PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Outlets?

Brett
01-05-2009, 21:13
I would like to take my digi camera that is rechargable...but not sure how often electrical outlets come along other than hotel rooms. Any insight?

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 21:19
motels and hostels. never plug in anywhere without asking first

Deadeye
01-05-2009, 21:34
Lots of shelters have electric outlets.

CrumbSnatcher
01-05-2009, 21:35
picnic area right before crossing fontana dam has outlets

KG4FAM
01-05-2009, 21:41
If you eat at a restaurant or shop at a store you can ask them if they mind plugging it up you while you are there. Make sure to leave a good tip / buy more than a coke.

Highway Man
01-05-2009, 22:12
Can somebody give me a quick estimate how frequently I can access those hostels, motels, restaurants, or any other facilities that allow the recharging out of the outlets, of course, except for southern and northern ends of AT?

I'm a little over concerned as I may bring a video camera. TIA.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 22:14
every 3-6 days

warraghiyagey
01-05-2009, 22:15
As often as you stop for resupply -
Beware the Darwin award. . .

Panzer1
01-05-2009, 22:32
You should only plug in at places where you have the right to. In other words if your paying to stay in a room, you have the right to plug in. With a few exceptions listed above, any other place you must first get permission, else its stealing.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-05-2009, 22:40
For a digital camera you can carry space batteries. They weigh very little.

Panzer

Highway Man
01-05-2009, 23:05
For a digital camera you can carry space batteries. They weigh very little.

Panzer

You might be right. I'm still torn between a small video camera and an old Canon G3. I'd like to get a or two non-proprietary battery as they normally have more juice in it, and cheaper if I go with a camera. They could give me more than a thousand shots before recharging.

Gumbi
01-06-2009, 06:03
I would like to take my digi camera that is rechargable...but not sure how often electrical outlets come along other than hotel rooms. Any insight?

If you take a camera that takes a standard battery size, its no problem getting new batteries along the way. It's one thing that I look for as I shopped for my cameras - that it takes AA batteries. I have rechargeable AA batteries at home that I use, but if they wear out when I am on the go, I know I can replace them at the nearest gas station or drug store.

(What I'm saying is, maybe it's time to get a new camera);)

Nest
01-06-2009, 14:31

The guy I hiked with last year had a rechargeable camera and never had any problems. We can give you all kinds of estimates as far as days and pictures taken between recharges but it's all kinda vague. The simple answer is carry your camera and a plug and you will be fine. When you get to a restaurant ask if you can sit next to a plug so you can charge it. I had a few places that didn't have plugs near seats and the manager took our phones into his office or behind the bar or something to charge them for us. When you get to a hostel or motel plug it in and then do your other chores. If you stop at a gas station for a drink before leaving town ask the clerk if you can plug up outside while you drink your drink.

Ranc0r
01-06-2009, 15:11
If you take a camera that takes a standard battery size, its no problem getting new batteries along the way.
(What I'm saying is, maybe it's time to get a new camera);)

AA capability was actually right behind pixels on my digital camera shopping criteria list! Fewer batteries that fit more devices = less weight in spares + more opportunities to resupply that item. It's just math.

Ranc0r

Blissful
01-06-2009, 15:42
I plugged my phone into a restaurant and at the laundromat where I was a customer, twice I think on the hike. At the Hike Inn they recharged my phone for me as my bounce box didn't make it.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 16:50
as stated above...you'll end up being very resourceful and find that there are outlets in places that you'd never respect. Often the staff won't even be aware there are unused outlets in their seating areas.

You just need to ask.

With few exceptions...ever town stop has a charging opportunity. You just need to be courteous and ask permission.