PDA

View Full Version : How much food?

guavaguy
01-04-2009, 20:55
Hey Guys!
I know this depends on a lot of variables but I am curious to know from past thru-hikers about how much food you carried on the following sections:
Ga - VA
WV - PA
NJ - MA
VT - ME
I have hiked for weeks but not months and plan on doing around 15 -17 miles per day (less in NH & ME) for my upcoming thru this year (2009).:banana
Thanks for any insight.
Aloha

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 21:05
too vague a ? get the Data Book and read it. 3-6 days is all the AVERAGE person carries

Jim Adams
01-05-2009, 12:37
not enough!

geek

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2009, 13:04
I agree with Lone Wolf...your question is too vague. What is the point of asking it? I mean, everyone is different so my diet would be different than yours, his, hers, etc.

If you're asking b/c you want to use maildrops, don't. Seriously, unless you have dietary restrictions there are no reasons to mail yourself food while traveling on a thin strip of semi-wilderness that cuts through the EAST COAST of the US.

But, to give you a for instance:

In GA to VA I ate a Lipton's for dinner and was happy. Sometimes I had chicken to put in it and that was cool. I also used a little olive oil for taste.

Starting in VA chicken was a must. When it was missing I had to add a ramen to a Lipton or Mac just for volume. Olive oil became necessary for fuel.

By the middle of VA I found that I'd eat a whole crap-ton at night and first thing in the morning. My appetite was decimated by the heat. It sucked so i started cooking two dinners and at times packing out entire pizza's just to have something that I'd want to eat.

By NJ it was necessary for me to have a "project" to eat each day. Something like a pound of pasta for dinner...or an entire box of Oreo's. Something to challenge my appetite.

When the heat died down I was back to eating huge dinners with chicken and at least 3 ounces of olive oil (a must). Then I'd need to have another 1000 calories of desert or second dinner to be able to sleep without waking up hungry or working into the next day's snacks.

I ate a Moose in Maine. It's not something I'm proud of.

ofthearth
01-05-2009, 13:59
or check out link below - I think you will find it is as LW says

AT Re-Supply Info (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/../#)