PDA

View Full Version : Chef Boyarthruhiker!

Brett
01-06-2009, 00:16
I love to cook at home and use spices on everything. Trying to keep it as simple and yet efficient as possible...i plan on bringing a small container (5inch tall old spice container) each of garlic, cayenne, and a salt and pepper mix. Anybody else bother with a few spices??

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 00:44
I started my hike with a few spices...the typical spice wheel...some green curry powder...powdered coconut milk...a tube of ginger...etc. Eventually, I realized how much space it was taking up. Also, my full spice bag weighed about 8 ounces. I thought about all the other food in my bag and there was nothing else that weighed 8 ounces and wasn't completely gone by the time I got to the next time.

I brought out all the spices so's I could get all Iron-chef with some ramen. Or, maybe we'd have a "squirrel challenge." Turned out that I only ended up using the stuff with salt. Garlic salt. Seasoning Salt. Chipotle bullion with salt.

I did use parmesan and olive oil HEAVILY. Not necessarily spices but they do at least offer some fuel along with the flavor.

Otherwise, I'd stick with the basics. There were a few gourmet hikers but most had the seasonings already bagged with their home freeze-dried meals. Baltimore Jack had a serious spice bag so maybe he has a different perspective.

Brett
01-06-2009, 01:15
while were on the food subject...what kinda meals did you typically make while on the trail? i was figuring ramen noodles being the cheapest, easiest, and most readily available meal...as well as full of carbs.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 02:09
I was sick of Ramens before I even left for the trail. Stupid drunken college years...

Anyway, I brought all those spices hoping I could jazz up some noodles and call it dinner. Wrong. If you don't like something you won't eat it just b/c you think you should. I never could get past the slimy taste of tuna no matter how much I tried to overpower it with chipotle.

A box of mac and cheese...half a bag of dried tortellini...a lipton (or two...or maybe one with a ramen added). Always trying to find foil pouches of chicken to add in at the end. half pounds of angel hair with powdered alfredo sauce and olive oil.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

camojack
01-06-2009, 02:20
I love to cook at home and use spices on everything. Trying to keep it as simple and yet efficient as possible...i plan on bringing a small container (5inch tall old spice container) each of garlic, cayenne, and a salt and pepper mix. Anybody else bother with a few spices??
I take the 4 you mentioned, plus Italian seasoning... :)

Nest
01-06-2009, 03:01
I usually used ramen without the flavor pouch as a filler. I would eat a lipton side with a ramen block and pouch of tuna in sunflower oil. My main spices and add ons were anything hot and cheese. I added cheese to everything. Half a block of cream cheese to a lipton, mac and cheese, chili, etc. Then I would cover it with shredded cheese and let it sit to melt on top. Then sprinkle parmesean cheese on top. If I didn't add cheese I would usually add either crushed red pepper, tobasco sauce, or some habanero powder I got in Gatlinburg. I also would occasionally carry a fresh bulb of garlic with me and crush some up to cook in my meals. Same for diced red and green bell peppers. Dice them up in town and they take up very little room and are very lightweight.

Hikes in Rain
01-06-2009, 06:13
Never hike without my little pepper grinder (http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-067732&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FR1-067732&bhcd2=1231236519). Usually make friends at mealtime by offering a few turns to spice up someone's Mountain House while educating them about real cooking with one pot and an alcohol stove. :sun

I also do add various herbs and/or spices. Food is, to me, quite a comfort and enjoyable pastime while hiking. More than just fuel.

buckwheat
01-06-2009, 06:53

Dude ... simplify (less weight!)

Carry this: Tony Chachere's Famous Creole Seasoning (http://www.cajunspice.com/)

Nothing more is needed.

budforester
01-06-2009, 08:23
Tony's Seasoning for me too, plus Tabasco Sauce. And I like ground cinnamon in/ on some breakfast items.

garlic08
01-06-2009, 09:46
Just a head of raw garlic, it's how I got my name.

Brett
01-06-2009, 10:03
Some of yall have mentioned cheeze...isnt it important to keep that at refrigerator temperature? im not familiar with the weather up there...so i guess the first part of the hike could be cold enough...but summer time??

Lyle
01-06-2009, 11:00
Last May I hiked with a woman who carried a gallon size ziplock of various spices. Used to love it when I ended up cooking around her cause she would always offer her bag to everyone. Seemed she was on a mission to get others to carry spices, so would encourage them to doctor their bland meals. It did help out if you add the right combo.

I've hiked with others who used extensive spices, but I never developed the habit. I don't use a lot at home, so never think to pack them for the trail.

Lyle
01-06-2009, 11:04
Some of yall have mentioned cheeze...isnt it important to keep that at refrigerator temperature? im not familiar with the weather up there...so i guess the first part of the hike could be cold enough...but summer time??

Hard cheese like a sharp cheddar will keep for quite a few days, even at summer temps. Keep it tightly wrapped, and pack it in the center of the pack where it will be protected from the hot sun. I have had it occasionally mold a little, but just cut the mold off and keep eating - no harm done. It will also sweat, and may appear "slimy", if that bothers you, just rinse it off with some water and keep eating.

The best cheese to buy would be the cylinders that are wax covered, then just cut from one end, peeling the wax as you use it. That way, only the cut end will mold or sweat.

Grated Parmesan will last forever if you keep it dry. All the while growing up, we never bothered to refrigerate it, just kept it on a shelf in a cupboard.

Captain
01-06-2009, 11:13
those Zatarans microwaveable pouches, add some hot sauce , clove of garlic and a bit of pepper mash it all up then put it in your pot and add just enough water to cover the top of the rice, boil for about 10 minutes.

p.s. you are not allowed to call yourself a hiker if you dont scrounge for the garlic clove and eat that first, also to keep it from sticking and burning had to give it a good stir,shake every minute , time intensive but worth the meal

Red Hat
01-06-2009, 11:18
In 05 Spicerack carried a bunch of spices, duh, the name... cool kid...

Feral Bill
01-06-2009, 12:54
A tiny sample sized botttle of Tabasco is always nice.

Nest
01-06-2009, 14:24

Pepperjack, mild cheddar, and grated parmesean were always in my pack. As mentioned, they would sweat but no big deal. They didn't last long enough for them to mold on me. Cream cheese is a little more finicky though. I liked to buy the smaller packs wrapped in foil then in plastic. One pack is 3 oz I think and it would go into an entire meal. So I didn't have any opened cream cheese in my pack. I usually used it on my first or second night from town.

I also remembered that I would occasionally buy a single stick of real butter. Keep it in a ziplock and it will be fine. Doesn't go bad without refrigerating so you can take your time using it. Just make sure you keep it clean. The butter itself doesn't go bad. It's food particles that gets stuck in it that might spoil it.

Blissful
01-06-2009, 14:24
I think that's a fine idea to take some spices. Trail food gets old quick and this makes it more interesting. My hubby loves his spices too. Bon appetit.

wannahike
01-06-2009, 16:01
[quote=Johnny Thunder;752087]I started my hike with a few spices...Turned out that I only ended up using the stuff with salt. Garlic salt. Seasoning Salt. Chipotle bullion with salt.

Where do you get chipotle bullion? Make it, buy it?
Thanks

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 16:41
Both of my folks were food scientist at Lipton until they retired this summer. So, I had access to a number of things that weren't sold in the US or on the East Coast (where you'd be doing resupply). I think the Chipotle Bullion was a South Western and/or a South American regional product. Not sure.

I also had garlic, and onion bullions sold in the same series.

The chipotle things were cool but I found that you can use salt and some chipotle powder to the same effect...but, they're better to use at the end of your cook since aromatics often loose their taste when boiled.

Banjo did surprise me by finding the chipotles in one of her resupplies. I guess someone had picked them up at a BJ's or Costco in Maine.

Farr Away
01-06-2009, 17:07
Yes, spices. No, I wouldn't carry them in the 5 inch bottles.