PDA

View Full Version : Greenbrier Rd. closing

Marta
01-05-2009, 22:32
I'm wanting to hike the Old Settlers Trail. I noticed that Little Greenbrier Rd. is listed as closed seasonally, and this is the closed season. Does anyone know how far down that road you can drive now? Is there anywhere to park?

Rcarver
01-05-2009, 22:42
I have only seen it closed after a bad snow storm moves through. The park website does not have it listed as being closed. I have done Ramsey Cascade trail this time of year before.

Marta
01-05-2009, 22:46
Great.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm

This is the page on the website that says the road is open March-December. I was planning to call the Park tomorrow, but thought someone who lives in the area might know.

Thanks.

SmokyMtn Hiker
01-05-2009, 22:54
Greenbrier Road is only closed in bad weather. The Little Greenbrier Road which is listed on the GSMNP website as being seasonal is in the Elkmont area of the park over by the Metcalf Picnic area.

Rcarver
01-05-2009, 22:55
I must be blind because I don't see Greenbriar road listed on here. I see Little Greenbriar. It is a road near Metcalf Bottoms.

Marta
01-06-2009, 07:55
My mistake. I jumped to the conclusion that the Greenbrier Rd. I need was the "Little Greenbrier" on the list of seasonal closings.

Thanks again!

Rcarver
01-06-2009, 09:50
No problem. Enjoy the hike. If you have never done Old Settlers before, you're in for a treat. I've only done it twice myself. As part of an 8 night trip and part of a 3 day trip. I would highly suggest doing it as part of a 2 night trip. Park 1 car at Greenbriar, then start at Cosby. Stay at #34 the first night then at #33 the second. If you didn't want to take 2 cars, just park at one end and get a quick shuttle.

humunuku
01-06-2009, 13:54
Nice quite part of the park, last weekend I did Baskins creak-grapeyard-Porters creek (camped there) then down porters to brushy MTn - down trillium back to the car at rainbowfalls. I saw very few people. Anyway there were cars up and around greenbriar