PDA

View Full Version : Define "trail runners"

Gator 65
01-07-2009, 18:46
I have to admit that I am a bit confused on the term Trail runners.
Are they something between a standard hiking boot and say a running shoe or basic "athletic shoe" .
I have intentions of wearing Osolo Fugitve GTX boots which have about 100 miles of hiking on them but I keep reading about the trail runners and wonder if they are sturdy for an NOBO hike in poor weather.
Any info will help. My boots seem fine but I know I will need to replace them on the trail and I am reading that the trail runners are ......

1- better for your feet

2- lighter

3- Do not need a beak in period.

Straighten me out

Lone Wolf
01-07-2009, 18:48
they're running shoes made for trail running. a little sturdier and heavier than regular running shoes. serious trail runners don't use them though.

Lyle
01-07-2009, 18:50
Usually have some type of lug sole for better traction than traditional running shoes.

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2009, 19:02
Essentially it's a sneaker with a tougher sole.

It'll give you better traction than a regular running shoe, and may be a bit more rugged. It will not hold up as well as a shoe constructed specifically for hiking, not will it provide much, if any, ankle support.

jlb2012
01-07-2009, 20:44
IMO the main difference between a trail runner and a regular running shoe is that the trail runner will have a hard plastic piece built into the sole to protect against bruising one's arch.

Alligator
01-07-2009, 20:53
1- better for my feet

2- lighter than my boots

3- I did not need a beak in period.

I have had great success with preventing serious blister issues after switching from boots.

jersey joe
01-07-2009, 21:04
Trail runners typically wear out faster than a well made boot.

Gator 65
01-07-2009, 21:10
two quick questions..
1- Do I still need to wear the heavy smartwool socks and / or liners?
2- Are they available at places in Florida such as Gander Mountain or should I go to a running shoe store?

Alligator
01-07-2009, 21:23
I used to double up my socks in my hiking boots, but in the summer I wear a fairly thin on top, low hiking sock with my trail runners. I prefer something that dries fast. From the blister angle, it's better to have drier feet. In the spring and fall, I'll bring pretty regular size, ordinary hiking socks. I'd say it would depend though on what you find the most comfortable. Hiking socks have quite a variety of padding available.

Hoop
01-07-2009, 22:53
quote: "Are they available at places in Florida such as Gander Mountain or should I go to a running shoe store?"

Shop around, there's no telling; got a nice pair of New Balance on a clearance pile at Belks.
Also, look for a decent rand over the toe box.

SunnyWalker
01-07-2009, 22:59
Big 5 Sports stores, etc., have them. Academy Sports, etc.

Blissful
01-07-2009, 23:02
Boots don't give ankle support either unless they are mountaineering type and too heavy for the AT anyway. I had more problems with them than without them.

Trail runners work well. They let your feet air better. Much less blister and nail problems. They dry much quicker too when wet. No fungus feet.

Go to a running store so they can check for pronation problems etc and fit you properly.

Tinker
01-07-2009, 23:35
There's a category between trail runners and boots, often called "trail shoes" or "low top hikers" - heavier and sturdier than trail runners, lighter and not as durable (most of the time) as boots.
Some boots, as mentioned above, don't really add to ankle support, their only advantage over a low top trail shoe is that they usually don't let debris in as easily. Some people using trail shoes or trail runners use gaiters for this, but that can make hot feet sweat in summer heat.

Plodderman
01-08-2009, 07:49
1. like a low cut shoe.
2. Easy to break in.
3. Light and sturdy
4. Do not last as long as some hiking boots I have had.
5. Do not hurt my feet.
6. Good for rain and rough terrain

hikergirl1120
01-08-2009, 08:24
Are trail runners good for carrying heavier loads though?

Peaks
01-08-2009, 09:11

At the risk of getting flammed, I'd say it's a matter of judgement.

Typically trail runners have a lighter last than hiking shoes, and thus are more flexible. (I wonder if those that complain the most about PA rocks wear trail runners?).

But, the can provide more support by using an insole like Superfeet.

The current trend for thru-hikers is to go lighter, so this does carry through to lighter footwear as well. If there is one generalization, you don't see many all leather boots being used by anyone, and no Limers either. Limers used to be the standard for backpacking boots.

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2009, 09:19
Yes and no. Trail runners are fine regardless of weight on smooth ground, but can be problematic when on rocky soil. But with enough conditioning you can use trail runners on rocky terrain with your normal weight - whatever that is.

Tinker
01-08-2009, 09:26
It depends on the shoe model. Some are stiffer than others, some have better cushioning than others. Adding a plastic insole (Superfeet, etc.) helps, too.

Diamond Diggs
04-15-2009, 10:59
Thanks for all the input! I have been searching for the right kind of trail shoe best fitted for me. I have a very wide foot for a girl, and have to turn to men's shoes (this is not an issue). I have been considering NB trail runner's b/c they are great to carry shoes for wide feet. I had concerns if they would be sufficient for long distance hiking. Thanks for all your advice, I think Ive made my decision to go with the NB TR - I would rather pay 50 bucks on four pair of shoes throughout the trail and pick up some decent orthodics, then spend out high dolloar amounts for hiking boots and still have to buy additional pairs along the way.

Engine
04-15-2009, 13:03
Thanks for all the input! I have been searching for the right kind of trail shoe best fitted for me. I have a very wide foot for a girl, and have to turn to men's shoes (this is not an issue). I have been considering NB trail runner's b/c they are great to carry shoes for wide feet. I had concerns if they would be sufficient for long distance hiking. Thanks for all your advice, I think Ive made my decision to go with the NB TR - I would rather pay 50 bucks on four pair of shoes throughout the trail and pick up some decent orthodics, then spend out high dolloar amounts for hiking boots and still have to buy additional pairs along the way.

Also, check out the Adidas Kanadia TR model. My wife and I both hike in them and they are super light with a very aggressive tread pattern. Nice shoe for the money as well, I think Dick's had them on sale for 49.95 recently.

JAK
04-15-2009, 13:17
For a trail runner I look for something light that will absorb very little water.
Needs to keep the sticks and most of the dirt out but should let air and water in and out.
Lighter is better but I am happy with 12 oz per shoe in a size 12.

I have these light leather boots I have had for years that weigh only 16oz per shoe. They don't have the best traction or cushion but I am very happy with them otherwise as they are easier to keep reasonably dry in wet snow conditions. It would be nice to see more light leather shoes and boots. I might try something like a moccasin if I lose some more weight, or a mukluk for winter. No good on rocks of course, but depending on where you are hikiing it should be impossible to make something traditional and light. Leather is easier to dry with a fire, if you have that option.

Diamond Diggs
04-18-2009, 10:09
Also, check out the Adidas Kanadia TR model ...

thanks for the info. However, I checked them out - its a nice looking shoe - but the seem to run too small. I have a very large foot WIDE, and I am really looking for that perfect fit, which is something I have never had in a shoe (probably the leading cause of why I am prone to blisters on longer hikes.

BostonPaul
09-25-2009, 14:16
I've never thru-hiked the AT, but ive done sections of it in the whites in NH, and i'm a very competitive adventure racer, and the only shoe that i will wear is the Salomon Pro 3D Ultra. These trail shoes are amazing. Unlike the beefer XT Wings, they form to your fet better and dont have such high of an arch, and a slightly wider heel. You can get them at REI or EMS. They make them in gore tex as well, but from my experience in multiday adventure races and trail marathons, i'd stay away from gore tex in trail runners. Since they are low cut, the chance of getting water over flow is good, and goretex does not allow water to get in, or out.

sbhikes
09-25-2009, 20:16
Trail runners are shoes that make your feet look like this at the end of the day (you can see where my gaiters kept me clean):
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VnR7wusGJdY/Sko1C6uCY1I/AAAAAAAAE-g/pL63hSu36E8/s640/DSCN2278.JPG

dreamsoftrails
09-25-2009, 21:39
wow, Sb!!!! i hiked in chaco sandals and my feet never got that dirty!!!!

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2009, 04:17
Wow SB Pictures like that might get you deleted here at WB!

sbhikes
09-26-2009, 17:07
Wow SB Pictures like that might get you deleted here at WB!

Why is that? Are my hairy legs that offensive?

Yeah, my feet were really dirty that day. This is what you get hiking the PCT. I could never figure out how the dirt got all the way up my long pants like that. It's probably not quite so bad on the AT.

I took this picture in Belden, CA.

Diamond Diggs
09-29-2009, 17:16
thanks for the info. However, I checked them out - its a nice looking shoe - but the seem to run too small. I have a very large foot WIDE, and I am really looking for that perfect fit, which is something I have never had in a shoe (probably the leading cause of why I am prone to blisters on longer hikes.

UPDATE: OK, so I ended up getting the merrell moab ventillators in their wide size.... 1/2 size larger than I would normally purchase.... -THEY ARE GREAT!!!! THE BEST SHOE IVE EVER PUT ON MY FEET!!!!!! They make me verrrrry happy!!!!!! I did not think the wide would be wide enough - but they fit like a dream! Not one blister on my foot since I have had them (and that is saying a whole lot)!!!!

Jester2000
09-29-2009, 17:36

It depends on the trail runner. Pre-2009 Hardrocks, for example, had good support and a heavier load was no problem. As actual trail runners (the people, not the shoes) are moving towards lighter shoes, they're becoming less appropriate for carrying weight (the 2009 Hardrock is a good example here).

wow, Sb!!!! i hiked in chaco sandals and my feet never got that dirty!!!!

Feet on the PCT get much dirtier regardless of what you're wearing.

For a thru-hike, I would recommend against buying Solomons or any company that has a proprietary lacing system.

Deadeye
09-30-2009, 08:49
Sneakers = less than $50
Running shoes = $50 to $75
Trail Runners = $75 and up

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2009, 10:35
Why is that? Are my hairy legs that offensive?

Yeah, my feet were really dirty that day. This is what you get hiking the PCT. I could never figure out how the dirt got all the way up my long pants like that. It's probably not quite so bad on the AT.

I took this picture in Belden, CA.

Honest SB to better answer your question there was a thread last year about hiking bearfoot and I took the time to find the most offensive feet picture and I got deleted. There is a great story that they used to have a prize for the worst looking feet at the get togethers in LW's town each year. Some kid turned up and had toe bones sticking out and open sores. That was the last year they did that. The source on that story was from Rotten Rodney, who has hiked the trail 4 times.

sbhikes
09-30-2009, 18:16
Honest SB to better answer your question there was a thread last year about hiking bearfoot and I took the time to find the most offensive feet picture and I got deleted. There is a great story that they used to have a prize for the worst looking feet at the get togethers in LW's town each year. Some kid turned up and had toe bones sticking out and open sores. That was the last year they did that. The source on that story was from Rotten Rodney, who has hiked the trail 4 times.

Egads. That's gross. Don't know why you got deleted, but good thing you had a backup copy of yourself.