PDA

View Full Version : Rain in SE

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 11:06
We had a real gully washer here the last 24 hours. About 5" in Chattanooga. Rock slides are reported in the Smokies. This should help the water conditions along the trail considerably in GA,NC & TN - but I pity the fool who was out walking in the rain that we had. It was torrential at times. In fact, schools are closed here today because of flooding.

KG4FAM
01-07-2009, 11:16
We need it bad. Hartwell Lake is down so much that an old bridge has surfaced from before they built the dam. A month or two ago they said that we had less than 300 days of tap water left before the pumps would be above the water line. We have only got about 3" out of this whole thing.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2009, 11:20
I'll get no time on my bike today...but we did need it - here in south eastern Georgia.

Bulldawg
01-07-2009, 11:27
It has rained so much here in the last 30 days that almost my entire winter garden has turned WHITE from over watering. The only thing still alive is the collards and turnips. I know the broccoli is dead, the cauliflower is dead, the cabbage is stunted and not growing at all, and I am sure the spring onions are rotting in the ground as we speak. And feeding the cows, now getting in the pasture is a joke. We have had around 15 inches in the last 30 days. But I just heard that Lanier was coming up at the rate of 1 inch per hour right now. So I guess that is a good thing. Should give FTS some water to work with down in Hot Lanter!!

jersey joe
01-07-2009, 11:44
North Jersey schools are mostly closed or delayed openings because of all the ice/rain we have gotten. Everything is covered with a sheet of ice. Hiking in this, if not almost impossible, would be miserable.

Tipi Walter
01-07-2009, 11:47
I've spent the last several nights down in my 12x12 basecamp tent which is located right on the banks of a little perennial creek and I feel like a baby possum suckling up against his momma. There's nothing better than a night in a tent in the rain. The creek's up, no doubt, but good god we need it as there's been a two year drought in east TN and we're getting back to normal. All springs in the Citico/Slickrock, Cherokee NF and Nantahala should be aflowin' now!

Blissful
01-07-2009, 11:51
Glad to see it in areas that need it. But sometimes it's either feast or famine it seems.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2009, 11:57
Glad to see it in areas that need it. But sometimes it's either feast or famine it seems.
True, but not so bad here in the states, you want to see famine go to Africa or the middle east. They got it bad - WRT climate. I'm very thankful to live here and will never forget what I've seen over there.

Highway Man
01-07-2009, 13:43
I may be selfish. I want to see more rain, more snow, and cold weather in the winter so that I can get water easier on my thru this year.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2009, 13:53
I may be selfish. I want to see more rain, more snow, and cold weather in the winter so that I can get water easier on my thru this year.
I'm even more selfish. I want it to rain just before I get there so the springs are gushing and be sunny while I'm there and then rain again after I leave.

BR360
01-07-2009, 14:04
[/URL]Check out this map of precip so far this year (January) in the SE:

http://water.weather.gov/index_nonjs.php?layer[]=0&layer[]=1&layer[]=4&timetype=YM&units=engl&timeframe=current&product=observed&loctype=STATE&loc=stateTN (http://water.weather.gov/index_nonjs.php?layer%5B%5D=0&layer%5B%5D=1&layer%5B%5D=4&timetype=YM&units=engl&timeframe=current&product=observed&loctype=STATE&loc=stateTN)

You can play around with this and select new data and time periods.

Look at that little green section in SW North Carolina (this is around the Standing Indian>Wayah Bald area). This is an area that has endured the worst part of the drought for the longest time. At least it is some rain---1.5-2"---however!

Also note the intense red area mostly in NC, adjoining TN. This is the NE part of the Smokies.

[URL="http://water.weather.gov/index_nonjs.php?layer"]

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 14:25
We had a real gully washer here the last 24 hours. About 5" in Chattanooga. Rock slides are reported in the Smokies. This should help the water conditions along the trail considerably in GA,NC & TN - but I pity the fool who was out walking in the rain that we had. It was torrential at times. In fact, schools are closed here today because of flooding.
Achilles is finishing up his SOBO and left Standing Bear 2 days ago hiking int GSMNP. Im sure all the rain we got down here is sleet, ice and snow at 6000 feet. Hope hes all right

MOWGLI
01-07-2009, 14:28
Achilles is finishing up his SOBO and left Standing Bear 2 days ago hiking int GSMNP. Im sure all the rain we got down here is sleet, ice and snow at 6000 feet. Hope hes all right

I'd like to hear about the weather from him. Does he have a journal?

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 14:37
Shouldn't have any trouble finding water. Rain has been needed.

Cabin Fever
01-07-2009, 15:31
We are nearing small scale flooding in northeast Tennessee. Lots of small streams getting close to breaking banks. Golf course in Kingsport about half under water this morning.

Tipi Walter
01-07-2009, 15:35
BTW, all this stuff is supposed to turn to snow later tonight or tomorrow(Wed-Thur)--so get your gear, boys, and hit the high ground.

Tennessee Viking
01-07-2009, 19:03
We are nearing small scale flooding in northeast Tennessee. Lots of small streams getting close to breaking banks. Golf course in Kingsport about half under water this morning.Did a couple small hikes last couple days. Tuesday, Clarks Creek and Horse Creek were at high flow with some smaller branches flooding. Today, Indian Creek at Limestone Cove & Unaka Mountain is at the cresting mark. Rocky Branch along Limestone Cove Trail was flowing out of its bank and onto the trail. It was too dangerous to cross. As I turned back, snow flurries started down.

I doubt it will stick since its still just above freezing, except for the shaded parts of the higher elevations.

KG4FAM
01-07-2009, 19:09
BTW, all this stuff is supposed to turn to snow later tonight or tomorrow(Wed-Thur)--so get your gear, boys, and hit the high ground.Awesome, I had been planning on going skiing this weekend with some friends for about a month now.