PDA

View Full Version : Bulow Creek State Park

HogWinslow
01-06-2009, 13:22
I did a search and didn't find anything on this park. I'm not sure this thread is in the right forum so please move if I'm wrong.

I just spent two weeks at my inlaws and found out at the last minute that this park is only a few miles from them. I did a little online work and found that it has hiking trails. Has anyone used these trails? Are they over night trails or day hiles? I looked for maps of the trails and found nothing. Are there any campgrounds there? We have a small popup camper that I would love to take and then hike from that. That way I don't have to stay with my inlaws for 2 weeks again. Not that that are bad people, two weeks at anyones house is to long.

If anyone knows where I can get a map of these trails please let me know. I need something to do while I'm visiting my inlaws.

Hog

floridahikes
01-06-2009, 14:03
It's a beauty spot, all right. Ancient trees. Understory of coontie, a primitive fern. Feels primordial in there. It is in my "50 Hikes in North Florida" and is also a Florida Trail official loop trail. You can buy a map from FTA (www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org)). Glad you brought it up, I am surprised I did not add it to Florida Hikes yet since I have all the info and map. Perhaps I'll do it as the Hike-A-Week soon.

The trail is a linear 7.8 miles with a 5.2 mile loop at the north end. You can day hike it with a car at both ends, the ends being Bulow Creek State Park (south) and Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park (north). You can also access it in the middle from Walter Boardman Ln on The Loop. There's a campsite at 5.1 miles, south of Walter Boardman Ln, down a 0.4-mile blue blaze. It's nothing special. No good fresh water as you're in a hammock surrounded by salt marshes.

I did this hike in one day with a friend and a second car, but you can easily do it as two day hikes. Nowhere for a pop-up, I'm afraid, unless you camp at Tomoka State Park south of here (worthwhile, a beauty spot too) and drive up to this trail.

Cheers, Navigator
PS. There is a nice but short trail at Graham Swamp, too, off Old Kings Rd 1.4 south of the Palm Coast Parkway and quite a few other places to hike around Palm Coast.

floridahikes
01-06-2009, 14:04
Here's a bunch on info on the trail for you from FTA, too: http://www.floridatrail.org/Hikes/northflorida/Bulow.html

Gray Blazer
01-06-2009, 14:23
You can get there by boat (small) from the inland waterway near Crescent Beach. My Dad and brother and I did it years ago. Not much left of the old plantation. I believe there was an old sugar mill there. It's been a long time.

HogWinslow
01-08-2009, 00:29
Thanks for all the info. You've given me some good places to start.

Hog