PDA

View Full Version : "Foraging" for Spices and Such

Chance09
01-06-2009, 16:55
Has anyone seen unique spices or sauces that restaurants or stores carry in little individual packets that could easily be "foraged" so to speak. Besides the usual stuff like ketchup, mustard, BBQ, that you could easily get at any fast food joint, what else have you seen?

Today at Costco I found some parm in individual packets as well as crushed red pepper. They weigh almost nothing and I think one packet would do for at least 2 meals. I noticed that buffalo wild wings also carries a wide variety of little packets but didn't stop to see what the last time i ate there.

Is there a list on here anywhere of who carries what? I looked but couldn't find anything. I think one could come in handy.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 17:10
http://www.minimus.biz/

No need to forage...it's all right here.

sarbar
01-06-2009, 17:43
I use 2-3 Parmesan cheese packets per meal - about right :)

mudcap
01-06-2009, 18:04
I agree,pretty much everything you need,and and ships free with a $20 order.

Sarbar really knows her stuff,she might have a link for anything else that you can not find on Minimus.
http://www.minimus.biz/

No need to forage...it's all right here.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2009, 18:18
I started with the idea that I'd find what I needed at fast food restaurants. Thing was...I ended up wanting things I couldn't find. Also, stuff like Parmesan and Olive Oil does come in single servings...but, those are single servings for normal folks. You should get in the habit of using 8 ounces of oil every resupply. And if you use it heavily that small tube of grated parmesan only lasts a few days.

Tractor
01-06-2009, 18:28
I've had great luck with that minimus.biz place as well. Also Sedona Trading Company for the little spice capsules. Tasty!

JAK
01-06-2009, 22:21
I don't but stuff in small packets, but I take what I don't use at fast food places. Many give you way too much. Vinegar common at fish and chips places, and I pass one on the way to Fundy Trail Parkway. Its more of a supper stop than a breakfast stop, so it depends on when I head out. Vinegar is nice to add to a woodland salad of wood sorrel and stuff. The other thing I like to take with me is my coffee cup from Tim Hortons on the way to the trail head. I use it as an extra mug while it lasts, and then use it as tinder/kindling. I am getting better at making mugs of birch bark, but not there yet. Yellow birch is great for wintergreen flavour. Makes a good tea, and a good toothbrush.

sarbar
01-07-2009, 00:12
If Minimus doesn't have it, www.Packitgourmet.com will have it.

On the other hand I do have a page on the freezerbagcooking.com website telling you where to get a lot of the stuff - at what fast food joints :D I have no shame in asking for a few extra if I am a paying customer - ask politely and they always toss tons in.

As for oil, yep, I carry a 4 ounce bottle with me on anything over an overnighter. As for the cheese....snort, I love it. I carry a 4 ounce shaker as well :D Nearly any meal can be made better with a hefty helping of it. Seasons and thickens...lol!

OldStormcrow
01-07-2009, 09:49
When you said "foraging", I thought you actually meant foraging. In early may I like to pick ramps as I go along and add them to my evening meal. When cooked into a pasta dish they add a lot of flavor and heat. They probably keep mosquitos away, too!

Two Speed
01-07-2009, 09:52
Prolly not the most ethical thing, but the condiment counters at the fast food joints took on a whole new meaning after my first long distance hike.

Yeah, I know, wrong, but I do "forage" up condiments occasionally. So sue me. :cool:

the goat
01-07-2009, 10:00
why small packets for things like parm & crushed red pepper? just carry the store bought containers.....probably weighs the same as a bunch of little packets & it produces less trash.

BobTheBuilder
01-07-2009, 10:17
Yeah, yeah, we should all buy our little packets at Costco or over the web, but back to the original question:

Popeyes has little packets of cajun spice called "Sparkle" or "Magic", depending on where the Popeye's is located. They make your noodles and sauce that much yummier. They also have little packets of honey they hand out if you ask for your biscuits that are fantastic. Dessert to go!

Some McDonald's have little packets of jelly sitting out that you can scarf up.

The wierdest place I forage is at any Wolfgang Puck Express restaurant in an airport. I travel alot and they're showing up in more and more terminals. They have fat little packets of parmesan and red pepper just sitting around that always end up in my carry-on bag.

sarbar
01-07-2009, 13:31
Ooh! Airports are a scavengers dream - tons of them sitting there ;-) Hehheh!

Usually though delis in grocery stores are great starters - ask and they will share quite often. That is one way to get vinegar, lemon juice, Tabasco, etc.

sarbar
01-07-2009, 13:32
Starbucks for honey btw :) McDonald's for picante sauce packets. Also for ranch dressing, BBQ sauce, honey mustard sauce.....

nufsaid
01-07-2009, 13:41
Prolly not the most ethical thing, but the condiment counters at the fast food joints took on a whole new meaning after my first long distance hike.

Yeah, I know, wrong, but I do "forage" up condiments occasionally. So sue me. :cool:

Does anyone else see "foraging" just another name for stealing? There really is no free lunch. Somebody pays. It should be those getting the lunch.

sarbar
01-07-2009, 13:45
Does anyone else see "foraging" just another name for stealing? There really is no free lunch. Somebody pays. It should be those getting the lunch.
If one asks, it isn't stealing. As I have said: If you ask politely you rarely will be turned down - be polite and don't be greedy. I haven't an issue with asking if I can have a couple extra picante sauce packets with my breakfast burrito :p

nufsaid
01-07-2009, 13:47
If one asks, it isn't stealing. As I have said: If you ask politely you rarely will be turned down - be polite and don't be greedy. I haven't an issue with asking if I can have a couple extra picante sauce packets with my breakfast burrito :p

That isn't what others on this thread are talking about.

Chance09
01-07-2009, 14:48

No harm in taking a few extra while your there having lunch in my opinion.

BobTheBuilder
01-08-2009, 00:03
Nufsaid,

You're not big enough to call me a thief. I don't run into a Popeye's, steal some spice packets, and run out. I buy my lunch, take a couple of spice packets, and sit down to eat. Same thing with that goofy Puck guy's place. When I pay $12.00 for a 6" pizza, it ain't me doing the stealing.

floyd242
01-08-2009, 00:17
Racetrack (gas station) has packets of tabasco... I usually pick up an extra when I buy my morning biscuit/coffee and subway sometimes has packets of olive oil (it's not 100% olive oil unfortunately)

floyd242
01-08-2009, 00:18
Also if you get dominoes delivered they have packets of parm & red pepper. When you order online you can add them for free...

Erin
01-08-2009, 00:22
In my case, I don't have to forage except in the lunch room at the office. Everyone orders out or carries in and thows all the extras in a bowl for the taking. Duck sauce, taco sauce, mild, medium or hot, mayo, peppers, ketchup, mustard, honey, soy sauce, spices, from all kinds of different places. If you work in an office, or office building, check the break room.If there is a frige look in the bottom drawer. All restaruants seem to load up on the packets for 'to go' orders. As for olive oil, I carry it in it a little plastic bottle. A little goes along way and no trash to carry out.

Two Speed
01-08-2009, 06:49
Nufsaid,

You're not big enough to call me a thief. I don't run into a Popeye's, steal some spice packets, and run out. I buy my lunch, take a couple of spice packets, and sit down to eat. Same thing with that goofy Puck guy's place. When I pay $12.00 for a 6" pizza, it ain't me doing the stealing.What Bob said. And nufsaid, feel free to sue me if you want to.

nufsaid
01-08-2009, 13:18

Yeah, yeah, we should all buy our little packets at Costco or over the web, but back to the original question:

Popeyes has little packets of cajun spice called "Sparkle" or "Magic", depending on where the Popeye's is located. They make your noodles and sauce that much yummier. They also have little packets of honey they hand out if you ask for your biscuits that are fantastic. Dessert to go!

The wierdest place I forage is at any Wolfgang Puck Express restaurant in an airport. I travel alot and they're showing up in more and more terminals. They have fat little packets of parmesan and red pepper just sitting around that always end up in my carry-on bag.

Nufsaid,

You're not big enough to call me a thief. I don't run into a Popeye's, steal some spice packets, and run out. I buy my lunch, take a couple of spice packets, and sit down to eat. Same thing with that goofy Puck guy's place. When I pay $12.00 for a 6" pizza, it ain't me doing the stealing.

What Bob said. And nufsaid, feel free to sue me if you want to.

So look at your own words. Then Bob essentially gives me a veiled threat and the moderator agrees with him. Interesting.

Midway Sam
01-08-2009, 13:34
Lessee..

1. Chick-fil-a also has Tabasco and Red Hot sauce in packets.

2. Do not use KFC for honey. They no longer have packets of honey, they replaced them with "Honey Sauce". Seriously, look at the packets next time. They say "Honey Sauce" and contain no honey, only corn syrup.

3. Truck stop and large chain gas-stations seem to be expanding their hot-dog bars lately (a sign of the economy? but I digress...) My local Speedway has packets of diced onions, packets of pickle relish (both sweet and dill), packets of every sauce imaginable including "honey butter spread". Are you kidding!? Who puts honey-butter spread on a hot dog?

JAK
01-08-2009, 13:47
Honey Sauce eh.
Not that I don't like corn syrup, but I wish these marketing folks would be more honest.

I always check ingredients, and I'm almost always disappointed. Very hard to get 100% beef hot dogs that are 100% beef, and not starch and stuff. The ones they sell for passover are the best, marked either MK or NYK. I can't seem to find those around hear anymore.

Two Speed
01-08-2009, 13:53
So look at your own words. Then Bob essentially gives me a veiled threat and the moderator agrees with him. Interesting.
Not a mod on this forum
Based on your reaction it looks like Bob is right.
Get a life, brother. There are bigger sins to worry about.

Midway Sam
01-08-2009, 13:57
Honey Sauce eh.
Not that I don't like corn syrup, but I wish these marketing folks would be more honest.

I always check ingredients, and I'm almost always disappointed. Very hard to get 100% beef hot dogs that are 100% beef, and not starch and stuff. The ones they sell for passover are the best, marked either MK or NYK. I can't seem to find those around hear anymore.

http://www.hebrewnational.com

Available at most groceries.

nufsaid
01-08-2009, 14:19

Not a mod on this forum
Based on your reaction it looks like Bob is right.
Get a life, brother. There are bigger sins to worry about.

So, does this mean that a moderator posting in a forum they do not moderate is immune to the basic user agreement for the site?

Midway Sam
01-08-2009, 14:22
I work with bot Cub Scouts (ages 6-11) and Boy Scouts (ages 11-18) and I see less whining and bickering than I do here. Heck, I've got one kid I'm convinced still breast feeds and he doesn't cry about people picking on him as much as I have read here and in other threads today. C'mon people, you're adults.... seriously.

Two Speed
01-08-2009, 14:23
So, does this mean that a moderator posting in a forum they do not moderate is immune to the basic user agreement for the site?No, it means if the moderator on this forum feels the need they're free to do whatever they see fit.

In the meantime I'm gonna go attend to life. Have a nice day.

JAK
01-08-2009, 14:27
http://www.hebrewnational.com

Available at most groceries.Those Rabbis really know their meat. Now if we could just get some pigs to learn how to chew their own cud...

BobTheBuilder
01-08-2009, 23:43
So, does this mean that a moderator posting in a forum they do not moderate is immune to the basic user agreement for the site?
Face it, friend, you were out of line and you got called on it. I live in a city with hundreds of murders a year. Asking for extra honey at the chicken joint and bringing it hiking isn't much of a crime. Go sniff someone else's pack for a while.

Erin
01-09-2009, 00:04
Jeez folks, I can't believe there is a bicker over spices and such on this forum either.
I get so many good suggestions from this site. The bickering is the free entertainment.
Anyhew....the poster above is right about truckstops. Get a dog and all kind of relish and mayo packs. Very nice variety. We did this on the way to the AT. Took one or two apiecewith our dogs and just saved the toppings for the hike.
Thanks for the chick fillet tip.
Chinese take out places have great packets.

nufsaid
01-09-2009, 00:28

Nufsaid,

Face it, friend, you were out of line and you got called on it. I live in a city with hundreds of murders a year. Asking for extra honey at the chicken joint and bringing it hiking isn't much of a crime. Go sniff someone else's pack for a while.

"Friend", first of all you have no idea how big I am. Second, you are out of line. If you choose to spend $12 on a 6" pizza go for it. If you feel it is overpriced don't buy it. With you logic, if someone spends $150 on a hotel room they would have the right to take the linens, pillows and maybe the TV.

sarbar
01-09-2009, 01:00
Meow.

sarbar
01-09-2009, 01:03
This list is archived on my site: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/packets.htm

Don't be shy!

Ask for packets whenever you eat out. Most fast food places will give them to you if you ask nicely. I organize my packets in sandwich bags by type of condiment. Try to rotate your stock, and for items like mayo and dressings, use them up in couple months or toss them.

Honey: Chicken places, fast food and Starbucks. Starbuck's is real honey.

Butter and its imitators: Chicken and fast food.

Ketchup & mustard: Your favorite fast food place.

Salsa/picante sauce: Fast food that offers burritos and convience stores, sometimes you can find 4-8 packs of tubs at grocery stores

Ranch tubs: Fast food and Hidden Valley Dressing® in 4 packs at the grocery store.

Parmesan Cheese& Red Chilies: Costco and Sams Club food courts, any pizza joint.

Jam packets or tubs: Fast food, continental breakfasts at motels.......

Soy Sauce & sesame seeds: your favorite Chinese place or grocery store full service deli.

BBQ Sauce: fast food.

Salt and pepper packets: almost any place.

Mayonnaise and relish packets: Convience stores that sell fried foods or deli's in grocery stores.

Arby's® is great for Horsey sauce, their BBQ sauce, etc.

Many McDonalds® and KFC® have moist towelettes in packets.

Papa John's® is great as they will sell you tubs of cheese sauce, garlic sauce, marinara sauce, etc.

Wilderness Dining carries a number of packets, including oil pouches and organic salsa pouches.

www.Minimus. biz and www.packitgourmet.com as well.

nufsaid
01-09-2009, 01:12
This list is archived on my site: http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/packets.htm

Don't be shy!

Ask for packets whenever you eat out. Most fast food places will give them to you if you ask nicely. I organize my packets in sandwich bags by type of condiment. Try to rotate your stock, and for items like mayo and dressings, use them up in couple months or toss them.

Honey: Chicken places, fast food and Starbucks. Starbuck's is real honey.

Butter and its imitators: Chicken and fast food.

Ketchup & mustard: Your favorite fast food place.

Salsa/picante sauce: Fast food that offers burritos and convience stores, sometimes you can find 4-8 packs of tubs at grocery stores

Ranch tubs: Fast food and Hidden Valley Dressing® in 4 packs at the grocery store.

Parmesan Cheese& Red Chilies: Costco and Sams Club food courts, any pizza joint.

Jam packets or tubs: Fast food, continental breakfasts at motels.......

Soy Sauce & sesame seeds: your favorite Chinese place or grocery store full service deli.

BBQ Sauce: fast food.

Salt and pepper packets: almost any place.

Mayonnaise and relish packets: Convience stores that sell fried foods or deli's in grocery stores.

Arby's® is great for Horsey sauce, their BBQ sauce, etc.

Many McDonalds® and KFC® have moist towelettes in packets.

Papa John's® is great as they will sell you tubs of cheese sauce, garlic sauce, marinara sauce, etc.

Wilderness Dining carries a number of packets, including oil pouches and organic salsa pouches.

www.Minimus (http://www.Minimus). biz and www.packitgourmet.com (http://www.packitgourmet.com) as well.

Mr Bob and 2 speed weren't talking about using packets that were in their take out bag or asking nicely.

russb
01-09-2009, 10:07
Between this and some of the other threads on WB, it is obvious some people are jonesing to get into the wilderness. Boy am I glad I am a 4-season backpacker, keeps my mind at ease.... and to borrow from Dylan...

People ask me why I hike all the time
It levels my head and eases my mind
I just walk along and stroll and sing
I see better days and I do better things

No Elizabeth Taylor though.

Midway Sam
01-09-2009, 10:51
Mr Bob and 2 speed weren't talking about using packets that were in their take out bag or asking nicely.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/SewerDog/sgthulka.jpg

Give it a rest. You made your point several posts ago.

Farr Away
01-09-2009, 15:15
Yes, both points have been made: 1) Taking fistfuls of packets without asking is not ethical. 2) Asking nicely for what you want will likely result in them handing you the fistfuls of packets.

Now, can we get back to the original question?!

And thank you Sarbar for that list.

-Farr Away

floyd242
01-09-2009, 15:52
[/b][/u]

With you logic, if someone spends $150 on a hotel room they would have the right to take the linens, pillows and maybe the TV.

You really believe that? haha

It's more like taking the hotel soap and shampoo, which I do also.

Johnny Thunder
01-09-2009, 16:41
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/SewerDog/sgthulka.jpg

Give it a rest. You made your point several posts ago.

Don't call me Francis.

(I'm posting from less than two blocks away from where he was born).

Midway Sam
01-09-2009, 16:53
Don't call me Francis.

(I'm posting from less than two blocks away from where he was born).

Who? Francis or Sgt. Hulka? Either way, WAY COOL!!!

Johnny Thunder
01-09-2009, 16:57
Who? Francis or Sgt. Hulka? Either way, WAY COOL!!!

Sinatra, dude. Sinatra.

Midway Sam
01-09-2009, 17:22
Sinatra, dude. Sinatra.

Hmmm.... not sure how we got from Stripes to Sinatra, but OK, my bad.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2009, 17:48
As opposed to "foraging" spices, you can also easily buy them. I carry about the largest spice bag around, and it's got all sorts of good stuff in it. Dollar stores are great for this, especially down South, as you can get all sorts of spices for .50 a bottle. I either split a bottle amongst friends or I might put it in my bump box so I can periodically refill my spice bags, which are usually small Ziplocks. This way, I always carry the following: Italian seasoning; Crushed red pepper flakes; lemon pepper; garlic powder; onion powder; seasoned salt; curry powder, and sometimes other stuff. These go into EVERYTHING I cook; for pennies a day it makes a Lipton or mashed potatoes or a tuna packet taste like something you'll actually enjoy eating.

BobTheBuilder
01-12-2009, 23:35
Be prepared!