PDA

View Full Version : "Waterproof" boots for bog sloshers

bkrownd
01-06-2009, 23:28
I am returning to the quest for "waterproof" boots after a three day outing in a very wet sphagnum bog rainforest in non-waterproof boots. The conventional wisdom as I understand it is that it's very difficult to completely seal the goretex bootie, so most boots will eventually leak a bit and some will be hopelessly leaky due to poor manufacture. I have an old pair of "waterproof" gore-tex lined boots that are good enough for one day out in the rain, and better than nothing, but they've never been truly waterproof and are breaking down and inadequate for a return trip to the bog.

Our leader seemed to be dry and happy in LL Bean Cresta hikers, sloshing through the same soup that the rest of us were. (with the help of gaiters, of course) I was a jaded skeptic (cheap and lazy, really), but I'm inspired to find something better because I'm hoping to get wet and muddy more often this year and work for longer periods in even more wild and remote bogs. However, I'm looking for a tough 8"-10" hunting or work boot, not a low hiker like the Cresta.

Yeah, I know the True Answer to standing in water is rubber Wellies, but I'm looking for an adequate compromise boot that will feel good in all conditions for all-day trekking and be tough and supportive in the roughest terrain.

What I'm hoping for here is input on the quality (or lack) of sealing of gore-tex "waterproof" boots from different manufacturers. Is there anything to look into besides gore-tex and gore-tex-alikes, short of solid rubber? You hear so many different opinions from so many different people, who knows what to believe. I just know that the words "gore-tex" don't necessarily mean a whole lot on their own.

I've been browsing the Danner web site again, which has a number of models that look exactly like what I'm interested in, but short of plunking down the $300 and giving the boots a month-long workout myself I have no idea how "waterproof" they'll actually be. A plus with Danner is that they'll also resole or rebuild their boots. Anyone here have experience in the wet in their work and hunting boots? Any other good manufacturers to look at? I think Red Wing is a no-go since they only seem to want to do business through their brick-and-mortar dealers and I'm not going to book a flight to visit a dealer. LL Bean has a couple of other models, but I'm not going to assume anything about them based on the Cresta. The origin and quality of some of Cabela's boots is mysterious, as well.

Retro
01-06-2009, 23:56
My two cents worth...

You may want to take a quick look here (http://www.rockyboots.com/default.aspx). I've been pleasantly surprised by Rocky Boots (http://www.rockyboots.com/default.aspx). Come winter, I work all day in wet mucky conditions and I've found their hunting boots to be not only well made and durable, but waterproof and warm. I also love my Redwings... I am far less impressed by the Danners I own.

bkrownd
01-07-2009, 00:20
The "BearClaw" looks like it means business... hehe :D

wcgornto
01-07-2009, 00:35
Cresta Hikers are excellent boots, but quite hot.

alalskaman
01-07-2009, 01:49
What about good old shoepacs? LL Bean's Maine Hunting shoe...definitely waterproof, and yet the leather top makes them less steamy than wellies. I used them a lot in Alaska muskeg stuff, and for me they are fine on trails also. I don't feel a need for "support" so your needs might be different.

hnryclay
01-07-2009, 10:40
What about good old shoepacs? LL Bean's Maine Hunting shoe...definitely waterproof, and yet the leather top makes them less steamy than wellies. I used them a lot in Alaska muskeg stuff, and for me they are fine on trails also. I don't feel a need for "support" so your needs might be different.

I second the Bean Boots, they are comfortable, not as much support as a hiking boot but will keep your feet absolutely dry. They are tougher then wellies as well, since the top of the boot is leather, and everything is triple stiched.

Quixote
01-07-2009, 12:03
A good pair of "waterproof" boots, gaiters,wool socks, poly-pro liners.Staying dry is relative if your on the trail for any length of time.Even on the dryest days persperation causes wetness.I use goretex boots for the "breathability", agian relative. I use the same system year round, including multiple day backpacking in the winter in N.H. "Whites".

Wags
01-07-2009, 13:30
they may be a bit too heavy for your needs, but 'mickey mouse' boots from a military surplus store may be what you're looking for

bkrownd
01-07-2009, 15:01
Staying dry is relative if your on the trail for any length of time.Even on the dryest days persperation causes wetness.

That's OK, the low level of wetness from perspiration can be controlled by changing socks. When boots leak it's a whole 'nother level of wet that changing socks won't help. :)

bkrownd
01-07-2009, 15:24
What about good old shoepacs?

They look like 'duck boots' from my past, which I don't remember as fitting very well. I really want to keep the comfortable tight stable fit of traditional boots, which is why I wasn't comfortable with the idea of wellies. My experience with them is limited, however.

Durability of the sole on rough abrasive rock is also a worry.

lbbrown
01-07-2009, 18:53
Take a look at www.overshoes.com (http://www.overshoes.com). Versatile, lite and warm. You can get insulated or uninsulated or high top or medium. Hike in your usual footwear and break these out when the trail gets sloppy. No need to wear wet, muddy shoes all day.

bkrownd
01-07-2009, 19:35
I think what you meant is http://www.overshoe.com ;) Hm. Thanks for the link, because I haven't seen those before. It's something to consider for certain things like when I'm travelling and bring my lighter non-waterproof boots into unfamiliar locations. Seems a bit too bulky for daily use, though. I spend a lot of days in occasional rain, mud and wet grass here, so the waterproofing I'm interested in is for more than just the bog trips.

I'm mostly wondering what people consider to be the limits of waterproofing of traditional boots. My current cheap "wet" boots will wear out soon enough, and that pair isn't worth resoling.

~Ronin~
01-07-2009, 22:30
http://www.amazon.com/Khombu-Mens-Excursion-Boot/dp/B000S5W5AA

If you can find a pair of these anywhere I highly recommend them, though they are a discontinued style so Ebay may be your best bet. I own a pair and they are very warm and extremely waterproof. I have stood in 5 inch deep gushing water and never had a drop of water come through. They are comfortable to walk in (although more than 8 hours at a time sometimes hurts your feet depending on the terrain, in a bog you should be fine though) and are not overly heavy. I have seen regular hiking boots that are the same weight. The only beef I have with them, and it is a minor one, is that if it is not very cold out, your feet tend to get pretty sweaty. Don't know if you'll be able to track a pair down, I bought mine last winter, but if you can you won't be disappointed.