PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Red White Blue backpack photo?

Johnny Swank
01-05-2009, 16:50
I'm trying to track down a picture that was in Backpacker ages ago. The picture was taken around 1976, with a dude in tennis shoes (maybe waffle-stompers) carrying a red, white, and blue external frame backpack (Kelty Super Tioga?) Was in the stars and stripes motiff. :)

I've googled this for an hour already with no luck. Any ideas?

In case you're interested in what this is for, I'm working on Part II of the Thru-hiker Backpacks (http://sourcetosea.net/thru-hiker-backpacks) section of my Appalachian Trail Thru-hiker study (http://sourcetosea.net/appalachain-trail-thru-hiker-study) today. I should have it posted later today, picture or not. That picture would sure set the whole thing off though!

emerald
01-05-2009, 17:20
I recall seeing packs which meet your description. I don't think they were Keltys. Keltys would have been beyond the price range of scouts I knew.

Johnny Swank
01-05-2009, 17:44
I swear I've got this buried at home somewhere. It was a guy that looked to be in his twenties, and had a big ole beard. This is going to drive me nuts, and the last thing I want to do tonight is go through old magazines and hopefully scan this thing.

I think it was in a "Worst Ideas for Backpacking" issue, circa 1996 or so.

nitewalker
01-05-2009, 18:57
im not sure what photo you are refering to but check out the funk brothers journal on trail journals. i belive there are some old photos there. maybe u can lift one of those..

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 19:27
pack look like this one?

Johnny Swank
01-05-2009, 19:44
Those are the packs! I'm getting the motivation (re: PBR) to dig though my magazines now. I really, really want to get ahold of this photo. Irrationally so. ;)

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2009, 20:32
pack look like this one?

That 40th anniv Kelty in the corner looks mighty familiar... :D Have you had a chance to use it yet?

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 20:43
That 40th anniv Kelty in the corner looks mighty familiar... :D Have you had a chance to use it yet?
you want me to get it dirty? :D probably use my 50th anniversary pack this year again

prain4u
01-05-2009, 21:35
Crumbsnatcher,
What is the company and model of that Red, White and Blue pack in your pictures? The design of the pack and frame seems to be identical to a blaze orange colored pack that I acquired in the mid-late 1970s. (Mine bears the label: "American Camper 4740").

The pack was apparently cheap enough back then (it was a gift). Ironically, back in the Summer of 1978, someone told me that the plastic joints on the frame would not last through the 80 mile hike that I was about to start. I still own the pack in 2009--and the joints look fine. I have put LOTS of miles on this pack and I can still use it. Note: In 1978, a 600 lb. black bear (the bear's weight was reported by area Rangers--not my estimate) tossed the pack around and put a rip in it. I sewed it up right there in the field--and have had no other problems since. All I can say about this pack is this: IT TAKES A LICKING AND KEEPS ON TICKING!

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 21:46
Crumbsnatcher,
What is the company and model of that Red, White and Blue pack in your pictures? The design of the pack and frame seems to be identical to a blaze orange colored pack that I acquired in the mid-late 1970s. (Mine bears the label: "American Camper 4740").

The pack was apparently cheap enough back then (it was a gift). Ironically, back in the Summer of 1978, someone told me that the plastic joints on the frame would not last through the 80 mile hike that I was about to start. I still own the pack in 2009--and the joints look fine. I have put LOTS of miles on this pack and I can still use it. Note: In 1978, a 600 lb. black bear (the bear's weight was reported by area Rangers--not my estimate) tossed the pack around and put a rip in it. I sewed it up right there in the field--and have had no other problems since. All I can say about this pack is this: IT TAKES A LICKING AND KEEPS ON TICKING!
i couldn't find any info on the pack,if you were wearing it,right behind your head is an ovel sticker sticker. but the info's wore down. i believe its a american camper.sorry i couldn't help:(

Erin
01-05-2009, 22:00
I borrowed a 1970's blaze orange backpack years ago from my brother. He still has it. It is a Camp Trails brand.

Toolshed
01-05-2009, 22:13
I seem to recall this photo - I need to dig through my old stack of BPers - I thought it was earlier than that - Maybe 72 and IIRC he had Yellowish short running shorts, big Norwegian welt stitch-downs and long wool socks.(Course I may be totally wrong.).
If I can get to my old stack in the next week or two (involves locating said stack), I'd be glad to take a look.

Johnny Swank
01-05-2009, 23:17
Great - I lost motivation after 3 bowls of chili. Damn good chili though!