PDA

View Full Version : Hike Naked Day??

Brett
01-06-2009, 12:18
I Learned about the AT thru hikes in Backpacking magazine. It had a small note about a hike naked day on the first day of summer. didnt give much detail. any knowledge, experience, or opinions on this?? If its not something frowned upon by the majority id love to do it!:banana

skinewmexico
01-06-2009, 12:21
Ick.

Pedaling Fool
01-06-2009, 12:28
I've never seen a poll conducted on this, but it is a pretty devisive issue. I imagine if more hot babes participated it probably garner more support.

JAK
01-06-2009, 12:28
It's better not to make such a big deal out of such things.
If you really wan't to go natual, keep it natural.

garlic08
01-06-2009, 12:32
I was way ahead of "the pack" on hike naked day last year, up in VT, and it was a cool, windy, overcast day. Still, I saw two naked hikers. One was OK, the other (an obese section hiker) put me off my feed.

I heard that the actual solstice last year was on June 20, not on the 21st as it usually is, because it was a leap year. Not everyone knew that (I didn't until I saw a naked person on the 20th), so there were, in effect, two hike naked days.

I don't think it's frowned upon by the majority, but you should be considerate near crowded trailheads, shelters, anywhere you might see non-thruhikers. Also, it's probably illegal in most states and communities, something to keep in mind. And you should probably know when exactly the solstice is.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 12:35
Everyday is hike naked day if you're in a place where others sensibilities are taken into consideration. Not too difficult on the trail.
Summits are especially fun.
Hike Naked. When it's cool. You'll figure it out.:sun:sun

nufsaid
01-06-2009, 12:56
If you are not a female in great shape just spare everyone else.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 13:02
If you are not a female in great shape just spare everyone else.
And mysogeny rears it's head

Frau
01-06-2009, 13:26
Amen.

Frau

Pickleodeon
01-06-2009, 13:30
The article Law for Backpackers 101 posted by The Weasel brings up the topic of mooning/indecency..

"All states1and most towns/cities and counties have laws or
ordinances prohibiting public nudity and/or public sexual activity as
“indecent exposure” or “public lewdness” or similar terms. Small towns
and rural areas are particularly emphatic about enforcing such laws,
especially involving those from other areas such as hikers.

“Megan’s Laws” are state laws which seek to protect children, in
particular, from sexual predators, by making it difficult for people
convicted of sexual offenses to be in any proximity to children. This
may include those who have been found guilty of indecent
exposure or public lewdness.

This is serious stuff: A person ticketed for a prank of hiking nude
on “National Nude Backpacker’s Day” (the summer solstice) or for
“mooning” the “Cog Railroad” (in 2007, several hikers were ticketed
for “mooning” the “Cog”) may pay a small fine and think that is the
end of it until, some time later, they are stopped for a traffic problem.
A police officer checking (as always happens) the “LEIN” (“Law
Enforcement Information Network”, a national computer database of
virtually every criminal conviction, accessible from patrol cars) will
very possibly see a sex offense – public indecency – but no “sex
offender registration.” The hiker might be arrested and charged with a
violation of Megan’s Law. Even if the charge were later plea bargained
to prevent prison time, the hiker would be forced to register, with all
that entails, for 10 years or, perhaps, for the rest of their life."

I am not one to be "modest". But after reading the article, it made me wonder if it's worth it, especailly considering I will be a teacher when returning from trail life.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21654 the article is a PDF. Left hand side.

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 14:58
mysogeny
who taught you that word??

nufsaid
01-06-2009, 15:05
And mysogeny rears it's head

A big word coming from a feeble mind? You can call me all the names you want, but I don't want to see your wrinkled sack swinging down the trail. That goes for sagging breasts also. Just keep them to yourself.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 15:06
who taught you that word??
It's a staple to the literate. . .

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 15:07
A big word coming from a feeble mind? You can call me all the names you want, but I don't want to see your wrinkled sack swinging down the trail. That goes for sagging breasts also. Just keep them to yourself.
Yikes. . . . issues . . . . . .:-?

JAK
01-06-2009, 15:12
When doing anything in a naked state, it's best to avoid society.

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 15:12
You da man!!!

JAK
01-06-2009, 15:14
When doing anything in a naked state, it's best to avoid society.The reverse is not always the case. lol

nufsaid
01-06-2009, 15:15
Yikes. . . . issues . . . . . .:-?

A little touchy, don't you think. Does that mean you have a wrinkled sack and sagging breasts? Just keep em covered and nobody will care. Just remember a lot of people don't approve of others exposing themselves in public.

gravityman
01-06-2009, 15:17

Of course it's spelled wrong, which makes this comment even funnier!

Alligator
01-06-2009, 15:18
Tone down the personal attacks please.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 15:19
Of course it's spelled wrong, which makes this comment even funnier!
I know. . . I always screw that one up:mad::p

Of course with proper spelling variations it can be easy to mess up misogeny, mysogyny, misogyny.

JAK
01-06-2009, 15:19
Best to avoid the public when hiking.
Clothing is then optional, though still preferred.

Gray Blazer
01-06-2009, 15:24
Tone down the personal attacks please.
Yeah, stop belittling my sagging sacks and wrinkled breasteses.

Here's a word for Warghy.......Bigamist-an Italian fog.

Spogatz
01-06-2009, 15:25
I don't think it is so much mysogyny as it is misanthropy in general. Just plain ole hate of the nekid human form. After a while on the trail nobody wants to see that.... Where do you think bigfoot legends come from?

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 15:26
I Learned about the AT thru hikes in Backpacking magazine. It had a small note about a hike naked day on the first day of summer. didnt give much detail. any knowledge, experience, or opinions on this?? If its not something frowned upon by the majority id love to do it!:banana

a real dumb, sheeple-like thing to do. keep your shorts on. really

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 15:27
Also good advice. . . .

JAK
01-06-2009, 15:31
The latest trend up here is avoiding them.

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 15:37

If you do it only on Naked Hiking Day, maybe. I do it whenever the mood strikes. Not gonna try and convince anyone of its propriety but I enjoy it and so I do it.

I keep shorts handy and have never, not once, have I run into anyone while in a state of undress. You tend to hear people before you see them out there giving one ample opportunity to get modest.

And if, by chance, you do run into me in a state of undress and you don't wanna see my "shriveled sack" as it was so poetically put, DON'T LOOK. Whatcha doin' lookin' if your not interested in what it looks like?

Hike naked whenever you damn well please. Just be reasonable and respectful of others. Except the overly Puritanical. Needle them at will.

Brett
01-06-2009, 15:50
ahhhhahaha...such diverse opinions. I fully understand both. But the opinions of those not wanting to see old man balls and roll em up boobies are coming off a lil aggressive. Does seem a little like Misogyny or Misanthropy as another put it. I dont think the Apocolypse will begin if the jaybirds get ONE day to bare some skin. I praise those brave enough to do it, having enough confidence in your true self to walk around naked no matter what you look like. Granted yes not everyone looks good naked, but as also mentioned YOU DONT HAVE TO LOOK. One day out of say 6 months isnt exactly asking alot.

Besides...from what ive read there seems to be much bigger annoyances to deal with every day from hikers....loud mouths at camp sites or shelters, didnt pack correctly so they try and mooch off you, idiots in general....im sure the experienced hikers could list plenty more.

As for any legal issues with law enforcement, hey every man/woman for themself right?

Brett
01-06-2009, 15:53
Where do you think bigfoot legends come from?

Bigfoot gets to hike naked everyday! I want my rights!!! jk.

HYOH
01-06-2009, 16:13

I tried hiking naked once but I kept tripping over myself.:o

Christus Cowboy
01-06-2009, 16:48
....And if, by chance, you do run into me in a state of undress and you don't wanna see my "shriveled sack" as it was so poetically put, DON'T LOOK. Whatcha doin' lookin' if your not interested in what it looks like?

Hike naked whenever you damn well please. Just be reasonable and respectful of others. Except the overly Puritanical. Needle them at will.

I find it interesting the recommendation here is "not to look" when one must see the individual before a determination can be made not to look....

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 16:50
for those repressed people ashamed of the human body,their own or others,celebrating the summer solstice in this manor should be punishable by fines, jail time and worse. To more enlightened hikers its simply a fun carefree way of celebrating the trail, nature and the summer season. I would recommend slipping on some shorts at busy road crossings though. God forbid a child should see a blur of a naked body while passing by at 60mph rather than at home on TV or the internet. The thing to remember is that its not about sex. Still to some, if they hear the words "hike naked day" or "nude beach" they mount their high horses and cast down judgement while picturing wild orgies taking place.

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 16:55
I find it interesting the recommendation here is "not to look" when one must see the individual before a determination can be made not to look....

Do you really need to see the "package" before ascertaining if someone is naked or not? If so, I recommend a trip to your eye doctor. If not, pick a different point to check out.

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 16:59
Do you really need to see the "package" before ascertaining if someone is naked or not? If so, I recommend a trip to your eye doctor. If not, pick a different point to check out.
Guess it all depends on the package

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 17:00
you must have really long hair

Brett
01-06-2009, 17:06
this is turning into a good comic relief.

OldStormcrow
01-06-2009, 17:31
The article Law for Backpackers 101 posted by The Weasel brings up the topic of mooning/indecency..

"All states

1and most towns/cities and counties have laws or

ordinances prohibiting public nudity and/or public sexual activity as
“indecent exposure” or “public lewdness” or similar terms. Small towns
and rural areas are particularly emphatic about enforcing such laws,
especially involving those from other areas such as hikers.

“Megan’s Laws” are state laws which seek to protect children, in
particular, from sexual predators, by making it difficult for people
convicted of sexual offenses to be in any proximity to children. This
may include those who have been found guilty of indecent
exposure or public lewdness.

This is serious stuff: A person ticketed for a prank of hiking nude
on “National Nude Backpacker’s Day” (the summer solstice) or for
“mooning” the “Cog Railroad” (in 2007, several hikers were ticketed
for “mooning” the “Cog”) may pay a small fine and think that is the
A police officer checking (as always happens) the “LEIN” (“Law
Enforcement Information Network”, a national computer database of
virtually every criminal conviction, accessible from patrol cars) will
very possibly see a sex offense – public indecency – but no “sex
offender registration.” The hiker might be arrested and charged with a
violation of Megan’s Law. Even if the charge were later plea bargained
to prevent prison time, the hiker would be forced to register, with all

I am not one to be "modest". But after reading the article, it made me wonder if it's worth it, especailly considering I will be a teacher when returning from trail life.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21654 the article is a PDF. Left hand side.

I guess this thread pops up every couple of months on here with the same misinformation. Public nudity is not allowed in city parks, state parks, state forests, national parks, national monuments, etc. Public nudity is NOT illegal in the national forests.....check the laws. That being said, it is always nice to stop and listen before reaching road crossings or trail heads so as to avoid embarassing some poor family. I always find it amusing that Americans find the sight of a (any) nude human body offensive or snicker like 2nd graders over the very idea, but parents don't hesitate a second when it comes to letting their kids watch all of Freddie Krueger's slashing and such.

Rockhound
01-06-2009, 17:33
no hiking poles jokes yet?

HYOH
01-06-2009, 17:53
you must have really long hair

No, It was my foot .

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 18:04
It's so chilly outside-31 degrees and you had to bring this up? What were you thinking? besides its so "ho humm" I went to a nude beach years ago as a teenager, except for one wonderful female teen surfing, it was all saggy boobys and fat old men with noass at all. It was then I discovered how to tell the fake boobys from the real ones. Fake ones are still up when you are lying down! What a funny memory. Don't forget your sunscreen.

Brett
01-06-2009, 18:15
I always find it amusing that Americans find the sight of a (any) nude human body offensive or snicker like 2nd graders over the very idea, but parents don't hesitate a second when it comes to letting their kids watch all of Freddie Krueger's slashing and such.
[/left]

Agreed! Im born and raised in this country and love it. But it is a little ridiculous sometimes the thinkings of people.

IMHO This is what i associate with the word nudity (mostly to leastly)

Freedom, Stress-free, Honesty, Happiness, Peace, then Sex and on down the road to every other sinful thing you could relate to a nekkid person :sun

"So a guy walks into a shelter with 3 Hiking Poles right...":D

mtnkngxt
01-06-2009, 18:26
Do us all a favor and keep you panties on literally.

Jim Adams
01-06-2009, 18:54
Feet too big?:D

geek

Blue Jay
01-06-2009, 19:16
Just remember a lot of people don't approve of others exposing themselves in public.

Also a lot of people could care less what other people approve of.

Brett
01-06-2009, 19:38
Also a lot of people could care less what other people approve of.

Amen Blue Jay.... I dont wanna be too much of an A-hole though lol

Frosty
01-06-2009, 21:04
Hike naked whenever you damn well please. Just be reasonable and respectful of others.
"whenever you damn well please" and "be respectful of others" don't go together any better does than a public place and your nutsack which you describe as shriveled.

There are great places to be nude, and places not to be. Public is a not to be place.

Before someone comes up with the "natural" argument, just because it is natural does not mean it is okay to do anywhere "you damn well please," like in public. If you stop to think a minute, there are a lot of natural things you would be advised not to do in public.

But the biggest problem with Hike Naked Day is that the only people who should be hiking naked aren't, and the only ones who are shouldn't be.

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 21:30
"whenever you damn well please" and "be respectful of others" don't go together any better does than a public place and your nutsack which you describe as shriveled.

There are great places to be nude, and places not to be. Public is a not to be place.

Before someone comes up with the "natural" argument, just because it is natural does not mean it is okay to do anywhere "you damn well please," like in public. If you stop to think a minute, there are a lot of natural things you would be advised not to do in public.

But the biggest problem with Hike Naked Day is that the only people who should be hiking naked aren't, and the only ones who are shouldn't be.

Well, you just shot you argument all to hell. So only the pretty people get to hike naked. Gotcha.

Whenever you damn well please and being respectful of others are not mutually exclusive. Some of are pleased to respect people while doing what we want at every opportunity when it is not disrespecting another's rational wishes. Like I said, I have never had a problem in reality so I am not so sure why you have in theory.

But it is great to know ugly people are afforded less rights in your world, one I might add, where you seem to have no problem telling others what to do.

Finally, did you even read the thread? I did not refer to my nutsack as shriveled, I referenced someone else post where they referred to it that way. Next time, read what you have written to make sure what you say makes any sense. It was just reactionary puritanical crap that, of course, makes no sense because it is just that, reactionary, puritanical and crap.

Hike naked everyone, regardless of how society deems your attractiveness! :banana

JAK
01-06-2009, 21:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvl9YT9HmA4

Gray Blazer
01-06-2009, 22:14
It's so chilly outside-31 degrees and you had to bring this up? What were you thinking? besides its so "ho humm" I went to a nude beach years ago as a teenager, except for one wonderful female teen surfing, it was all saggy boobys and fat old men with noass at all. It was then I discovered how to tell the fake boobys from the real ones. Fake ones are still up when you are lying down! What a funny memory. Don't forget your sunscreen.

It's no wonder they call you the Wise Old Owl.

nufsaid
01-06-2009, 22:25
Amen Blue Jay.... I dont wanna be too much of an A-hole though lol

Too late.

Brett
01-06-2009, 22:31
LOL...ok maybe i shoulda just not said anything in the first place! No need for all the hostility between opposite sides people! I certainly wont be hiking anywhere in public naked. Nor would i through a group of clothed people, especially if its a family group that possibly has kids...Im it will be a day of decision...whos with me? where ill be hiking through? how good/awful of a site i would be at that point? lol sorry for spreading a wild fire :)

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 22:31
Too late. Don't think so. You're doin' fine Brett. Good luck this year.

MOWGLI
01-06-2009, 22:35
No need for all the hostility between opposite sides people!

:welcome to Whiteblaze!

Brett
01-06-2009, 22:35
Don't think so. You're doin' fine Brett. Good luck this year.

yeah...i get amused when some try to be a bigger a hole than me :)

I just dont let it get to serious and always let one know im really messing with them, instead of trying to hard at the Ahole game like others.:p

Frosty
01-06-2009, 22:36
lots of vitriol, ending with:

Next time, read what you have written to make sure what you say makes any sense. It was just reactionary puritanical crap that, of course, makes no sense because it is just that, reactionary, puritanical and crap.

Hike naked everyone, regardless of how society deems your attractiveness! :banana Did you have too much caffeine or are you in a bad mood because you sat on your shriveled you-know-what again?

But I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this going around naked in public stuff. If you truly believe it is okay to run around nekkid, go down to your local courthouse tomorrow and strip down and dance like Mowgli's avatar.

Otherwise, please stop being a hypocrit.

And calm down. Excess agitation will do nothing for your shriveling problem.

Gray Blazer
lol sorry for spreading a wild fire :)

Shoot, don't worry about that. All you have to do is say the sky is blue and some WBers will argue it all day.

I started a thread once because my pic was the weather channel pic of the day and I wanted to brag. Immediately some one posted that there was a better site than the weather channel and so on.

MOWGLI
I just dont let it get to serious and always let one know im really messing with them, instead of trying to hard at the Ahole game like others.:p

For some it comes naturally. :p

Frosty
01-06-2009, 22:39
This isn't really hiking, but it's skiing and is related to this thread:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/06/vail-chairlift-accident-l_n_155578.html

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 22:40
No bro, just dislike vapid arguments. What part of no one has seen me naked can you no comprehend? Seriously, answer that question. Then you will see how ridiculous comparing hiking in the woods is to standing naked in front of a courthouse.

But yeah, if you want to diss on those you consider unattractive I have no problem getting hostile. Thank you very much.

prain4u
01-06-2009, 22:48
I could personally care less if someone decides to hike naked. To each their own.

However, Pickleodeon DID raise some valid points regarding the POSSIBLE legal risks associated with public nudity. Sometimes public nudity DOES mean that you will have to register as a sex offender. See these links:

http://www.thecoloradoindex.com/the_colorado_index/2008/11/should-the-government-name-streakers-as-sex-offenders.html

http://naturistaction.org/AlertsAdvisoriesUpdates/ALERTS/Illinois_HB_5874_06-15-02/illinois_hb_5874_06-15-02.html
[/URL]
Please note, it is not 100% clear whether, or not, public nudity is ALWAYS acceptable in a National Forest, National Park, National Trail etc. Please see this link:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/naked/nationalforest.htm (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/nov/03/naked-runners-face-registering-sex-offenders/)

or see this actual "anti-nudity order" for Shawnee National Forest:

[URL]http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/shawnee/recreation/closure/closures/11-04/order-no-08-16.pdf

So, hike nude if you wish--but be aware that in RARE instances public nudity can sometimes lead to unwanted consequences.

Christus Cowboy
01-06-2009, 22:54
No need for all the hostility between opposite sides people! I certainly wont be hiking anywhere in public naked. Nor would i through a group of clothed people, especially if its a family group that possibly has kids...

I agree with my fellow Texan.... with perhaps the addtion of a few cleansing breaths:)

Frosty
01-06-2009, 23:06
I have no problem getting hostile.So it appears.

Even if you weren't quick to get hostile, it is still irresponsible to tell people to go around naked whenever they feel like it.

It isn't Puritanical, reactionary or any of the hate stuff you spewed. It is simply illegal.

Go to a naturalist camp. I've been. It is legal and respectful.

Running around naked in public is neither.

And telling people to let society deal with their nakedness is hypocritical as you say you have never appeared naked in public yourself.

Stop trying to be such a big bad poster. You're not.

Yahtzee
01-06-2009, 23:38
You are obstinate, aren't you? "Whenever they feel like it"? Do you realize this is a hiking website? That this thread is about hiking naked in the woods? I don't give a damn what you think about my posting because you are clearly incapable of carrying on a rational conversation. There are many ways to take the other side of this debate yet you have chosen to take the insipid route. Congratulations.

If you see me hiking naked, call the cops, the number is 911. You can have the last bit of this debate, your sad logic has amused me and my gal.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 23:44
You are obstinate, aren't you? "Whenever they feel like it"? Do you realize this is a hiking website? That this thread is about hiking naked in the woods? I don't give a damn what you think about my posting because you are clearly incapable of carrying on a rational conversation. There are many ways to take the other side of this debate yet you have chosen to take the insipid route. Congratulations.

If you see me hiking naked, call the cops, the number is 911. You can have the last bit of this debate, your sad logic has amused me and my gal.

it's obvious you're an exhibitionist. you like being naked. around people and you want everyone to know about it. :rolleyes: odd stuff

nufsaid
01-06-2009, 23:48

It looks like Frosty got your goat and you have chosen to attack him. Who is incapable of carrying on a rational conversation?

Mags
01-06-2009, 23:52
What about nude showering day?

nufsaid
01-07-2009, 00:00
What about nude showering day?

Sounds like a winner.

JAK
01-07-2009, 00:01
The woods should definitely be a place where you should be able to find a place to go naked if that's what you want to do, but you should be willing to go out of your way to do so. Don't expect society not to be offended by things that offend society. Sure its rather arbitrary at times, and changes over the years, but it is what it is. If you want to hike naked, do it someplace where the risk of being discovered is slim enough to be socially acceptable. Now if you want to make a total ass of yourself there is a time and place for that also. The only real social sin is bad timing.

Brett
01-07-2009, 00:07
The only real social sin is bad timing.

Agreed! Timing is everything!

Yahtzee
01-07-2009, 00:09
it's obvious you're an exhibitionist. you like being naked. around people and you want everyone to know about it. :rolleyes: odd stuff

Nice try, LW. I know you can read.

tom_alan
01-07-2009, 00:11
:-? I'm thinking you could end up rubbed raw in more places than you want to be and that chest strap across the ladies can't be comfortable. Got to agree with Jak on this one.

Would also have to be a short hike with a day pack in a "private area".:eek: :D

Yahtzee
It looks like Frosty got your goat and you have chosen to attack him. Who is incapable of carrying on a rational conversation?

Hypocrisy gets my goat and saying only some should hike naked is just that. I call it like I see it. He took things out of context and when they were explained he continued. Some people just aren't worth the effort. But still I try.

Lone Wolf
whatever. we all have weirdnesses

JAK
01-07-2009, 00:20
I think we've all said stuff without thinking, or posted stuff without considering the wider audience.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 00:21
I think we've all said stuff without thinking, or posted stuff without considering the wider audience.

not me. never

JAK
01-07-2009, 00:26
not me. neverto be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBqnGl9oKg&feature=related

Brett
01-07-2009, 00:36
to be sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUBqnGl9oKg&feature=related

Dude thats some bad*** fiddlin!

Tin Man
01-07-2009, 00:59
for those repressed people ashamed of the human body,their own or others,celebrating the summer solstice in this manor should be punishable by fines, jail time and worse. To more enlightened hikers its simply a fun carefree way of celebrating the trail, nature and the summer season. I would recommend slipping on some shorts at busy road crossings though. God forbid a child should see a blur of a naked body while passing by at 60mph rather than at home on TV or the internet. The thing to remember is that its not about sex. Still to some, if they hear the words "hike naked day" or "nude beach" they mount their high horses and cast down judgement while picturing wild orgies taking place.

yikes! only selfish people think this way. all sorts of folks hike, including children. keep your shorts on.

mkmangold
01-07-2009, 01:04
Like all men, I have a wrinkled nutsack. Like all Christians, I am a little bit hesitant about showing my naked body in public. However, I don't believe nakedness is inherently evil and a little "airing out" as Colin Fletcher puts it, is a healthy adventure. What to do... What to do?

mudcap
01-07-2009, 01:07
Back on topic. I apologize if this has already been discussed... naked hikers? anyone ever seen a Man-gina on the trail? I have,sad day that was! Some folks scream for attention.

Tin Man
01-07-2009, 01:10
Like all men, I have a wrinkled nutsack. Like all Christians, I am a little bit hesitant about showing my naked body in public. However, I don't believe nakedness is inherently evil and a little "airing out" as Colin Fletcher puts it, is a healthy adventure. What to do... What to do?

stand in front of your own bathroom mirror and admire yourself. :rolleyes:

keep your clothes on in public. :cool:

JAK
01-07-2009, 01:57
Not all the woods are public, yet, thank God.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 09:36

people that shouldnt do and the people that should dont? exactly what type of people fall into each of these catagories? sounds to me as if you have that "American" attitude towards nakedness. ITS NOT ABOUT SEX! Still repressed puritans and dysfunctional perverts will never see it any other way.

mkmangold
01-07-2009, 21:50
stand in front of your own bathroom mirror and admire yourself. :rolleyes:

keep your clothes on in public. :cool:

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended) but that would just make me depressed! :(

Summit
01-07-2009, 22:54
I encountered naked hikers of both sexes fairly often on the PCT in California in the late '70s - twas very popular with the local Sierra Clubs (might still be for all I know). Its effect on me was always the same . . . discomforting, regardless of whether the body was pleasing to the eye or disgusting. Whether it's for the exhilaration of total skin exposure in the great outdoors, exhibitionism, or whatever, best to exercise extreme discretion on the when and where.

If it's earth, wind, and sky you want to expose yourself to, find a remote place to do it. If it's a bunch of people you desire to expose yourself to, then you're an exhibitionist seeking amusement! ;)

When exercising one's rights steps on the rights of another, then one has over-stepped their rights. As supported by the comments in this thread, far more people would be offended than amused. We should feel safe to take our little boys and girls, wives, and husbands hiking without worrying about them being exposed to such as this around the next bend in the trail. Do (or don't do) unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 23:49
why do you suppose you felt discomfort? were they threatening you? did they surround you and make you undress too? were they carrying concealed weapons?(I sure hope not) Also what rights of yours were being stepped on? I'm sure the sierra club wasnt breaking the law. Just because the "moral majority" think we should be ashamed of the human body and only be naked while bathing or procreating (I use this term for any other form of sex is sinful) does not make it so. If anything I bet there are always a few more smiles and a little more laughter on the summer equinox and thats always a good thing. Lighten up. It's one day a year.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 23:52
on and on and on with the exhibitionist thing there rocky. you got issues. get some help with the exposing yourself thing :rolleyes:

Summit
01-08-2009, 00:03
I'll ignore your initial silliness and start with my rights being stepped on . . . my right to take my wife, son, daughter hiking with me and not have them be subjected to what the majority (moral or not) find distasteful. I said nothing of being ashamed of the human body - your words. Smiles and laughter are good for the soul. But if your actions that you are laughing and smiling about cause the opposite effect on many others . . . well, reread my last paragraph in previous post. :)

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 00:17
on and on and on with the exhibitionist thing there rocky. you got issues. get some help with the exposing yourself thing :rolleyes:
only issue I have is with people who dictate how others should live there lives. The biggest problem with hike naked day should be poison ivy not if some puritanical thinker will take offense.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 00:28
I'll ignore your initial silliness and start with my rights being stepped on . . . my right to take my wife, son, daughter hiking with me and not have them be subjected to what the majority (moral or not) find distasteful. I said nothing of being ashamed of the human body - your words. Smiles and laughter are good for the soul. But if your actions that you are laughing and smiling about cause the opposite effect on many others . . . well, reread my last paragraph in previous post. :)
If you feel this strongly about it perhaps you should start a petition to get a law passed to make illegal to hike naked in those areas where it is now perfectly legal. Until that time you cant say anyone is stepping on your rights.

Summit
01-08-2009, 00:41
only issue I have is with people who dictate how others should live there lives. The biggest problem with hike naked day should be poison ivy not if some puritanical thinker will take offense.Since my statements are completely void of any religious connotation, pick up the flag. There is no religious foul on the play! :) The issue I have with your position is you feel you should be able to live your life anyway you please, devoid of regard for others, and whoever is offended can just leave. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like that in this world.

I doubt you could envision, let alone care, but try. Think if you were a father with your two small children hiking down the trail and coming upon several completely naked adults hiking toward them. While these people pass you by laughing and smiling (probably at the frightened faces of your children), you're left to deal with and try to explain the scene to a couple of very upset and confused children. The naked group's fun is suddenly your pain.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 00:50
only issue I have is with people who dictate how others should live there lives. The biggest problem with hike naked day should be poison ivy not if some puritanical thinker will take offense.

Rock hound - you really have interesting thoughts!

Glad you didn't suggest a pencil and two rubber bands!:D

Summit-I somewhat share your sentiments I don't want to see it at all, but kids are kids -if they saw that as I did when I was kid we would laugh and point without understanding. As a child my mom still reminds me of my hilarious mishaps. Besides you are an informed adult, don't go hiking on that day.

uh the previous post (Devoid of religious stuff) did you forget about your signature? - only reminding you, again no worries.

ed bell
01-08-2009, 01:13
only issue I have is with people who dictate how others should live there lives. The biggest problem with hike naked day should be poison ivy not if some puritanical thinker will take offense.Walk through the local city park and test that hypothesis. Look, I have spent plenty of time in the buff in the great outdoors, just not walking my naked ass down a public trail. "Naked Hiking Day" does not change my previous sentence. I can't and won't "dictate how others should live there lives.". Personally, I live life day to day not offending folks. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's just me.

Summit
01-08-2009, 07:46
uh the previous post (Devoid of religious stuff) did you forget about your signature? - only reminding you, again no worries.I don't consider my signature part of each response but rather sort of a stand-alone thing. Maybe that's not the correct view, but I'd hate to think that if I want to debate something here on WB I've got to remember to go back and edit out my signature! :rolleyes:

Yahtzee
01-08-2009, 08:19
Summit, I'm an committed nude hiker and I have never exposed others to this practice. I have respect for your wishes and those like you who hold them that is why I always have a pair of shorts handy to put on or cover up quickly. I don't cover up because I am ashamed but because I recognize that others don't want to deal with nude hikers. It takes me less than 10 seconds to put on or take off my hiking shorts, so I choose to do that rather than make someone uncomfortable or have to defend myself for something I enjoy doing. As for unabashed nude hikers who hike nude everywhere v. those who don't want to be subjected to nude hikers, I think I come out somewhere in the middle. To my mind, both sides' wishes and desires would be compromised by bending towards the other, so it's a wash. 'Twould suck if everyone had the same point of view on everything.

Happy hiking.

OldStormcrow
01-08-2009, 09:52

As a very young child I lived in Germany and traveled to France, Belgium, and Mexico. I saw nude swimmers in Europe and poverty-stricken naked children playing in the streets in Mexico. I certainly do not recall having to be comforted by my parents for shock after the incidents, and I'm pretty sure that my young psyche was too badly warped from it.

MOWGLI
01-08-2009, 09:58
Have we figured this out yet? :D

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 10:07
Have we figured this out yet? :D

apparently not. folks don't realize there are different countries and cultures with different norms. not saying one is better than another, but the whiners need to understand ours ... or move

Alligator
01-08-2009, 10:13
apparently not. folks don't realize there are different countries and cultures with different norms. not saying one is better than another, but the whiners need to understand ours ... or moveIn this country, there are places where it is legal and and other places where it is illegal.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 10:31
Since my statements are completely void of any religious connotation, pick up the flag. There is no religious foul on the play! :) The issue I have with your position is you feel you should be able to live your life anyway you please, devoid of regard for others, and whoever is offended can just leave. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like that in this world.

I doubt you could envision, let alone care, but try. Think if you were a father with your two small children hiking down the trail and coming upon several completely naked adults hiking toward them. While these people pass you by laughing and smiling (probably at the frightened faces of your children), you're left to deal with and try to explain the scene to a couple of very upset and confused children. The naked group's fun is suddenly your pain.
My mom was a flowerchild summit. I saw plenty of nude bodies in my youth. I dont recall these being traumatic or frightening experiences. I can certainty see how a child who was raised in an environment where the naked body is something to be treated with shame and guilt might feel that way however. So, As I have previously posted, one should cover up at road crossings and other public areas, so as not to offend the puritains or scare their children. When deep in the woods where its legal to go ala fresco please dont step on my rights by telling me I cant hike nude.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 10:35
Walk through the local city park and test that hypothesis. Look, I have spent plenty of time in the buff in the great outdoors, just not walking my naked ass down a public trail. "Naked Hiking Day" does not change my previous sentence. I can't and won't "dictate how others should live there lives.". Personally, I live life day to day not offending folks. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's just me.

Not talking about city parks where it would be illegal. were talking about areas of the AT where it is legal.

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2009, 10:38
It's really pathetic to see people throwing around the "It's my Right" statements on such a stupid petty issue as this; you'll really don't have a clue about our rights in this the greatest country on earth.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 10:42
Since my statements are completely void of any religious connotation, pick up the flag. There is no religious foul on the play! :) The issue I have with your position is you feel you should be able to live your life anyway you please, devoid of regard for others, and whoever is offended can just leave. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like that in this world.

seems to me your "do unto others....." line has some religious overtones. As for that statement, it's flawed. I would not want a masochist doing unto me as they would have done to themself. I think I might change it to " do unto others as they would have done to themselves" Therefore If I do choose to hike naked and summit and family happen to come up the trail I would certainly cover up and choose not to exersize my RIGHT to hike naked until such time as they were out of sight.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 10:43
It's really pathetic to see people throwing around the "It's my Right" statements on such a stupid petty issue as this; you'll really don't have a clue about our rights in this the greatest country on earth.

please enlighten us

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 10:44
please enlighten us

dude. give it a rest. just nike naked and shut up already :rolleyes:

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 10:50
In this country, there are places where it is legal and and other places where it is illegal.

and i got no beef with that :cool:

MOWGLI
01-08-2009, 11:01
Like everything else it's about discretion. I like to skinny dip in the back country. But when I hike with my daughter, guess what? I don't. And if you're there with your kids, I don't either. I'll swim in my shorts. It's not an exhibitionist thing. I'm under no illusions about how I look naked these days. :eek: I don't want an audience. To me, it's what I do to get clean and feel refreshed before I crash in my sleeping bag. I sleep better when I'm not all sticky. It's also why I don't wear a lot of bug juice. I don't like the idea of jumping in a crystalline lake filled with trout while slathered in DEET.

I have only hiked nude one time out of necessity due to bad chafing on my thighs. It was in PA in 2000. I ducked into the woods when I heard voices and donned my shorts. I also carried a camp towel to strategically to cover the vital vittles. When I gave a public talk to about 90 folks after my hike, that story elicited the most laughs - by far. It's funny now. But it was painful then.

As I recall, when the movie Southbounders was shown at the SORUCK a few years ago, no one ran out of the room when the nude hiking scene came on. In fact, there was lots of laughter. And I was sitting on the floor right next to Lone Wolf. :) True dat! FWIW, there was no full frontal nudity in the film.

JAK
01-08-2009, 12:01
It's best not to hike in public, clothed or naked.

Christus Cowboy
01-08-2009, 16:09
Summit, I'm an committed nude hiker and I have never exposed others to this practice. I have respect for your wishes and those like you who hold them that is why I always have a pair of shorts handy to put on or cover up quickly. I don't cover up because I am ashamed but because I recognize that others don't want to deal with nude hikers. It takes me less than 10 seconds to put on or take off my hiking shorts, so I choose to do that rather than make someone uncomfortable or have to defend myself for something I enjoy doing. As for unabashed nude hikers who hike nude everywhere v. those who don't want to be subjected to nude hikers, I think I come out somewhere in the middle. To my mind, both sides' wishes and desires would be compromised by bending towards the other, so it's a wash. 'Twould suck if everyone had the same point of view on everything.

Happy hiking.

Sorry guys for editing my post here but like alot of typical dads I didn't realize that using my daughter as an example to underscore a point on a discussion thread could be embarrassing to her....

Yahtz....I appreciate your post here... If I'm reading this post right I believe the point being articulating here is deference and common courtesy... which is generally the position where I come down on... Like Summit I have taken my kids out to the backcountry and I have always appreciated the extra care the hiking community takes when they see me with my kids..... Many on this thread have submitted the view that nudity isn't about sex however, my teenage kids have told me there are important distinctions between teenage and adult cultures, and as such nudity in the teenage realm has for the most part been sexualized. This unfortunate condition of teenage culture has prompted my kids to embrace modesty in an effort to counter that aspect of teen culture and to save that part of who they are for the individuals they will ultimately marry..... Its not about bashing people for their divergent beliefs nor do my kids feel that their choice makes them morally superior to other people, its just how they've chosen to protect their hearts....

jesse
01-08-2009, 16:46
I can't see any personal benefit to hiking nude. Walking around in the woods naked ain't comfortable. The only reason people do it is to get attention and/or be offensive.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 16:51
I can't see any personal benefit to hiking nude. Walking around in the woods naked ain't comfortable. The only reason people do it is to get attention and/or be offensive.

yeah pretty much

Tinker
01-08-2009, 16:51
Nude hiking in June is opening a BUG BUFFET - and then, when you want to sit down, you'll really NEED a sit pad. ;)

In my case, I might be cited for visual pollution. :D

Mags
01-08-2009, 16:54
Remote hot springs in the backcountry is great for a the "hippie dips".

All I can think of nude hiking out here is BRING LOTS OF SUN SCREEN! :D

D'Artagnan
01-08-2009, 17:05
If I saw some guy hiking naked, my first reaction would probably be to laugh. Not a real confidence booster. Just saying.

phenimore
01-08-2009, 17:14

So are you saying that being offensive and/or attention seeking is a bad thing?
Being naked isn't always comfortable, but a lot of things work a lot better that way.
Being comfortable is not necessarily a good thing either.

hyoh :sun

Yahtzee
01-08-2009, 17:28

This is where I must pleasantly disagree. Since I am not one who hikes nude in front of others your last sentence does not apply to me, but there are great benefits to hiking nude. The reason why is hard to quantify or express but hiking in the nude is just simply more fun and less work than normal hiking. It would be cheesy to say it's more natural but it is more enjoyable. I wish those who were ambivalent on the subject would give it an honest try, get past the novelty, and maybe one of them would be able to express it better than I can. As weird as it sounds, I hike longer hiking nude. Do more miles hiking nude. Can't remember ever being frustrated with the trail while hiking nude. Am less tired when I finish hiking nude. These are all great benefits. Why? It really is hard to explain but after giving it a try and realizing these benefits, I stopped trying to figure it out and accepted it as so. Some may do it for kicks or showboating, but I do it because, at the end of the day, hiking nude is usually a more enjoyable experience than hiking in clothes. And that is what hiking for me is all about, enjoyable experiences.

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 17:32
This is where I must pleasantly disagree. Since I am not one who hikes nude in front of others your last sentence does not apply to me, but there are great benefits to hiking nude. The reason why is hard to quantify or express but hiking in the nude is just simply more fun and less work than normal hiking. It would be cheesy to say it's more natural but it is more enjoyable. I wish those who were ambivalent on the subject would give it an honest try, get past the novelty, and maybe one of them would be able to express it better than I can. As weird as it sounds, I hike longer hiking nude. Do more miles hiking nude. Can't remember ever being frustrated with the trail while hiking nude. Am less tired when I finish hiking nude. These are all great benefits. Why? It really is hard to explain but after giving it a try and realizing these benefits, I stopped trying to figure it out and accepted it as so. Some may do it for kicks or showboating, but I do it because, at the end of the day, hiking nude is usually a more enjoyable experience than hiking in clothes. And that is what hiking for me is all about, enjoyable experiences.

got nothing swinging, huh? you must belong to the size don't matter group.

jesse
01-08-2009, 17:32
So are you saying that being offensive and/or attention seeking is a bad thing? [QUOTE]

Yes, that is what i'm saying.

[QUOTE]Being naked isn't always comfortable, but a lot of things work a lot better that way.

Name one thing that works a lot better, by hiking naked.

Being comfortable is not necessarily a good thing either.

Don't have a clue about this one.

jesse
01-08-2009, 17:38

What's is most miles you have ever hiked naked

Yahtzee
01-08-2009, 17:56

Consecutive, unclothed, would be 16 miles on the longest day I ever hiked, around 41 miles from Watauga to Damascus. Normally, there is alot of taking on and off during the day. Like I said, it only takes a few seconds to slip off the swimming trunks so it's not a hassle to me.

To the nitwi..mature individual who wanted to make this about dick size, I'm bow-legged so I got more room to swing. But I have never had a bug bite on my pecker and the only tick I have had in the area was on a day I was hiking with shorts on.

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 17:59
Consecutive, unclothed, would be 16 miles on the longest day I ever hiked, around 41 miles from Watauga to Damascus. Normally, there is alot of taking on and off during the day. Like I said, it only takes a few seconds to slip off the swimming trunks so it's not a hassle to me.

To the nitwi..mature individual who wanted to make this about dick size, I'm bow-legged so I got more room to swing. But I have never had a bug bite on my pecker and the only tick I have had in the area was on a day I was hiking with shorts on.

make sure you use plenty of sun lotion, but be careful how much you rub it

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 19:20
I'd be interested in what the anti-nude hiker contingent feels about mooning the cog.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 19:30
I'd be interested in what the anti-nude hiker contingent feels about mooning the cog.

foolish, sheeplelike and illegal

Lone Wolf
01-08-2009, 19:31
foolish, sheeplelike and illegal

and here we go! gonna get shut down now :)

Tin Man
01-08-2009, 19:39
them cog drivers got some arm. when i hiked the whites this year, i was amazed at how much coal was laying along the trail north of the cog tracks.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 19:41
Summit, I'm an committed nude hiker
Happy hiking.

OK you got me, I'm 47 years old and apparently completely yes i said "completely UN-informed"

Inquiring minds want to know...... What is a committed Nude Hiker... :D

Folks it's Woo, a mind is a terrible thing to waste :cool: I gotta know, before I drop dead.
And How Damn Happy are you?

Yahtzee
01-08-2009, 19:52
OK you got me, I'm 47 years old and apparently completely yes i said "completely UN-informed"

Inquiring minds want to know...... What is a committed Nude Hiker... :D

Folks it's Woo, a mind is a terrible thing to waste :cool: I gotta know, before I drop dead.
And How Damn Happy are you?

Pretty f'in happy, thank you very much. I'm here in Center City, if you ever wanna get together for a beer, come on down. I'd love an interpretation of that post.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 19:54
I want some of what he's been drinkin'.

Rockhound
01-08-2009, 19:54
I only ask because it has been stated numerous times here that people only hike nude to be offensive or exhibitionists. Do they feel the same way about the cog? I say its a fun harmless tradition that isn't going to have parents taking their children in droves to therapists. I also think the it is not intended to be offensive. If it is, my apologies, but so be it. everyone does something at times that might offend another.(ask any married couple)

Alligator
01-08-2009, 20:07
No, let's keep the cog separate from this one. Thanks.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 20:10
I want some of what he's been drinkin'.

Yuengling Lager (only one).

I was expecting some strange answer about a straight Jacket and no tech pants!

I really look up to Robin Williams as a comedian and awesome personality as he put out a DVD a couple of years ago and left nothing to the imagination. I can't quote him, but my wife fell off her chair when he said "That's my Easter Basket!" when referring to his "William and the boys".

So every once in a while I don't mind showing my sense of strange British Humor here on the internet, so long as I don't offend anyone.

Gray Blazer
01-08-2009, 20:24
Yuengling Lager (only one).

So every once in a while I don't mind showing my sense of strange British Humor here on the internet, so long as I don't offend anyone.

Alright then. On a bloody related note here's one about Benny Hill (I know I don't have to mention nudity when I refer to BH). He's out running and training. When he starts to run out of gas his trainer starts a young girl jogging in front of him and Benny chases her. This is repeated as Benny runs down and a new girl is released in front of him in progressive stages of undress. When Benny can no longer chase a nude girl, his trainer releases a very happy, happy man (if you know what I mean wink wink nod nod) in back of him and Benny runs for his life.

Besides being funny (to me), it is prolly a great way to train.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 20:28
Yea I remember that!

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 20:38
make sure you use plenty of sun lotion, but be careful how much you rub it

You know, we just don't need to use sun lotion round here in PA. I can't explain it.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 20:39
You know, we just don't need to use sun lotion round here in PA. I can't explain it.

Where did everyone go??? I can hear the crickets....... Ok I'll wait,

Yatzee go ahead and throw another log on the fire.

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2009, 21:02
I only ask because it has been stated numerous times here that people only hike nude to be offensive or exhibitionists. Do they feel the same way about the cog? I say its a fun harmless tradition that isn't going to have parents taking their children in droves to therapists. I also think the it is not intended to be offensive. If it is, my apologies, but so be it. everyone does something at times that might offend another.(ask any married couple)

Ahh TMI and if you saw it ok ... but this is a family blog. The thought was not to be offensive and more about comfort on a extreme hot day.

OldStormcrow
01-09-2009, 09:29

A couple of years ago (to celebrate my birthday) I hiked naked on the Foothills Trail from Whitewater Falls to almost Oconee State Park....about 2.5 days without seeing anyone except at road crossings. I always stopped and listened at crossings and pulled on my shorts if folks were nearby. As you approach Oconee State Park you leave the National Forest and begin to run into more tourists, so I used a bit more discretion there.

Plodderman
01-09-2009, 23:41
Never know what or who you are going to run into on the AT or what they will be wearing or not wearing.

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2009, 12:45
Plodderman, it's just one day...

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2009, 09:25
Read at your own risk - photo included with blacked out areas. Zichi is in England & they got cited.

http://zichi.blogspot.com/2009/06/nude-hikers-ready-to-bear-all-for.html

Hoop Time
08-21-2009, 14:30
Pretty f'in happy, thank you very much. I'm here in Center City, if you ever wanna get together for a beer, come on down. I'd love an interpretation of that post.

My kid will be at Temple in the fall. Perhaps some time a WB hiking panel discussion should be scheduled for McGillin's.

Egads
08-22-2009, 08:43
Read at your own risk - photo included with blacked out areas. Zichi is in England & they got cited.

http://zichi.blogspot.com/2009/06/nude-hikers-ready-to-bear-all-for.html

Disgusting, should be in the things I fear while hiking thread :(

Rain Man
08-22-2009, 11:02
Disgusting, should be in the things I fear while hiking thread :(

Didn't know there was a thread entitled "Egads' Irrational Fears." :D But apparently it would be a revealing look!
LOL
Rain:sunMan

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 19:03
YUP disgusting, or just not for me. What surprised me was that someone chased them down to cite them hiking many miles to catch up to them.

And before you judge me on that one, years ago I used to visit nude beaches because I saw nothing wrong with it. My opinion has changed.

weary
08-22-2009, 21:32
YUP disgusting, or just not for me. What surprised me was that someone chased them down to cite them hiking many miles to catch up to them.

And before you judge me on that one, years ago I used to visit nude beaches because I saw nothing wrong with it. My opinion has changed.
Twenty plus years ago, my wife an I visited our daughter and her son who then lived in San Fransisco. One day our grandson wanted to go to the beach. I wasn't into driving those narrow streets. But he offered to take us to a beach we could walk to. We clambered down a steep bluff to what proved to be a nude beach. My grandson ignored all the nudity and built castles in the sand.

I grew up in an older time. Nudity is not something I could bring myself to practice, but I found the California experience both interesting, enlightening and enjoyable.

My grandson later hiked many miles with me on the Appalachian Trail (probably at least a thousand) We've seen nudity on the trail. Neither of us thought much about it. Just different strokes for different folks.

Weary

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2009, 21:38
I am with you on that one, Weary, I would not dial 911 and I don't care to see it, I recognise now that folks need their privacy.

The Weasel
08-23-2009, 04:43
I agree with Weary. But as I've mentioned before, Southern communities can have very conservative feelings about 'nude hiking,' and a "ticket" (much less an arrest) and "guilty plea" and minor fine can also result in a requirement for lifetime registration as a sex offender in some states. People who don't care about that risk are free to hike nude.

TW

generoll
08-23-2009, 09:58
move hike naked day to January 1. the ladies will look more interesting and except for the truly hardy man the likelihood of offending will shrink to near zero.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2009, 10:01
move hike naked day to January 1. the ladies will look more interesting and except for the truly hardy man the likelihood of offending will shrink to near zero.

Great that should kill all participation.:D

heyoka87
08-23-2009, 10:23
I can just imagine walking through the Arnold Swamp in Maine naked and looking like a piece of bloody beef jerky at the end of it. Black flies, mosquitos and deer flies ! Naked !! No thank you. Dumb ass idea !!:(

OldStormcrow
08-24-2009, 10:32
I agree with Weary. But as I've mentioned before, Southern communities can have very conservative feelings about 'nude hiking,' and a "ticket" (much less an arrest) and "guilty plea" and minor fine can also result in a requirement for lifetime registration as a sex offender in some states. People who don't care about that risk are free to hike nude.

TWThis is getting to be a pretty old and redundant thread, but please refer to post#38 as to where nudity is legal (as in, not a "sex crime") and where it is specifically illegal.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2009, 12:49
This is getting to be a pretty old and redundant thread, but please refer to post#38 as to where nudity is legal (as in, not a "sex crime") and where it is specifically illegal.

Would you be willing to take that risk? I wouldn't gamble on it. Not with all the new laws out there above and beyond the magen's law.

Trigger Happy Jack
08-24-2009, 13:02
I guess this thread pops up every couple of months on here with the same misinformation. Public nudity is not allowed in city parks, state parks, state forests, national parks, national monuments, etc. Public nudity is NOT illegal in the national forests.....check the laws. That being said, it is always nice to stop and listen before reaching road crossings or trail heads so as to avoid embarassing some poor family. I always find it amusing that Americans find the sight of a (any) nude human body offensive or snicker like 2nd graders over the very idea, but parents don't hesitate a second when it comes to letting their kids watch all of Freddie Krueger's slashing and such.
[/left]

I heard something about nudity being illegal in national forests unless you have a permit. I am working up the courage to ask any ranger for a nudity permit with a straight face. I don't think I could do it! LOL

:sun Hike naked. It gives your cheeks color. :sun

RITBlake
08-24-2009, 13:13
If I saw someone hiking naked I'd probably throw rocks at them

OldStormcrow
08-24-2009, 14:02
I heard something about nudity being illegal in national forests unless you have a permit. I am working up the courage to ask any ranger for a nudity permit with a straight face. I don't think I could do it! LOL

:sun Hike naked. It gives your cheeks color. :sunI'm pretty sure that someone is pulling your leg on the permit thing. As much as the rangers would like to discourage such activity, it's best to just pursue a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. This did go to court more than once, after complaints by tourists that they were running into "naturist" groups in Pisgah National Forest......and yes, it's still legal in National Forests.

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 14:23

"All states and most towns/cities and counties have laws or ordinances prohibiting public nudity and/or public sexual activity as “indecent exposure” or “public lewdness” or similar terms. Small towns and rural areas are particularly emphatic about enforcing such laws, especially involving those from other areas such as hikers.

“Megan’s Laws” are state laws which seek to protect children, in particular, from sexual predators, by making it difficult for people convicted of sexual offenses to be in any proximity to children. This may include those who have been found guilty of indecent exposure or public lewdness.

This is serious stuff: A person ticketed for a prank of hiking nude on “National Nude Backpacker’s Day” (the summer solstice) or for “mooning” the “Cog Railroad” (in 2007, several hikers were ticketed for “mooning” the “Cog”) may pay a small fine and think that is the

A police officer checking (as always happens) the “LEIN” (“Law Enforcement Information Network”, a national computer database of virtually every criminal conviction, accessible from patrol cars) will very possibly see a sex offense – public indecency – but no “sex offender registration.” The hiker might be arrested and charged with violation of Megan’s Law. Even if the charge were later plea bargained to prevent prison time, the hiker would be forced to register, with all

This is getting to be a pretty old and redundant thread, but please refer to post#38 as to where nudity is legal (as in, not a "sex crime") and where it is specifically illegal.

OldStormCrow, while meaning well, is essentially wrong, and I caution people who want to hike nude:

Government lands (state and federal parks, forests, wildlife refuges and other such properties) may or may not have prohibitions against nudity. When last I checked, I believe, National Parks have them, while the National Forest Service, BLM and some of the others do not. (Violations of the NPS prohibitions gets you a citation in Federal Court.) But under our system of "dual sovereignty" local state governements (states, counties, local municipalities) very well MAY have prohibitions which can result in a state-law arrest/citation. Some of those states (including, as I recall, some along the AT) will require registration as sex offenders.

This can result in someone thinking they have just "paid the fine" and not realizing that they are now considered - sometimes for life - a sex offender, with severe limits on where they can live, work and play. I do not think these just, but they exist. Often, it is hard for even lawyers to know whether there are local prohibitions until a prosecutor decides to use a general "disorderly person" statute/ordinance that may not even expressly prohibit nudity. That, too, can be unfair, but yes, it happens. As a result, you can be in a national forest and arrested/cited by a county sheriff under a state/local prohibition. You're not 'safe' unless you've carefully checked the local, state and federal laws (and administrative regulations). Even asking a police officer is no defense if (s)he is wrong, as often occurs in such questions.

Don't assume that public nudity will be viewed as "harmless" or "inoccuous" along the AT.

TW

chefjason
08-24-2009, 14:40
While all the legal babbling is interesting, I have a simple question to anyone who even WANTS to hike nude. Will you let me shoot you in the privates with a pellet gun? No?! But why not? Cause if you go hiking, I mean really hiking, with nothing covering your junk, chances are you are gonna take a smack there. Either a yellow jacket, a horse fly, poison ivy/oak/sumac, a thorn bush, a twig flying up after you step on it..... So if you are not willing to let some one shoot you in the willie out right, you are a FOOL for going into the woods with an unprotected sausage!:datz

Rain Man
08-24-2009, 15:22
..... So if you are not willing to let some one shoot you in the willie out right, you are a FOOL for going into the woods with an unprotected sausage!:datz

Hmmmmm ... would the same argument apply to your eyeballs? If so... don't go!

OldStormcrow
08-24-2009, 15:29
The only place I ever seem to get bitten when hiking naked (and yes, I have hiked naked on occasion) is on my back under my pack. Even when just hiking shirtless this seems to happen. As for "being careful and checking local ordinances", believe me, I already have. And no, I have never run into a "local sheriff" anywhere other than on a public road.....they're not too fond of hiking up hills with all that body armor and ammo on them.

chefjason
08-24-2009, 15:37
Hmmmmm ... would the same argument apply to your eyeballs? If so... don't go!

God gave me eyelids for my EYEballs. You?

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 15:52
*** I have never run into a "local sheriff" anywhere other than on a public road.....they're not too fond of hiking up hills with all that body armor and ammo on them.

No, but I am aware of at least one instance in 2000 with a family, hiking with small children, reported a nude hiker to the local sheriff on their return to their car, and the hiker was later stopped at a crossing and given an extremely stern warning by the deputy who came out.

TW

OldStormcrow
08-24-2009, 16:39
If a family with small children (with probably no cell service) manages to get out of the woods before you and call the sheriff, then the sheriff manages to get to the trail head in time to catch you to "give you an extremely stern warning", then you are hiking entirely too slow. I tend to take great care to avoid people, no matter what I am wearing. On the few occasions when I have hiked "sans trousers", I have only accidently run into one individual.....poor guy....it was a narrow trail and not much room to pass! Usually I can hear a family or a pack of tourists miles before I run into them, and am quite respectable by the time I pass them. I'm certainly not advocating anything here, just setting the record straight, legality-wise.

weary
08-24-2009, 18:44
Among the things that drew a big chuckle at the annual meeting of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club last spring, was the corresponding secretary's report of the email asking, "Is there any place on the trail in Maine where we could hike nude?"

Weary

The Weasel
08-24-2009, 18:49
If a family with small children (with probably no cell service) manages to get out of the woods before you and call the sheriff, then the sheriff manages to get to the trail head in time to catch you to "give you an extremely stern warning", then you are hiking entirely too slow. I tend to take great care to avoid people, no matter what I am wearing. On the few occasions when I have hiked "sans trousers", I have only accidently run into one individual.....poor guy....it was a narrow trail and not much room to pass! Usually I can hear a family or a pack of tourists miles before I run into them, and am quite respectable by the time I pass them. I'm certainly not advocating anything here, just setting the record straight, legality-wise.

I'm glad, for your sake, that you've been lucky. Others may not be, and the problem with luck is sometimes that one piece of bad luck far outweighs many more instances of good luck. In other words, your good luck didn't make anything more legal. Just luckily illegal.

TW