PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to Deep Gap NC

Fussymary
01-05-2009, 11:10
I plan on resuming my hike at Deep Gap NC - where I dropped out last year due to issues with the feet. What is the best way to get there in early February?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 11:13
by forest service road. if closed, kimsey creek trail from standing indian campground

Fussymary
01-05-2009, 11:28
More specifically - need to figure out a way to get to Franklin from southern FL (I'll figure this out) - once there - does Ron Haven run people out to either spot in early Feb? Options for other shuttle services if not Ron?

Grinder
01-05-2009, 11:56
Joyce and Sally shuttle and live near Dicks Creek Gap. phone number is in the trail services section somewhere (search funtion will find them)

Good reliable people
Grinder

Ron Haven
01-05-2009, 22:50
More specifically - need to figure out a way to get to Franklin from southern FL (I'll figure this out) - once there - does Ron Haven run people out to either spot in early Feb? Options for other shuttle services if not Ron?If I can help call me at 828-524-4403 I run shuttles year around.Yes L Wolf FS71 will be closed until 3/15/09

notded
01-10-2009, 15:54
check philcapper@fastmail.fm for shuttles from ga to tn and beyond . Friendly and inexpensive, flexible and a downright good guy

Tennessee Viking
01-10-2009, 17:59
More specifically - need to figure out a way to get to Franklin from southern FL (I'll figure this out) - once there - does Ron Haven run people out to either spot in early Feb? Options for other shuttle services if not Ron?
I believe the Forest Road to Deep Gap might be closed in Feb. You will probably have to connect up to trail from Standing Indian Camp using Kimsey Creek Trail. Or go ahead to the top of Standing Indian on Lower Ridge Trail.

Best route to Franklin for you will be Florida to Atlanta, then take I85 north, then I985/US23 all the way to Franklin NC.

Ox97GaMe
01-20-2009, 21:38
I would not advise going up this trail. It is the fastes way to the summit from the campground, that is to say... almost straight up. Not fun for a first day with a full pack. Even worse if it gets wet or covered with snow/ice. Best bet is to take Kimsey Creek up to Deep Gap. It will be a nice warm up to your AT section.

Also, the maps will show that the road from Atlanta to Franklin, NC is US441.

Ox97GaMe
01-20-2009, 21:41
Another option for transportation is Amtrack from Florida. You can take it to Gainesville, GA (NE of ATL). From there, it is a little over an hour to Franklin. you could check shuttle services from both Gainesville and Franklin and perhaps get them to transfer you somewhere between.