PDA

View Full Version : My latest DIY project

Streamweaver
04-18-2004, 23:04
I posted a few pics of my latest DIy pack in the gear gallery if anubody is interestedDaypack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/516/password/) Its a very simple design(not my own) with only a main packbag ,padded back panel and mesh front pocket.Its about 2000ci and weighs 9.5 ozs. I took it fishing/hiking yesterday and it worked out very well.
Streamweaver

snuffleupagus
04-18-2004, 23:42
Streamweaver,
Looks pretty good. Is that a G4 design? Do you think your pack would hold up to a 2100 mile thru hike?
I've made a similar pack (about 2500ci) and after a hard days hike I have a tendancy to throw my bag down anywhere and just plop down (my seams have ripped). What materials did you use for the main compartment and pads? .
The river photo looks like a spot I use to fish in the summer for smallies and ride my bike. Could be wrong though. Been years since I've fished there.

Streamweaver
04-19-2004, 00:33
If you look closely you can prolly see some dirt on the pack,I was intentionally a bit rough with the it to see if it could hack it(better to find out close to home) .I checked all the seams and everything held together .The main pack is made of waterproof (coated) nylon that used to be a part of a tent. As far as the design I just copied certain parts from a daypack I have and also used some ideas from other packs.Its somewhat like a G4 but the bottom is diferent.If I was carefull I think it could go the distance on a Thru-hike but If I was to use one of my own packs Id make it atleast 3000 ci.Since this pack turned out so light (which surprised me) I think I will go with a heavier fabric because Im also pretty hard on my gear and I do alot of bushwacking,it should still be lighter than a commercial pack.
The area I was fishing is Patapsco Valley State Park . I fished between Union Dam near rt40 and the Mckeldin area ,and I took those pics at the slackwater area above Daniels dam .The smallies wernt biting,I guess because the water was still pretty cold.I did catch several nice rainbow trout and one big sucker carp lol thought I had a trophy trout on that one. Streamweaver

Uncle Wayne
04-19-2004, 01:32
Good job on the pack. I like the altoid stove modification also, that's a good idea.
It may be obvious to everyone else but how are the supports fastened to the can? What keeps them from folding up under the weight of the pot?

Streamweaver
04-19-2004, 02:33
For the pot supports I used JB Weld to hold 4 short peices I cut from an old car antenna in the 4 corners of the stove.The supports themselves are just 2 lengths of coathanger bent to shape and the ends slide right into the car antenna peices and can be removed and stowed in the stove when not in use. There was some question about the JB Weld holding up under heat and stress but Ive used the stove every weekend since I made it and even used my pliers to put stress on the pot supports while they were still hot and they are still holding strong.BTW -JB Weld is an adhesive sold in most hardware stores .It comes in 2 tubes ,one is the adhesive and the other is the hardener
According to the manufacturer it was used to fix a crack in a race car engine so I think it will hold up under the heat of the stove,but only time will tell,so far so good. Streamweaver

Jaybird
04-19-2004, 07:40
I posted a few pics of my latest DIy pack in the gear gallery if anubody is interestedURL=http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/516/password/]Daypack[/URL] Its a very simple design(not my own) with only a main packbag ,padded back panel and mesh front pocket.Its about 2000ci and weighs 9.5 ozs. I took it fishing/hiking yesterday and it worked out very well.Streamweaver

Streamweaver:

Very Cool! Nice looking pack.
You thinking about opening up the STREAMWEAVER BACKPACK CO.????? ;)