PDA

View Full Version : Do I Really Need a Guidebook?

Nuts
01-06-2009, 22:06
Hi All,

I'm definitely carrying maps, and the ones that I already have seem to provide clear data on how to get to towns and the such. Do I really need a guidebook?

Opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 22:10
no guidebook needed. the Data Book or Thru-hikers Handbook will be good to have

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2009, 22:14
YES.
And given the choice between only having a map or companion/data book, I'd take the companion every time. Gives you lots of info not on the maps, such as water, campgrounds, shelters, town services(stores, hostels, hotels, laundry, etc). You'd be absoutely nuts :eek: :D not to at minimum download the ALDHA companion and print it out to take with you. The section guides are overkill though.

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 22:18
The thing you need in the guidebooks is the town info. Makes life a lot easier

Nest
01-06-2009, 22:23
If you hike this year without a guidebook you will be the one who is always asking to borrow someone elses to see what it says. It gets very annoying, and makes you very unpopular. It isn't necessary, but for the reasons above you probably should carry one.

trippclark
01-06-2009, 22:26
Could you hike all or part of the AT without a guidebook? Of course, but why? The guidebook are all relatively inexpensive (compared to the maps) and provide a wealth of information. They are also lightweight, and even less weight when you tear them apart and carry just what you need (if thru hiking, put in a bounce box or have sections mailed to you along the trail). While I would suggest carrying both, I think that I'd agree with the comment above. If I was forced to carry either a guidebook or maps, but could not carry both, I think that I would carry the guidebook.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 22:54
Yes , thru hiking yes, section hiking - no.
Ask any question to a thru hiker and that guidebook come flying out and in seconds the distance to the next shelter is revealed. Cliff notes for the AT.

Sly
01-06-2009, 23:10
Hi All,

I'm definitely carrying maps, and the ones that I already have seem to provide clear data on how to get to towns and the such. Do I really need a guidebook?

Opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By guide book do you mean the ATC series or something like the ALDHA Companion, Applachian Pages or Thru-Hikers handbook. The latter are only $15 or so, and well worth it. Otherwise, you'll be reading everyone elses.

FritztheCat
01-06-2009, 23:14
I notice a lot of folks tear the pages out of their guidebooks to save weight and only carry the pages they are currently hiking. Does anyone know if the publishers of these books have ever considered perferated pages for their books? Just curious.

Freeze
01-06-2009, 23:27
YES.
And given the choice between only having a map or companion/data book, I'd take the companion every time. Gives you lots of info not on the maps, such as water, campgrounds, shelters, town services(stores, hostels, hotels, laundry, etc). You'd be absoutely nuts :eek: :D not to at minimum download the ALDHA companion and print it out to take with you. The section guides are overkill though.

No maps? Don't say that too loud around here. :D

Freeze
01-06-2009, 23:41
no guidebook needed. the Data Book or Thru-hikers Handbook will be good to have

that's lousy advise Nuts. take a guidebook.

PS to LW: This is just too funny!

snowhoe
01-06-2009, 23:47
yes, nest is right. I dont know how many times in the morning or before bed people would ask to see my data book.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2009, 23:47
the Data Book and Handbook are not guidebooks

Freeze
01-07-2009, 00:02
the Data Book and Handbook are not guidebooks

'Guidebook' and 'Handbook' are synonyms.

guide·book (gdbk)
n.
A handbook of directions and other information, especially for travelers or tourists.

snowhoe
01-07-2009, 00:14
I didnt want to say a certain persons guide book because people get their thongs up in their butt further.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 09:42
maps: optional guidebook: must have

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 09:45
i've never seen anybody with a guidebook.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 10:09
semantics LW. Guidebooks offer info on lodging, restaraunts etc... so I said guidebook.

max patch
01-07-2009, 10:11
'Guidebook' and 'Handbook' are synonyms.

Nope. Sly and LW understand the difference.

"Handbook" is the Companion, AT Pages, and Thru Hikers Handbook. Definitely carry on a thu.

"Guidebook" is the series of state guides published by the ATC. Most hikers do not carry Guidebooks on a thru.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 10:15

"Handbook" is the Companion, AT Pages, and Thru Hikers Handbook. Definitely carry on a thu.

"Guidebook" is the series of state guides published by the ATC. Most hikers do not carry Guidebooks on a thru.

thank you. you understand.

handbooks are NOT essential as rockhound says. very helpful to have but one can still hike without one

Blissful
01-07-2009, 11:49
ALDHA companion or Thru hiker handbook makes it a heck of a lot easier out there, esp with resupply, imo.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 11:54
ALDHA companion or Thru hiker handbook makes it a heck of a lot easier out there, esp with resupply, imo.

yes but these books weren't always available. i remember getting to a town and asking a local where stuff was. real simple

jersey joe
01-07-2009, 11:58
Of course you don't need them but they are helpful. Check out the Aldha companion (for free) to see all the useful information... http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Blissful
01-07-2009, 11:58
yes but these books weren't always available. i remember getting to a town and asking a local where stuff was. real simple

But they are available now so life is even simpler.

:)

Or maybe more complex since there is more than one way to view things.

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 12:03
Don't need them but they are fun to have. Just copy the pages you need and put them in a baggie.

garlic08
01-07-2009, 12:12
I notice a lot of folks tear the pages out of their guidebooks to save weight and only carry the pages they are currently hiking. Does anyone know if the publishers of these books have ever considered perferated pages for their books? Just curious.

The 2008 Appalachian Pages had perforated pages, I assume the '09 version will do the same.

I sectioned the book in about 50 page chunks before the hike, so I used a blade anyway, it was faster. The perforations only work for one page at time.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 18:35
Nuts:

Most folks will want to make use of one of the annually published A.T. handbooks both before and during their hikes, for any number of reasons, the main one being that these books contain all sorts of information that won't be found in your maps:

Among other things, the books will tell you:

*Where the Post Office is (or other spots that accept hiker mail).
*Where one can purchase food
*Where one can purchase other things......clothes, replacement gear, etc.
*Where the good (and cheap!) places to eat are located
*Where one can lodge
*Where one can get on the Internet
*Where the health clinics are
*Where the banks and ATMs are

Many Trail towns (say Erwin, Pearisburg, or Gorham) are really spread out, so it's really useful to have a good street map of the town with you, so you can more intelligently plan your town visits. It's a real drag to spend three hours tramping all over a town before you realize you need to go to the Outfitter, which is now three miles away, tho a few hours before, you were a five minute walk from it but didn't realize it. In short, the town maps are REALLY useful when you get to a town you've never been to).

The handbooks will also give information on what things cost (especially lodging places like hostels or motels) and this will greatly help you plan where you might want to stay, or how long you plan to be there. The books aloso will give details on different services offered by different businesses. Is there a washer/dryer on premises? A computer? Can you tent? Is it dog friendly? And of course, the books will mention all sorts of other things........do you need a shoe store? Interested in a bookshop? A natural food store? How about a barber? Maybe a movie theater? In a larger town, knowing where these places are located (or if they even exist!) can be really useful.

The books will also tell you hours of operation of businesses and facilities (including Post Offices), which will certainly save you a few unfortunate surprises, like arriving to get your mail on the one day a place happens to be closed.

And it's not just town information. The books have all sorts of other useful information as well, including campsites, shelters, water sources, side trails, places of interest, etc.

In short, could you hike the A.T. without making use of one of the three principal trail handbooks?

Sure.

But most people don't and for good reason.

CrumbSnatcher
01-07-2009, 19:31
just got my 92' handbook in the mail. ready to go

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 19:41

Noted. Thank you. Yes you'll need a handbook. No maps are not necessary.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 19:50
Christ, here we go again.

No maps aren't necesssary.

Strictly speaking, neither are shoes or extra clothes.

But prudent people make sure to have 'em along. :rolleyes:

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 20:16
If Jack and LW say it's so, it's so. They each have many more miles than me so I will certainly defer to them. For me personally when I hike the AT, I aint carrying maps. I can only hope Jack or LW come to rescue me if I do get into any real trouble.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:21
Sure we will.

Assuming we can find you, which is very frequently difficult or impossible when dealing with folks who insist on travelling without maps. :D

joshua5878
01-07-2009, 20:29
thank you. you understand.

handbooks are NOT essential as rockhound says. very helpful to have but one can still hike without one

So you guys are saying carry the AT Pages AND the Thru Hikers Handbook??? The weight keeps on pilin up!

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 20:32
Sure we will.

Assuming we can find you, which is very frequently difficult or impossible when dealing with folks who insist on travelling without maps. :D

I'll always be sure to carry a bottle of Jim Beam with me. That should give you a little extra motivation.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 20:32
Joshua:

All 3 of the major trail handbooks are very similar. It really doesn't matter which one you take, but no, there's no compelling reason to take more than one.

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 20:33
So you guys are saying carry the AT Pages AND the Thru Hikers Handbook??? The weight keeps on pilin up!

Dont forget your copy of A Walk In The Woods too.

joshua5878
01-07-2009, 20:37
Dont forget your copy of A Walk In The Woods too.

Oh great! Hardback or soft?? Or maybe a AudioCD, then I need a boombox....

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2009, 21:06
If Jack and LW say it's so, it's so. They each have many more miles than me so I will certainly defer to them. For me personally when I hike the AT, I aint carrying maps. I can only hope Jack or LW come to rescue me if I do get into any real trouble.

Just don't go gettin' lost in NH without that map--Jack is liable to send you an S&R bill...:D

Colter
01-07-2009, 22:31

The guidebook I used was The Thru-Hiker's Handbook. I found it extremely useful, especially for distances, shelter locations, town information and water sources. It was well worth the weight for me. I didn't carry maps or databook.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 23:07

sorry you're upset, princess. enjoy your hike if you ever do it :)

Blissful
01-07-2009, 23:13
Oh great! Hardback or soft?? Or maybe a AudioCD, then I need a boombox....

Actually I just got this RCA MP3 player that takes a micro SD disk for audio books. Weighs nothing. So you can take books...