PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Campsite In Virginia?

Nicksaari
01-05-2009, 13:22
i am always seeking the best recommendations from anyone.
im not particular to one, but i enjoy both camps with views from a vista, or a set up right next to a waterfall or water source.

these are a few of mine:
anywhere in the Mt Pleasant Recreation Area, especially the summit of Cold Mtn, the two atop craggy Mt Pleasant, and the meadow the trail crosses at Hog Camp Gap- the one with the swing.

Cedar Cliffs

Three Ridges overlook, right off the trail (hopefully, you've seen it)

Anywhere in Grayson Highlands, Elk Garden

Im sure im missing some in between. thanks guys!

trippclark
01-05-2009, 13:42
At the overlook atop The Priest

Johnny Thunder
01-05-2009, 13:47
Cross the Tye river (I think it was the tye). Hang a right. Sick swimming hole.

Bucky Katt
01-05-2009, 14:17
i am always seeking the best recommendations from anyone.
im not particular to one, but i enjoy both camps with views from a vista, or a set up right next to a waterfall or water source.

these are a few of mine:
anywhere in the Mt Pleasant Recreation Area, especially the summit of Cold Mtn, the two atop craggy Mt Pleasant, and the meadow the trail crosses at Hog Camp Gap- the one with the swing...."

Camping is allowed atop Cold Mtn?

Nicksaari
01-05-2009, 16:54
nope. as well as on cedar cliffs

i do as i please. practice LNT.

Yahtzee
01-05-2009, 17:08
The view off of Little Stony Man Mountain. Not up the side trail to the summit but right on the AT. Get drunk at Skyland, stumble through the nature preserve and set up under the stars with a great view of Luray below. Maybe a spot or two in the bushes for those who insist on being in a tent, but just laying out on the rocks is the way to go. Always look forward to that section.

Low Impact
01-05-2009, 17:59
Two of the BEST places I camped in VA on my 2008 THRU were:

1. Thomas Knob Shelter - Amazing view, great water source, ample sleeping space, and right in the Grayson Highlands.

2. Stealth site about 2 miles SOUTH of Chestnut Knob shelter - Again, an amazing view. Plenty of area to throw your tent up. I think most people push on to the official shelter, so there is a good chance there aren't going to be too many other hikers around. There wasn't when I was there.

Enjoy. Virginia is the-bomb.com!

Blissful
01-05-2009, 20:44
Whitetop Mtn by the blasting spring is excellent. The view is great with superb sunset.

TrippinBTM
01-05-2009, 21:04
Syms Meadow. If memory serves, it's about 12 miles north of Pearisburg. Will have to carry water in (unless you like better than I did the looks of that stagnant horrible pond), but you get a view of sunset AND sunrise, plus it's a good place to camp in general, nice and open.

Cookerhiker
01-05-2009, 21:38
On top of HighTop Mountain, the highest point in the southern district of SNP. Lots of space for your tent or hammock, rocky cliffs overlooking the west making for a splendid sunset, and a spring on top of the mountain which usually flows.

BlackCloud
01-06-2009, 15:43
Syms gap is more like 8 from Pearisburg I think. One of my favs too.

Also, just on Whitetop Mtn is a gravel road that goes to the top. There is a spring there. Within eye shot is a lip in a huge field to the south (downhill). Awesome spot.

TrippinBTM
01-10-2009, 20:22
You sure? I'm pretty sure we did 12 miles that day. Maybe you're thinking of the shelter before syms?

I'll have to check my journal...

Tennessee Viking
01-11-2009, 03:01
My pick is not on trail but not too far. Its the USFS Bear Tree campground off of US58. It is more car camping but has running water, showers, and a small mountain lake.

Pokey2006
01-11-2009, 03:05
Dismal Falls.

Cool AT Breeze
01-11-2009, 04:02
Along the Creeper Trail north of Damascus.

saimyoji
01-11-2009, 11:46
lw's backyard

sticks&stones
01-11-2009, 12:18
North Horn (not South Horn) in the Bigelow Range.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2009, 13:48
North Horn (not South Horn) in the Bigelow Range.

which is in maine, not virginia

BlackCloud
01-11-2009, 13:52
You sure? I'm pretty sure we did 12 miles that day. Maybe you're thinking of the shelter before syms?

It might be 12 from downtown & 8 from the last paved road.....

johnnybgood
07-18-2015, 23:00
Hanging Rock Overlook, northern flank of Three Ridges -- Great for watching meteor showers as there is no light pollution.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2015, 23:12
The ridge on the top of sinking creek mountain was my best campsite last supper.

Odd Man Out
07-18-2015, 23:17
The ridge on the top of sinking creek mountain was my best campsite last supper.

That should be "summer". There are several rock outcroppings. I found a spot just big enough for my tent around the rocks in an area where the ridge is only a few hrs wide. I could see the sunset and sunrise from the tent.

SWODaddy
07-18-2015, 23:35

Per Guthook, Symm's is 11mi north of the New River at Pearsiburg.

johnnybgood
07-18-2015, 23:44
Thanks Odd Man Out , I'm doing that section in two weeks. Going sobo is that rock outcropping on the right shortly after getting along the ridge ? I guess I'll take my solo QDome .

Odd Man Out
07-19-2015, 11:17
Thanks Odd Man Out , I'm doing that section in two weeks. Going sobo is that rock outcropping on the right shortly after getting along the ridge ? I guess I'll take my solo QDome .

As I recall there are wide flat tree-covered areas at both ends where the trail attains the ridge line. I was hiking NOBO. There is a side trail to a shelter a short distance from the south end of the ridge. However that shelter is quite a ways off (and below) the trail. I didn't watch to add that many extra miles and elevation gain/loss to my hike so I skipped it. I didn't think I would have time to make the next shelter which was at the bottom of the mtn on the north side so I had planned to dry camp up on the ridge. After passing the side trail to the shelter the wide flat mountain top became a narrow rocky ridge. It was a nice hike with some challenging scrambles and nice vies but I was afraid I would not find another good camp site before going down the mtn. There was one point were the trail seemed to go around the left side of some rocks and then just disappeared into the woods. This was the first time I lost the trail. So I did what they say you are supposed to do. I went back to find the last blaze and retrace you steps. I then found myself in the exact same dead end. I backtracked one more time and finally found the point where the trail goes through this very narrow gap in the rocks. There was a blaze on the rock there but given the well trodden path that goes the wrong way it seems a lot of other people miss it too. SOBO hikers won't have this problem. Then got to this spot where the ridge is very narrow with a small flat spot just big enough for a tent not more than a few feet left of rhe trail. Going SOBO it would be on the right at the base of some rocks you could climb to get a view. The trail curves to the left just after the camp site (going south) to go around the rocks. To the left the views are blocked by trees. In the morning I hiked past a number of rock outcroppings with great views to the right (left SOBO). Then the ridge opened up again just before going down the mountain. Good luck.

carouselambra
07-19-2015, 12:35
Whitetop Mtn by the blasting spring is excellent. The view is great with superb sunset.

Here is a picture from that very spot of my tent in June 2005:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61196&c=556

Del Q
07-19-2015, 23:10
Tinker Cliffs was amazing...............the one that came to mind was in the Grayson Highlands. Great stealth spot on a nice hill

Turns out who turned out to become a great hiking partner and friend was camped down in the valley on the same night. We met at the next shelter the next night.

Drybones
07-20-2015, 07:48
McAfee ?.........................

Odd Man Out
07-20-2015, 08:35
McAfee ?.........................

Camping is restricted to designated camping areas and shelters in the area around McAfee. The restricted area is frome Daleville to several miles past the McAfee trailhead.

wrap89
07-20-2015, 09:08
about half mile south of the james river foot bridge right on the river.
harrison ground spring.
atop mcafee knob.
any place in SNP.

wrap89
07-20-2015, 09:10
about half mile south of the james river foot bridge right on the river.
harrison ground spring.
atop mcafee knob.
any place in SNP.

I STEALTH camp alot.

Odd Man Out
07-20-2015, 11:36
Camping is restricted to designated camping areas and shelters in the area around McAfee. The restricted area is frome Daleville to several miles past the McAfee trailhead.

Specifically, the 26 miles of the AT from VA 624 to US 220. Camping only allowed at designated shelters and campgrounds. Water in this section also can be hard to come by, especially in a dry summer. Not all water sources listed are reliable in dry periods.

appompa255
07-22-2015, 06:40
Not sure if you all saw this....

http://m.roanoke.com/news/bear-sightings-trigger-new-warning-signs-along-appalachian-trail/article_844f9c04-2fc3-50a5-9450-236e026620cb.html?mode=jqm

Donde
07-22-2015, 06:53
Any of the sites along the Mau-Har.