PDA

View Full Version : umbrellas?

Zia
01-07-2009, 12:12
On the cover of the 2008 thru-hikers, companion book the hiker has an umbrella in her pack. How many of you have or will be taking one? They are available through Golite.

Pickleodeon
01-07-2009, 13:05
I've heard of hikers that swear by them. I personally have never seen anyone carry them, but then again I haven't done a ton of hiking in the rain.
I'm planning to take an umbrella hat, actually. Yes, they look ridiculous, but I figure it's hands free, it will keep my glasses and hair dry, and after three days of pouring rain, it'll make people smile to see me walking down the trail in a rainbow umbrella hat. I'm not sure of the durability of them yet, mine is in the process of shipping to my house. I can update when it comes.

Deadeye
01-07-2009, 13:31
I carry an umbrella all the time. Unfortunately, I use it a lot, too:mad:

The Golite 'brolly is fine, but there are also plenty of collapsible umbrellas that are far less expensive, a little lighter, work just as well, and pack down small.

For me, the trick is to hold the umbrella loosely, so that it can rotate in your grip when you brush against things. If you use an iron grip, it's more likely to tear (I assume - I've never actually torn any of mine). A loose grip lets you go with the flow.

IMO, it's a great option to carry, and well worth the half pound. There are days when you need a rain suit, but for most of the warmer months, rainwear is just too hot & sweaty... an umbrella keeps you reasonably dry, and very comfortable - you can't get any more ventilated.

mountain squid
01-07-2009, 13:33
I used an umbrella. Even figured out a way to rig it to my shoulder straps so I could use my trekking poles. I also carried a lightweight wind jacket.

It is very convenient in the summer. Alot of hikers don't bother to put on their rain gear. I can get to my umrella without removing my pack, so it only takes a second to pop it open and then stay dry. Sometimes it is tough to get around a blow down though.

I didn't get it until Damascus, though, and probably wouldn't start off with one. The warmth of a rain jacket is probably needed in the beginning.

It also didn't work well in The Whites - too windy. It got inverted once, so I didn't use it again in The Whites.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I don't know about that 'umbrella hat' thing...

Rockhound
01-07-2009, 14:18
if your hands arent going to be free in the rain Id much rather have them holding hiking poles and not an umbrella. When I first saw this I thought it was a humor thread. An umbrella? Over hanging branches and wind will destroy it, not having your hands free in case of a fall, you look ridiculous, you should already have rain gear, needless weight. all me reasons for my anti umbrella stance. seriously, an umbrella?

bigcranky
01-07-2009, 14:25
An umbrella is useful in some situations. For example, having to answer the call of nature at night in the rain, or blocking one end of a tarp in driving rain.

On the other hand, I tried to use an umbrella in a huge thunderstorm last year when crossing over the Tinker Cliffs in Virginia. When the rain is coming at you sideways, that little Golite umbrella doesn't provide all that much coverage. I was soaking wet, chilled to the bone, and not happy. A rain shell would have been a better choice.

Mags
01-07-2009, 15:09
Umbrellas are fairly popular among LD hikers out west. More for sun protection than rain protection. With the thicker woods of the East, they may or may not be more of a pain. I've never used them personally (I prefer a wide hat), so others may have a different take.

HEre are the go-lite umbrellas in "action":

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14205&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f78a3e9fade375390b8197797125e37a

Blissful
01-07-2009, 15:23
Paul Bunyan, my son, took one for most of his hike. Hated his rain gear but loved the go lite umbrella (his was green).

Tipi Walter
01-07-2009, 15:27
An umbrella is useful in some situations. For example, having to answer the call of nature at night in the rain, or blocking one end of a tarp in driving rain.

On the other hand, I tried to use an umbrella in a huge thunderstorm last year when crossing over the Tinker Cliffs in Virginia. When the rain is coming at you sideways, that little Golite umbrella doesn't provide all that much coverage. I was soaking wet, chilled to the bone, and not happy. A rain shell would have been a better choice.

Hearing the call of the bloated bladder(or the chortling colon)while stuck inside a tent during a raging rainstorm can be problematic, solved of course by the pee pot or the "paper towel squat-release" of the more solid effluent. In other words, no umbrella needed. Let's do a poll on in-tent defecations . . . or let's not. I digress.

All this talk of gear . . . didn't someone once say "people who focus on gear . . . just don't get the outdoors."?

Arizona
01-07-2009, 15:50
I like using an umbrella. On the PCT and Arizona Trail I used it mainly to keep the sun off me. But it was also good for rain, as long as it was not extremely windy. With a rain jacket, I still get water on my face. But, the umbella keeps my face dry. I looked at the Golite umbrella, but it was too heavy. I found a fold up umbrella at department store that weighed half as much as the Golite.

dmax
01-07-2009, 18:42
They also work good for starting a stove in a down pour. I'd probably stay away from a metal one - lightning rod.

Pedaling Fool
01-07-2009, 18:46
I've seen the hands-free type for hiking, but seems like they'd be a real pain in many areas of the AT. Just too many places where you're always brushing against the brush.

trippclark
01-07-2009, 19:33
Absolutely! I used -- and sweated in -- so-called "breathable" raingear for the first couple of hundred miles of the A.T. before switching to an umbrella. Since switching, some 700 miles ago, I would now never choose to hike without an umbrella. I feared, at first, that an umbrella would get caught up in "green tunnel" overhang, but this has been a very minor problem. (I shuld add that I am 5' 8", and a much taller hiker may have more problems with the umbrella snagging on limbs.) With the umbrella, I can hike at normal pace with complete "breathability"! I have three different umbrellas for hiking. One is by MountainSmith and the other two are GoLite. Each of them weights about 10 - 11 oz. I usually carry one of the GoLites. My hiking rain gear is the umbrella and gaiters. This works well for me in most conditions. I also carry DriDucks top and a rain wrap. If the wind is blowing a lot, I'll also wear the rain wrap while hiking, but I have never (yet) had to wear the DriDucks for hiking. I do use them for "in camp" use (when two hands are needed) and for insulation. YMMV

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2009, 20:38
I've never used an umbrella in the woods other than while looking for a lost golf ball, but I did read once that they were standard equipment for explorers in the old days--Lewis and Clark considered them an indespensible piece of gear. Maybe I should consider it...hmmm:-?

slowandlow
01-07-2009, 22:38
My wife and I each carry a Snowpeak umbrella and swear by them. The canopy is bigger than the Golite, weighs half as much and folds up to half the size. I bought ours directly from Snowpeak.

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 23:03
On the cover of the 2008 thru-hikers, companion book the hiker has an umbrella in her pack. How many of you have or will be taking one? They are available through Golite.

umbrellas on the AT aren't needed. they'll fetch up in rhodo. useless gear in my opinion.

banksville
01-07-2009, 23:13
My brother swore by his umbrella, but I thought he was nuts until I tried one. Although alittle heavy, I always use a $3.00 green umbrella from Walmart. Hiked a weekend in a driving rainstorm that never let up. Never even pulled out my raingear. Stuffed the pole in my pack and off I went. It doesn't collect condensation, or sweat, like a rain jacket can. I only leave it at home if there is no chance of rain in the forecast.

Screech
01-11-2009, 13:04
Maybe it is because I got trained to just get used to the terrible rainy weather in Maine last summer but I feel like I don't care if I get wet hiking anymore. I do carry rain gear, but I don't wear it while hiking.

I feel like if it is cold enough that you feel an umbrella/rain gear is going to save your life, maybe you should just set up your tent or seek shelter and spend some time updating your journal and getting fat.

Screech
01-11-2009, 13:07
Lewis and Clark considered them an indespensible piece of gear. Maybe I should consider it...hmmm:-?

At first it sounds reasonable, but then I thought about it.

WHat type of gear were these men using to keep warm. Certainly not synthetic fast drying fibers. An umbrella would certainly be critical for an explorer who can't afford to get wet. They also didn't have nylon waterproof tents that set up in minutes.

snaplok
01-11-2009, 13:43
I always wondered about using an umbrela while hiking in the rain. Personally I don't even use one in the city, I think there should be an umbrela training school to teach people how to use one around other people. Nothing funnier that a really short person with a golf umbrela going under scaffolding. Can't imaging it any different on the trail. ;)

dmax
01-11-2009, 15:11
I use a golite and never have problems with the rhodos. I never hit the trail without it. Find a way at home to attach to your bag and your set to go.

WritinginCT
01-11-2009, 16:12
For anyone interested Backcountry Gear has the Snow Peak umbrella as part of their end of the year clearance sale for $30 (it's $40 on the Snow Peak site)

RockDoc
01-15-2009, 00:32
I always carry a brolly on the AT, and usually get to use it.

My fav is the Raines "Skinny mini", about $13, weighs 5.1 oz. Replacement guaranteed by Raines.

I've survived some horiffic downpours under it, staying darn near DRY. OK for hiking under too.

I carry rain gear too, but I don't even want to think about wearing just rain gear with no brolly.

Pickleodeon
01-15-2009, 10:30
I just got my umbrella hat in the mail. It's not the most sturdy thing in the world, but I think it'll work. It's just the opening/closing part, you have to be a little careful not to bend the metal. but once it's opened it's strong. Seems pretty sweet. and it weighs like 2-3 oz.

the_black_spot
01-15-2009, 18:17
lookin forward to testin out my golite dome. only trip i brought it on it snowed!!

Zia
01-16-2009, 21:29
backcountrygear.com is sold out of snowpeak 2008 model. I might buy the chrome dome or do y'all think it's better to have a collapsible model like the new snowpeak.

springerfever
01-16-2009, 21:43
Interesting video from Birdiepal......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWpr0K89o4

I purchased one of these a while back. Great for regular use. Might try
it for hiking one of these days......

hopefulhiker
01-16-2009, 21:47
Luxury Lite had an umbrella that would fit into the frame of the Luxury Lite pack.. but on the AT an umbrella would not be practical most of the time..

dmax
01-17-2009, 11:34
Why is that??? I found it to be practcal and usefull on the AT.

Smile
01-17-2009, 12:19
I used one this past year on Trail, lots of rain, and I could not imagine not having one. I was a skeptic, and got one of those Montbell Ultralight Trekking Umbrellas (Weight: 5.67 oz / 160 g(Validated on ProLite Scales) and it was easy to slip in between my pack and back. The only setback was that it did slip to the side, hit a few branches (rhodos) but otherwise, was not too wide at all. My neck stayed dry, and I could lose the hat if I got to hot, that part I really liked.

Major downside - noise! ;)

mudhead
01-18-2009, 19:17
Interesting video from Birdiepal......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWpr0K89o4

I purchased one of these a while back. Great for regular use. Might try
it for hiking one of these days......

Where did you purchase it?
The video is worth watching, wonder if it is for real. I liked the 3:00 mark the most.

wrongway_08
01-18-2009, 19:54
Where did you purchase it?
The video is worth watching, wonder if it is for real. I liked the 3:00 mark the most.

Tha was cool (the 3:00 minute mark) but it didnt do a very good job of keeping the backpack dry :D

pyroman53
01-19-2009, 10:58
My hiking partner has used an umbella for about 1400 miles of AT over 30 years. Loves it. Carries wind shirt to supplement for cold rains. Never a problem (even over very windy TN balds in rain storm). He borrowed my poncho on our last hike (he didn't bring his windshirt and we had some cold rain) and has since bought one for himself. I'm not sure how that's going to play out. Only drawback is he has to pack the one hiking pole in order to carry umbrella. For me, I'm not a fan of the umbrella, but I have seen it work very well.

Beano
02-20-2009, 21:00
Completely unnecessary. Free showers are hard to come by. Just keep your pack dry and enjoy it.