PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Mail Drop Towns??

Mowgli08
01-06-2009, 14:27
Hey,
I'm getting ready for my NOBO thru hike this year and I was wondering which towns are best to do mail drops in (because they have poor re-supply places, or what not). I'm hiking with my friend and we are planning to do half the trip with mail drops (maybe less), mainly for sending food that we want.

Matt

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2009, 14:30
Check out the "Articles" section of this website. Lots of information there on towns; maildrops; re-supply; how to send yourself mail, etc.

papa john
01-06-2009, 14:31
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

Jack beat me to it, I had to look up the first link. Excellent series of articles (written by Jack).

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 14:35
Nashville, Morgantown, Columbus, Jersey City, New Haven, Burlington, Concorde, Portland, Monson. . . that should do.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2009, 14:39
W---

Everyone's a comedian.

Even people that aren't funny.

This guy is brand new to Whiteblaze and came here looking for help.

Honestly, the ammount of BS on this website is getting ridiculous.

Simple questions should get simple answers, period.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 14:49
W---

Everyone's a comedian.

Even people that aren't funny.

This guy is brand new to Whiteblaze and came here looking for help.

Honestly, the ammount of BS on this website is getting ridiculous.

Simple questions should get simple answers, period.

Very simply put Jack. Thanks. Hopefully if I work on it I will be a better person by later this afternoon.

My guess is the thread was gonna go past 4 posts and in it's entirety it'd have more than one dimension and the dudes question would be fully answered. My apologies to you. You rock.

Tin Man
01-06-2009, 14:52
Very simply put Jack. Thanks. Hopefully if I work on it I will be a better person by later this afternoon.

sure. ;)

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 14:56
No, really :sun:sun

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 14:56

My guess is the thread was gonna go past 4 posts and in it's entirety it'd have more than one dimension and the dudes question would be fully answered. My apologies to you. You rock.

don't kiss up

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 14:57
. . . . . . .

jersey joe
01-06-2009, 15:09
I opted to go with mail drops in towns either on the trail or very close; Fontana Dam, Hot Springs, Damascus, Pearisburg, Troutville, Waynesboro, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Kent, Cheshire, Hanover, Gorham, Caratunk.
Here is a link to the mail drops I used on my thru hike: http://www.joealaya.com/appalachiantrailthruhike/mail.php

warraghiyagey
01-06-2009, 15:12
I opted to go with mail drops in towns either on the trail or very close; Fontana Dam, Hot Springs, Damascus, Pearisburg, Troutville, Waynesboro, Harpers Ferry, Duncannon, Kent, Cheshire, Hanover, Gorham, Caratunk.
Here is a link to the mail drops I used on my thru hike: http://www.joealaya.com/appalachiantrailthruhike/mail.php
Good list. . . although Gorham has plenty of large stores and I might replace that with Andover and Monson.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 15:17
no need for a maildrop in damascus, pearisburg, troutville, waynesboro, duncannon, kent or hanover. all have large grocery stores with lots of selection

jersey joe
01-06-2009, 15:45
no need for a maildrop in damascus, pearisburg, troutville, waynesboro, duncannon, kent or hanover. all have large grocery stores with lots of selection

Agree, no NEED for maildrops anywhere really, but if you do deceide to go with maildrops, these are good places to mail to.

Blissful
01-06-2009, 15:48
I used maildrops because of medicine isssues and because I wanted better meals that we prepared ahead of time. If you don't care what you eat or like to eat the same ol' thing or don't care about taking time off the trail to buy overpriced stuff at covenience stores (like in NY) or trying to figure out enough food for four days of trips at a huge grocery stores (which I think can be tough, esp if buying for 2), maildrops aren't all that important.

Check out my maildrop listing on my hiking blog (http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.com)to see what we did. Check the listing of topics to find it. If I were to do it again, though, and on my own, I would go with less mail drops.

Blissful
01-06-2009, 15:50
I would drop for sure at NOC, Port Clinton, Delaware Water Gap, Glencliff. Some areas of Maine can get tricky with food, but you will likely have to hitch to towns and they will have stores. Maybe Harper's Ferry and Standing Bear Farm and Pinkham Noth in the Whites (though if you can load up at the huts, you may skip it and do the Carters).

Serial 07
01-06-2009, 16:02
NOC, fontana dam, harpers ferry, port clinton, DWG (meals only really), glencliff...these are the one's off the top of my head as i roll over for more nap...

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2009, 16:56
As far as where one can buy food; the few places where you should send it; where there's no need to send it; where the good markets are; where the not-so-good markets are..... this is all extensively covered on this website. Check out the "Articles" section of the website for starters; then do a Search on "Food", "Re-Supply" or Maildrops".

Uncle Tom
01-07-2009, 18:03
Definitely Fontana Dam.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 18:17
Actually, despite what I wrote in my "Re-Supply" article, the food shopping options in Fontana have gotten a whole lot better. On the other hand, I still think a small food drop here is probably a good idea, as during the height of thru-hiker season, they may get 15 or 20 folks a day arriving there, and they simply don't stock 20 jars of peanut butter, blocks of cheddar cheese, etc. Meaning if you're the 20th person who's shopping for Liptons or Pop Tarts or whatever you may be outta luck.

A few ideas re. Fontana:

*It takes most folks three days to get there from the Nantahala Outdoor
Center, tho it can be done in two. Keep this in mind so the Post Office in
Fontana is open when you get there. If it's gonna be closed, personally,
I'd kill a day at the NOC as there's more to do there than at Fontana Dam,
better food possibilities, more lodging possibilities, etc.
*Be aware that in addition to the general store, hiker food is also available at
Fontana Village's Outdoor Shop.
*There may well be a small convenience store/gas station open near the
Village as well.
*Try and figure out ahead of time whether or not you plan to leave Great
Smoky National Park at Newfound Gap or if you're going straight thru the
Park. If going straight thru, I'd bring 6 days with you out of Fontana, and a
food maildrop would make a good deal of sense. If you're getting out at
Newfound Gap you may well be able to buy what you need in the Village, i.e.
3-4 days worth of stuff.

generoll
01-07-2009, 19:05
I know I'm probably be cast into the 9th circle of hell or whatever, but it seems to me that a mail drop in Erwin would be a good idea. Since Ms Janet is out of business for the immediate future that leaves Uncle Johnny. I stayed there this past December on my most recent installment on my section hike. No complaints. Service rendered as promised and as paid for. Pretty long jump from Hot Springs to Damascus.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 19:07
erwin has a couple of major groceries. then you can resupply in hampton to get to damascus

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 19:09
I'd send a food drop there only if one wasn't planning on going into the center of town.

Johnny provides shuttle service all over Erwin. So will Janet if and when she re-opens in Erwin, which is likely.

And the supermarkets in town, especially the Food Lion, are just fine.

It is indeed a long haul from Hot Springs to Damascus, which is why most folks re-supply in Erwin, and usually from the supermarket.

generoll
01-07-2009, 20:24
agree, if you want to go into town. Seems the original poster was looking for maildrops in part for places to forward maintenance drugs and foods of choice as opposed to pot luck. I don't want to start one of "those" threads, just suggesting options. And I do wish Ms Janet all the best and hope things work out for her.

Tin Man
01-07-2009, 20:29
I'd send a food drop there only if one wasn't planning on going into the center of town.

Johnny provides shuttle service all over Erwin. So will Janet if and when she re-opens in Erwin, which is likely.

And the supermarkets in town, especially the Food Lion, are just fine.

It is indeed a long haul from Hot Springs to Damascus, which is why most folks re-supply in Erwin, and usually from the supermarket.

You got Ms Janet news? do tell.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:35
If and when there's any news, she'll announce it, but no, I know nothing at this time. She is hoping to be much more active with the 2009 hikers than she was last year, but where or when this will take place is not known, at least not by me.

But I certainly hope we hear something before too long. She was very much missed on the Trail last year.

garlic08
01-07-2009, 23:03
Another idea Re: Fontana;

I got lucky and got a ride into Robbinsville from Stecoah Gap (thanks again, Chief!), about 15 trail miles from Fontana. There's a real grocery store there, apparently the closest grocery to Fontana Dam by road. I stocked up on food for the Smokies in Robbinsville and had to carry it an extra 15 miles, but I didn't have to deal with getting into Fontana Village or worry about the grocery stock there. I don't know what the hitching is like at Stecoah Gap, but it might be worth a try. Good restaurants and lodging in Robbinsville, too, a little spread out but not too bad.

Blissful
01-07-2009, 23:19
Pretty long jump from Hot Springs to Damascus.

At Kincora hostel Bob shuttles to town for supplies. So does the guy at the hostel at 19E, though you pay a bit for the shuttle.

Marta
01-08-2009, 07:45
...So does the guy at the hostel at 19E, though you pay a bit for the shuttle.

On 19E we walked into NC to the little grocery store there. (2006--I assume they're still open?) They had plenty of resupply food. An hour's off-trail diversion, and we were good to go. (We ate ice cream!!!)

Pickleodeon
01-20-2009, 12:42
ok, so far I have mail drops are needed in the following places:
NOC- What does this stand for? I dont have a guidebook handy
Fontana Dam -a small one
Hot Springs
Harper's Ferry
Port Clinton
Standing Bear Farm
Chshire
Pinkham Notch
Andover
Monson
Caratunk

now, I don't really know where these places are, because like I said, I dont have a book handy. But, from what I've gathered on the posts, those are places that I'll need them. Is that a good list? Way too many? better towns? Are there any towns that have groceries that I can cross off this list? This is only for groceries/resupply, I'll mail other things like meds. as needed.

A-Train
01-20-2009, 12:58
Fontana Dam -a small one
Hot Springs
Harper's Ferry
Port Clinton
Standing Bear Farm
Chshire
Pinkham Notch
Andover
Monson
Caratunk

now, I don't really know where these places are, because like I said, I dont have a book handy. But, from what I've gathered on the posts, those are places that I'll need them. Is that a good list? Way too many? better towns? Are there any towns that have groceries that I can cross off this list? This is only for groceries/resupply, I'll mail other things like meds. as needed.

Natahala Outdoor Center. I don't think you need one there. It is only 28 miles to Fontana. No reason you can't find 2-3 days at the outfitter there/pack out some food/hiker box.

Don't need one at Standing Bear and then Hot Springs 2 days later.
You can buy a few things to get you to Hot Springs where there is decent food selection.

I wouldn't send food to Chesire. Grab a small amount in Dalton (which you walk thru) to get you to the big supermarker on Route 2 near N. Adams Mass.

If you bother sending a drop to Caratunk, make it a small one. Most thru's make it to Monson in 2 days

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 12:59
NOC- What does this stand for? I dont have a guidebook handy - Natahala Outdoor Center, its a short hike to Fontana and NOC has enough to get you there. It is overpriced, but the cost savings is not realized after shipping
Fontana Dam -a small one - if you don't go into Gatlinburg then send a big one, if not its a short hike to Gatlinburg and not worth it.
Hot Springs - not needed, dollar general and a family grocery are right in town
Harper's Ferry - good
Port Clinton - havn't been there yet
Standing Bear Farm - good
Chshire - havn't been there either
Pinkham Notch - not needed, if you are out of food you can hitch into gorham. its kind of tricky to plan food in the whites because of work for stay availibility
Andover - good
Monson - not needed, the general store and gas station pretty much everything you need, if not there is a grocery store in Greenville
Caratunk - good, send it to Northern Outdoors not Caratunk PO

Glencliff, NH is a good place to send a drop. Its just a gas station, but they do have mac and cheese and snickers so you can get by just fine if you don't.

Johnny Thunder
01-20-2009, 13:06
Fontana Dam -a small one
Hot Springs
Harper's Ferry
Port Clinton
Standing Bear Farm
Chshire
Pinkham Notch
Andover
Monson
Caratunk

Do not under any circumstances send yourself a maildrop to Cheshire, MA. Seriously, I didn't see who recommended this but they are dead wrong. It is possible to walk from Dalton to Williamstown/North Adams with a bag of Gorp and maybe a Mac n Cheese. You have sandwich shops in both Dalton and Chesire as well as convenience stores which will be fine to get you up and over Greylock and pretty much right into the Williamstown Stop and Shop.

PS...if for some reason the Greylock access road is closed for construction again this year I do recommend it as a North bound blue-blazed descent off of the mountain. Views the whole way.

Standing Bear farm isn't necessary if you're sending yourself a maildrop in Hot Springs (I'm not even sure you need one in Hot Springs, either). Since, it's only about 2 days from Standing Bear to HS. Curtis has plenty of hiker food there and I felt that the differences in his prices vs. standard grocery store prices would be lost in the postage.

Like i said, there are food options in Hot Springs. Between the Dollar General and the food section at Bluff Mtn Outfitters you should be fine. Just do most of your damage at the Dollar store.

I carried 4 days food from Franklin...through the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center) in Wesser, NC with no problems. Made it all the way to Fontana without problems. No need to send one here...plus, they have a convenience store where you can get a few items if you're in need.

Does Pinkham Notch accept packages?

I'd classify Andover and Monson as a coin flip mail drop. It's entirely up to you. I think that I'd be able to go in/out of both without issues but if you want to then go for it.

Another option for Monson is to send yourself a big drop in Caratunk and eat as much as possible before getting to Monson...then just restock yourself with food from the two stores in town and the immense hiker boxes. Caratunk's only a 2 day walk on easy easy easy terrain into Monson. So, give yourself a challenge to load up a bit on extra dinners and snacks.

KG4FAM
01-20-2009, 13:12
Does Pinkham Notch accept packages?
Yes, I had to send replacement gear there.

Johnny Thunder
01-20-2009, 13:14
Good to know. I agree with what you said above...you shouldn't need a drop here. But, if you did it's an easy hitch in/out of Gorham. If for some reason you end up hitching into Gorham for an early resupply you could do a supply from Pinkham to Gorham and then leave more food for exiting Gorham in a box at the motel.

Rockhound
01-20-2009, 20:48
My two cents. Start with 3-4 days worth of food. maildrop 3-4 day resupply to Mountain Crossings. Resupply at grocery stores in Hiawassee and Franklin. Have a maildrop at Fontana Dam (6 days worth) to get you to Standing Bear. You can get enough food there for a 2 day hike into Hot Springs where you can pick up a maildrop (6 days worth) that will get you to Erwin. Get enough food there for 3 or 4 days until you reach the Mountain Harbor B&B or Kincora and a maildrop at either of these places should get you to Damascus. You could even skip that last maildrop and resupply in Hampton as well as the one in Hot Springs but these towns don't offer the larger grocery stores that have better prices and more selection. You could also do an additional maildrop in Gatlinburg but I'd rather skip a 15 mile detour into a tourist trap. You can also mail more food and hike slower or mail less food and hike faster. When you get to Damascus relax, take a day or 2 off and set up your maildrops for the next 500 miles or so. By that time you'll have a better idea of your pace and food consumption rate.

Christopher Robin
01-21-2009, 18:16
Very good advice, this is about the same plan I have made up.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 20:08
It's OK advice, not sure if it's "very good".

Many people take more than two days to get from Standing Bear Farm to Hot Springs, especially if they get a late start from SBF, so for many folks, I'd advise bringing more than two days worth of food outta there unless you want to arrive in Hot Springs really hungry.

And most folks come into Kincora the fifth day out of Erwin, so 3-4 days worth of food from Erwin won't get you there unless you do big miles, and it sure won't get you to Hampton. Erwin to Hampton is over eighty miles. You're not going to do it in three days, or even four.

Alternative plan:

1. Leave Springer summit with 3-4 days worth of food.
2. Re-supply at Neel Gap either thru maildrop or purchase.
3. Re-supply in Hiawassee, there are two excellent supermarkets.
4. Re-supply in Franklin, again at the supermarket.
5. Get light re-supply at the NOC one way or the other.
6. Re-supply in Fontana. A small maildrop might be a good idea here.
7. If you're heading to Standing Bear, bring 6 days stuff out of Fontana.
If you're heading to Gatlinburg, bring 3-4 and re-supply there.
8. Bring 2 1/2 to 3 days worth out of Standing Bear.
9. You'll likely come into Erwin at the end of the 5th day out of Hot Springs.
Excellent supermarket there, no need for a maildrop.
10. Bring five days to Kincora and have Bob from Kincora drive you to the
supermarket in nearby Elizabethtown. If you're gonna stay at Mountain
Harbor Hostel on 19E, you can bring less.
11. If you stay at Kincora (and you'd be crazy not to), then you won't need
to go into Hampton. It's 50 miles from Kincora to Damascus, but they are
easy miles. You'll likely come into Damascus towards the end of the 3rd
out of Kincora.

Those interested in similar information of this sort can check out the "Articles" section of this website.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 20:22
First time anybody has said I gave good advice and you have to go rain on my parade.:mad:

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2009, 20:29
Your advice was just fine, tho I suspect you hike faster than a lot of folks.

All I'm saying is that in a few places you mentioned, I'd bring a little more food.

Most folks aren't averaging 15-18 miles per day in NC and Tennessee; in my experience, it takes a bit more time for most folks to cover some of the ground you were talking about.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 20:31
You'll notice I did qualify it by saying if you hike slower carry more food.

Rockhound
01-21-2009, 20:33
But for anyone seeking advice I will once again defer to Jack. BUT I STILL AINT TAKING A MAP!!!!!!!!!!:banana

Pickleodeon
01-21-2009, 23:33
Thanks for the advice everybody!

Rambler
01-30-2009, 22:05
There are guides that publish not only the Post Offices, but the times they are open and the distance they are from the trail. There are countless post offices that are within a block or two from the trail or within a mile. There are also hostels and Inns near the trail and even some Motels and Outfitters that will hold mail for you. They are described in the various Guides.