PDA

View Full Version : Split from Straight Forward - AMTRAK transportation

partinj
01-05-2009, 13:53
Hi need your help on this one i have a external frame backpack the size is 39" Tall
14" Deep and 24" Wide now i can get make it less wide by puting some stuff in the pack it self. I Leave on my Thur-Hike feb 3 2009 what can i put my pack in to keep it safe under the greyhound. Iwas thinking aboude a bike box also been looking for a use rool around suitecase i seen them big enough to hold the the pack. but new one are like $75.00 that a little much for one time use i plan on just geting rid of
when i get to gainesville ga. i have rode greyhound on long ride before but not with my big pack where l live their is no cab or any thing the onle good thing is they have what call the kelly bus that go to washington dc will drop me off at union train st.
i can walk around to greyhound from their it 3 blocks from union back to the pack
what have you guys done to keep your pack safe
:eek:

Skyline
01-05-2009, 14:03
You could take Amtrak instead of Greyhound and avoid at least some of these issues. Don't check your baggage on Amtrak--just put it in the extra baggage bins at the front of each passenger car (or lower level if a double-decker Superliner). Of course if you spring for the private bedroom or economy sleeper you would just keep your pack in your room.

partinj
01-05-2009, 14:15
amtrak want to much money now days just the rail fare is a $120.00 if you want a small sleeper that plus your rail fare come out to $285.00 way to much for a one way ticket. And they wonden
why no one ride the train now days.

KG4FAM
01-05-2009, 14:26
amtrak want to much money now days just the rail fare is a $120.00 if you want a small sleeper that plus your rail fare come out to $285.00 way to much for a one way ticket. And they wonden
why no one ride the train now days.It costs so much because people are riding the train. Crescent is selling out these days. Before gas prices went up no one rode the train, but gas prices made them rediscover how nice it is and folks are still riding now that gas has gone down.

MOWGLI
01-05-2009, 14:29
It costs so much because people are riding the train.

Nobody rides the train any more. It's too crowded.

Scrapes
01-05-2009, 14:44
Amtrak "the Crescent" $108 from NJ to Gainesville, am I missing hidden costs?

Jorel
01-05-2009, 14:47
Nobody rides the train any more. It's too crowded.
If you can't laugh at that, you have no sense of humor. Good Stuff.

Skyline
01-05-2009, 15:39
why no one ride the train now days.

You mentioned Union Station in Washington DC. The coach fair for one adult on Amtrak's Crescent, from WAS to GSN, is $95. That's before discounts like AAA, military, etc. are applied (generally 10% off). There was availability on 2/9/09 ten minutes ago at that price.

Greyhound's website quotes a 7-day advance purchase for this same itinerary at $103. Much less with 10-day advance, but those seats are limited. Greyhound's routing means you'll be on the bus between 23 and 25 hours more or less depending on the bus. With Amtrak, the schedule calls for 12 hours, 28 minutes.

I agree Amtrak's sleeper rates are probably too high for many thru-hikers' budgets. But coach isn't overpriced, and on Amtrak's long-distance trains the coach seats are more like airlines' first class seats--and they recline very nicely for sleeping.

To the matter of pack security, on a train you can keep an eye on your pack from the comfort of your coach seat so long as you use the spacious luggage shelving at the end of each car. Your pack might even fit in an overhead bin in some coach configurations. I have never found the need to check luggage or a pack on a train--just carry it all onboard. The onboard passengers and crew aren't going to mess with a heavy pack they don't even know how to carry. If your pack is not checked baggage (which would be placed in a separate baggage car or a baggage storage area underneath your coach, accessible from the outside), nothing bad is going to happen to it at stops along the way. If you're concerned it will, just time your meal breaks so you can be in your coach at scheduled stops (there aren't that many, relatively speaking).

There is no need to get off the train to eat or anything else. You can go to the lounge car or dining car. Some of the nicest folks ride trains, and are sociable on board. Trains are more fun!

waywardfool
01-05-2009, 18:36
My wife and I took Amtrak to DC a couple of years ago. On the way back, when we got to Richmond, EVERYBODY in the last two cars, but us, got off. Turned out it was some sort of a tour group, and we the only non-tour people in 2 the back cars of the train. Attendant gave us the choice to move to a more occupied car, or stay where we were...we stayed...he joked with us over the next 4 hours...called us the "Vanderbilts" and our private rail car. :)

All in all, train is a good way to travel. You'll have room for your pack either in the luggage areas at each end of the car, or in the overheads. Seats are comfy and make for a good nap (but keep an eye on your stuff!!). You'll also find outlets...the cars we were in had outlets about every other row of seats. I know (hope) you won't have your laptop :) but is good for a cell phone charge, ipod charge, or whatever.

Lone Wolf
01-05-2009, 21:43
i've taken the Crescent at least 10 tmes from NY to Gainesville. the train is the way to go. you can get up, walk around, go to the bar car, dining car. i always got a single slumber. worth it

waywardfool
01-05-2009, 22:56
One thing to remember with Amtrak...it's a passenger service running on the freight lines' rails. Freight takes precedence. My wife and I went up to DC on separate trains (she a day before I did). My train went right thru, hers was held up for about two hours on a siding waiting for a freight, which had priority.

Skyline
01-06-2009, 00:11
One thing to remember with Amtrak...it's a passenger service running on the freight lines' rails. Freight takes precedence. My wife and I went up to DC on separate trains (she a day before I did). My train went right thru, hers was held up for about two hours on a siding waiting for a freight, which had priority.

Riding Amtrak is much like long-distance hiking. You would do well to be flexible, go with the flow, and enjoy the adventure. When it goes well, train travel is definitely a worthwhile experience. When things don't go as planned, it's beneficial to be able to laugh and make the best of it. That's sometimes done in the bar car. :D

Skyline
01-06-2009, 00:17
i've taken the Crescent at least 10 tmes from NY to Gainesville. the train is the way to go. you can get up, walk around, go to the bar car, dining car. i always got a single slumber. worth it

Yeah! The old "slumbercoaches," which trace their heritage to the NY Central pre-Amtrak, were the Best Kept Secret on Amtrak. Sadly, they've given way to modern and more expensive sleeping compartments. They do have something called an "economy" sleeper which seats two or sleeps two depending on how the "room" is made up, with few other amenities compared to deluxe rooms. But these cost a lot more than the slumbercoaches did, and don't have a sink, toilet, etc.

I miss the slumbercoaches! Only $15 or $20 extra from CHI>NYC, as recently as the mid-1980s.

Panzer1
01-06-2009, 00:51
I see that Air-Tran has a flight from Philadelphia, PA to Atlanta for $176 after tax, non stop, flight time 2hrs 15min. That's not bad. You might have to mail some of your gear down ahead of time, I know that's more money.

Panzer

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 01:29
Yeah! The old "slumbercoaches," which trace their heritage to the NY Central pre-Amtrak, were the Best Kept Secret on Amtrak. Sadly, they've given way to modern and more expensive sleeping compartments. They do have something called an "economy" sleeper which seats two or sleeps two depending on how the "room" is made up, with few other amenities compared to deluxe rooms. But these cost a lot more than the slumbercoaches did, and don't have a sink, toilet, etc.

I miss the slumbercoaches! Only $15 or $20 extra from CHI>NYC, as recently as the mid-1980s.I would take the train up north all the time if they still had slumbercoaches. A coach seat is not a good sleep and roomettes are just too expensive.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 01:34
i always got a "single slumber". had a seat, fold out toilet, and a fold down bunk. was awesome. would sit in the bar car til closing, crawl in the bunk and wake up in georgia

Red Hat
01-06-2009, 10:29
I'd take the train all the time if they ran down here in Texas! You guys along the east coast have it great! I took the train home from Harpers Ferry... through Chicago, St. Louis, and still ended up having to take a bus because trains don't run through Houston. I can get a train in Austin, but it takes another day (and a lot more money) to run all the stops in Texas...

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 10:51
trains don't run through Houstonsunset limited http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Station/Station_Page&code=HOS

Red Hat
01-06-2009, 11:21
yeh, but it's down almost every year when the hurricanes come through, I know, I've tried... You can get the sunset from the east coast to New Orleans, but not often past there.... the rails in Louisianna run over elevated bridges that require constant repair after any kind of storm... I have to take the Texas Eagle from Austin north...

prain4u
01-08-2009, 01:31
SOMETIMES you can find REALLY good bargains on AMTRAK--but you need to know where to look. Go to the AMTRAK website. In the space entitled "Search", type "Rail Sale". You will find several links to sales. Under the link for "Hot Deals and Weekly Specials" you can sometimes find really crazy bargains. The routes that go on sale change frequently (USUALLY weekly). If you are lucky, the route that you need just might be on sale. This week, Chicago to Indianapolis (one way) was just $11.40. Chicago to Detroit (one way) was $21.00. On many regular routes there are also ongoing discounts for Senior Citizens (15%), Children (50%), Students (15%), Veterans (15%), Active Duty Military (10%), AAA members (10%) and members of the National Rail Association of Railroad Passengers (10%). Note: To be eligible for many of these ongoing discounts you have to belong to (or join) certain groups/organizations that have their own membership fees.

KG4FAM
01-08-2009, 12:21
Amtrak is running a Winter Sale right now. 20% off coach seats. Buy the ticket by Jan 21 to travel from Jan 23 to Apr 5.
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Hot_Deals_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1178294251314&ssid=224

dovecote
01-08-2009, 12:41
SOMETIMES you can find REALLY good bargains on AMTRAK--but you need to know where to look. Go to the AMTRAK website. In the space entitled "Search", type "Rail Sale". You will find several links to sales. Under the link for "Hot Deals and Weekly Specials" you can sometimes find really crazy bargains. The routes that go on sale change frequently (USUALLY weekly). If you are lucky, the route that you need just might be on sale. This week, Chicago to Indianapolis (one way) was just $11.40. Chicago to Detroit (one way) was $21.00. On many regular routes there are also ongoing discounts for Senior Citizens (15%), Children (50%), Students (15%), Veterans (15%), Active Duty Military (10%), AAA members (10%) and members of the National Rail Association of Railroad Passengers (10%). Note: To be eligible for many of these ongoing discounts you have to belong to (or join) certain groups/organizations that have their own membership fees.

Amtak recently offered an Online "Winter Sale". The one way coach fare from Washington to Gainesville is $76 (one way to Atlanta is $79). Fares must be booked by January 21 for travel between January 23 to April 5. Only coach fares can be booked online for this sale. For those interested in sleeping accomodations, upon boarding ask the conductor on the availability of a roomette sleeper for the purpose of upgrading. If a roomette is available you will pay a significantly reduced price for the sleeper by paying on board. I am a frequent Amtrak rider and have been successful upgrading on a number of occasions especially during "off season" travel.