PDA

View Full Version : Some days the bear eats you...

IceAge
01-06-2009, 11:25
..and on others you eat the bear!

A friend of mine gave me a black bear roast this weekend. It's about 4lbs. Anyone got any good bear recipes? I was thinking about maybe making chili with it, but am willing to entertain other options.

Note: if you are thinking of posting in this thread about how horrible it is to eat a poor cuddly old beary-bear, save your fingers the workout.

Tipi Walter
01-06-2009, 11:27
Who the heck eats meat anyway??

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 11:29
indians

mudcap
01-06-2009, 11:35
I would cook it like you would a beef roast,its some good eating. I cook it slow with carrots,onion and celery with just a little liquid in the pan. If you have a pressure cooker it works great with bear,super tender and moist.

snowhoe
01-06-2009, 11:37
Me and I love bear. When I was in Redout Bay Alaska 2 years ago the lodge where we were staying made bear and moose goolosh. It was so good. After all day flyfishing for salmon it was just what the doc ordered. I will have to say if you ever get a chance to see a bear skinned it kinda looks like a human, kinda freaky.

dradius
01-06-2009, 11:38
eat it raw, like every other meat eating animal does.

JAK
01-06-2009, 11:42
Really interesting right up on a traditional bear feast in this book...

You can actually download it and read it online. It's a great book.
http://www.archive.org/details/lifesportonnorth00comerich

The common black bear is looked upon, by most people in Canada, as a very dangerous animal. This dread is even shared by our Indians, and when bears are spoken of it is always with great respect. In fact, the name is seldom mentioned, but the bear is referred to as "the black beast" or simply "the animal/' When caught in a steel trap or seen at a distance, he is spoken to and asked that vengeance be not taken for his death. Even the bones are held in respect. They are never thrown to the dogs like other refuse, but placed in the fire and burned. The skulls are hung up in a tree. Some parts of the animal, like the paws and head, are never allowed to be eaten by women or children. These last if by some accident they eat any meat from the paws,
are supposed to be liable to suffer all their lives from cold feet. At certain times bear feasts used to be held, at which no women were allowed to be present, and special wigwams were built wherein to hold the feast. At these feasts nothing else but bear's meat was allowed to be eaten. This was prepared in various ways ; either roasted on the spit, boiled or stewed. Blood pudding, fat pudding, and pure fat of the bear are other dishes prepared from parts of the animal. "Fat pudding" is prepared in this way: About three or four feet of the large intestine is cut off with all the fat adhering to it. A ramrod or thin stick of suitable size is then inserted in the gut, and one end tied to it. It is then pulled inside out and cleaned. Berries are sometimes stuffed inside with the fat. The ends are then tied, and the gut put to boil for about an hour and then laid aside to cool, as it is always eaten cold. It is served up in its full length on a birch bark platter, and each guest cuts off with his knife whatever length he is able to manage; the more he can stow away the greater being the honor he is paying to his host.

Being in luck one day, I chanced to supply the necessary viands for a feast in the shape of two bears, and of course had to be invited. Outside of the Hudson's Bay Company's agents, few whites have ever had that honor. Some of the hunters were away, so that the gathering was not a large one, some fourteen or fifteen guests being present. A long strip of white cotton serv-
ed as a table cloth. This was laid down on the balsam branches, fresh cut for the occasion. A plate and knife and some thin sheets of birch bark were laid before each person, but no fork or spoon. When necessary to take a piece of meat out of the platter, a wooden skewer was used. This, as well as the only ladle allowed, was made out of the mountain ash, the bear's favorite tree. For some reason that I could not find out no one sat at what we would call the head or foot of the table. The two oldest men sat opposite each other at one end, and after that, towards the foot, each guest according to his age or rank as a hunter. Every one being seated the first course was served. A large bowl of hot bear's grease took the place of soup. In this was the wooden ladle. The bowl was set before the chief; after helping himself and sipping from the ladle what quantity he chose, the bowl and ladle was passed on to the next man in rank, and so on to the end of the table. If there was a mighty hunter I should rather say eater able to distinguish himself by drinking three or four ladlesful of the fat, it was always greeted with a round of applause. The first course through, the bowl was laid on the middle of the table and the ladle taken away. The second course was the bear's neck and head roasted on the spit, and the spit left in it, as it served to pass it around to each guest. It was stuck in front of the chief, who made a sort of address to it. He boasted of the bear's strength and abilities as a tree climber, and of its powers of endurance as a faster referring to its hibernations and paid it all the other compliments he could think of. The end of the spit was then raised and a piece bitten out or torn with the fingers, as no knife must touch this sacred piece de resistance. Like the bowl of fat it went around, and each one had to take a small piece or a bite as he fancied, but no one was allowed to take more. What was left was then put into the fire and burned for the absent ones, the deceased hunters. After this second course each guest was free to help himself and eat whatever quantity he chose of roast, boiled,
stewed or pudding. Very little conversation was carried on during the feast. The diners were not there to " palaver," but for business, and any
special gastronomic feat performed was sure to meet with general approval. After every one had eaten till he could stand no more, the bowl of fat was placed in front of the chief a second time. With his two hands open he dipped his palms in the fat, and then smeared his long hair with it, every guest following suit. Was this the origin of the use of bear's grease for the hair ?

Thus ended the feast. Pipes and strong black plug tobacco were then brought forth and everyone who smoked enjoyed himself. What was left was quickly taken away by the women for their meal, and the small bones were thrown into the fire. As soon as the cloth was removed there was a general stretching out of the diners on the ground all round. Had I not been familiar with these feasts I should have expected an invitation to a funeral shortly afterwards, but nothing out of the ordinary happened. Through the efforts
of the missionaries these superstitious rites and customs have been partially abolished on the coast, but they are carried on just the same as soon as the Indians go inland for the hunt. Similar feasts are also held in honor of the caribou and the beaver, and also for birds, such as geese and loons. I have never heard of a fish feast in this section. In honor of whatever animal or bird, the feast is held, no other kind of meat figures, and provision is always made to have more than will be eaten. They will actually starve themselves for a time in order to collect the required quantity.

Some years ago I sold a No. 5 bear trap....

the chapter continues at length with more Bear Stories

IceAge
01-06-2009, 11:44
I have been known to eat a slice of raw venison every now and then, but apparently that isn't safe with bear.

I do have a pressure cooker, I might have to investigate your idea mudcap!

Fiddleback
01-06-2009, 11:44
Many, if not most, of the North American cases of trichinosis result from eating bear meat.

Cook it well.

FB

Tipi Walter
01-06-2009, 11:51
Many, if not most, of the North American cases of trichinosis result from eating bear meat.

Cook it well.

FB

Why bother? Rice and beans. Some cheese. Keep it simple. Who needs meat?

Red Hat
01-06-2009, 11:52
Slow cooker, lots of spices (esp garlic), water, cook for several hours, then add some chopped onions, potatoes, and carrots. Cook another couple of hours... enjoy... I just did a deer roast that way and it was great!

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 11:54
Some cheese. Keep it simple. Who needs meat?

hypocrite. no cheese either then

IceAge
01-06-2009, 11:55
I already have the roast in my freezer, Tipi, would it be better for the bear if I just threw it in the trash?

Tipi Walter
01-06-2009, 11:59
hypocrite. no cheese either then

Cheese ain't meat.

I already have the roast in my freezer, Tipi, would it be better for the bear if I just threw it in the trash?

Give it to the malamute.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 12:08
Cheese ain't meat.

Give it to the malamute.

you ever put skins on your tipi? or did you use tyvek? i guess the indians just used the buff hides and left the meat. didn't need it

JAK
01-06-2009, 12:21
I don't think eating meat is such a bad thing in itself, though we should be concerned with how we go about it, and the impact on natural habitat, land use, energy and resources. Something like 20% of energy use in North America is food production. I think a certain number of bears need to be hunted, and what gets hunted should get eaten, though most of it doesn't. We should protect and manage out natural resources wisely. Traditionally, that means eating bears now and then. Ideally, it would be done more locally and traditionally, for food and fur, not blood sport.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 12:31
Some cheese.

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/packer.jpg

Alligator
01-06-2009, 12:51
He asked for bear recipes, please get back on topic.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 13:04
Ketchup, Mayonnaise, lightly grilled - spinach wrap.

JAK
01-06-2009, 13:08
There is this site...
http://www.bowhunts.com/recipe_bear.html

But if it was me I would follow the tradition of not mixing any other meat or serving any other meat with the bear meat. I would trim as much fat as I could, but I would try and do something with it. I might try and use local seasonings, and some mountain ash berries. I might stew some of it, and roast some of it, and see which was better. Have a great feast.

IceAge
01-06-2009, 13:15
Thanks JAK, I like the idea of honoring the bear with a feast. I have some Juniper berries, which are supposed to go well with game, but have never had the occasion to try them with venison. Maybe it's time to try them with bear.

mudcap
01-06-2009, 13:45
I also make jerky and sticks(like slim jims),good stuff. When I pressure cook it I make small slits in it and stick garlic cloves in the slits. Gives it great flavor without overpowering it. French onion soup in the pressure cooker or even a slow cooker makes for a great sauce, or thicken for gravy. Bear is actually quite versatile when it comes to cooking. Bear roast sandwiches are my favorite when I am ice-fishing,this thread is making me hungry.Enjoy the harvest.

Bucky Katt
01-06-2009, 14:06
I enjoyed bear in a homemade veggie stew....I don't recall having it cooked any other way. It was really good though!

JAK
01-06-2009, 14:24
When it comes to game I've always been most partial to stew, but its all good. I am getting hungry also. As game goes, I've only had hare, partridge, duck, moose, deer, and caribou, and not much of each. Only the partride I dispatched myself. For a guy that loves the woods and game I would have to consider myself the world's worst hunter, and I achieved this distinction completely self-taught. I will work at it some more this winter, as I am going to take another shot at snaring rabbits. We saw one on our hike Sunday, in Rockwood Park. We call them rabbits but they are snowshoe hares, also called varying hares, but nobody I know actually calls them that. It was all white, and in the park they always seem very tame. It's in the city but its pretty much a wilderness park, but when I try setting snares I do that across the river. It's mostly a learning thing. Bears will have to wait a few more years. I'm sure they're all quaking in their dens. lol

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 14:34
Rub the roast with a good quality rub. I like Billy Bones Beef Master or Bad Byron's Butt Rubb. Let the roast sit covered in the fridge for about 3-4 hours. Smoke in a smoker with hickory or maple wood at 200 degrees for about 8 hours. The meat should have an internal temperature of at least 175 degrees. Let rest about 5 minutes before carving.

Mrs Baggins
01-06-2009, 14:44
I know that for myself, I prefer game meat in sausages - all those spices kinda cover the "gamey" taste of a lot of meats. I've had venison, buffalo, elk, reindeer, moose, and caribou as steaks and as sausages. The sausages were definitely better, but that's just me. I've also had kangaroo but that was in thin slices on pizza. I imagine making heartily seasoned stews out of the meat would also make it yummy, I just haven't had it that way.

I've also had, and love, goose, duck, quail, pheasant and freshly killed goat and lamb - all just seasoned and roasted, some in the oven, some over fire. mmmmmmmm!

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 14:46
I know that for myself, I prefer game meat in sausages - all those spices kinda cover the "gamey" taste of a lot of meats. I've had venison, buffalo, elk, reindeer, moose, and caribou as steaks and as sausages. The sausages were definitely better, but that's just me. I've also had kangaroo but that was in thin slices on pizza. I imagine making heartily seasoned stews out of the meat would also make it yummy, I just haven't had it that way.

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this one. . . :)

Bulldawg
01-06-2009, 14:46
To remove the gamey taste out of any wild game do two things. One, make sure the animal is well bleed at the time of processing. All domesticated beef is bleed for 2-7 days before cutting begins, sometimes longer. Two, soak the meat in a salted milk solution for 24 hours. I can prepare game this way and sneak it by my wife any day of the week. She does not know the difference.

Frau
01-06-2009, 14:50
Nessmuk makes a pulled bar-be-que out of what bear comes his way. You can use whatever bbq recipe you like.

Fr.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2009, 14:58
When I used to load watermelons in the FL sun, we used to be concerned about someone getting "bear caught". That ol' bear's gonna get you.

take-a-knee
01-06-2009, 14:59
Get a sizeable pot, 4# is a large roast. Pour enough olive oil in the bottom to cover and turn the heat up. Grate about one-half of an onion (I keep mine in the freezer), preferably a Vidalia and let it cook until the onion gets clear. Cut the roast into two-inch cubes and make sure the heat is high enough to sear it. Move it around and flip it over and sear all sides of all pieces. Liberally sprinkle the meat with the following:

Paprika
Dry Mustard
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Salt and pepper

Then add 1.5 cups of water with a beef bullion cube dissolved in it. Make sure it is enough to cover the meat, if not add fluid.

Place the whole affair into an oven (300F-325F) or a crock pot set high enough for a "gentle" boil. Let this cook for two hours or so, then add any or all of the following as you desire:

Stewed tomatoes (the Italian seasoned are my pick)
Diced potatoes
Carrots

These veggies take about an hour to an hour and a half to cook, so you are looking at 3.5 to 4 hrs total cook time. Check the meat and veggies at 3.5hr for doneness and adjust fire from there.

You can also add muchrooms squash or zucchini at the end but these cook fast than the other veggies so play that by ear.

Serve with a little brown rice and green beans or a salad.

JAK
01-06-2009, 15:02
There was an old friend of the family, from Perth-Andover, that made his mincemeat pies with venison. Lucky enough just to get meat in mincemeat these days, never mind venison.

It's funny that many that seek the gamey taste don't get much of it, and those that get much of it find some way to reduce it. There is a hermit on Mather's Island that makes his rabbit stew with 1 wild rabbit and 2 rabbits he's raised domestically. I am not sure if that is so much to reduce the gamey taste so much as it is to add fat to his diet and still get some of the gamey flavour. I'm still clearly in the can't get enough game camp, and would eat a cat if it was left outside for a couple of nights.

IceAge
01-06-2009, 16:07
To remove the gamey taste out of any wild game do two things. One, make sure the animal is well bleed at the time of processing. All domesticated beef is bleed for 2-7 days before cutting begins, sometimes longer. Two, soak the meat in a salted milk solution for 24 hours. I can prepare game this way and sneak it by my wife any day of the week. She does not know the difference.

It also helps to remove all of the tallow and silverskin from the meat. I butcher all my own venison and have never had anyone complain that it is "gamey". None of it goes into sausage, the small scraps get saved for stir-fry!

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 17:13
I would go with a stew or chili with the bear meat being so greasy.

snowhoe
01-07-2009, 00:56
Iceage I do the same thing. The silverskin is the part that makes the meat taste gamey. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this.

JAK
01-07-2009, 02:06
I always learn alot from these sorts of threads. Now I'll just have to go out and put some of it to use, snaring rabbits for a start. Perhaps I'll even hunt down me down the Magestic Grey Squirrel, Prince of the Eastern Woodlands. :)

stargazer0311
01-11-2009, 17:02
I am a trained chef and the best way to treat bear is like you would for wild boar, or pork but if you cant find any good recipes let me know and ill email you some really good ones we use at the resturant for wild boar....thanks

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2009, 01:09
http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/packer.jpg

The face makeup of the Packers "G" is backwards.

daddytwosticks
01-30-2009, 08:43
So is the number on my jersey...plus now I wear eye glasses. :)

Kanati
01-31-2009, 00:05
Us carnivores get to chase em down. That's fun. Then we get to plan and anticipate how good its going to be while we are dressing them. That's fun to. Then we get to stack it in the freezer and think of how much good meat we have. That's fun to. Then we get to share all of the life sustaining protein, (quote from TN) with our family and friends. That's fun to. Then we give our faithful canine companions the scraps, bones, etc. That's fun to. They love it and need it. Then we get to mount the trophy and hang it on the wall. That's fun to, until you get more in the living room than your wife thinks you ought to have. That's not fun when she makes you take one down.
And the best part, you get to eat it and relive the hunt and great companionship with your hunting buddies.

I know the question was about how to cook bear and I like the answers. I had some once cooked like a beef or pork roast and it was delicious. In case you're interested here's one of my favorite ways of fixing venison and will make 4 large chopped steaks.

Dice up a medium size vidalia onion. In the absence of vidalia, any onion will work.

Make 4 ground venison patties using about 8 ounces of meat for each. These should be about 3/4" thick. The onion gets mixed up inside the
meat before you make the patty.

Wrap the patties with thick slice bacon.

Rub black pepper into each side of the patty and the bacon.

Place the 4 patties into a gallon freezer bag.

Pour about 3 ounces of Alegro marinade into the bag and seal.

Place in frig for 4 hours. Turn the bag over about once per hour so the marinade will get on all sides of the meat.

Next, fire off the grill. I use Kingsford charcoal, but you can use what you normally use. When your grill is white hot, lay the patties on it and sear both sides very quickly so that the juices are locked inside. Sounds good don't it?? After you have seared both sides, continue to cook, turning the meat over about once every 60 seconds until it reaches your desired state of doneness. My favorite for venison is hot pink in the center.

We usually have ours with a baked white potatoe, garden salad and baked beans.

Folks, if you try this and don't like it, then you qualify as a vegan.

mkmangold
01-31-2009, 15:30
Ice Age: I'm sorry I didn't notice this thread until today. I assume you've eaten the bear meat by now. Next time you are blessed with a gift of free bear meat, let me know. I have a book I can get to you called "Eat Like a Wild Man" which has, amongst recipes for every wild game animal you can imagine, 5 recipes for bear meat.
I agree though that it should be cooked to get rid of parasites and bacteria. Personally, I like mine still twitchin'.