PDA

View Full Version : kennals for the smokies

Oroin01
01-05-2009, 01:36
can anyone recomend a kennal for a nobo and what are the prices

Rockhound
01-05-2009, 11:05
There are two, but not sure of the names or prices. I'm sure someone here who has used their services will let you know. I'm just posting to let you know the best place to be reunited with your dog would be Standing Bear Hostel. I know the kennels will drop your pooch off right their and its just north of I-40 250 yards off the trail just after you exit the GSMNP.

BombDiggity
01-05-2009, 12:00
how far from the smokies do you live.you could save 300.00 bucks by having the pup start after the park. check the kennals in pigeon forge. they were very nice.

joshua5878
01-05-2009, 12:31

I used these folks for my Great Pyr, I had to go to Atlanta for a few days when we were up in our Cabin in NC. It is in Waynesville, about a half hour from the entrance to the Park. (NC side) Very cheap, family owned on their premises. Really liked them.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=kennel+waynesville+nc&fb=1&view=text&latlng=17331604194292685699

Oroin01
01-05-2009, 12:46
starting him after the smokies might be an option but, he may get a little out of shape by then. thankfully it sounds like there are a few good options out there. thanks for the info

superman
01-05-2009, 13:31
I used a kennel for Winter in 2000 but I wouldn't recommend it. If I had it to do over, I would have walked around the Smokies. I think I saw a parallel road to the east of the smokies.

Oroin01
01-05-2009, 13:34
was it the separation or were thier facilities not up to par?

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 13:55
you'll most likely reach fontana dam 12-19 days from springer. how far from the smokies do you live. family member couldn't pick up dog and bring back 5-7 days later? or you could hike the smokies before or after your hike.

Oroin01
01-05-2009, 14:06
yes there are many options but i would rather save the family call for the possibility of extraction no need to inconvience others with my wonder lust. i guess it couldnt hurt to ask

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 14:09
not trying to talk you out of the kennel,i used a kennel in 99'. great people it went well. but i've heard a few horror stories. IT WOULD be nice to check them out (the kennel)ahead of time and see with your own eyes.

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 14:14
yes there are many options but i would rather save the family call for the possibility of extraction no need to inconvience others with my wonder lust. i guess it couldnt hurt to ask
your dog might be stressed out hanging out with people he don't know, at the kennel? the trail is stressful enough on them at times. take your time and enjoy the hike. hiking with your dog is a great time.IMO

Oroin01
01-05-2009, 14:30
it would be nice if there were a side trial other than a road walk around the park for dogs. never left my dog with strangers in eight years. i would definitly want some first hand knowledge of a place before going the kennal route.

DRRouner
01-07-2009, 00:40
My biggest worry before hiking the AT was what I was going to do with my dog while going thru the Smokies. I had her from the day she was born and never been apart. I chose Loving Care Kennels based on the recommendation from Jeff and Nancy Hoch who own The Hike Inn. Linda O'Niell owns the kennel and took great care of her. When she brought my dog to me at Davenport Gap, my dog ran up and jumped on me glad to see me but then ran back and licked Linda on the hand. My dog is now 14 years years old and that was the only time she ever showed affection to anybody except for me. Subsequently, I used her three other times and I wouldn't hesitate to use her services again.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2009, 00:43
My biggest worry before hiking the AT was what I was going to do with my dog while going thru the Smokies. I had her from the day she was born and never been apart. I chose Loving Care Kennels based on the recommendation from Jeff and Nancy Hoch who own The Hike Inn. Linda O'Niell owns the kennel and took great care of her. When she brought my dog to me at Davenport Gap, my dog ran up and jumped on me glad to see me but then ran back and licked Linda on the hand. My dog is now 14 years years old and that was the only time she ever showed affection to anybody except for me. Subsequently, I used her three other times and I wouldn't hesitate to use her services again.
same kennel service i used,i stayed at jeff and nancys too that year. great service. i just thought that anybody who lived close enough to the trail could save some money. maybe even hike the smokies first or last.? whatever works for ya. have a great hike