PDA

View Full Version : Camp Groups

ziffy
04-18-2004, 20:38
Hello everyone. I'm pretty new here. I'm from Pennsylvania currently residing in Wisconsin. I have some quick questions for anyone who thinks they can answer. First, some background.

In the summer I lead hiking/climbing/canoeing trips for a summer camp in the Pocono mountains. We usually are limited to three day outings as per our insurance company. Thus, we're rather limited in terms of time period. I led a few three-day AT hikes last summer for the first time. We're pretty proximal to southern NJ/northern PA/upstate NY and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good AT segments in that area that wouldn't be too tough for a bunch of 12-15 year olds.

Second, the water issue. I've been dong the climbing/canoeing thing way longer than the hiking thing so I'm not as familiar with the conventions. I would like to bring water filters instead of carrying a whole bunch of water next time we go out this summer and I was wondering the risk of getting seriously sick from filtered water on the trail. If it were for only myself I wouldn't be so bothered, but since it will also be for a group of kids who are in my care, I need to know in real terms if it is safe or not.

Thank you all in advance. I'm so happy I found these forums.

Ramble~On
04-19-2004, 05:57
I also lead groups on hikes...I try to not take groups on the AT though.
I have always carried filters. Problem is....most filters are not designed for groups. You mentioned hiking in PA. During the summer months water can be infrequent in PA...and I know its not easy to have 12-15 yr olds carry a lot of water... What I do is have everyone hydrate really well at each source and refill before leaving.
I've tried about every filter on the market and I like the Pur Hiker..Now owned by
Katadyn...the problem with the "Hiker" filter is it is not 12-15 year old proof.
Instruction on pre-filtering and not filtering from disturbed, silty and muddy water is a must or your filters will be clogged in no time.
The Katadyn Hiker is fairly lightweight and has what I consider to be a really good output.
I have recently switched over to the Katadyn Combi which suits my needs better for groups. They are heavier than the "Hiker" and rather than having a matrix the Combi is a ceramic filter.
To learn more about filters check out REI.com.

Ramble~On
04-19-2004, 06:11
Opps. I guess I didn't really answer your question.

The main concern in water in the Eastern U.S. is Giardia.
I made the mistake in 1996 of not filtering all of my water and I got a nasty case. I do not know of a backpacking water filter on the market that does not remove Giardia. If as you said you are only out for 3 days you shouldn't have to worry about getting sick from filtered water. To be completely safe if you replace the filter cartridge or clean the ceramic element after each trip...(depending on which type filter you use) you should have no worries.

You mentioned Northern PA....if you ever have time take a look at the "Mid State Trail" in Central Pennsylvania. It's not the AT but it offers some great great backpacking:

MST Assoc., Inc
PO BOX 167
Boalsburg, PA 16827

SGT Rock
04-19-2004, 10:51
Use iodine. 10 people fill their bottles, 20 tablets go in, then you walk down the trail. No mess no fuss.