: "I get what I get", "I can't control most things" and "I am one of the luckiest people alive because I am out in the woods hiking!" And, everyday, I get to learn more!

The Will
07-13-2004, 20:21
Many good suggestions have been given thus far, so for fear of being reduntant let me just include one: give the experience a fair chance.

On the AT you'll encounter hikers who tell the story of "just giving the trail one more day and if things don't get better...." than they'll bail. I wonder how many of those who do drop out take this approach before they call it quits. The reality is that things very often may not get better in a 24 hour period. It may still be raining/snowing/buggy/hot and humid etc.,,,.

But I don't believe such an attitude is being fair to the Appalachian Trail experience. When confronted with a low point during my thru-hike I was tempted to make (or atleast hint at) a statement similiar to the above. The major difference being that the test period I allowed for wasn't 24hrs but two weeks.

An Appalachian Trail hike is a remarkable experience for many, many reasons and the number of members of this board/forum can attest for that. Give the trail a fair chance and you will be rewarded.

The Will
MEGA '97

Lobo
07-13-2004, 21:05
When I started my hike in February 2000 in Georgia, I was prepared both mentally and physically to reach Katahdin. I was able to take all the features of my real life, wrap them in a ball, and store them in the back of my brain, only to be accessed occasonally to keep in touch with reality. My main focus was the Trail - water, enough food to the next town, maildrops, campsite for that night. During the first 2 1/2 months I never considered quitting the Trail even once.
At Mother's Day, I left the Trail at Duncannon to go home to Lancaster for a 3 day stay to spend time with my first grandson, who was born while I was on the Trail, and my other relatives.
When I returned to the Trail after the visit, I was unable to regain my focus of the hike and my vision was clouded with thoughts of home. I wanted to go home! I tried to hike long distances, 23 -25 miles, for several days to occupy my mind, but it didn't work.
I finally called another hiker who was home for several days, and we deceided to get out of Pennsylvania and join up with other friends who were 3 days ahead in NJ.
We finished the Trail without any other thoughts of quitting, and returned to PA to complete the 3 days hike that we skipped.