PDA

View Full Version : FireFighter EMS Police

SmokeEater
01-05-2009, 21:09
Just wondering how many fire, ems police we have that love to hike. I work for a full time dept with that has three stations. We run 3 engines and one ladder. I work on an engine.

No Belay
01-05-2009, 21:20
Just wondering how many fire, ems police we have that love to hike. I work for a full time dept with that has three stations. We run 3 engines and one ladder. I work on an engine.

Not sure how many firefighters are on WB but if you go down to the " home made gear" forum, you'll find a whole slew of pyromaniacs.

TaTonka

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 21:25

i was a volunteer fireman in vermont at one time, now i'm with the damascus volunteer rescue squad

Doctari
01-05-2009, 21:26
Former Firefighter, Been a Medic for over 25 years.

Hooch
01-05-2009, 21:29
Nurse and respiratory therapist here.

SmokeEater
01-05-2009, 22:15
10 years Vol and 4 paid. Cant live without the Vol!

Micky
01-05-2009, 22:18
21 years Delaware County Sheriff's Reserve.

pyroman53
01-05-2009, 22:20
...you'll find a whole slew of pyromaniacs.

TaTonka

Someone talkin about me? Wildland firefighter (cept now I'm old and stay in fire camp mostly)

Cool AT Breeze
01-05-2009, 22:37
25 years EMS and fire.

beas
01-05-2009, 22:48
17 yrs Memphis Fire Dept Battalion Chief. 10 plus years FEMA Urban Search and Rescue. And having the time of my life, never think of going to the station as work just going to the fire station to see what happens next.
The only thing better could be relief pitcher in the major league.
My partner I section hike with also same stats. We went to rookie school and worked together for the last 17 yrs.
Memphis has 1700 plus firefighters and medics 60 fire stattions 28 truck companies 3 heavy rescues and 33 ambulances with 14 Battalions.

Lyle
01-05-2009, 23:13
26+ years as a Michigan State Licensed EMT/Paramedic - vast majority of it full-time, 22+ years as an EMS Instructor/Coordinator (part time). Did take 5 years out to work for VisionQuest in PA and NJ, but even that was often as a medical staff.

Can anyone say 50 lb resuscitator? How about MAST Pants or should I say PASG? Short Boards? Rotating Tourniquets?

We've come a long way, baby!

Cool AT Breeze
01-05-2009, 23:16
26+ years as a Michigan State Licensed EMT/Paramedic - vast majority of it full-time, 22+ years as an EMS Instructor/Coordinator (part time). Did take 5 years out to work for VisionQuest in PA and NJ, but even that was often as a medical staff.

Can anyone say 50 lb resuscitator? How about MAST Pants or should I say PASG? Short Boards? Rotating Tourniquets?

Damn, rotating tourniquets, Haven't heard that one in a while.

Joey
01-05-2009, 23:17
Former ff/para with Spartanburg County 6 years--State Trooper SC Hwy Patrol 18 years, now own my own business and loving the freedom!

Lugnut
01-05-2009, 23:21
Forest Phil who lives in Maryland, is a firefighter in Virginia.

garlic08
01-05-2009, 23:38
Just retired firefighter, wildland and structure.

Worm
01-05-2009, 23:39
3 yrs. Military Police, 22 yrs. West Virginia State Police (Retired SGT.), 3 yrs. Chief of Police Peterstown, WV, Currently Chief Field Deputy Monroe County (WV) Sheriff's Department. I'm running out of hats to wear.

Joey
01-05-2009, 23:46
3 yrs. Military Police, 22 yrs. West Virginia State Police (Retired SGT.), 3 yrs. Chief of Police Peterstown, WV, Currently Chief Field Deputy Monroe County (WV) Sheriff's Department. I'm running out of hats to wear.
Git ya a firehouse one!! Too many Police ones!!

theinfamousj
01-06-2009, 00:46
Former first responder. Now a high school chemistry teacher.

Jim Adams
01-06-2009, 01:44
Paramedic for 33 years but none of my co-workers hike except 1-2-Many.
OOPS! Forgot...Boudin just became an EMT working toward Paramedic.

geek

Doctari
01-06-2009, 11:23

I remember them all! Do you remember: EOAs & EGTs, when we only wore gloves if it was "Really Nasty", 2 piece: monitor with (semi) attached Defib, wire ladder splints, Thomas half ring splints (btw, SG had a few for sale as "crutches" a few years ago :p )?

Ah memories!

IceAge
01-06-2009, 13:56
I was Firefighting Team Leader "qualified" when I was in the Navy, but never graduated past Hoseman.

Nowadays I am a local CERT team member, but luckily live in an area that has few disasters, so we don't see much (any) action.

Lyle
01-06-2009, 14:09
when we only wore gloves if it was "Really Nasty",

Yep, and blood, guts and brain didn't qualify. Only Sh*$, Pi$$ and Puke qualified. :D

Frau
01-06-2009, 14:18
EMT-B, here, w/EVOC and Extrication. Nessmuk is EMT-B and EVOC. He was more highly qualified, but let his certifications expire during a prolonged divorce. Being a nurse, though, he didn't have to completely retrain to pick up EMT-B again.

Frau

Blissful
01-06-2009, 14:22
All I can say is...thanks for all you do...

Frau
01-06-2009, 14:25
Nessmuk is also a Mantracker (SAR) and was cave rescue, vertical and swiftwater certified in his former life as well. I was a K-9 team member and training the Wonderdog for Wilderness SAR with my daughter until she became more interested in fellas.:datz

Nessmuk and I are on the Glasgow Life Saving and First Aid Crew. Should anything befall you on the trails, in the river, or camping in our area, Glasgow will respond.

Fr.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 14:32
speakin' of rescue squads, we just hauled in The Only Wanderer to the ER again

Frau
01-06-2009, 14:36
No...Same problem?

Fr.

Frau
01-06-2009, 14:37
Who looks after his fur baby while he is ailing?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 14:37
yeah. high BP, sugar issues, etc.

No Belay
01-06-2009, 16:24

Hey Wolf, Did they admit him? Is he at Abington? If he is , my Mom is a Volunteer there and I'll have her drop by and harrass him a bit.

TaTonka

D'Artagnan
01-06-2009, 16:27
I don't fight fires, but I have volunteered for the last 10 years as the accountant for our local Volunteer Fire Department. I have great respect for what these guys (and gals) do for our community.

BR360
01-06-2009, 16:30
Vol FireFighter, Alta, Utah 1985-86.

EMT cert. in NC, but a move to Utah meant I never served.

SoundWitness
01-06-2009, 16:55
23 years with township/municipal police department in Central New Jersey, Only two years to go until retirement....:banana

And then I can concentrate on finishing that darn trail.........

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 16:58
28 plus years with the MI Dept. of Corrections, Sergeant / retired. Fighting crime on the inside.

banksville
01-06-2009, 17:26
Twenty nine years humping stretchers in Pittsburgh EMS, currently assigned to Rescue 2 and River Rescue Unit.

Jim Adams
01-06-2009, 19:04
LW,
Is he diabetic or is this something new that he is dealing with?
Wishing him the best and praying.

geek

Comet Omega
01-06-2009, 19:36
24 years with Austin -Tejas - PD! Several hikers in our dept. Still deciding on thru or section?!

Highpointbound
01-06-2009, 19:47
Police officer for 20 years. Worked everything from narcotics, gang unit, mounted patrol, and domestic/rape investigations, which is what I do now.

Joey
01-06-2009, 20:17
LoneWolf, keep us posted on Wanderer!

walkin' wally
01-06-2009, 20:27
I have fire brigade certification where I work along with Haz Mat, WMD, and mass casualty training ongoing with first aid and CPR.

TOW
01-07-2009, 00:00
I have been referred to a neurologist, I have to call tomorrow. Meanwhile I am real weak and I have pain in my bottom right foot.

They are saying this has nothing to do with my blood sugar. They did a three month test and it has been in the normal range.

The doc said he believes there is something wrong in the nerves of the body?

Midway Sam
01-07-2009, 00:13
Was just accepted today as a volunteer firefighter for my county fire department.

bigben
01-07-2009, 10:41
I'm a fulltime firefighter/paramedic here in suburban Cincinnati. Been in the fire service since 2001, fulltime since 2003. We can retire after 25 years, so it'll be 19 1/2 until I can thru-hike in 2028 or 9. Hopefully I'll have the entire trail section hiked by then NOBO so I can do a SOBO thru. That's the plan anyway, but a lot can happen between now and then.

Bigben

beas
01-07-2009, 12:00
I'm a fulltime firefighter/paramedic here in suburban Cincinnati. Been in the fire service since 2001, fulltime since 2003. We can retire after 25 years, so it'll be 19 1/2 until I can thru-hike in 2028 or 9. Hopefully I'll have the entire trail section hiked by then NOBO so I can do a SOBO thru. That's the plan anyway, but a lot can happen between now and then.

Bigben
Big Ben,
What a job I have about 9 yrs till I am eligible to retire but God willing I will do about 28 or 12 more yrs. That will get my youngest out of high school,3 years on what we call the"drop program" which is some type of retirement deal, me out of this dump called Memphis Tn,and find me and the wife a place in East Tennessee. Hopefully all 3 kids will be smart enough that I wont pay for college or maybe I will have the school funds ready.

little bear
01-09-2009, 13:21
Im a police officer in a small town in NC. I have worked Narcotics/Gangs, investigations, been a patrol sergeant and FTO for my dept for 8 years.

WalkingStick75
01-09-2009, 14:11
Just retired after 25 years with Livingston County Sheriff, Michigan

Why not make this a poll?

e-doc
01-09-2009, 14:20
Not any of above but in medical field. Groups like having me around as I have fairly broad wilderness med experience.

Think Spring
01-10-2009, 16:11
Here's another one. Spent 5 years as a Park Ranger, then went with the Sheriff's Dept. as a "Special Deputy" for 15, all while I taught high school chemistry and what ever else they assigned. Currently still working, as "part-time" (...24 hour shift every 6th day...) firefighter/EMT for a township...(5 stations)...fire/EMS department. Bigben and another former student, Gadgetteer, have been AT hiking partners; the first a firefighter/medic, and the second a police officer and former sheriff's deputy. And, we all still love hikin' the AT!:sun

Desert Reprobate
01-10-2009, 16:44
18 Years in Corrections. Plan to retire this year and hit the AT next.

JJMcK
01-10-2009, 18:47
Captain, Portland ,Pa. Volunteer Structural, Vehicle, Water (Delaware River is right next door).

A C York
02-17-2009, 22:55
Volunteer firefighter for 5 years and nationally certified First Responder NW Tennessee.

dgrimes21
02-17-2009, 23:54
Volunteer FF, EMT, and a Reserve Police Officer

Tennessee Viking
02-18-2009, 00:00
I have been a law enforcement videographer and will be in forensics pretty soon.

tuswm
02-18-2009, 01:35
6 years on Beach patrol, we work with fire, EMS, police, coast guard, and my favorite bomb squad. You would not believe how many explosives wash up on the beach in the fall during the big storms.

karo
02-18-2009, 23:18
I was an EMT thirty years ago last Dec. my how time flies! Taught Amer. Red Cross 1st aid/CPR for 13 years at GM.

theinfamousj
02-18-2009, 23:33
You would not believe how many explosives wash up on the beach in the fall during the big storms.

:eek::eek: Where do they come from?

tuswm
02-19-2009, 13:21
Things would was up like grenades, live amo, dynamite, and even partially exploded fireworks from 4th of July. From what I have been told by senior members many ordnances where just tossed over board by the navy right before returning to port for two reasons, one when the returned they would have to do paper work for any remaining ordnances so they ditched then, and the other reason is that if they didn't use then they would not get the budget for them next time. But even the people that told me that were not sure how much of that was true.

Now I only worked there for 3 fall seasons so far when the big storms his. Apparently I saw a first time thing with bricks of plastic explosives and det cord and blasting caps washing up. Many times they would just decide to take care of it on the beach. We have no idea where these were coming from.

The big problem wit this is that 99% of the time its kids that find this stuff and they think its either a toy or they don't know what it is so they investigate it. all the plastics are usually wrapped in bright colors that the kids love. When these things get mixed with salt water and dry out they can become so unstable that moving them at all can set them off. Even some of the blasting caps to set off the plastics are strong enough to kill someone.

here is a small vid that also talks about dredging for beach replenishment and explosives. Its actualy a big problem
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Dig-This-Beach-Residents-Watch-Crews-Clean-Up-Explosives.html

Bumpa
02-19-2009, 14:35
24 yrs in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police....then 20 yrs as a college professor in a police sciences program Federal pension from the Mounties, Provincial pension from the College...need to find a city job so I can cover all three levels of Gov't :sun

elangomat
02-21-2009, 22:35
Volunteer in local EMS

take-a-knee
02-21-2009, 23:00
Volunteer in local EMS

You should quit, people like you are the reason Paramedics get paid minimum wage, if you can get the milk for free, why buy the cow?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2009, 06:59
You should quit, people like you are the reason Paramedics get paid minimum wage, if you can get the milk for free, why buy the cow?

you're FOS

TOW
02-22-2009, 07:04
If it weren't for volunteers we woudn't have an Armed Forces......

Frau
02-22-2009, 07:34
If it weren't for volunteers, we would have no EMS out in the county. The professional paramedics go where they are paid, and some volunteer with local crews as well, doing double duty (here in Rockbridge County, VA). Lexington city has a day crew (only) of paid EMS, to take up the slack, when most volunteers are at their bread-and-butter jobs. At night they do as the rest of us do--with volunteers.

Fr.

take-a-knee
02-22-2009, 11:31
If it weren't for volunteers we woudn't have an Armed Forces......

Yes, but we pay them in dollars, not food stamps.

SmokeEater
02-22-2009, 11:50

I you serious? Some towns cant afford to pay paramedics good pay. No one is making you stay in a town that has low pay. Seems you need to quit last I knew most of us do our job for what it is and not the pay. If its the pay then somebody tricked you.

take-a-knee
02-22-2009, 13:24
I you serious? Some towns cant afford to pay paramedics good pay. No one is making you stay in a town that has low pay. Seems you need to quit last I knew most of us do our job for what it is and not the pay. If its the pay then somebody tricked you.

When one of your "volunteer" trucks makes a call, I assume there is absolutely no charge, it's all free, right?

canoehead
02-22-2009, 15:46
I was Flight Deck Crash Crew in the Navy, Now I own and Adventure/Outdoor Education business. www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com (http://www.tekoamountainoutdoors.com)

Gotta Love It.

SmokeEater
02-22-2009, 22:59
When one of your "volunteer" trucks makes a call, I assume there is absolutely no charge, it's all free, right?
Who said it didnt? Just stop your not helping your point but it is funny to read. Not my fault they pay you what im sure your worth. This is a thread for fire ems and police to talk about where there from and have a good time not fight. Sorry we are not ParaGODS and should make tons of money and all cites should be able to afford a full time dept. Sounds great but get out of the bubble.

take-a-knee
02-22-2009, 23:53
Who said it didnt? Just stop your not helping your point but it is funny to read. Not my fault they pay you what im sure your worth. This is a thread for fire ems and police to talk about where there from and have a good time not fight. Sorry we are not ParaGODS and should make tons of money and all cites should be able to afford a full time dept. Sounds great but get out of the bubble.

I only peered into the bubble briefly, Uncle Sam sent me to paramedic school (UTXHSC), I was an 18D. After I retired when I inquired about local employment at the local hospital based EMS, the HR chick told me starting pay was $8/hr. I replied, "You're ****ting me", she said nothing and I walked out the door. I found work in Iraq.

SmokeEater
02-23-2009, 08:08
I only peered into the bubble briefly, Uncle Sam sent me to paramedic school (UTXHSC), I was an 18D. After I retired when I inquired about local employment at the local hospital based EMS, the HR chick told me starting pay was $8/hr. I replied, "You're ****ting me", she said nothing and I walked out the door. I found work in Iraq.
My dad has been a Mil medic for 25 years. He loves it. The medics in my town make nothing at all but the next town starts around 60,000 with no ot.

Homer&Marje
02-23-2009, 08:41
No but I think I've started a fire, got arrested, and rode in an ambulance:-?:D

2011_thruhiker
02-23-2009, 09:32
14 years EMS 11 years as a medic....

RWK
02-23-2009, 10:06
Police officer 6 years, then paramedic for last 19 years

thunderrolls
02-23-2009, 11:35
FF/EMT for 18 years. Section hiking the trail.

Stir Fry
02-24-2009, 01:23
20 years navy, 15 years police retire in 2014, plan to thru hike that year.

medicjimr
03-05-2009, 22:51
28 years VFD 26 years EMS 8 now as Paramedic at least half EMS was volly so was'nt in it for money but now being payed for a job I love cant beat it

Jim Adams
03-06-2009, 00:56
Usually it is the level of training required by the state that influences whether or not a service stays volunteer or goes paid. Here in Pa. we still have a few volunteer services however most of them have become BLS because the training needed for paramedics is simply too indepth and lengthly to maintain as a volunteer. Most volunteer services went paid just to maintain their ALS level of transport and therefore maintain a higher level of health care.
Although I absolutely love my job, I am tired of being poor.

geek

garlic08
03-06-2009, 12:27
Usually it is the level of training required by the state that influences whether or not a service stays volunteer or goes paid. Here in Pa. we still have a few volunteer services however most of them have become BLS because the training needed for paramedics is simply too indepth and lengthly to maintain as a volunteer. Most volunteer services went paid just to maintain their ALS level of transport and therefore maintain a higher level of health care.
Although I absolutely love my job, I am tired of being poor.

geek

Agreed. Also, in my combination dept, we had to hire full-time paid EMT-P crews more because of the time requirement on calls. We respond to 2200 calls per year, about 1400 requiring transport to a city hospital that's at least a 2 hour round trip. That's an average of 3 per day, some busy days up to 10 or 12. Add response time, on-scene time, ambo restocking, and many calls go 3-4 hours. That was just too tough to staff with volunteers.