PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a Thru in two?

MDhiker1967
01-06-2009, 22:13
If you hiked in year 1 from Springer to Harpers and in year 2 Harpers to Katahdin what time of the year would you leave each place?
:-?

TrippinBTM
01-06-2009, 22:15
any time you want!

but if you want to be part of the main thru hiker pack, I'd leave Springer around the end of March, and Harpers Ferry around the beginning or middle of June.

MDhiker1967
01-06-2009, 22:17
If being with the pack was not a concern and you wanted to hike each half in the best weather times of the year???

Marta
01-06-2009, 22:41
I'd probably go Springer to HF in April, May, and June, for the best wildflower season. I'd go Katahdin to HF in July, Aug, and Sept, for long day length and warm, but not hot, weather.

emerald
01-06-2009, 22:44
The best time to be in the south is before it gets hot and before the mountain laurel finishes blooming. Once it's finished, in my mind summer begins even if my calendar disagrees. This time frame corresponds more or less with what Marta just posted. I might be contrary and consider hiking SOBO maybe starting north of Harpers Ferry in Pennsylvania at Port Clinton, Swatara Gap or Duncannon.

My preference would be to avoid hiking the middle in summer. It's the easiest place to begin a hike from the standpoint of the terrain. See 1st paragraph about hiking SOBO.

New England would be where I would want to be in the fall, but you'll need to be prepared to deal with low temps if you want fall color. I might take my chances and try to finish as late in the hiking season as possible, finish at Abol Bridge or Daicey Pond or do some sort of flip and hike SOBO after a warm-up hike in the middle states.

You would have more flexibility by taking shorter hikes and not confining yourself to a particular direction, but then your logistics become more complex and your travel expenses increase.

Blissful
01-06-2009, 23:07
Yes, avoid hiking in the south in the summer. Hot and humid.

Maine is great in the fall.

Peaks
01-07-2009, 10:56
Well, for what it's worth, I did Springer to Harpers Ferry, starting on April 24, behind the main pack one year. And I did Harpers Ferry to Katahdin starting on May 22, ahead of the main pack.

Splitting the trail over 2 years was a good decision for me. Althought I was anxious to continue the first year, it gave me time to better prepare me for the second half. And I didn't get burn-out either year. And 5 to 6 months is too long for me to be away from family and other obligations. So, that's what worked for me.

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 13:19
Springer 1st of May, Katahdin 1st of July.

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 13:26
I have a friend who did HF to Springer and Katahdin to HF. She loved that direction.

I concur with Plodderman.

PanicTX
01-07-2009, 21:36
So May 1st is about a month too early to start at Harper's Ferry and head north?

Peaks
01-08-2009, 09:26
So May 1st is about a month too early to start at Harper's Ferry and head north?

I'd say it's a little early, but not too early. Things to avoid: Mud season in Vermont which is over by Memorial Day, Spring runnoff in Maine which is over by July 1. But you will undoubtedly hit black fly season in New England. Bring the deet.

PanicTX
01-08-2009, 11:23
Thanks very much. I think I'll go through with May 1st as planned.

PanicTX
01-13-2009, 20:28
There is some fantastic information on here and everyone seems to be very willing to offer great advice, making me even more excited to get out there and get started.

I don't want to start a whole new thread about it, but it would be better for my schedule to leave (Harper's) in the middle of April and head north. Am I going to be alone most of the time? Will I spend many nights in snow or below 15 degrees or so? Any other advice would be very helpful and appreciated.