PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Va 620 South of Dragon's Tooth?

NC Blaster
01-07-2009, 08:34
I usually don't post because I can usually find the answer to my question on WB if I look hard enough, but I gave up looking this time. I have read that there are approximately 4 parking spaces across from the foot bridge at Va 620. Is this accurate? Has anybody parked there before? If so, how crowded is the parking area and is there alternative parking if it is full? I just wanted to get the facts before I drive 3 hours to find a full lot.

Thanks for the help

Hikerhead
01-07-2009, 09:03
Most times that I've parked there, mine was the only car. You'll be able to find a place to park your car if a crowd happens to show up. I don't know if I would leave a car there overnite, however I can also say I've never heard of a car being vandalized there either.

NC Blaster
01-07-2009, 09:15
Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the North Slope of Dragon's Tooth. I've heard horror stories about it and I have had knee problems before. Up hill good....Down hill bad.

NC Blaster
01-07-2009, 09:16
Do you shuttle?

fredmugs
01-13-2009, 12:57
This may be a no value added post but I am pretty certain that I parked there this past Oct. There are basically parking spots in between the trees and there is also a large enough space to camp in although I believe it is discouraged.

I hiked the dragons tooth section southbound from Hwy 311 to Hwy 620 (13.6 miles). I have the same knee issues and am very glad I hiked it southbound.

bigcranky
01-13-2009, 14:42
Nobo from Dragon's Tooth is more of a rock scramble down than a steep hike down. I didn't have knee issues when I went that way. But it would have been a serious problem had it been covered in snow/ice/rain, etc.

peakbagger
01-13-2009, 18:28
In 2002 there was plenty of parking and a local bear that was very agressive about getting into cars. We did a section hike and came back and the car was covered with muddy bearpaws (and a few scratches). Do note that the one end of the road (probably the south end is officially a "ford" through a stream, there was private bridge but it was in very questionable condition.